Why is everyone against paying for a seminar?

Why is everyone against paying for a seminar?

Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes

Please read my post before answering willy nilly, but I was wondering why is everyone here so against paying for real estate educational information?

I will preface to say that there are quite a few hucksters selling irrelevant or even wrong information to those willing to hand over their credit card. I myself have paid for plenty of that, but for the sake of this post lets disregard them, just as we would disregard all of the slum landlords or fraudulent real estate investors out there.

To start, it seems when anyone asks about a seminar or person promoting one, the default answer is "you can find everything you need to know by reading it here." I will say this is probably the best site on the internet today for this type of information, hands down. But everything you need to know, not remotely possible.

The second thing, is that you should learn everything for free. Why shouldn't people get paid for providing useful information? The reason all of us are here is because we are looking to make money in this business. Then why wouldn't we want others to get paid, if they could help us make money? Bigger Pockets itself has paid memberships(which I gladly pay every month), not to mention ads. They need to keep the lights on and deserve to make something for doing it.

I will say there are quite a few people here that do take time to post useful information and are not generally looking for anything in return. Some do it as a form of networking and are looking for something out of it. A minority have already made something and are just looking to give back, with no need of return at all. Still I don't fathom either renting a conference room and taking 3 days of their time to share all that they know for free.

I am not pushing any guru, nor do I have a seminar to sell. I just would like to know why capitalistic entrepreneurs, such as ourselves, think educational information to advance our business and put money in our pocket, must only be free. Any thoughts?

9Reply
209 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y

I have no issue with paying for information...here's what I have issues with:

- Paying more than the information is worth

- Someone giving me information who isn't qualified to give me information

- Someone who is interested in giving me just enough information to coax me into giving them more money for more information

- Someone who will happily give me information in return for a fee, and then on top of that require me to give them a percentage of my profits in addition

- Getting information that is outdated and ultimately causes me to spend MORE time learning than if I hadn't gotten the information

- Someone who will take money from a student who clearly doesn't have the ability, intelligence, drive and/or resources to be successful

I've done the math, and based on my numbers, a great real estate investor can make a lot more money than a great educator who is charging reasonable fees for the education. So, if someone is making a living purely as an educator, I have to assume at least one of the following is true:

1. The education costs more than it's worth;

2. The educator isn't very good at real estate investing;

3. The educator isn't doing it for the money.

If it's #3, great...good luck finding that person, though.

The rest of the time it's #1 or #2.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ken Rishel:
    The upshot is however, not everyone is lucky enough to find a good mentor who is willing to give of their time to teach.

    That's the reason why people aren't "lucky" at finding mentors...they are looking for someone to teach them something.  That's not what mentors are for.

    Mentors don't teach -- they do something much, much, much more valuable...

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Bill G.

    Great post.

    Death Taxes and Change are guaranteed.

    Adapt or Die.

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I don't think legit seminars have to be free. I also don't think they need to be exorbitantly expensive, either. 

    I've been to one seminar, free, which was merely a basic info, get 'em salivating upsell to  a crowd of wide eyed hopefuls with eager pen and pad. Funneling them into the "real" seminar with the "really good info" was the only goal. Which is all one can expect when it's free I suppose...

    For beginners (which I am), I think the best place to start are trustworthy books that are highly recommended here on bp and other places online. The staples. Not the get rich quick books. Not the guru books with huge, confident, smiling faces plastered on the covers. Once one has a decent foundation of rei knowledge, then they can consider any appropriate, legit seminars. But the thing is, for beginners at least, until there is that sound foundation, you don't really know which seminars are legit and which are just massive upsells/waste of time.  They can all look good and necessary. The problem with seminars is that they prey on the naive and ignorant. What seasoned, successful, 30 yr re investor goes to some guru seminar? I suspect none. 

    For the experienced investors... I think they're in a better position to know what a good seminar actually is and one just trying to take advantage. It's the newbies that get taken which is my issue with them. Seminars are not inherently bad in and of themselves and the good ones deserve fair compensation. They just attract a slimey crowd of snake oil salesman who know how to sell the dream.

  • Specialist · Huntingdon, PA · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 59 votes
    11y

    Wow, you've created a monster!  :)  Nine pages of replies and counting.  It caught my attention because I've thought the same thing.

    It's not just seminars, but it seems like any resource in general - books, courses, services, etc.  For example, because of my business, I've seen quite a few people asking about websites, like 'is this service or that service worth the money,' and the majority of people always come back and say to try to do everything yourself, go the free route for everything, etc.  But I've seen the same thing with books and courses.  The majority of responses tend to be along the lines of 'don't pay for anything, try to get everything for free.'

    I agree that if you're getting value from something, it's worth paying for.  It's an investment in yourself.  I pay for books and courses regularly.  However, I definitely agree that there are a lot of scams out there and you have to be careful.

    I went to one REI seminar a few years back where everyone there paid at least $10K (fortunately I was invited as a free guest). The whole weekend was just a pitch fest for a bunch of random things. One presenter would give advice that completely contradicted what another presenter said. At the end of it, all the people who paid to be there were more confused than when they arrived. I felt bad for everyone, especially knowing that most of those people put it on their credit cards. Just yesterday I was reading a post from someone who spent $30K on a seminar and still had no idea what to do or how to start investing. Crazy.

    I think if you're just starting out and don't have general information about investing and the different techniques, you should not pay that kind of money, regardless of what's being promised.  I say do a little research online to get familiar with what the different techniques of investing are and decide which one you want to focus on.  Then buy a course that is highly spoken of.  You can easily get all the knowledge you need for a couple hundred dollars.  Then go do some deals using that knowledge.

    Only after you've done at least a deal or two and have some income should you consider investing big bucks in a seminar, and only then if you've done your homework and talked to other people who have gone and know that it's going to teach you the specific information that will take you to the next level.

    But again, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't invest in your REI education. Yes, there is some good information for free, but it tends to be scattered here and there and you have to piece it together yourself. If you have absolutely no money, fine, go that route. But I have no problem paying someone to give me the information I need in an organized, structured manner that makes it easy to digest and put the pieces together. That takes time and work, so someone should be compensated for that.

    It does irritate me when someone asks for feedback on a particular service, product, seminar, etc. and people respond who have no experience with it and say not to buy it, just because it costs money.  That's annoying.  And I know that most of the people saying that have not done a single deal.  So if you haven't bought whatever it is and you're not successful, why are you giving advice?

    Multiple times I've replied to posts like that to disagree with someone saying things like that.  I think maybe that's the solution.  People are always going to say stuff like that.  But if no one steps up and gives a conflicting opinion, people may assume it's accurate.  If you speak up and say 'I disagree because...' then it gives people reading it another perspective and they can decide for themselves which makes the most sense.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    I haven't ever sold a guru course or anything.  One of my friends asked me to mentor him, which I did for free.  I don't need the money, and I have the credentials to teach a guru course.  We went through the basics, and I showed him houses that he could buy and make money on.  He chickened out after about 3 months, but he called me 2 years later if I could help him, which I declined.  I could make a lot working as a corporate/commercial real estate lawyer, but this is more fun.  I agree that there are some niche areas that would be worth paying to learn about, but the guru pitches that you have to raise your credit card limits are a scam.  If you have to finance it on a credit card, then you probably should try to learn for free on this site or work for someone even if it were free labor.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Massapequa, NY · Member since 2015 · 148 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    The company that I work for is a coaching company.  Having been to a bunch of the previews and 3 day bootcamps, I completely understand how they are sometimes seen with a bit of a stigma.  I began as a client of elite apartment coaching after attending one of their seminars and definitely have no regrets.  We do sell a coaching program but, do not push it (we truly hate the companies that will have people that can't afford it do credit card payments, etc.)  Everyone leaves with an incredible amount of value and I think our reputation reflects that.  For the cost of the weekend, I think it is a no-brainer investment in your own education.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Max Kim:

    I haven't ever sold a guru course or anything.  One of my friends asked me to mentor him, which I did for free.  I don't need the money, and I have the credentials to teach a guru course.  We went through the basics, and I showed him houses that he could buy and make money on.  He chickened out after about 3 months, but he called me 2 years later if I could help him, which I declined.  I could make a lot working as a corporate/commercial real estate lawyer, but this is more fun.  I agree that there are some niche areas that would be worth paying to learn about, but the guru pitches that you have to raise your credit card limits are a scam.  If you have to finance it on a credit card, then you probably should try to learn for free on this site or work for someone even if it were free labor.  

    Max,

    Please reconsider mentoring your friend who came back after two years. Chances are, something in his life has changed. Make clear that you'll waste no time with him and be clear about what you expect from him. If he can't live up to it, then it's his fault - and make that clear to him upon parting ways.

    Indeed - that nonsense about raising your credit card limits is just that: nonsense. My investing group has a nationally known credit expert who can explain the right way to go about getting funding either through your own personal credit or credit in your business entity(-ies).

    I can't really say much more without violating the forum's TOS, so I'll stop there.

    DISCLOSURE: I am affiliated with an on-line real estate investing education provider.

  • Lender · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 130 votes
    9y

    Personally, when I was starting out I paid thousands upon thousands of dollars on seminars ranging from how to flip houses, understanding notes and mortgages, to IRA Investing, etc....Yes sometimes there are up-sells at many of these seminars. Bid deal, don't buy if it doesn't make sense. It's made me a well rounded investor and I made some invaluable contacts and friendships with other investors across the nation. I am currently spending money on Multi-family seminars and coaching because I want to speed up the learning curve and make contacts in that arena. That being said, choose wisely because there is a lot of crap out there. I'd love to name names but don't want to get sued.

  • Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Anthony H.:

    I don't think legit seminars have to be free. I also don't think they need to be exorbitantly expensive, either. 

     The problem with costs that my company encounters is as follows:

    The company (Rishel Consulting Group) has to pay every instructor to be there and pay their travel expenses to get and stay there. On some workshops, we have as many as six specialists there. If we need a tax attorney with real credentials on deferring taxes on a captive finance situation, then we need a proven tax attorney not some speaker "who is sure he/she knows the law".

    The cost of renting a conference room is often high and if the class size is deliberately limited because of learning standards each participant has to stand their share of the cost. Since we are actually teaching people how to do things rather than promoting some pie in the sky get rich quick scheme, classes are often limited to ten people and never exceed 30 people.

    Because of the nature of what we teach, most of these workshops have to be constantly updated including the handout materials. This often adds up to a week or more of two people's time invested (and paid) prior to the workshop. When doing a completely new workshop, as we have recently done for Fair Housing, we have both large attorney fees and months of preparation involved. We have to recover that money over a period of several years and numerous workshops which also add to the cost.

    The cost of serving food at these workshops is almost unbelievable and many hotels require they cater any food or drink in the room. With a can of pop going for $7.00 and a cup of coffee going for $5.00 and breakfasts going for $20.00 and lunch at $35.00 per person these costs add up fast! It is not unusual for us to spend over $100.00 per day on every participant.

    All of our workshops distribute 100s of pages of handouts as resources or forms to each participant. In some we need wire bound workbooks to be used during class. All of this adds up as well.

    Finally, we have to pay a full time employee to send out emails and make telephone calls to even fill the seats. Since many people are either unwilling or unable to make all the phone calls, people who are reliable and successful don't come cheap either. 

    So, if a company sends an employee to our Fair Housing workshop we need to charge (currently) $500 to make it worth our while. If we don't we have no reason to even offer it. We have one workshop on raising capital to make loans with that is a five day affair that we charge $10,000.00 to attend but is limited to existing customers or clients. If that sounds outrageous, so be it. We live and die on our reputation with our former and current customers and clients and we have never had anyone ever ask for their money back even though we offer to do so with every workshop we do.

    Maybe this explains why costs can seem high to some prospective attendees, but, in fact, are not. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.