Right of Redemption after property sold in a Sheriff's Deed

Right of Redemption after property sold in a Sheriff's Deed

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I need help.  I'm in the last leg of my Right of Redemption phase.  I've located the current owner and calculated all the fees including Interest and penalties.  I need a Sample Notice Letter of my intention to redeem... and if she refuses to accept the monies tendered, I need to know what will I need to file with the District Clerk's office along the the total sum.  I live in Texas.  I have only 7 days before my redemption period expires.

0Reply
24 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Ask your local tax office....the one that handles the redemption, they will know.....you don’t have time to do it wrong. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I went to them this morning... They were not ANY help at all... 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Travis Jeffery That surprises me, here they are very helpful. 

    I’d suggest a lical real estate attorney then, even though you probably din’t want to spend the extra miney. 

    Short of that, if you google up your state Statutes regarding Redemption of Tax sales.....the required procedure, exact form, timelines, etc. shiuld be there. 

    Any mailings of course need to be Certified with Return Receipt I imagine. 

    If the sale was done by the Sheriff office there, they may be of some help.....every state had a slightly different procedure. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Travis Jeffery I did a quick google, Texas statutes 34.21, didn’t see any specific form.

    Lone Star Land Law seems to be active in this area, should be simple for them, should be no need to actually go their office if they are not close by.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks Thanks so much for the advice

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Typically in Texas the tax offices do not have anything to do with redemptions.  It's between you and the purchaser.  You need to hire a board certified real estate attorney to write you a letter and request the redemption amount from the owner and write you a redemption deed.   

    You understand you will owe their purchase price,plus anything they have done to preserve, maintain, and secure the property, plus probably taxes for the past 2 years, and 50% penalty on top of all that.

  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Hi Travis,

    If you redeem your property, the person is required to accept your payment.

    Respectfully,

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    What was the outcome here? Did you redeem?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.