Looking for referrals and opinions on Fort Worth area

Looking for referrals and opinions on Fort Worth area

Investor · Quilcene, WA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes

Hey All,

We are about to sell one of our properties in Washington state and want to relocate our money to a more landlord friendly state. We will be doing 1031 so will be short on time and are preparing ahead of listing the houses. We normally purchase in what we call fringe areas, places that are commutable to a metro area but not so close that they are congested. We are simple country people who don't do well with crowded cities and don't really understand what that type of people are looking for in a unit.

To begin with, I need an investor friendly Realtor who can help me with finding the right property and a PM as I can't really manage a property so far from my home base.

I have chosen the DFW area for multiple reasons, not just the better legal situation. I spent 16 years east of Albuquerque so TX isn't a far leap. DFW doesn't have the awful humidity in the Gulf Coast. It is closer to home than Florida which is choice #2, although also very humid. I don't care much for hot and humid. I also feel that the area has had pretty steady growth over my lifetime and isn't likely to have fluctuations like some places that have a single industry.

So please offer your opinions on agents, PMs and towns.

Thanks

Sharon

1Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y

@Sharon Rosendahl thanks for reaching out. I could probably list a TON of other benefits to real estate in DFW (I move here from NY and it's like the promise land to me here) but let me provide you two suggestions:

  • @Joe Funari is an active real estate investor and is a real estate agent on the Fort Worth side of town.  Very hard worker and he's active on Bigger Pockets too.
  • @Kyle Mccaw is an amazing property manager.  He is ALSO a real estate investor.  

I am sure there are others that are very good but those two come with my highest possible recommendation.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Sharon Rosendahl thanks for reaching out. I could probably list a TON of other benefits to real estate in DFW (I move here from NY and it's like the promise land to me here) but let me provide you two suggestions:

    • @Joe Funari is an active real estate investor and is a real estate agent on the Fort Worth side of town.  Very hard worker and he's active on Bigger Pockets too.
    • @Kyle Mccaw is an amazing property manager.  He is ALSO a real estate investor.  

    I am sure there are others that are very good but those two come with my highest possible recommendation.

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Sharon Rosendahl DFW should be a great place to invest. It is very landlord friendly. Personally I love the strong economics of this area. The job growth here is off the charts. Corporations keep announcing their intent to relocate here almost daily. Joe Funari understand the area well and owns rentals himself. When you are looking for an agent to help you find rental properties it is very important the agent have personal experience. He does. If you are looking for financing Andrew Postell specializes in rental properties. In fact he was just listed in D Magazine for being one of the top mortgage originators here.

    McCaw Property Management4.4905 Reviews
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Sharon Rosendahl

    I moved here from Northern California 22 years ago and love it. I’ve got rentals out here and boots on the ground if you need any contacts. Ft worth is a good area I like to invest in. Closing on my 11th property (in ft worth) tomorrow morning. PM me if you need any help. I’ve got a couple good RE investor realtors too if you need. I’m really bullish on this area for rentals. Massive growth. Half of CA is moving here it seems. Lol. Small and big businesses from highly taxed states keep moving here. Just not enough housing for all the growth. So I’m big on buy n holds here. PM me if you need anything. And welcome to Texas!

  • Investor · Quilcene, WA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
    5y

    Hi All,

    Thank you for the welcome and the info. I still work a demanding W2 but will be reaching out to some realtors and lenders to begin with. Our tenant has until August 31 to move out but I think they are planning on being out at the end of July. We will have some work to do as we need to paint, carpet and do whatever else is needed plus finish up the other unit on the property. I am hoping that this means we will get the end of summer traffic for the sale (it is a summer tourist town).

    Please keep suggestions and opinions coming!

    Thanks

    Sharon

  • Anna CatronPro Member
    Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 87 votes
    5y

    We just can't say enough about DFW.  We're still small potatoes, but are in love with the area.  One area I don't hear much about, but that has big potential is Longview, east of the metroplex.  Buying low is still possible and appreciation is fantastic! Doesn't feel like a metroplex, but is getting some of the perks, good medical care and good jobs!  

    Yes, many many are moving here and there's room for us all! Welcome!

  • Investor · Quilcene, WA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
    5y

    @Anna Catron

    Thank you. I looked at some of the listing available and the prices are certainly what I'm looking for but according to BP rent estimator the rents are also really low. But, the BP estimator also has low confidence in its pricing. I looked at a house that looked quite nice, 160k list price, 3 bed 2 bath, 2400 sf. according to BP the rent would be $950 per month. Is this accurate? 

    Thanks

    Sharon

  • Garrett MinterPro Member
    Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Sharon Rosendahl the while the BP rent estimator is a good "estimator" the best thing to do is always check zillow, rent.com, FB marketplace etc for actual rentals in your prospect area and see what comps are actually going for.

  • Investor · Quilcene, WA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
    5y

    @Garrett Minter Thank you for the tip. Our tenants should be out this week and we will assess the property next week. Hopefully, we can get it on the market quickly and start looking for our new places in TX.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.