4 Common Wholesaling Myths DEBUNKED

4 Common Wholesaling Myths DEBUNKED

Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes

Real Estate Myths. I am glad my Mentor @Karl Krentzel is willing to tell me the truth so I can get deals DONE.  Her are a few myths he helped me DEBUNK

1) Myth #1 Realtors mess up deals and are a waste of time.

False - Karl has always encouraged me to work with Realtors. I am working with one now on a deal and she has been great. She found my ad on craigslist, called me up, listened to what I have to say and brought me a buyer. Now that She's involved she is keeping everything moving forward quickly and efficiently.

Extra Credit Question: Who do you think was using a higher ARV. The Buyer with the Realtor who gets to list the house after rehab or the average fix and flip investor?

2) Myth #2 - MAO = ARV *0.65 - Repairs . What a joke. I love this formula because it helps me be competitive in my market. My competition used that formula on this deal and his offer price was 50k less than mine. Plus to top it off. ARV and Repairs is completely made up. Your taking two numbers that are completely arbitrary and up to massive interpretation and then popping them in a formula to determine your offer price. COME ON. At the end of the day you need to know your market to learn where the prices should be.

3) Myth #3 - State contracts are stupid. Wow, I have learned the hard way that things run so much smother if on a state contract. As a wholesaler you are selling CONTRACT not houses. So it is fair to say that a better contract is worth more. We determined above that realtors can bring buyers. Strong buyers in fact. Do you think it is easier to sell that buyer with a Realtor a State Contract or a 2 Pager? Use a state contract and your buyer pool opens up tremendously.

4) Myth #4 - You need to know how much the repairs are, and the ARV so you can advertise your deal. What a joke. You think buyers agree with your repair cost estimates and ARV? Why waste your time. When advertising this deal I didn't include either. Here is the property. Here is What I know, Here is my Asking price. Don't think for your buyer.

I can think of multiple examples in my business when these 4 myths have been debunked. It feels good to know the truth

Hope some of you can benefit from this insight.

13Reply
163 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

One man's myth is another man's facts. There are no absolutes in life (outside of death) or in investing..only generalities. I don't disagree with the OP on many assertions, but using one's experience to arrive at an absolute is, well, a bit of a stretch.

See this reply in the discussion

105 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    @Richard C., just clarify from above, the 5k was not extra it was all she received. The buyer was happy to pay 155k for this house and was ok with her getting 5k. Right or wrong that's what it was. I was willing to share some of my 10k profit, with her if that's what had to happen to close it out.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I guess one thing that isn't clear is WHY exactly it was necessary?

    If she had a willing buyer to bring you, and a agency relationship with that person, then why did either you OR the buyer have to kick in anything more than her standard commission?  You shouldn't have had to.  And if the buyer paid even a couple thousand more than he had to as a result (or even a penny), she breached her duty to him unless he was entirely clear about it and they mutually agreed to tear up their agency agreement.

    This really doesn't sound like an "awesome" agent, it sounds like a sleazy and self-serving agent.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @William Johnson:
    Originally posted by @Stephen Chatto:

    Real Estate Myths. I am glad my Mentor @Karl Krentzel is willing to tell me the truth so I can get deals DONE.  Her are a few myths he helped me DEBUNK

    1) Myth #1 Realtors mess up deals and are a waste of time.

    False - Karl has always encouraged me to work with Realtors. I am working with one now on a deal and she has been great. She found my ad on craigslist, called me up, listened to what I have to say and brought me a buyer. Now that She's involved she is keeping everything moving forward quickly and efficiently.

    Extra Credit Question: Who do you think was using a higher ARV. The Buyer with the Realtor who gets to list the house after rehab or the average fix and flip investor?

    2) Myth #2 - MAO = ARV *0.65 - Repairs . What a joke. I love this formula because it helps me be competitive in my market. My competition used that formula on this deal and his offer price was 50k less than mine. Plus to top it off. ARV and Repairs is completely made up. Your taking two numbers that are completely arbitrary and up to massive interpretation and then popping them in a formula to determine your offer price. COME ON. At the end of the day you need to know your market to learn where the prices should be.

    3) Myth #3 - State contracts are stupid. Wow, I have learned the hard way that things run so much smother if on a state contract. As a wholesaler you are selling CONTRACT not houses. So it is fair to say that a better contract is worth more. We determined above that realtors can bring buyers. Strong buyers in fact. Do you think it is easier to sell that buyer with a Realtor a State Contract or a 2 Pager? Use a state contract and your buyer pool opens up tremendously.

    4) Myth #4 - You need to know how much the repairs are, and the ARV so you can advertise your deal. What a joke. You think buyers agree with your repair cost estimates and ARV? Why waste your time. When advertising this deal I didn't include either. Here is the property. Here is What I know, Here is my Asking price. Don't think for your buyer.

    I can think of multiple examples in my business when these 4 myths have been debunked. It feels good to know the truth

    Hope some of you can benefit from this insight.

     Would you mind putting up some of your concrete examples with numbers and addresses?

    Proof Positive... as Requested! 

    No problem for that!  Here is an example of one start to finish.  

    In this example, I got a lead referred to me from a friend who generated the lead via a YouTube Lead.  

    Here is the brief story...

    In the video, you will hear the original call from a friend of the seller telling us about the home.

    I call back, and discover that they have already spoken with a local We Buy Houses Franchisee and that I "don't need to worry about it.. its been handled."

    I overcome that objection, set the appointment, and then subsequently get the contract signed on a State Contract.  

     You will then see me meet my end use buyer at the property, and hear his impressions of it right before he signs an assignment contract for the State Contract you see to your left.

    Incidentally, it will be helpful to note that the customer was aware at all times, and did in fact sign a separate disclosure disclosing my principal nature in the transaction.  

    Trolls Sit Down

    Now before anyone tries to troll me, you must understand a couple factors.  Every party in this transaction (myself, and the end use buyer) are licensed Real Estate Brokers in the State of Arizona. 

    So please, before anyone tries to troll me and say "Realtors® can't wholesale"... before you make a fool of yourself...read the National Code of Realtors® Code of Ethics Article 4.

    The buyer was aware, and was given all available comparables and signed a disclosure form similar to the one you see here. 

    I am a Realtor® who sells to other Realtors® my wholesale deals (Almost exclusively, thereby destroying myth 1.).  

    At no time did I ever "Use MAO" (Myth 2).

    I used a State Contract (As shown above, as I always do, including the below disclosure, obliterating myth 3) 

    I had no way to determine what the repairs would be. (I thought the house was a total loss, turns out it was able to be saved.)

    So, may I proudly present my latest property that was closed exclusively as @Stephen described.

    Since I am a licensed broker in the State of Arizona, with over 18 years experience, and all the above you can verify with my broker or the parties involved.  

    Wholesaling is legal for Realtors®.  Especially if you do it correctly.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Sorry for de-railing the thread.  Nice to see we are back on track with the marketing of Karl's services.

  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    $150,000 x 3% is $4500. Ok its more than her regular commission, I assume. And that was a question I asked before. How would 3 agents be paid on one deal. There is the HUD listing broker at 3%, my agent at 3%, both paid by HUD and that can't be changed. Now should her brokeage collect 6% or what?

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:

    Sorry for de-railing the thread.  Nice to see we are back on track with the marketing of Karl's services.

    Tell you what @Richard C.  

    Put out over 84 videos, and 400 podcasts, and hundreds of blogs teaching people how to sell real estate for FREE... THEN come back and tell me how much you care about people who say you are "selling services".  

    Have a Powerful Sales Day!

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Goldie:

    $150,000 x 3% is $4500. Ok its more than her regular commission, I assume. And that was a question I asked before. How would 3 agents be paid on one deal. There is the HUD listing broker at 3%, my agent at 3%, both paid by HUD and that can't be changed. Now should her brokeage collect 6% or what?

    There are two transactions, right? HUD to you, you to the end buyer.

    On the first transaction, HUD listing agent gets 3% and your agent gets 3%.

    On the second, your agent gets 3% and the buyers agent gets 3%.

    Unless you come to a different arrangement with your agent, since I gather he never actually listed the house?

    You should also be aware that in my state, that sale is two transfers, and therefore transfer tax is due twice.  I don't know about your state obviously.

  • Real Estate Broker · Laval, Québec · Member since 2014 · 183 posts · 59 votes
    11y

    @Karl Krentzel

    I was actually speaking to your student, I think that teaching to not look at ARV and also to not look at renovating costs as important is irresponsable in teaching wholesaling. It is definitely not a myth that ARV and renovating costs are important. It seems like nothing more than a real estate teacher looking for a Unique Value Proposition for his business. Which is okay but either you are right and practically every other wholesaling article is wrong (including the calculator for this website) or the reverse is true. Sure you might get lucky but you are more likely to lose time and money not to mention burn your reputation if you blindly bring deals to cash buyers without any meaningful due diligence performed ahead of time (such as determining ARV and an estimated renovation cost to get the house to ARV).

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Man I enjoy @Karl Krentzeland Mike Ferry

    I coach folks in seller financing and I have 700+ videos on YouTube 

    For free, yes free, I put this training up for buying low equity deals and making money with them.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/180137-starting-out---get-a-quick-start-this-spring-doing-terms-deals?page=1#p1218747

    You need a good lawyer for these deals and a good RMLO for seller financed lease to own buyers

    Karl do something like that link!  I'd love to see it!

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Greg H.

    "We simply came to an agreement. I wanted $150k for the house, she told her client $155k, got him to sign a release of agent form and now she is a wholesaler JV'ing with me. So technically I am making 15k of which I pay her a JV share of 5k. Quick, simple and easy. I was willing to even split the 10k if I couldn't move quick enough."

    I can only say that had the agent acted in this manner here in Texas and it resulted in a complaint from the buyer, both the agent and the agent's broker would likely be in need of a good attorney. 

    If the agent had not entered into a fiduciary relationship to begin with, the agent's behavior would not be an issue. But once the agent takes on that duty, then terminates the relationship in order make more money (as it appears to be), it becomes a huge problem. 

    If I were the broker, the agent would have been terminated immediately as I'm not looking for calls from either our Board or the Texas Real Estate Commission.

    That being said, the wholesaler didn't appear to do anything wrong unless there was clearly tortious interference with the buyer's representation agreement with the agent's broker.

  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    I started another thread to unhijack this one, but oh well.

    So basically what I've gathered in dumbed down terms is if the agent doesn't report this transaction to her broker that's bad, if she did then its ok ( maybe possibly)

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Good posting

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 153 votes
    11y
  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    @Richard C.

    I feel that the information I provided was of value, and I have no issue sharing that Karl is the man who helped me in learning these lessons.   I don't mind giving credit where it is due.  

    @William Johnson  

    Concrete Examples.   Sure.

    Myth #1 and #3 - The deal I have scheduled to close on 3/23.  I have been fighting Karl on state contracts and realtors for a long time.   I finally decided to get agents involved and an agent brought a BUYER.   This agent was awesome and doing a great job getting the deal CLOSED.  She is getting paid a 2% commission from the BUYER.  I have been fighting the state contract thing.  So now Myth number 3 was not working in my favor.   We need to convert from a 2 page contract to a 13 page state contract and convince the seller to sign.  If I had used a state contract in the 1st place this would not have been an issue.   So use real deal contract and work with realtors and you will make more money.  I can give the address AFTER we close on 3/23. 

    Myth #2 and #4 - 19 Northcourt Lane - The ARV is 225k - Solid number because the house JUST SOLD after my buyer got done the rehab. 225k * 0.7 - 157.5k. Now I need to Minus out my repairs. Again I don't know what the heck the buyer is going to do to it. I know know that the rehab is complete he spent about 60k on repairs. so 157.5k - 60k =97.5k. NOW I need to take out my fee. 10k sounds great. so now my MAO is 87.5k.

    I offered this man 115k.   We made 10k on the deal and sold it to a cash buyer for 125k and CLOSED in 3 weeks.  

    So IMHO the formula is BS. Plug in the ACTUAL rehab value and the ACTUAL ARV and the MAO is not correct. That's a 25k Swing OVER MAO.

    I didn't advertise ARV or Repairs on this one - The add was still in my Craigslist Account.

    Hope that helps.   I think I answered everyone's questions!  

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @William Johnson:

    @Karl Krentzel

    I was actually speaking to your student, I think that teaching to not look at ARV and also to not look at renovating costs as important is irresponsable in teaching wholesaling. It is definitely not a myth that ARV and renovating costs are important. It seems like nothing more than a real estate teacher looking for a Unique Value Proposition for his business. Which is okay but either you are right and practically every other wholesaling article is wrong (including the calculator for this website) or the reverse is true. Sure you might get lucky but you are more likely to lose time and money not to mention burn your reputation if you blindly bring deals to cash buyers without any meaningful due diligence performed ahead of time (such as determining ARV and an estimated renovation cost to get the house to ARV).

     Thanks for your comment!

    I appreciate your rational approach to disagreement with my thought process. I indeed appreciate the "non-troll" opinion you've expressed, so in the same spirit of goodwill, please allow me a few words to explain my "No MAO" Belief.

    No MAO Theory

    No matter what you are buying, whether it be cars, lemons, or houses, there is an agreement.  A "meeting of the minds" between what a ready, willing and able Seller is willing to take from a ready, willing, and able Buyer for whatever the product is.  

    In this case, we will say a House.

    Now, you and I both know that of course, SOME understanding of WHAT MAO Theory is (Maximum Allowable Offer=After Repaired Value * .70 or .65- your fe.  In simple English,  The MOST you should offer.) 

    However, it is the idea that there is a arbitrary formula out there that will determine the maximum you should offer on a property is illogical as it does not take into consideration special factors.

    For example... how is one to know the After Repaired Value?  The Seller won't agree with your comps, so what makes you think your end use buyer will?  

    How do you know that 65% or 70% of ARV is the number you use? Moreover... WHY do you use that specific number? Who taught you that? Why is that used as opposed to 85%? Why not 63%?

    What if you have a buyer who does not follow nor know anything about MAO Theory? As in a MLS Buyer or Agent?

    Too Many Variables.

    The sad truth is, even the "gurus" who teach you this do not do this.  They simply regurgitate nonsense that has been used since 1970 without any real understanding WHY.  
    I did a podcast on this called "The Insider's Guide To Pricing Property" some time ago.  It will probably explain a lot better what I am trying to say!  

    Hope it helps! 

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by :

    Myth #2 and #4 - 19 Northcourt Lane - The ARV is 225k - Solid number because the house JUST SOLD after my buyer got done the rehab. 225k * 0.7 - 157.5k. Now I need to Minus out my repairs. Again I don't know what the heck the buyer is going to do to it. I know know that the rehab is complete he spent about 60k on repairs. so 157.5k - 60k =97.5k. NOW I need to take out my fee. 10k sounds great. so now my MAO is 87.5k.

    I offered this man 115k.   We made 10k on the deal and sold it to a cash buyer for 125k and CLOSED in 3 weeks.  

    So IMHO the formula is BS. Plug in the ACTUAL rehab value and the ACTUAL ARV and the MAO is not correct. That's a 25k Swing OVER MAO.

    I didn't advertise ARV or Repairs on this one - The add was still in my Craigslist Account.

    Hope that helps.   I think I answered everyone's questions!  

    This just shows that it is important to know who your buyers are going to be.

    Just using the sale price, repair costs and the price+fee your buyer paid they would be left with $40K gross profit. If they were a true cash buyer that did not have any financing costs and did not list it with an agent on resale (Either have a licence to list themselves, paid for a flat fee listing on MLS or didn't seller via MLS and hoped to even save the buyer commission too) then there is some meat there.

    However if they are buying with 3pt/12% hard money and need to pay a 5-6% commission on the sale you are down to like $25K before paying any other transaction costs on the buy or sell, any taxes, any utilities or any other holding costs that might be there.  Very thin for a deal that size.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    @Shaun Reilly

     - I have yet to sell a deal to a buyer with hard money.  I see investors with cash ready to be deployed and so much private money out there, people using hard money are having a heck of a time being competitive unless the are direct to seller.  

  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    From the above example since repair costs were not factored into the offer, what would have been the result if it required a minimum of $80,000 to make it retail ready? No you can't know for sure what your buyer is going to spend on rehab, but it seems to me that maybe you knew what this particular would be willing to pay for a property. The higher the property value, the higher the percentage of ARV is acceptable, still leaving for a nice 30 or 40 k profit. The 65 or 70% of ARV - repairs works for some and not others. Go with what works for you and your area and your buyers.

    @Shaun Reilly, how did you come up with the 115k offer. Was based on something solid or just a number that felt good? How did you feel comfortable in the fact you could move it at 125k and not be stuck with it?

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Chatto

    Exactly my point, it is important to know your buyer pool.  In your case you apparently have a lot of them with cash or cheap financing and are willing to pay more.  In which case it would be stupid to lose out on 5 figure profits to conform to a rule of thumb.

    However that does not show the 65/70% "rule" is a myth.  It shows that it is a guideline that will not always be perfect for your situation.  In your case it is not, but if all the buyers were only willing to pay $100K for that property then you would not do very well getting it under contract for $115K. 

    @Christopher Goldie

    Think you meant to ping Stephen since I would not have paid $115K for that if I expected that ARV and repairs. :)

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    i've been doing real estate for 30 years and I think rehabs are very simple. But you can go bankrupt if you don't do them right

    You can lose your reputation on one deal for your whole area for very long time

    If more people would buy 

    @JScott s book on flipping, wholesaling and pricing rehabs it's probably the cheapest  education in wholesaling you can receive

    Anyone who follows me I highly recommend you just click on this link and buy the book

    http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

    If you don't do interviews with your Cash Buyers you're being stupid

  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Chatto, where did the 115k offer come from? What formula, calculation, divine intervention lead you to that dollar amount as something you knew you could move at 125k or at all? Would you have offered more if they declined? What would the result have been if your buyer or any buyer said that was way offf base.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    @Christopher Goldie

    - I know my market :) I looked at the cash sales.  I talk to investors all the time.  

    -This house was totally move in ready. A bit dated but nice.   We now know all fixed up and sold for 225k...   how much do you think a move in ready dated house would sell for?  It would be a guess, but a lot more than 125k I had it out there for.  

    -If the house didn't sell for 125k I would have purchased it for 115k and sold it retail AS-IS. 

    -I had a buyers open house and had about 25 buyers show up and multiple offers.  

    -ALSO.. It helps to see what amounts the cash sales are at. That is much more effective than a guess at MAO.

  • Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Chatting, I missed where you said move in ready. That was a good deal, no doubt. And you are correct about cash sales, they give a good indication. Me personnally, I still like to have a repair estimate sheet handy, just my style. To each their own.

    And putting a little more thought as to what I do, there is a big difference in "repair costs" and "update costs". Maybe as the debate continues, we all need to make a distinction in that.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Shaun Reilly:

    @Stephen Chatto

    Exactly my point, it is important to know your buyer pool.  In your case you apparently have a lot of them with cash or cheap financing and are willing to pay more.  In which case it would be stupid to lose out on 5 figure profits to conform to a rule of thumb.

    However that does not show the 65/70% "rule" is a myth.  It shows that it is a guideline that will not always be perfect for your situation.  In your case it is not, but if all the buyers were only willing to pay $100K for that property then you would not do very well getting it under contract for $115K. ......

     ***(To avoid my long winded response, skip to final sentence.  For explanation, please read!!  Thanks!**)

    Subjective Vs. Objective Pricing

    Here's where I jump in!  I'm saying that in 99.9% of the cases, you can AVOID using MAO Theory. Why?  Two reasons.  Value (of a home or anything) is always SUBJECTIVE.  Not objective.  

    In the wholesaling world... (Not residential real estate resale) It is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. We can try mental gymnastics all day to justify why we are coming in low, but at the end of the day, there is no logical reason why it is 65% or 70% of ARV.

    Why is it 70% of ARV?  Why not 63?   The reason is clear.  It is the same things that have been regurgitated since 1970 when you needed 30% down to get a Investment loan. 

    The Second Reason why MAO is of little value.

    Since you cannot truly determine what ARV actually is... (What it is worth to you will be different than that of your buyer, or an appraiser, or an end use buyer after the rehab) then simply stop trying so hard.

    Blasphemy at the Gates.

    I realize that many of you may see this as complete apostasy.  However, if you hear me out for just a minute, I think I might explain.

    What is most important, is getting the Seller who is motivated to sign a contract with you.

    There are thousands of ways to dispose of the property once you have it under contract.  You can wholesale it, double close, lease option, lease purchase, rent to own, sandwich lease option, Club Sandwich with Cheese option (*MY Favorite!).  

    But the key is... You gotta get it under contract!  THEN you can figure out what's the best strategy.  99% of the time, you already know what you are going to do, it's just the 1% you gotta rule out.  

    Now this is not a license to just go out and be stupid with contracts.  Of course not.  You must have an idea of what others are paying for similar homes, (hence sold comps). Contract relative to pricing.

    So What Do We Do Now? Ignore Price? 

    So the key then, is not to get too tied up on values, which are subjective at best, and focus instead on their motivation.  

    You get so tied up on price, ARV, MAO, and all the various repair costs that COULD be...

    That you never actually call them.  You never actually see them.  You rule them out if their price seems a little "Iffy"

    I know this because I've taught tons of you.  I know there are many of you who have never heard of me, and have done "Just fine... thank you very much."  However, you know this is the truth.

    If you have been in the business for any longer than 10 years, you naturally know what I am saying is true.  

    Without actually sitting down, and hearing the story, and ignoring these made up rules about price... and getting into the nitty gritty of what it takes to get a deal done; then how can we possibly expect to educate them as to the reality of the market, and why our deal is such a great solution for their problem?

    The Alternative Reality

    Of course, people have done fine without my advice.  However, I believe I am on the crux of a new way of thinking.  A lot of Agents who Invest listen to my podcast, New wholesalers, as well as the "old dogs" of the business.  

    The truth is, I don't know everything. But I am smart enough to know that I question everything. I don't always just "buy into this MAO Theory" because that's the way everyone has always done it.

    I've sold too many homes personally to Investors far above the MAO, and yes, there has been PLENTY of meat on the bone. Chances are, you've had that same experience offering MORE than 70% on a HUD property!

    What ARV Really Is

    ARV is best described as a rolling mountaintop. I don't know if you hike, but if you do, then you know that sometimes, just when you think that you've reached the top of the Mountain, you look over a small valley, and there is a higher peak.

    ARV is much like that. ARV is not a static number. Even appraisals (Professional ARV Estimates) are ONLY good for ONE day.

    The thing that affects ARV at any one point in time is TERMS.

    A 750k home can be sold for 1M if the terms were right. 

    Therefore, ARV is only a estimate of what something may be in time. Subject to too many variables.

    Therefore, it's best to focus on motivation, and once a highly motivated person is secured, THEN qualify for price in terms of ability (equity) and Value (Comparable SOLD properties). 

    This estimate you obtain then, can be called ARV... but you must understand that is spoken with a HUGE grain of salt. As you do not generally know the situations, conditions, etc.

    In The End Does It Really Matter?

    If you told your end use buyer..."Check it out.  I have this property under contract at 123 Main street.  I think its worth 100k.  I'm offering it out at 65k."  Do you honestly think that the buyer you are going to interact will do any of the following?

    a.  Believe you.

    b.  Ignore checking the comparables themselves.

    c.  Take your word for it on the repairs

    The answer is "Of course not." 

    But what if you told them this... "Check it out. I have this property under contract at 123 main, and I think its worth 100k. Check it out yourself, because I may be wrong. But no matter what... I am selling this home on Saturday to the first guy with $2500 in a Non Refundable EMD check."

    Let them know you might be wrong.  Who cares? they are gonna check it out anyway.  But when you have a HIGHLY MOTIVATED Seller (which is what I teach you to focus on finding for free) then win lose or draw on the price, you are going to be close enough.  

    In short, you don't need a machete... you need a scalpel.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    So what happens to the "highly motivated seller" when your student, who has placed the property under contract and tied it up while having no idea what it is worth, fails to find a buyer?  Does your student then close?  Somehow I doubt it.  I suspect your student walks away after having taken a desperate sellers options away for a month, and the seller is screwed.

    Don't make offers if you cannot close.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.