Loan Out Your Equity (Not Your Cash)
Do any of my BP colleagues have experience or more info on a concept that I will refer to as equity loans with equity partners? This would be where Investor A owns equity in a property or several properties and allows Investor B to use that equity as collateral for a note.
I’ve heard of this concept before but haven’t really seen a good case study on it nor am I sure what it is called. A few challenges I could see are as follows:
- 1)Investor A needs to have assurance that if their property sells that the cloud placed on it by Investor B can be easily remedied. One example may be that the notes placed by Investor B have subordination and substitution clauses that allow them to be placed in a junior lien position or moved to a different property when Investor A’s property goes to market.
- 2)Investor B needs to have assurance that Investor A is not interested in placing the subject property on the market within the terms he needs.
- 3)Consideration for Investor A – If the note(s) held by Investor B has a term greater than a term that Investor A is willing to go, how should an agreement be structured? And what is a reasonable amount of dollars for allowing your property to be used as collateral?
I can see the incentive for Investor A earning a premium for allowing their property to be used as collateral. I can also see the incentive for Investor B having a place to park their notes during a time where their equity may be running low or tied up on a fix and flip. But I suspect there are considerations such as those mentioned above and others I haven’t thought of.