Criminal Complaint in Cleveland.

Criminal Complaint in Cleveland.

Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 45 votes

So i got a court notice yesterday from the county regarding a "criminal" offense that could result in jail time. Obviously I freaked out and after talking to a few lawyers I was really surprised.   In one of my properties the tenant left a trash can outside before 12:00, this was  considered a health violation which is also a misdemeanor. I have 7 days from the day the mail was sent to plead guilty and pay a $510 dollar fine.  

I then got a separate health code violation for the "waste" in the garbage can which was outside before 12:00.  This is another $510 dollar fine and also a criminal offense. 

Since i live outside the state it took longer than 7 days for me to get the mail. So i'm forced to hire a lawyer to show up in court to address the issue. Every lawyer i spoke to said the same thing, they don't have to give warnings and lately the county seems to be targeting LLC's holding property.

So just a heads up for others. 

4Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

" Hey Bud what are you in for? "  , i left my trash can out too long . " how about you ? "  I left grass clippings on the sidewalk .   

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    class act Mr. Wise to step up and help this person out ... especially with no strings attached. Bravo Sir
  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 47 votes
    8y
    Thanks for sharing!
    It's a shame that the city would fine that much for such pettiness!

    Originally posted by @Brian S.:

    @Johnathan Norman

    I haven't read every response in this thread, but seems like this issue may have been resolved. 

    I had a similar issue last year in Parma OH with the city fining $150 for a garbage can out one day later than it supposed to be. The property is in my name, not an LLC. I was livid about such pettiness from the city. In any case, I called the local council woman and she actually got it handled for me! I didn't have to go to court or pay the fine. She was awesome! But I just wanted to share this as another option if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

    Brian

  • Lender · All, Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    @Federico Gutierrez I have no idea how to do that as I'm out of state.

  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    I just got a court notice because tenant didn't cut grass. I called housing court and was told the fine is $510!

    @James Wise, Can you help?

  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    I just got a court notice because tenant didn't cut grass. I called housing court and was told the fine is $510! This happened in a single family house in Cleveland.

    @James Wise Could you please help?

  • Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 115 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Johnathan Norman:

    This is a duplex in Clark Fulton.  I know it is tempting to assume that since i got citied my PM isn't taking care of the property but I use a 3rd party service to check my properties  randomly.  Moreover I have multiple units throughout the city for years, none with a single issue. 

    I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the tenant left a trash can outside for a few days, I've personally done this at my own home when traveling.   I'm just not sure two $510 fines , without a warning, is really a reasonable response. 

     Hi Jonathan

    I got a similar criminal compliant for trash left by tenant outside home. Can you plz tell what James Wise did? did you pay the fine. 

    Thanks

    Sunny

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    The Holton-Wise legal team managed to get the fine dropped a bit but I still had to pay it, plus legal fees. I sold the property on the corner lot to avoid running into this issue again. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Johnathan Norman:

    So i got a court notice yesterday from the county regarding a "criminal" offense that could result in jail time. Obviously I freaked out and after talking to a few lawyers I was really surprised.   In one of my properties the tenant left a trash can outside before 12:00, this was  considered a health violation which is also a misdemeanor. I have 7 days from the day the mail was sent to plead guilty and pay a $510 dollar fine.  

    I then got a separate health code violation for the "waste" in the garbage can which was outside before 12:00.  This is another $510 dollar fine and also a criminal offense. 

    Since i live outside the state it took longer than 7 days for me to get the mail. So i'm forced to hire a lawyer to show up in court to address the issue. Every lawyer i spoke to said the same thing, they don't have to give warnings and lately the county seems to be targeting LLC's holding property.

    So just a heads up for others. 

     and people complain about Hoa's---

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.