Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
I am currently serving in the Marine Corps and station overseas in southeast Aisa. I am quite new to the real estate game (meaning i have never done anything with real estate before) and have been doing research on it for the past month or so and have become real interested in investing into it. The one issue that has come up to me is that I am overseas and will be for the next three years or so. With that being said i would like some advice/help with how or where to start off. I've looked into "turnkey" properties, but with having no real resources besides google, I'm at a stand still. So any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. This is also my first post so feel free to talk to message me with any additional advice or even just to say hello. Thanks.
Real Estate Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2013 · 988 posts · 258 votes
13y
Travis Denny,
First and of primary importance, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND THE SACRIFICES YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND FRIENDS ARE ENDURING.
If you seek investing in U.S. real estate, may I recommend considering becoming a partner with a company or someone who shares your investment strategies in the community that you know best. The strategy considerations should include your idea of risk vs. reward, cash flow, safety, and most importantly, future concerns such as holding terms, economic considerations, and your portfolio desires.
Will this be your retirement nest egg, your monthly income, both, what you plan to pass on to heirs? All are your very own personal determinations. Others may offer recommendations, but the decision remains yours and your family’s with the guidance of professionals.
The same considerations should be addressed if you were presently here in the states.
The way you structure investment ownership makes a huge difference for today and in the future. You will need professional assistance from financial planners, tax attorneys, and real estate attorneys. They will include in the financial picture your military pay and retirement considerations. The money spent with professional advisors could be the cheapest money you will ever spend.
For investing now in the U.S., publically traded real estate investment trusts, R.E.I.T., may be a good option for you. However, I have noticed the value of some has been on the decline recently. This may be a result of future real estate predictions. Do not completely dismiss this consideration.
I am a third generation real estate investor, developer, property manager, and financier with almost 50 years of experience. I lean to be more conservative than many. I am beginning to follow what my father has been saying for years: “If it is not easy, lucrative, and fun; just don’t do it.” So, my suggestions may not fit your plans.
Professional · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 458 votes
13y
Travis Denny - I totally read your post wrong. Ignore everything I said :) Seriously.
Tom has some great advice. I have a guy in Brazil who does exactly what he said - found a partner in the US to buy apartment buildings. If you are interested, I am sure I have some clients of mine (some former military) that would love to chat with you and help you out. Let me know!
Real Estate Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2013 · 988 posts · 258 votes
13y
Travis,
We may speak the same language and have similar cravings: BBQ. I have Texas roots. I think it is the law that every home in Texas has a backyard grill.
Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
13y
I think purchasing Turn-Key properties is your best bet. Most other strategies require alot of hands on daily management/operation such as wholesaling, or Rehab/Flipping.
I would suggest completely passive investments such as :
1) Rental property managed by a reputable management company
2) Performing Notes/Liens serviced by a good loan servicing company
Kick back and collect the cash flow on any of the above no matter what you are doing, or where you are located.
Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
13y
Hi Travis Denny
Welcome to BiggerPockets!
Thanks for your service.
Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginner's Guide. You may also want to download the 2013 Housing Market Forecast from my website to help you navigate and narrow down some market choices.
Feel free to post any questions you have. There is lot of talent in the forums, and we're happy to help out.