Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
So today while flipping channels, I came across a infomercial for Than Merrill. I guess he is in Chicago, so I watched it for a few minutes. He talked a lot about some "secrets" to RE success.
I have never taken a guru course, but what are these "secrets"?
I had zero real estate experience when I started out, but I had an accounting background, so everything boiled down to numbers for me. I invested in rental properties, so I started with how much rental income I wanted to make, how much it would take to fix a house and the purchase price was the plug. Starting out I found all these properties right on MLS that everyone else could bid on. That's pretty much all I did and I learned it right here at BP.
His student testimonials talked about some "strategies". Anyone who has attended a guru course, what "secrets" and "strategies" did you learn from these courses that you weren't able to from BP and other online resources?
Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
12y
Originally posted by Account Closed:
Thanks Sharad for asking this question.
Back in 2003 when I started investing in real estate, there was no BP. So, I had to learn from the gurus. I bought a $20 book and a $60 course on cassette tapes (I know...I am old) from a guru . I made $10K on my first deal so...are the "secrets" worth it? The answer is YES.
Now that there's BP and a lot of information can be researched and found online...do you still need the gurus? Not so much. The supposedly "secrets" are out in the open and can be acquired at a much cheaper price than the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars that these gurus charge.
I like @J Scott 's approach of listening to the free seminars or webinars to learn some little new twists to an old strategy or get some new ideas. I do the exact same thing. I am humble enough to realize I don't know everything but I am skeptical that the gurus know something that can not be found at a much cheaper price. I benefited from a guru idea recently. Implemented it in my business and I am getting 2 new properties a month because of it.
Listen to the gurus for ideas but don't buy their overpriced courses. Research the rest of it here on BP and some books about the topic. The "secrets" are not really secrets anymore. Or at least, they don't cost as much as the gurus want us to believe.
Hi Wendel
Now you've made us curious as to what is the guru idea that has increased your deal flow so dramatically. Can you share our did the guru swear you to secrecy? :)
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
The web is a great tool and resource to find information and learn in this day and age. With that being said, there is still a place for books and courses because information can be found in one place — there is a beginning and an end. With the web, it may be piecemeal which can work for some individuals.
After spending thousands on books, courses and seminars, I'd have to say it is the conglomeration of the information learned in the materials as well as the experience gained from applying these principles that has led me to where I am today.
With that being said, I have never met a successful real estate investor who has never bought a book, course and/or attended a seminar.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
@Larry Smet , if you pay me $25,000 I will share with you the secret on how to buy houses from HUD (hahaha!)
or you can just go to this website and bid (through a HUD certified agent): http://hudhomestore.com
@Rachel H. , I agree with you. Guru or no guru, every successful real estate investor has gotten some real estate education first. The point though of Sharad's question is whether paying these gurus $25,000 for these "real estate secrets" is really worth it or not. In today's internet world where we have BP...I think the guru's products are now way overpriced. By the way, I can see that you are into mobile homes. I just bought 2 mobile homes in Florida this Tuesday. The returns are awesome. It's good to see another mobile home investor here on BP.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
Hello Rachel, you too Wendell, my name is Bill Gulley, I never bought a guru book in my life, ever, I never bought any type of guru materials. I also got my education before the internet was around. I have skimmed some of the old books at the library waiting for my kids to get done with their activities, saying I didn't go looking for the stuff.
I am not such a genius or unique that I succeeded in RE ventures without guru stuff, exceptional maybe, LOL, but almost anyone can learn what I know or learned along the way.
I keep hearing folks giving gurus credit for where they are in their investing career, while they may be making a living or making money, I have to snicker a bit. I've seen their posts and have a pretty good idea of their knowledge. Clearly thinking they know but not knowing or being under some false assumptions. Bad information never corrected can carry on as truth for many years.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for many here, old pros and newbies demonstrating an effort to learn. Have to respect those jumping in starting out. I also remember a few of our popular posters from years ago when they started or had a few years experience and I've watched them advance and have become much more informed in topics. So, I watched the impact made by BP. Keep learning, I assure you, you don't need to spend thousands with gurus to learn this business. :)
Insurance Agent · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 88 votes
12y
I should start with my disclaimer: not only am I not a coach, I'm a guy who walked away from a full college scholarship over an argument with my "Foucault in Context" prof. I zealously differentiate "study" from "learning." The former without the latter is a tragic waste of time. I have a very short fuse when it comes to selling useless "education."
With that disclaimer in place, here's my rant.
My dad always told me to ignore the details of a thing until I understood its basic operating principles, and this is one of the best pieces of advice he ever gave. In our humble real estate journey, we bought a rental and studied everything that related to it and its performance over a few years. We bought a home at a significant discount and rehabbed it as our primary residence, and we studied every aspect of that deal. These are pretty simple, but they've taught us a ton of basic stuff. Our next deal will be a combination of the two, which will teach us more. We're learning basic operating principles and moving slowly enough to learn well as we go.
Increment over excrement.
Being on BP and reading the insights posted here makes that synapse (or brain gap) fire in regard to those basic operating principles. It presents a diversity of perspective, which really helps to ferret out the disadvantages of various approaches (some of which seem very good at first glance) and to see issues from multiple points of view.
In contrast, gurus don't present diverse perspectives. They present a single perspective. They have to. That's the formula they've created, the inefficiency they've identified, the loophole they've discovered. They don't present basic operating principles; they present prefabricated systems that you can follow (on faith) without understanding the principles.
In my opinion, that's dangerous. Using somebody's formula can easily involve using some kind of exotic deal-making. If the students don't fully understand all the ins and outs of that exotic deal, they can open themselves up to significant liability. And as real estate law gets more complicated it's easier and easier to inadvertently break laws.
@Bill Gulley is right. Taking some courses and drinking with construction workers is a great education. If you drink enough, who knows, maybe the girls in the dive bars start to look like bikini models!
Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y
@Sharad M. - Sharad, I have a new perspective on this now, because I recently signed up for some sales coaching/training. And I am learning "strategies" that I previously did not know. So in a sense they were "secret" to me, although most successful sales people already know them. They didn't really advertise them as "secret" though, but they did promote the idea of teaching "techniques". And it's NOT costing me 10's of thousands of dollars either. I fully expect to make my money back with increased business.
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
@Bryan L. That's a great point. I think @J Scott said something similar that he attends some of these to learn a few things. Both you guys are very successful at what you do and once you guys get exposed to an idea, you explore more and then make it work.
Investor · Chicagoland, IL · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 9 votes
12y
Everyone learn differently at different rate.
Some jump in naked.
Some take classes, coaching etc.
Some study with book/BP etc.
As long at the end of all that time, $, energy they take a positive step toward their own goal, I think that is secret! The secret is your own journey, which no one knows until you talk (blog) about it ;-) how much you want to charge for it is up what the market is welling to paid.