Chattanooga too good to be true?

Chattanooga too good to be true?

Lebanon, OR · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes

I am from Oregon, and have been looking to get started with buy and hold investing here. It's been pretty hard finding cash flow properties here, so my wife and I have been discussing the prospect of investing out of state. My brother in law lives in Chattanooga, so I started looking ok Zillow, rentometer, and Craigslist just to get a feel for the market. 

At a glance so far, it looks like Chattanooga blows my area out of the water in terms of rent/purchase price ratio. I'm seeing dozens of properties in the 2-4% range on the MLS. In Oregon, we are really struggling to even find 1%, so this area seems like a gold mine. I would have boots on the ground with my BIL to help as well.

My question is basically, what's the catch? Taxes and prices seem low, rents fairly high. Is there something I'm not aware of that I should be? Bad neighborhoods? Unfair tenant laws? I don't know, something? This seems too good to be true.

Also are there any recommendations for Realtors, property managers, contractors, etc in the Chattanooga area?

Thanks!

2Reply
318 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 14 votes
9y

The meanie side of me says, stay out of our market you out of towners! ;) But the other side says, yes, Chattanooga is a great market to invest in! There's lots of competition so off of market deals are the best. 

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 36 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    I’ve got a bunch if stuff in chatt. Haven’t been able to find a damn thing lately 

     They're popping up here and there. Winter seems to be a great time to pick up deals. That's when I found my last two duplexes.

  • Chattanooga · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    There are deals to be had in the area. Alot depends on your criteria and what exactly your looking for. Send me a pm if your interested in speaking further, lets talk. 

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Glad to see this thread come back to life! I have been a listener of bigger pockets, but new to the forum. I am from Atlanta and have some out of state investments, but looking to start investing in a more local market and have heard great things about the Chattanooga market, but also seen prices rising pretty quickly in the area. Are there any areas you all would recommend looking at this time? Not afraid to purchase something that requires a good bit of work before setting it up as a long term rental. 

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I’m currently in Seattle but am interested in investing in Chattanooga. Went to UT Knoxville and always went down to Chattanooga to ride at Enterprise South or Raccoon Mtn. Love that place. Let me know if y’all would be willing to share your wholesaler connections in town!

  • Rental Property Investor · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    I'm glad to see this thread is alive again, I have also been researching the area, i visited the area about two years ago and like it. As I am researching I did come across this article, it is about a year old now so I was wondering what the boot on the ground are seeing today. Was this article ever correct? Is the market getting tighter or is it still growing great? I have heard some people say there need to be more jobs created to continue to sustain the growth? I'm just sharing what I have found because the area does look great. Thank you for everyone else's in put as well.

    https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2018/nov/18/growth-forecast-cloudier-expected/483285/

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Travis Harden:

     Is the market getting tighter or is it still growing great? 


    Travis, I would definitely say our job market outlook is climbing.  This article was posted yesterday by Forbes and claims Chattanooga is the top city for jobs in 2020! 

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/vickyvalet/2019/12/10/where-the-jobs-will-be-in-2020/#6b23adec5dec

  • Rental Property Investor · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Megan Burrows yes I definitely have been watching, I believe jobs have been growing faster then the national average and are projected to continue. It is just an article I have seen and wanted to get it out there again to get more input on it. Do you think the apartment rentals are over build like they suggest?

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    I don’t see a lot of new tract housing being built in the areas I’ve driven around. Which leads me to hope there will be a shortage. Either way it’s been good to me so far. There are deals out there you just need to learn the right areas and network with locals that can give advice. There are rumors that more big companies are headed that way. 

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    Two articles that can help give more insight. I’m happy to keep all the available deals to myself but I think there is room to share. 😉

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/v...

    https://www.noradarealestate.c...

  • Rental Property Investor · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Dave Malone thank you for your insight I might have to make a trip down that way.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Hi all, 

    This is a great thread, learned a lot from everyone involved. I’m looking for rentals and flip opportunities in Chattanooga. It would be great to connect with some local investors to talk about the market. I’m happy to share what I find as well through my virtual research. Please feel free to reach out to me via DM. Thanks!

  • New to Real Estate · Nashville, TN · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Dave Malone

    Appreciate the article links - very good insight. My wife and I just moved to Nashville and are looking at the surrounding areas to pick up our first investment property.

    What types of properties are you buying in Chattanooga?

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    Mainly single family BRRRRR and one flip now. We just moved to Nashville from Northern California a year and a half ago. Happy to chat with you sometime.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    Chattanooga is alive and well, the most booming areas in my opinion right now (highest growth and still reasonable pricing) are East Brainerd, Red Bank, and some parts of East Ridge. The economy hasn't slowed down and hopefully the next 6 months to year will lower some of the housing prices in the market and allow investors to pick up great deals. If you're out of state investing I'd highly suggest utilizing all resources to find the best deals in locations you desire including but not limited to realtors, property managers, wholesalers etc. the best deals are certainly not going to be on the market majority of the time!

  • Allen, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Anyone have referrals for PM in Chattanooga for OoS investor?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    Hi Patrick, have you spoken to @Reese Hamilton?  

  • Allen, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I will speak to her. Thank you Adrienne.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 3 votes
    5y

    As an investor and wholesale for the past 12 years in Chattanooga, I’d be careful of who I’d let manage my rentals.  Personally I use whitewater Pm,   Or First Pm.   Both do great work. Ibuy423.com/property-listings/  

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Patrick Allen I would recommend Tunnel PM! If you’d like any details, just shoot me a message.

  • Jason BrungardtPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Just to give you a resource, Trulia.com has a crime tab you can click on in every market that they service.  I don't know if it is accurate, but it is there.  
  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 46 votes
    5y

    @Patrick Allen PM Companies: Tunnel PM (Philip Rykwalder), First PM USA (Brian Leveredge), Whitewater Property Management (Ashley Cross) and Scenic South Property Management (Michael John Kelly)! Let me know if you need emails & phone numbers otherwise a google search should pull them up!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.