Certificate for vacant commercial property, cand I take possessio

Certificate for vacant commercial property, cand I take possessio

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

We just got our tax certificate back (Birmingham, Alabama). The commercial property (building) has been vacant according to the business owner next door for nearly 1 year. The power and all other utilities are off, grass not cut (we had it cut twice) and cobwebs are covering all points of entry. It's clearly no one is maintaining it. 

BiG question: Do we have the right to enter the building and change locks to protect our interest in the property? Can we used the building for worship service?  -We are a  nonprofit (ministry) and want  to use it for conducting our services and outreach  in the  neighborhood for Christ. 

This is our first time doing this and definitely want to do it legally. PLEASE, HELP!!! GOD blesses whoever replies. Tkx!

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Denise Evans, I can’t tag her, is the expert on AL tax sales.  She has some YouTube videos, find a contact number and consult with her....the best money you could spend here.  AL tax laws have changed, and apparently procedures vary by county.

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Thanks @Wayne Brooks. @Donny B Robinson the answer is complicated and depends on a lot of factors. I'll send you a connection request. Just because the property is vacant and has been for along time does not mean it is legally abandoned and you are automatically entitled to enter. Like I said, it is complicated. For now, do nothing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.