Alabama Tax Certificates & Fire Dues (Jefferson County)

6 Replies

I have an issue with a property I have taken procession of in Forest Dale, AL. (Jefferson County)

When I took procession of it I had met a previous owner of the property who had lost it to Bankruptcy; and the bank foreclosed upon the property. The bank had the property for a few years (and paid taxes), however they had failed to pay taxes for 2016, and they tax certificate went up for auction in may of 2017. I purchased the certificate from the state of Alabama. I have a fee listed of $339.59 listed for "Fire Service Fee" on my tax certificate. The listed Fees are below.

When I met the  (once prior owner, but not delinquent tax payer) she happened to get in the mail the Fire Service bill for 2018. Keep in mind, that she was not the owner of the property for the past few years. How her name is still on this baffles me. 

Below is the Fire Due Bill she has received. Here name and the property address/parcel number, and account removed.

I tried to contact the Foredale Fire District and was unsuccessful when calling them, emailing them (as the email just gets rejected), leaving a voicemail.... #IdoNotCheckMyVoicemailEither

What do I do with this?

What was the $339.59 I paid for?

What is life?

If I pay these, am I able to add this to the bill if the taxpayer wishes to redeem?

As well - Alabama Tax Certificate laws are very unique. I respectfully ask that you keep this in mind when responding. 

Other liens paid by the tax certificate owner are reimburseable if there is a redemption. There is no appellate or statutory authority for things like HOA dues (which could become a lien if unpaid) or fire dues (ditto) but most experts agree you should be reimbursed if you pay them. Sorry, I wish I had a more definite answer.

Originally posted by @Denise Evans :

Other liens paid by the tax certificate owner are reimburseable if there is a redemption. There is no appellate or statutory authority for things like HOA dues (which could become a lien if unpaid) or fire dues (ditto) but most experts agree you should be reimbursed if you pay them. Sorry, I wish I had a more definite answer.

Thank you Denise.

I will mail them to try to figure this out. I cannot find anything recorded.

I wish they would call me back. lol.

I used to live in north Shelby County, and I remember having to pay fire dues every year. Also library dues.  You might call the fire department's business office.

On this same topic, how can an investor check if there are liens, unpaid dues on the property? In Jefferson County Al , is the landmark web a reliable source? Are there other ways other than hiring a title company to do a search?

This seems to be something I need to get better at.

If anyone has input on this, that be great.

None of this was found through Landmark for Jefferson County.

Originally posted by @Gene Walker :

On this same topic, how can an investor check if there are liens, unpaid dues on the property? In Jefferson County Al , is the landmark web a reliable source? Are there other ways other than hiring a title company to do a search?

I wanted to put an update for those out there that read this post when doing a search.

I have contacted the Fire Department Business Office. 

They actually couldn't find the payment on the tax certificate of 339.59.  Had to work with the state (with no response) and magically the payment appeared in their office.

I have been trying to get them to send me an invoice so I can pay this.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here