Which Kansas City Metro is Better? Independence or Lenexa

Which Kansas City Metro is Better? Independence or Lenexa

Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 45 votes

I am trying to choose between investing in two Syndication Opportunities in Kansas City as a Limited Partner and am seeking local BP input as to which neighborhood is may be better.

One of the Syndication Offerings involves a B class townhouse style community in the College Blvd and Hauser Street area of Lenexa with reported good access to Hwy 435 and Hwy 35....The other is a B class garden style apartment community along S. Jackson Drive in the Hwy 70 and Hwy 470 area of Independence.

Thanks in advance for any insight offered about the pros and cons of these areas or which neighborhood would be preferred over the other.

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 331 posts · 148 votes
7y

@David S. Lenexa is in Kansas. Downtown KC is in Missouri. Independence in Missouri. Vastly different feels, and end users. Lenexa has great schools and the development around the city center is incredible. Kiewit is moving a large portion of their employees there. We build SFR in Lenexa. I like certain parts of eastern Jackson county-lees summit, blue springs etc. Two totally different locations.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    7y

    @David S. apart from the limited location info you provided, how are other aspects of the deal?

    How are the numbers?

    and most important how is the operators/ Deal Sponsors?

  • Specialist · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 331 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @David S. I think you need to start with the end in mind. Not sure what your investment goals are and if they align with the business plan. I second @Hadar Orkibi in saying the GPs are more important than the location. Happy to chat with you as I am local and a sponsor here as well. 

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Logan Freeman @Hadar Orkibi. Thank you for your feedback. Let's assume I am happy with the sponsor and all the other components of the deals. They are both similar in that they are not overly leveraged (about 70% loan to purchase price and much better on loan to cost) and have 10 year fixed rate debt and offer similar COC with target 7 year hold).....I am just trying to choose between the two locations because I do not want to invest in both.

  • Specialist · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 331 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    With that being said, @David S. I would pick the one in KS.

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Logan Freeman. I thought both Lenexa and Independence were both in Kansas City. They both appear to be about 20 minutes away from Downtown KS. Independence is east of Downtown KC while Lenexa is SouthWest of Downtown KC. 

  • Specialist · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 331 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @David S. Lenexa is in Kansas. Downtown KC is in Missouri. Independence in Missouri. Vastly different feels, and end users. Lenexa has great schools and the development around the city center is incredible. Kiewit is moving a large portion of their employees there. We build SFR in Lenexa. I like certain parts of eastern Jackson county-lees summit, blue springs etc. Two totally different locations.

  • Andrew HoganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 559 posts · 463 votes
    7y

    @David S. I would say that Lenexa has superior commuting access, school districts, and population growth.

    I'd also look at specific tax advantages and fees with KS vs. MO, and the specific strategies intended to be implemented.

    Here is one of 3 helpful videos.

    https://ivanbarratteducation.com/video/vetting-a-sponsor-investment-strategies/

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    7y

    @David S. check on the FEMA website that the property is not i a flood prone area.

    there is a creak near by. it doesn't look like it but please double check.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @David S.

    I second Lenexa over Independence!

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 232 posts · 348 votes
    7y

    @David S. Considering location only and based on the fact that both syndication opportunities posses similar return targets, I would also vote Lenexa. Both areas seem to be solid B locations, however the property on College Blvd and Hauser Street is surrounded by A/B neighborhoods all throughout. The property along S. Jackson Drive has much less buffer between it and the surrounding riskier C, D and F locations.  If the intent is to hold long term, having a buffer may prevent the location from worsening over time if the city as a whole trends downwards. 

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2014 · 353 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    @David S. What are the terms? How did you find it?

  • Realtor · Lake Stevens, WA · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 91 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David S.:

    I am trying to choose between investing in two Syndication Opportunities in Kansas City as a Limited Partner and am seeking local BP input as to which neighborhood is may be better.

    One of the Syndication Offerings involves a B class townhouse style community in the College Blvd and Hauser Street area of Lenexa with reported good access to Hwy 435 and Hwy 35....The other is a B class garden style apartment community along S. Jackson Drive in the Hwy 70 and Hwy 470 area of Independence.

    Thanks in advance for any insight offered about the pros and cons of these areas or which neighborhood would be preferred over the other.

     I would agree with everyone else on Lenexa being the better area than Independence assuming everything else is equal.

  • Real Estate Agent · KCMO · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @David S. I would definitely go with Lenexa

  • Rental Property Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    I live in Lenexa - A class properties and the best schools.  

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    7y

    If it is flips Independence could work fix it sale it quick .Just a game  of numbers do the  work ?Long term hold go with Lenexa.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.