Buying a lot with recorded tax liens

Buying a lot with recorded tax liens

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Looking for my first lot to purchase and would love the community's thoughts on the risks associated with this transaction. 

I found a piece of land posted for sale by owner and priced at half of its market value. 

So far the catch I see is that the city has recorded tax liens on it since 1997 since 1997 to the tune of $7k. Of that $7k, $3,4k is listed as principal, $2k as interest, there's a little bit of penalty and $1.7k shown as "Other". 

Can I buy the property for what the seller is asking, pay the city the lien balances of $7k and call the title clear? Or are there other debts, liabilities, and hassles that are likely to result from this type of buy? 

If it matters, the tax account for the lot address is under Jane Doe and the property is showing as owned by John Dow trustee of Jim Doe (these are not the real names, but you get the idea). There's only one sale recorded for the land from over 60 years ago. 

I'm about to ask the seller for more info. I appreciate any advice on what I should watch out for and expect. Thanks in advance!

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Typically the sale should be free and clear oh All liens. The taxes get paid out of the sellers proceeds. Always use a title co and get title insurance.
  • Real Estate Broker · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    A title company will be able to help you with this purchase and get you clear title. Most probably the tax liens will need to be paid at closing by the seller. I would lock in the contract and send it over to the title company to start the transaction. They will run a lien search and get all the info regarding tax liens or any other liens associated with the property and present this to you. Hope this help!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.