Tax Sale Auction is done - what now?

Tax Sale Auction is done - what now?

New to Real Estate · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 5 votes

Hi fellow BP community,

For the tax lien/ tax deed investors out there, I'm curious to know, what do you focus on once the tax sale season is over? I participated in my first tax sale auction in Baltimore City this summer - I didn't get anything but I learned a lot and I plan to bid with more purpose and seriousness when it comes round next year. But that's a while away, so I'm wondering what do those of you who invest in this RE asset class do when the tax sale season is over? Are you simply busy dealing with redemptions, title clearing, foreclosures, etc. from the lien certificates you won? Do you focus on another kind of real estate strategy while waiting for next year's tax sale auctions to come around? Do you focus on OTC sales is various locations all year around?

I'm currently reading the Bidding to Buy book by Aaron Amuchastegui and David Osborn and I'm thinking that foreclosures might be something I could focus on, pending my next foray into a tax sale auction. Plus, there is a bit of overlap with tax lien investing, so that can't be bad, can it?

I just kind of want to keep my momentum going after my first (albeit unsuccessful) tax sale experience. I'm interested to know what your journey was and what advice you can offer, if any.

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

@DL Coker Wait   .   .   .  wait   .   .   .    and wait

Once the auction is over The attorney takes it from there. I just wait. This is not a game for impatient people. However obviously I use my time for something. In the past it was finding and doing deals any way I could find them. Now our business has grown so much that we spend significant time just preparing for sale and selling the properties we have gotten judgments on.

Everyone is different but if you want to focus on tax sales there are many around the country at different times of the year.

You mentioned foreclosures. Maryland has a law, supposedly to protect, homeowners from investors. (abbreviated PHIFA) You need to be very careful when buying from a homeowner if they are in default of their mortgage. Not just a foreclosure having been started, but just behind on their mortgage. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    Everyone is different. I am usually dealing with the new properties I am getting from the previous years auction.

    I am always looking for a bargain to buy, I am flipping houses and loaning money that wasn't spent at the tax lien auction.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @DL Coker Wait   .   .   .  wait   .   .   .    and wait

    Once the auction is over The attorney takes it from there. I just wait. This is not a game for impatient people. However obviously I use my time for something. In the past it was finding and doing deals any way I could find them. Now our business has grown so much that we spend significant time just preparing for sale and selling the properties we have gotten judgments on.

    Everyone is different but if you want to focus on tax sales there are many around the country at different times of the year.

    You mentioned foreclosures. Maryland has a law, supposedly to protect, homeowners from investors. (abbreviated PHIFA) You need to be very careful when buying from a homeowner if they are in default of their mortgage. Not just a foreclosure having been started, but just behind on their mortgage. 

  • Texas Tax Sales Services · Merit, TX · Member since 2014 · 256 posts · 166 votes
    6y

    Check out tax sales in Texas.  We have them every month.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Lots of things you can do between now and next auction.

    Contact the people who bought the properties you like and see if you can buy their interests.  Some people end up with properties they didn't want, so sometimes just paying $100 or $1000 more to them for instant cash works.   Some don't know what they bought, so like the opportunity to get out.

    Start working the delinquent list now for next year's sale....might take you a year to work thru it.

    Work pre-foreclosures on mortgages.

    If properties were removed, because taxes are paid, you can still work those.  Maybe they want to sell and are in distress.

    Work other lists.   I drive every property I want to bid on, and invariably develop a second list of vacant, distressed, or other opportunity lists from those drives, when looking at the initial tax sale property.

  • New to Real Estate · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thanks to all for your responses - some really interesting points.

    @Ned Carey I didn't know about PHIFA. It seems quite tricky but I would hope a foreclosure and title attorney could assist with that. I'll do some more research.

    @Bruce Lynn There is some really useful advice in there. I like the idea of reaching out to people who bought properties I was interested in to see if they want to hold on to their interest or not. the pre-foreclosures angle is also something I've read about a lot and that seems to be an interesting avenue. The delinquent lists are indeed long and I will start trying to wok though what I can now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.