Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes

Dear Fellow BPers in and around Tokyo Japan.

I would like to get a small informal get-together going on a regular basis somewhere in Tokyo. Open to anyone willing to make the trip of course, but likely folks from the Kanto area - Yokohama, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, etc?

Please reply here in case you're interested, and if you want to help organize, even better! :)

Let's try to get the first meeting going in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully make it a monthly thing??

@Pyrrha Rivers

@Kristin Shitara

@Naga A.

@Zachary D.

@Nick Brubaker

@Maria Kovach

@Greg Christensen

Please feel free to tag and invite anyone else that you know who might be interested!

Best Regards,

-Dmitri

2Reply
1,056 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
11y

@Daniel 

@Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

214 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    Awesome! We had 4 people at our meetup when we put the next one on meetup.com. Got 12 the next time and it grew from there. Reach out anytime to discuss meet ups or investing. 

    @Trevor Moss

    Yeah, in general, sticking with what you know is one way to limit risk. I would've if I knew a market that matched my goals. 

    After doing the research, I was fortunate to find partners through BP which I'll post about next. Without the right partners (since it was my first investment), I'm not sure if I would've invested. Good luck and feel free to reach out anytime. 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Daniel Ryu I hope somebody in my group is techno savvy and willing to take the meetup.com step.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Pyrrha Rivers I'm sorry I didn't jump in sooner! I'd certainly be willing to get one set up. We just need to figure out where to base it (eg. Yokohama), and what tags to apply (Inveating, Real-estate, Cashflow, Bigger Pockets) etc. It also requires a small monthly payment, so once it's started we've got our impetus to meet at least once a month (lol).

    Speaking of which, I'd say it's nearing the time to propose another Yokohama area meet-up! November is sneaking up rather quickly. Shall we try for a gathering sometime around Halloween? I'd love to share ghost stories from the point-of-view of the haunted house owner haha;)

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Pinkston I guess the tech question will need to be answered by the group we're able to gather and yes, we should start planning the November meeting. The venue of last meeting was perfect and "Haunted House" theme seems perfect! I'm sure we all have our personal horror story to share. The Thursday closest to Halloween is the 29th. Let's see what our colleagues say. @Dmitri L., @Allan L., @Jeff Sprunger, @Trevor Moss, @Nick Brubaker, @Leo A., @Dan Baker, @Naga A., @Danny and although not here until December I wanted to include @George Calbert in the conversation and

    @Danny Hubbard as well. Please respond and include others who you know may be interested.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 186 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Pyrrha

    Thank you for mentioning my name.  I would like to join you guys in the next BP meet up in Tokyo.  

    Naga

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Pinkston

    I am all in for the meetup.com idea and excited to provide inputs.

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    I may not make it on the 29th due to work event but will let you guys know for any changes.

    Thanks and regards to all.

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I'm always interested in going, but it just depends if it matches my busy schedule. 

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y

    Hello Tokyo BP Friends!

    Just wanted to update you all on the Seoul REI Meetup.

    We've got @Ben Leybovich as our guest speaker for Saturday, Oct 17, 1-3pm.

    If you want see how our meetups are run, we'll be broadcasting on Periscope (it's like Youtube LIVE streaming):

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/23...

    Let me know if you have any questions!

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    Thank you for keeping me in the loop @Pyrrha Rivers. I have been busy with some major transitions since the August meetup.  I have moved back Atlanta and will be doing research and making plans to buy my first property hear or somewhere else in the US in the coming weeks.  Good luck with future meetups!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    Awesome to know you're in Atlanta, @Nick Brubaker! Where in Atlanta. Back in Decatur? Keep in touch and let me know what you're finding. Atlanta is my investment area so it's good to have other investor opinions and eyes there.

    Best wishes in GA!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Ryu i am very impressed and intrigued as to how you're going to pull this thing off, especially with a guest speaker in the US. How are you managing the time difference? would you share access to your meetup either live or the recording? I would like to see this Periscope you're using.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Pyrrha Rivers:

    @Daniel Ryu i am very impressed and intrigued as to how you're going to pull this thing off, especially with a guest speaker in the US. How are you managing the time difference? would you share access to your meetup either live or the recording? I would like to see this Periscope you're using.

    Thanks! 

    Those are great questions. This is the first time we're trying this.. so it'll be a little learning by trial. But it's best to jump in feet first.

    One thing that's helped - I've been able to grow our organizers by three additional people - we have a US / Korea Liason, a bilingual research analyst, and another coordinator. They've been invaluable for helping to organize all of this.

    For Periscope - You'll have to download the app and probably set up an account. Then search for 'Seoul REI Meetup' and we'll start broadcasting around 1p. We'll also tweet out a link to our broadcast as well. Twitter ID: @seoulreimeetup

    It's an open broadcast so anyone can watch - just download the app ahead of time.

    For the Time Difference - I let speakers on the East Coast know that it'll be a late night for them if they want to join - 12:30am. West Coast speakers - it's a little better - 9:30pm.

    None of the speakers have had a problem with this and usually what happens is the speakers end up staying on longer than 30 minutes. It's a pretty fun, unique experience to talk to people on the other side of the world.

    The speakers appear through Skype. The room we use has a projection screen TV, that I connect my computer to. (You can use your computer, though, if you have a smaller group. Just make sure you have good speakers so everyone can hear.)

    One of our organizers will hold the phone camera (with a selfie stick) to broadcast it through Periscope. The broadcast is nothing fancy - just your phone camera capturing everything and relaying it live through the app.

    I hope you can join us at 1p! If you do, be sure to leave a message - Periscope allows people to leave comments - as well as any questions you might have. We'll try to incorporate them into our meetup ^^

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Ryu I'm impressed with how well you got everything together there, and I really appreciate you coming into this forum to share! It's awesome that you got @Ben Leybovich as a guest speaker!! His style of investing and the things he's accomplished is legendary, and exactly what I hope to be able to do someday. His story is pretty amazing too. I'd definitely encourage anyone reading this to tune in.

    Thanks for broadcasting this. Though I'll be out and about at 1, I'll certainly be listening in! (3 cheers for the modern age where we have the technology to do this:)

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Pinkston:

    @Daniel Ryu I'm impressed with how well you got everything together there, and I really appreciate you coming into this forum to share! It's awesome that you got @Ben Leybovich as a guest speaker!! His style of investing and the things he's accomplished is legendary, and exactly what I hope to be able to do someday. His story is pretty amazing too. I'd definitely encourage anyone reading this to tune in.

    Thanks for broadcasting this. Though I'll be out and about at 1, I'll certainly be listening in! (3 cheers for the modern age where we have the technology to do this:)

    Thanks Matthew! I saw you on Periscope so thanks for participating ^^

    My fellow organizers,

    @Benjamin Hauser

    Ingue Chun

    @Natalie Heo

    &

    @jean luc leese also get a lot of credit for helping to pull this off.

    If any of the Tokyo members are interested in watching the replay, I think it's good for 24 hours on Periscope!

    Introduction and Ben Leybovich on the Meetup

    https://www.periscope.tv/w/aPH8kTFXTEVSUHlrRHpLYkR8MWRSSlpCWEFOVm9KQj7wRXNypWq6IsfUvqGgwXEw4F6Ln-4Z7LbPdJRNdHsX

    * Introductions from the Group

    * Ben Leybovich Speaks (Ben goes through a spreadsheet that he created specifically for our meetup. He discusses capital expenditures, turnkey properties, cashflow, and why he thinks that $40,000 properties won't cashflow. You definitely want to check it out! Ben really does go into the type of detail that normally you would have to pay to learn. So we're very grateful to him for taking the time to put that together for us and for teaching us his perspective!)

    Korean Market Overview

    https://www.periscope.tv/w/aPH89jFXTEVSUHlrRHpLYkR8MXluS09RTlZSbnpKUhRz9BRLac9eCSkxtwfdLZd24l4_fZ7bFOorAX5RXsyh

    * Research on different areas in the Korean Market

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y

    By the way, Tokyo BP Members - if you're ever headed to Seoul for a visit, be sure to shoot me a message and we can plan a get together.

    We have a BP member from the US coming to visit Korea next week and we'll be planning a dinner or coffee or something.

    Great to connect with other international investors!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Ryu I had to sign up for Twitter and Periscope but successfully joined your meetup. Thank you for sharing the information making it possible for me to join. It was great having a live conversation entering my living room since due to time differences I always have to rely on recordings. @Ben Leybovic was a very informative and gracious speaker. 

    I really enjoyed it.

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Pyrrha Rivers:

    @Daniel Ryu I had to sign up for Twitter and Periscope but successfully joined your meetup. Thank you for sharing the information making it possible for me to join. It was great having a live conversation entering my living room since due to time differences I always have to rely on recordings. @Ben Leybovic was a very informative and gracious speaker. 

    I really enjoyed it.

    Thanks!

     Thanks for joining us! Great to be able to share our meetup with others. We'll definitely keep everyone posted if we plan do more live events. It's fun to do but I think

    @Benjamin Hauser

    arm is about to fall off from holding his iPhone still for 2 hours!! LOL.

    Time to get a selfie stick ^^

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    I'm sharing the link with the Yokosuka people. Hopefully they get to enjoy it.

    What about a tripod for the phone? Surely there is a technology solution to that problem. Poor Benjamin Hauser!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Was I fabulous, or not so much...?

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Was I fabulous, or not so much...?

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    LOL! Yeah.. If we can invest overseas in properties without having set foot inside them.. you'd think we'd be able to solve the problem of a tripod! ^^ We'll figure it out I'm sure.

    @Ben Leybovich

    Even at 1:30am, you looked and sounded fabulous! Thanks for that spreadsheet walkthrough. So much value for the group to get a more in depth look at how to calculate the numbers.

    "The numbers tell a story..." => my new favorite saying.. The only problem: I have to remember to give you credit everytime I tell people that!!

  • Investor · Shibuya Ku, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Hey @Matthew Pinkston @Pyrrha Rivers let me know when you figure out the date for the meetup later this month I may try to stop by if I'm able.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Hello all!

    I've went ahead and made a reservation at Uotora Honten (魚寅本店) on the 29th of this month (October, 2015) at 7:00 pm under the reservation name "Tateyama"

    Here's the link to the venue (In Japanese): http://tabelog.com/kanagawa/A1401/A140101/14006982...

    The easiest way to get there is to take the Northwest exit from Yokohama station. Cross the small street right in front of you and follow the building around to the other side.
    Here's a streetview link so you'll know more or less what you're looking for. 
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@35.4674817,139.6224...

    All who are available are invited! Though, it would help if you let me know if you intend on coming so I can update the reservation if needed.

    Hope to see you there!

    @Dmitri L. @Allan L. @Jeff Sprunger @Trevor Moss @Leo A. @Dan Baker @Naga A. @George Calbert @Account Closed @Danny Hubbard

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Pinkston

    Thanks for setting up the next meet up. Unfortunately, as of now, I will not be able to attend due to other commitment(work event) but will definitely keep in touch with you guys.

    Regards and looking forward on attending the next one.

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    sorry guys I can't get to get to the area until around 815.   I'll have to skip out on this one again 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Dan Baker

    Last time we ended up sticking around for a while, so I'm sure it's not a problem if you come a little later. 

    @Matthew Pinkston

    Not sure I'll be able to make it, yet. Let me confirm early next week. Thanks for setting it up!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.