Flying out to Kansas City 9/25-9/28

Flying out to Kansas City 9/25-9/28

Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes

Hi BP,

I'm flying out to Kansas City and will be there from 9/25-9/28 to look into the area and meet with TK providers. I've just contacted USREEB and KC Metro Homes to try and set up meetings. Anyone else folks recommend I meet? I have a few others on my list, but not sure which ones to meet to maximize my time there.

In addition, I'd love to meet with any local investors over a beer or coffee (on me!).

Lastly, if you have any recommendations of must-eats in Kansas City, please let me know. I travel to eat.

Thanks!

TJ

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

Jackstacks, Joes KC (orignal location), Jess and Jims, LC's (out by stadium)

Hope you like red meat and BBQ lol.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Jackstacks, Joes KC (orignal location), Jess and Jims, LC's (out by stadium)

    Hope you like red meat and BBQ lol.

  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 156 votes
    9y

    I would recommend Jack Stack BBQ. They have good food and damn good carrot cake. Some other good eats: 

    Philly Time (in briarcliff shopping center)

    http://places.singleplatform.com/philly-time-2/men...

    Long boards 

    http://longboardswrapsandbowls.com/

    Gates BBQ

    https://gatesbbq.com/

    Buca di beppo 

    http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

    Blue Line

    http://thebluelinekc.com/


    Are you looking to acquire TK small multi family or single family? 

    I grew up here and just returned after living on the East Coast the last 3 years. A buddy of mine and I decided to start a flipping business here so I figured now would be as good a time as any to come back. It's a quaint little city that you can't help but love.  

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Wilson:

    I would recommend Jack Stack BBQ. They have good food and damn good carrot cake. Some other good eats: 

    Philly Time (in briarcliff shopping center)

    http://places.singleplatform.com/philly-time-2/men...

    Long boards 

    http://longboardswrapsandbowls.com/

    Gates BBQ

    https://gatesbbq.com/

    Buca di beppo 

    http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

    Blue Line

    http://thebluelinekc.com/


    Are you looking to acquire TK small multi family or single family? 

    I grew up here and just returned after living on the East Coast the last 3 years. A buddy of mine and I decided to start a flipping business here so I figured now would be as good a time as any to come back. It's a quaint little city that you can't help but love.  

     Damn I forgot gates... Tech9 has a song about that on youtube haha.

    oh another good one is beer kitchen

  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Brian Wilson - right now am looking to start out in SFRs that cash flow well. just sent you a connection invite. let's meet up if you and your buddy have some time during that week.

  • Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 21 votes
    9y
    I'm in Overland Park, and I own rentals downtown KC... happy to grab a beer while you're in town
  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 184 posts · 223 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I would definitely have a chat with @Mike D'Arrigo before you head out.  You can find him here on BP. He's a TK provider. I'm in the middle of a purchase with him and his KC affiliate, and so far so good. He's given me pretty good advice on the different neighborhoods.

    One one of the things you should be careful to screen is the rehabber's rehab standards. They should be clearly spelled out, and should more than just cosmetics. They should be taking care of all of the big-ticket functional items - roof, hvac, water-heaters, plumbing, electrical, flooring, sinks, tubs. etc.

    If they are just throwing down paint and carpet, then you'll probably have a high capex in the next 5 years.

    James

  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @James Kojo - great advice, and that echoes what @Larry Fried said to me earlier today. I look forward to connecting with Mike. Thanks for the reco!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Unfortunately I am flying out on the 23rd!! 

    Best BBQ in KC: Q39 on 39th st (go for the judges plate with ribs, sausage, & something else, the chicken is amazing too)... and Joe's KC on 47th (Zman & fries!)

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Austin Fruechting:

    Unfortunately I am flying out on the 23rd!! 

    Best BBQ in KC: Q39 on 39th st (go for the judges plate with ribs, sausage, & something else, the chicken is amazing too)... and Joe's KC on 47th (Zman & fries!)

     Jack stacks rib sampler destorys all other bbq... Except for the zman lol

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:
    Originally posted by @Austin Fruechting:

    Unfortunately I am flying out on the 23rd!! 

    Best BBQ in KC: Q39 on 39th st (go for the judges plate with ribs, sausage, & something else, the chicken is amazing too)... and Joe's KC on 47th (Zman & fries!)

     Jack stacks rib sampler destorys all other bbq... Except for the zman lol

    I will fight you! Lol 

     Jack Stack *might* crack my top 5 but never where I take people or recommend. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Austin Fruechting:
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:
    Originally posted by @Austin Fruechting:

    Unfortunately I am flying out on the 23rd!! 

    Best BBQ in KC: Q39 on 39th st (go for the judges plate with ribs, sausage, & something else, the chicken is amazing too)... and Joe's KC on 47th (Zman & fries!)

     Jack stacks rib sampler destorys all other bbq... Except for the zman lol

    I will fight you! Lol 

     Jack Stack *might* crack my top 5 but never where I take people or recommend. 

     Not my picture, stolen off yelp. I'm torn though, it's really wired for me... way to sit down/formal for BBQ... but the prime rib ribs are on an entire level. 

    I want to know the top 5.... lol 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt K. KC BBQ is ok if you like the sugar rush but I am from Texas so ya know.....

    Seriously, there is only three places they say for BBQ. Texas, KC and Missouri. But there is also the pulled pork from Alabama/Georgia, the tri-tip from Cali etc, etc.........

    I am planning on making it up that way next year and will try that. My friends look at me funny when I order the KC style ribs at the restaurant locally. I think they forgive me though. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    @Matt K. KC BBQ is ok if you like the sugar rush but I am from Texas so ya know.....

    Seriously, there is only three places they say for BBQ. Texas, KC and Missouri. But there is also the pulled pork from Alabama/Georgia, the tri-tip from Cali etc, etc.........

    I am planning on making it up that way next year and will try that. My friends look at me funny when I order the KC style ribs at the restaurant locally. I think they forgive me though. 

     I got you covered on the tri tip haha... santa maria style or bust. Never had the pleasure of having local TX bbq, but spot by does it and they have shiner bock so they have to be at least semi legit. The south wins my stomach at times with the brunswick stew... 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    I used to be Jackstack mania but Q39 definitely topped it lol

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt K. To be honest I didnt even know what a tri tip was until I did a remodel for a Cali transplant here in Texas. He invited me over for a BBQ  and I was curious. As I got over there he showed me the little cut of meat I thought was a small roast. I'm thinking to myself its a brisquit  from a small calf or something. In was polite and didnt say anything though. But that thing was good I tell ya. He laughed at my surprise. 

    Thats when I realized I just liked BBQ no matter where it comes from. As long as the cook knows what he is doing that is. 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    @Matt K. KC BBQ is ok if you like the sugar rush but I am from Texas so ya know.....

    Seriously, there is only three places they say for BBQ. Texas, KC and Missouri. But there is also the pulled pork from Alabama/Georgia, the tri-tip from Cali etc, etc.........

    I am planning on making it up that way next year and will try that. My friends look at me funny when I order the KC style ribs at the restaurant locally. I think they forgive me though. 

     I got you covered on the tri tip haha... santa maria style or bust. Never had the pleasure of having local TX bbq, but spot by does it and they have shiner bock so they have to be at least semi legit. The south wins my stomach at times with the brunswick stew... 

    Forgot to add, if your ever down this way pm me and we'll find some good grub. If not I'll cook you some.

    Unless you can spot me a tri-tip that is......

    Cant even buy it down here. Its a conspiracy I tell ya. 

  • Excelsior, MN · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 27 votes
    9y
    Joe's KC all the way. Z Man and fries can't be beat. Johnny's BBQ in Mission on Martway is great as well.
  • Real Estate Broker · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    I'm with Worth Clark Realty if you need a good PM or RE agent. 

    Jack stack has my favorite beans & q39 is great as well. Tons of other good ones of course. I get spoiled going to agent open houses offering free bbq. Mmmmm.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I'm slightly shocked that no one has said Arthur Bryant's (original location only) for their sandwiches (beef and turkey combo heavy on the sauce).  It all depends want I'm in the mood for.  Gates for their ribs, Arthur Bryant's for their huge sandwiches, and KC Joe's for their Z-man.  I like Jackstack, but I feel like you pay for atmosphere and not food.  BBQ is not supposed to be that clean.  If you came at the beginning of the month over Labor Day you could have stopped by the American Royal BBQ competition and sampled BBQ Saturday.  

    I work downtown and live out by Cerner's new campuses.  I am new to RE investing and looking to house hacking my own home and start investing out there.

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    9y

    @Account ClosedI went to a Gates BBQ when I visited Kansas city last summer. I was great. The guy at the airport recommended it to me. If you want to check out other houses to compare them to TK houses just shoot me a message. These other ones are not on the Kansas City mls. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    mission accomplished! well, one mission at least. i ate KC bbq at q39 and jackstacks. the single best bite of my trip was the brisket from q39. thanks for the recommendations! i didn't have enough time to try all of the bbq spots. will have to try the other spots the next time i'm there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.