Are Note Finders just another broker?

Are Note Finders just another broker?

Professional · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2010 · 79 posts · 47 votes

Short intro, My name is Jerome and I'm a young new Notefinder without much experience. However, I have alot of knowledge of the Cashflow business/industry and I have closed 4 deals in this business which I believe balances out my lack of experience.

Now, I have seen and been through alot of ads, telephone calls, and emails that calls for their note to be sold, but once I say who I'am and what I do. I get told that they do not work with brokers and our business ends there.
Here's what I say, and this is what I''am, to people wanting to liquidate or sell their notes.

" I'am not a broker, I'am a Private Party CashFlow Specialist who focuses on monthly payments secured by real estate.So I work with people like yourself who are receiving payments on a mortgage and match them up with investors interested in purchasing them."

Note Finders and Brokers do share a familiar job description, but the key things that separate those two descriptions are that a Note Finder/CashFlow Specialist represents only himself and not his buyers, working independently not acting as agents, consultants, or assisting the structuring notes of any kind to our note buyers. Our job is to only act as matchmaker between noteholder and note buyer.

However, most disregard that defining detail and classify us as a broker. My first question is why do people dislike working with brokers anyway? Are their fees just too high?

Secondly , Am I the only NoteFinder here? Are there other NoteFinders, brokers and others that understand this matter and can give a comment? I do need help progressing in my chosen career path of working with notes until I can actually start investing in notes and properties myself.

0Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
16y

I think you are spending too much time and energy concerned about minute differences between brokers and finders. Your customers do not care about Fereral or State legislation, legal mumbo jumbo or whether they are customers or clients. To potential note sellers, you have no differentiation from a note broker. Further, they couldn't care less about terms and definitions; what is important is that you attempt to match a note buyer with a note seller, and you are not a direct buyer, but an intermediary.

The reason the more sophisticated note sellers do not want to engage an intermediary is that they can go direct to the source (direct buyers) themselves and avoid the middleman fee. Further, it seems like everyone and his brother has taken a course, seminar or workshop on how to become a note finder or cash flow specialist, and all these "experts" are chasing the same notes! I placed an ad on bigger pockets recently for a note I had for sale. Out of 26 responses 23 were from brokers, two were from individuals for their own account and one was from a direct buying institution. Most of the brokers asked us to fill out a standardized form (despite the fact that all the information was already provided to them), the form was exactly the same for each one! All claimed to work with exclusive buyers, but none were able to provide any testimonials or recomendations. The offers we received from these brokers were quite low.

The offer from the direct institutional buyer was somewhat higher than from the brokers, and the offer from one of the individuals was our full asking price (face value of the note) which we accepted and successfully closed.

So tell me again, why work with note brokers, or note finders?

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Colin, states may have a seasoning issue, but I doubt it. As long as you don't sell the same day and you're not churning notes, I doubt you'll have any issue with your portfolio management. If the question ever came up it would be an issue to determine as what your general activities are or have been. If you buy and hold for 2 weeks and never receive a payment, that will look like brokering. :)

  • Lender · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Then Bill Gulley I'm guessing for the note "finders" out there that the RE wholesaling strategies of contract assignment and using OPM to close on the note would not escape the broker license requirement either.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Bingo! That's my opinion. I'd say what do the activities conducted facilitate? If the activities effectively bring a note seller and a note buyer together to consumate a sale and assignment, for compensation or not, that's brokering IMO. If they actually take possession, with other funds (thier money) that would be as I mentioned above, but a continued activity clearly not for thier own portfolio is act in a business capacity and brokering, IMO :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.