Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 8 votes
Good Morning ladies and gentlemen. I'm trying to weigh my options on something. Maybe you can help me. I bid on an online auction property and won for $6,180. In the listing it said no earnest money deposit was required for the property. However, yesterday the portfolio manager sent me the contract asking for $3K EMD. When I mentioned that the listing stated no EMD was required, it said it was incorrect and EMD is required to proceed. What are my options if I don't have the $3K and my credit sucks?? What would you do?? Thanks in advance for all valuable responses.
Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 367 votes
7y
You have no cash and can't borrow any. What do you want us to tell you? Rob a bank? Wish upon a star? You just want to get mad when you are given solid advice outside of this odd deal. Here is my advice if you want to be successful in real estate but you don't want to hear. Real estate can be a small world. Be a man that the other party knows can carry thru with your commitments. Don't get into deals where you promise cash you can't either pull out of your mattress or get out of the bank the next morning. Honestly, if you can't lay your hands on cash in 24 hours you don't need to be involved in real estate. Build your real estate career on a solid foundation, not one built on dreams and gimmicks.
Real Estate Agent · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 39 votes
7y
@Reese Davis - To add on to Taylor's advice, maybe spend an hour on the phone with a RE lawyer familiar with auctions to assess options? Hope this helps. Good luck with the deal!
Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
7y
Why you bidding on an auction if you don't have the money?
Obviously with auction you pay cash. So you bid 6180 and won. I'm assuming you got the cash for that else why you bidding. So use that money as EMD will be subtracted from those proceeds.
Why you bidding on an auction if you don't have the money?
Obviously with auction you pay cash. So you bid 6180 and won. I'm assuming you got the cash for that else why you bidding. So use that money as EMD will be subtracted from those proceeds.
Why you responding to posts without reading the whole thing?? I clearly said the auction listing stated there was no EMD so I was expecting to bring the money to closing. I didn't anticipate having to wire it within 24-48 hours. But Thanks for your non-valuable comment.
Bruh. If I got a property for $6,180...I’d turn around and give it right back. Suspect city.
*grabs popcorn*
Bruh. It's an auction. They have lots of properties for $10K or less...as well as lots of properties over $10K...just depends on the condition and location of property.
@Reese Davis - To add on to Taylor's advice, maybe spend an hour on the phone with a RE lawyer familiar with auctions to assess options? Hope this helps. Good luck with the deal!
Nope...doesn't help but Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
7y
find a partner man, best you can do. Give them 50% for putting the money at risk. Call local wholesalers and housebuyers and hopefully they have a good reputation so you wont get screwed.
In the future make sure you can perform on what you bid on.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 172 posts · 122 votes
7y
@Reese Davis Can you please give us more info on this? It doesn't sound right?
You won an auction, for $6,180 and don't have 3k. I would assume when buy you would have at least 30k ready to fix the property.
If I were you I would ask to bring it down to $1000 because it was not documented anywhere in the auction that it was 3k. If you can't borrow it and if you don't have credit, pawn or use something as collateral for someone else to give you the money.
@Reese Davis Can you please give us more info on this? It doesn't sound right?
You won an auction, for $6,180 and don't have 3k. I would assume when buy you would have at least 30k ready to fix the property.
If I were you I would ask to bring it down to $1000 because it was not documented anywhere in the auction that it was 3k. If you can't borrow it and if you don't have credit, pawn or use something as collateral for someone else to give you the money.
I never said I didn't have $3K. I just don't have access to it in 24 - 48 hours since I would have to transfer it from one of my forex accounts. As I already stated, there was supposed to be no EMD so the $6,180 wouldn't have been due until closing which is on June 19 and wouldn't have been a problem. Also, I'm not planning on fixing the property, just selling as-is to a buy and hold investor. Your advice on getting them to lower it since it wasn't documented is a great idea. I will ask and see what they say. Thanks for taking time to respond.
I would write a check or go get a cashiers check if required.
You can'y buy without money.
I'm convinced many of you leave comments JUST to boost your post count. Thank You for letting me know I can't buy a house without money. I had no idea.
Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 367 votes
7y
You have no cash and can't borrow any. What do you want us to tell you? Rob a bank? Wish upon a star? You just want to get mad when you are given solid advice outside of this odd deal. Here is my advice if you want to be successful in real estate but you don't want to hear. Real estate can be a small world. Be a man that the other party knows can carry thru with your commitments. Don't get into deals where you promise cash you can't either pull out of your mattress or get out of the bank the next morning. Honestly, if you can't lay your hands on cash in 24 hours you don't need to be involved in real estate. Build your real estate career on a solid foundation, not one built on dreams and gimmicks.
You have no cash and can't borrow any. What do you want us to tell you? Rob a bank? Wish upon a star? You just want to get mad when you are given solid advice outside of this odd deal. Here is my advice if you want to be successful in real estate but you don't want to hear. Real estate can be a small world. Be a man that the other party knows can carry thru with your commitments. Don't get into deals where you promise cash you can't either pull out of your mattress or get out of the bank the next morning. Honestly, if you can't lay your hands on cash in 24 hours you don't need to be involved in real estate. Build your real estate career on a solid foundation, not one built on dreams and gimmicks.
Do you feel better now since you got that off your chest?? You clearly didn't read or comprehend any of my posts. I would never promise cash that I didn't have. The listing said there was no EMD required for the property so it was a mistake on their end. But Thanks for your non-valuable response. I don't appreciate your time.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Reese you just added what those of us that fly little airplanes call an addition to our experience bucket like not flying through violent weather LOL
we do a lot of buying at on line auctions.. there is always a deposit.. many times a deposit of 2500 just to make the bid..
So not sure how information got out there that no EM was needed.
now some areas in these low value assets folks use 10 bucks and such..
Anyway.. on larger deals we buy that are over 100k to 200k we usually have to put up 5 to 10k.. as EM now for me I like that keeps the wholesalers at bay.. and evens the playing field your not competing against folks that cant perform .
now you know be ready next time.. there are plenty of these properties .. PLENTY>. And stay away from thunderclouds.
Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 8 votes
7y
Hey Jay...yes, there usually is a deposit and that's why I was so surprised when I seen this and jumped on it after doing more research. Here's a screenshot for the non-believers. I have no reason to lie and I can read very well. This is a screenshot I took 2 days ago. I just checked the website again and I see they have updated it to $2,500 but my contract still says $3,000 so go figure.
Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
7y
Be thankful that the Investing Gods were looking out for you. You don't have the money, sounds like you don't have the experience, and you are trying to buy a $6K property as if it wouldn't require more money. Again, just be thankful there was an error and you were saved from yourself.
Be thankful that the Investing Gods were looking out for you. You don't have the money, sounds like you don't have the experience, and you are trying to buy a $6K property as if it wouldn't require more money. Again, just be thankful there was an error and you were saved from yourself.
Here we go...another non-reader. I do have the money. I just can't access it within 48 hours. Why is that so hard to comprehend?? And I didn't TRY to buy a $6K property. I bought it and closing on June 19th. And it's NOT going to require more money because I'm selling it IMMEDIATELY to a buy and hold investor. People think they know everything and know nothing SMH.