House Flipping Short-Term Mentor

House Flipping Short-Term Mentor

Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 60 posts · 43 votes

Hello everyone,

I've been following bigger pockets throughout my college years and recently graduated, landed a job that I've enjoyed, and purchased a personal home with my wife. I'm currently working on saving up capital and would like to make my start in real estate investing by flipping houses. I love bigger pockets but am also a Dave Ramsey type of guy, not into taking out loans aside from a personal mortgage. My goal is to purchase my first investment property in the next 1-2 years, which is when I predict I'll have the cash to do so.

Anyways, I'm looking for someone that has experience in house flipping that would like to engage in a few mentoring sessions. I'd love to learn about your experience, success/failures, and help me set a plan. I'm not looking to get into any official paid coaching program, but would love to purchase a meal for anyone who'd be willing to meet up!

-Jack Faysash

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · East Central Florida · Member since 2021 · 121 posts · 94 votes
4y

Jack,

Good for you. Sounds like you are on the right track. I, too, am not a fan of using other people's money, unless I absolutely have to. I started my first project, years ago, with $35k of my own money and have not looked back. I am fairly certain I only ever used "hard money" for three total projects and I am above 20 projects now. During my flipping time, I have brought in a few people to mentor, but I think San Antonio would be just a bit far for either of us to travel to the other. I would imagine you will find someone in the local area. If you don't get any good prospects from this forum, try looking around at your local REIA. I usually connect with newer people in mine all the time. Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · East Central Florida · Member since 2021 · 121 posts · 94 votes
    4y

    Jack,

    Good for you. Sounds like you are on the right track. I, too, am not a fan of using other people's money, unless I absolutely have to. I started my first project, years ago, with $35k of my own money and have not looked back. I am fairly certain I only ever used "hard money" for three total projects and I am above 20 projects now. During my flipping time, I have brought in a few people to mentor, but I think San Antonio would be just a bit far for either of us to travel to the other. I would imagine you will find someone in the local area. If you don't get any good prospects from this forum, try looking around at your local REIA. I usually connect with newer people in mine all the time. Cheers!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hello everyone,

    I've been following bigger pockets throughout my college years and recently graduated, landed a job that I've enjoyed, and purchased a personal home with my wife. I'm currently working on saving up capital and would like to make my start in real estate investing by flipping houses. I love bigger pockets but am also a Dave Ramsey type of guy, not into taking out loans aside from a personal mortgage. My goal is to purchase my first investment property in the next 1-2 years, which is when I predict I'll have the cash to do so.

    Anyways, I'm looking for someone that has experience in house flipping that would like to engage in a few mentoring sessions. I'd love to learn about your experience, success/failures, and help me set a plan. I'm not looking to get into any official paid coaching program, but would love to purchase a meal for anyone who'd be willing to meet up!

    -Jack Faysash

     Jack it sounds like you’re on the right track by being interested in real estate and buying your Personal residence. I’m one of those that Is glad that I own my own house and don’t rent from somebody else. With that being said, Offering someone a meal in exchange for free training is a little…. Well it’s a little more generous than the last guy that was offering a free coffee in exchange for free training. 😂

    I’m sure there’s a boatload of Hungary realtors that would be happy for you to buy their lunch. Hopefully you take them to the Steakhouse instead of Taco Bell.

    Happy eating.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 60 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    @Chad Shultz I actually grew up in the Tampa area and graduated from UCF in May, maybe we'll cross paths at some point. My wife is in the air force which brought us to San Antonio currently. Awesome to hear all the projects you've been able to accomplish starting with $35k. And thanks for the tip, I'll look into the local REIA chapter!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    4y

    @Account Closed has tried to subtly express to you, you should find your "mentor" organically by attending meet ups or REI groups and connecting with someone, or reaching out to an individual who you notice posts ideas and thoughts you find interesting. But a blanket "I will take you to lunch" strategy can seem egocentric and almost insulting. I know you don't mean to send out that vibe, so I hope you take my comments as constructive. Best of luck to you!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    Lost of free info here that will be invaluable in your journey.  Understand what you truly want to accomplish in real estate before looking for a mentor.  There is alot of great info out there.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I would network with other investors. Alamo Investors has a REIA that meets the 2nd Thursday of the month. I have a group that meets 2nd Wednesday of the month(see my profile). @Manaia Alalamua has a group that meets every month. Lots of folks are doing what you want to do. Learn from them. 

    BUT if you want to talk to someone...my wife and I love Fleming's Steak House. The 3 of us could rack up about $500 bill with steak, wine and dessert. Its all up to you. Quick and easy will cost you more money. Long slow and more difficult will be pretty much free. Get the basics down AND THEN pay some money for the specifics that you need to learn.

    Its kinda like buying a rehab house. I market, network, have a meetup, several Facebook pages, insta, I go live every week, am a contractor, even have a wine therapy session starting up again next month. All this work gets me a deal a month or every two months. Lots of work to find a WAY WAY WAY below market priced house to flip. I could just go to the MLS and find one there, but it would be pretty close to market price. Easy will cost more money.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.