NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 0 votes

I found this on another site and was given permission by the author to post it here. I am neutral, have no experience with Nouveau, but found the review extremely interesting.

NOUVEAU RICHE - New Bootcamp/guru - Dolf

There's a new kid on the block in the world of RE Guru's known as Nouveau Riche. This group sells exclusively products from Dolf de Roos (one of Robert Kiyosaki's "Mentors"). They are springing up a lot in Utah and Arizona, as well as several other countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and England primarily). If you haven't heard about them yet, I imagine that you will in the future. I wanted to share my experience with them with anyone that might be contemplating joining their organization.

Disclaimers
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED, SELLING, PROMOTING, OR REPRESENTING NOUVEAU RICHE! (Read on and you'll Believe me!) My experiences were in March of 2003. The company was started in November 2002. Perhaps the company is more mature and efficient now. That said, some of my information might be out of date. Additionally, I'm going to boil this down so that you can read it in one sitting. I could write a lot more. Let me know if you want me to expand on any particular point. I appologize for the length of this post, but hope that it provides someone with information they're looking for.

My Experience
I've enjoyed going to some of the 3 Hour "Free RE" seminars that pop up at hotels where they get you there and wet your appetite and try to sell their seminars (after you go to 3 or 4 you start to laugh at how much alike they all are). It opens my eyes to what other guru's & groups are all about. I meet people and learn a thing or two. With Nouveau Riche I was initially impressed. I was an unemployed RE Investor in the making. I though it could be a good thing to get involved with so I could continue learning about RE, network, teach others about RE, and make some money in the process while I was trying to invest. I went to multiple meetings (3 I think), went to lunch with about 14 of them, went to one of their houses and met with 3 of them, and spent many hours on the phone and after meetings chatting with various members of the organization. Additionally, I knew a couple of them from other connections. I bought the lowest package deal (and returned it), and I seriously considered joining the group, but did not. Here are my reasons.

Overview
There are 3 packages that you can pay for and join in with. The first is about $3500, the second is around $6,000, and the third is $7,000 (these are the prices if you buy them all together. I believe they're more expensive if you buy them separately. These are estimates, but the total cost is $16,000 for all three). Any time you buy any one of these, your "Friend" who sold it to you keeps 70% of the COST of the product (which is negotiable, but they won't tell you that) Note: I've heard that they've rearranged their pricing so the lowest one is cheaper, but they're all still about $16K. If you join and sell NR, your "sponsor" makes a profit on your purchase and your next two. Their motto is "Buy one, Sell two".

-Package #1. $3500. Includes: REMS (Real Estate Management Software)
If you've never used anything else, you'll think it's great. If you've used ANYTHING else, you'll hate it. I found it cumbersome, non-conforming, and counterintuitive (not to mention very expensive compared to other things out there).

REPS (Real Estate Purchase Software
(see REMS). I had about the same feeling. You can get spreadsheets from realtors that do the same thing. Heck, I made my own. It's not rocket science; it's a few equations (only mine does more!). If you know how to do a dozen or so equations in Excel you can do it yourself (BTW, I didn't know anything about excel when I started to make mine).

CD's
You get 12 audio CD's of Dolf giving one of his seminars. After I listened to the CD's I didn't think it was worth paying to go to hear him speak (more on that later).

Books
They tossed in a few de Roos's books that you can get at any bookstore as fillers. $30 worth or so.

Seminar
Included was a 2 day seminar (You have to pay all expenses,travel, air, etc) that was 6 months away. (but only a 3 day return policy)

Package #2. $6,000. Includes:
3 Day Seminar
(see above)

Package #3. $7000. Includes:
5 Day Seminar
(See Above).

With all of the products you receive a weekly newsletter from Dolf (kind of what you would read from Carleton Sheets). There are also world wide teleconferences where everyone could participate, and local groups. The worldwide teleconferences were interesting. Everyone was from Utah, Phoenix, or Australia. (Keep in mind, this was when the company was still fairly small and new). One of two things would happen. We'd end up talking about specific neighborhoods in phoenix (that's great if you're in phoenix, but what if you're in New York,..or Mexico) or the moderator would say "You need to ask your lawyer/accountant that question" because the info was way too generic. Most questions were given about one minute of consideration. I can only imagine how they'll be once they've got people on their from 10 countries and all over the USA. As for the local groups, I already told you who was running them. I asked when they met, for how long, where at, what they discussed, etc. Everything was answered like "we haven't exactly decided..". bottom line, there hadn't been any local RE educational meetings, only recruiting meetings (which they'd had a ton of).

Seminars
In two days they claimed that they would teach you all about real estate so you could run out and do it. Additionally they were going to teach you how to do it many different ways and many different techniques. The most useful thing he teaches is "look at 100 properties". If you do that with ANYTHING you'll learn the market (cars, boats, houses, multi's etc). They must cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e., stupidest person in the audience) and speak in generalities because after all they have everyone from high school dropouts who put the $16K on a credit card to doctors and MBA's. Fluffy stories that tell you to make your money when you buy, buy properties and then change them (rent them, divide them, etc), look at 100 properties, etc. Additionally they talk about how to take advantage of global RE fluctuations and buy properties in China, Argentina, and Mexico. If you can't afford to leave your job, travel to china, hire others to do it for you, you don't know how to invest in your back yard, and you don't know Chinese, then Chinese Real Estate is not for you...At least not yet. There are great opportunities outside of the USA, but you've got more things to learn and over come as you get into international real estate.

High Pressure Sales
During that time, I was negotiating two real estate deals that would have taken up most of the capital I had in closing costs, appraisals, inspections, deferred maintenance, etc. Across the board I was encouraged by the Nouveau Riche reps to spend ALL of my savings on the seminars and products (that I would not gone to for about 7 months) rather than use it to secure 2 profitable real estate projects. Interesting attitude from a company that encourages you to buy real estate. One of those was a 24 unit apartment building which I now own.

Selling To Others
They encouraged me to make a list of 200 people who I could contact and invite them to explore the product. I did this. After I had looked across the list of names of 200 friends and family, there were only 3 of them that I felt like I could sell this to without feeling like a weasel, draining their pocketbooks, encouraging them to take on debt, deceiving them, and hoping that they wouldn't resent me for talking them into something that is $16,000 when most of the same information is available for cheap or free. Bottom line, I didn't believe it was worth that. Additionally I knew that $11,000 of that $16K would be going into my pocket. I know that other people have margins to make, but other products are not that expensive, nor do they have those margins.

Experience
Most of the people in NR had very little RE experience. Those who did, had it before they became involved. They would say that they were going to host the meetings and teach you about RE. Most of the ones that DID have RE had it because they'd made a killing selling NR to others and they bought RE conventionally with that money, often times paying cash for the properties. Most have no idea how to buy properties creatively.

Pyramid
It is NOT a Pyramid scheme by definition. It is Legal. That said, it looks and feels a lot like one. I've heard them tell people "you'll make so much money selling this that you can buy all the RE you want". There's something seriously wrong with this picture. I won't go into the definition of a pyramid scheme, but it does feel like it. Legally, there has to be an inexpensive way to get into any MLM (which they claim they're not, but they are. Just a shallow one). It's usually between $45 and $100. For NR it's $75. When I finally decided that I'd be interested in joining to see how it goes, they wouldn't let me join for $75. I told them they had to by law. They retaliated by saying that they'd let me, but that there would be NO support for me at all until I paid at least the $3500 to "show my commitment". I responded by saying "What motivation do you have to help and support me if you've already been paid" to which they had no good response other than "I wasn't committed". The bottom line is that they're more interested in recruiting (and forcing their recruits to buy product) than actually selling their product.

Learning Curve
Now that you've paid your $16K, you STILL have to figure out how to buy RE. You're not trading money for knowledge. Ron LeGrand will have seminars that are several days long where he teaches short sales, and ONLY short sales. I know many people, who have paid a lot for their education, but they walk out, and they pocket $20K on their first deal. He gives them the forms, the strategies, the equations, the words to use, etc. He trains you very specifically how to do a very narrowly-focused, very profitable transaction. NR does no such thing. NR students will still be found on TCI, libraries, and bookstores trying to figure it out.

Opportunity Costs
By now you know that I don't think their product is worth what they ask. What is the opportunity cost (what you could have done) with the $16,000. Look at it this way. If you were to open a separate checking account, how long would it take you to stash away an extra $16K. Most people (with say a $32K/year income) would be doing really well if they could stash away an extra $5K a year after all expenses, taxes, contributions, retirement, etc. That's 3 years of discretionary income. Or they could quit their job, move in with mom and dad, and do nothing but read library books, RE websites, and talk with people and begin to learn the business.

Sharing
One of the biggest turn-offs was the attitude towards sharing information with other investors. They treat RE techniques like they're responsible for protecting the ancient secrets (such as buy low, sell high, rehab, buy distressed properties, lease options, etc) that are theirs to protect and hand down only to chosen individuals. (Chosen = "paid thousands of dollars). If you ask them a question, they're response is something like "You ought to come to one of our meetings to find out more about our organization." Interestingly enough, they can be found at other meetings asking questions and trying to learn from others. One-way vacuum. It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

Insiders
They claim to provide strategic partnerships. I've personally spoken with two of their "partners". Both receive referrals and commissions of some sort from the NR members/organization when they work with them. Both are extremely knowledgeable about RE. Neither one is impressed with NR. One helps them find properties. They have a waiting list of several hundred buyers (NR students) for their name to get to the top of a list so that they can spring onto an opportunity (often a SFR in an area most investors run from at about 85% LTV). (I also know one of the guys that provides them with properties. ANYONE can go to him and get the same deal any time, and without waiting on a list! In any case, they only have half a dozen properties per month come up. That list is only getting longer.

Other Opinions
I'll put it this way. 100% of the investors that I know, respect, and trust their opinions don't like NR. They'll roll their eyes or laugh hysterically at best or get angry and disgusted at worst. The only people who I've heard say good things about them were those who were involved and those who were new to RE.

In their Defense
I do have a handful of good things that I can say about them. In recent months I've talked to a few people who are NR students say some good things about NR. This could be to save their ego or it could be because they genuinely feel that way. I thought the people involved were fun to be with and associate with. Additionally I think that there are people who NEED to pay $16K to get a fire under their pants and get going in RE. If they start buying one SFR per year at 95% LTV and do so for the rest of their life, but wouldn't have without NR, then I suppose that it was money well spent. For if they hadn't made the financial commitment, nothing would have happened. Additionally, from a business standpoint, I guess I've got to have a bit of respect for someone who can talk people into paying $16K (putting $11K in their pocket) for 10 days of seminars, 12 CD's, a couple of books, and some mediocre software.

Conclusion
Recently our local RE group received a letter from an individual who was about to join NR when she found our group. She indicated that ours was much more informative when it came to learning about real estate (as opposed to recruiting).

As for the boot camps, I am very opposed to bad RE "boot camps, or the ones that you pay $3000 for and half of the time is spent explaining to you why you need to spend $10,000 for the next one. Many are simply motivational hype, but no training. That said, there are some great ones out there that will help you stagger through your first deal, do better on your second, and have it down pat by your third (more or less anyways). I do not feel that this is one of them. Your time and money are extremely valuable. Spend them both wisely. $16K is a new car, a down payment on a house, 4 nice, exotic vacations, consumer debt elimination. Most people think long and hard about spending that kind of money on any one of those things listed. Do the same with the RE packages that you are considering.

Added: January 12th 2004
Reviewer: hibby76
Score:
Hits: 16711

0Reply
393 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 48 posts · 21 votes
16y

NRU is great if you have $16k to invest in education after or before you purchase 10 property deals. The same can be said for every other educational product, ie Russ Whitney, RichDad Education or RDU. I am not knocking any of these offerings. You can make money, as an affiliate. But you damage your reputation in most cases doing so. This site is priceless for the valuable real world education you can get. I developed a simple solution in the beginning. Attend any free training, until you no longer can afford to spend time at a free workshop, web conference, etc. Because if you are doing deals, eventually your time will be worth more than the workshops and NRU can provide. Fear of the unknown, failure, and making mistakes it used to motivate large purchases.

I stopped buying courses, and started buying property.

There is private money available, realtors are a great start. Sign up for the free newsletters, and watch the course costs drop with each email.

The reason RichDad stops marketing to you if you buy. Is because you may see the same free tips, in the paid material, and start wondering why you paid if they eventually give it away.

There is an easy way to qualify the value of any course: is it sold on eBay? Free markets determine the real world price to value ratio in many cases, maybe not all. Of course asking here is a great way also.

Please spend your money and time investing in deals before you buy the education materials.

Libraries, newsletters, and forums are free.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    John's question is very valid!

    Most of the folks I have met via NR have not made any money from RE, only from recruiting. Many of the leaders ONLY focus on that part of the business, and THAT is why NR gets the well deserved bad rap!

    My partner, Ryan O'Donnell is a NR success story. He did 7 deals without using any of his own money, and it was all due to the NR education. Their actual program is very good, and I have never heard a bad thing about the actual education side of the business.

    That said, many of Ryan's "mentors" were not happy that he chose to pursue real estate over recruiting. (Since it is an MLM, if you are a member not recruiting, the people above you make no money!)

    I also found out that when you are at the "University" the head of NR comes to speak....Oh, and for an extra $99 fee!

    Are you freakin' kidding me! A person just paid $19,500, or 50% of that, and now needs to pay extra to hear the leader talk about where the company is going???

    My advice to NR if you really are authentic and want to change is simply this....DUMP the MLM portion of your business, lower the prices, and focus on creating REAL investors.

    Just my two cents....

    LOVE IT!

    Harrison

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Ah yes the 1 poster wingmen have cometh again :mrgreen:

  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y

    Can't someone delete that post.
    People that do that annoy the hell out of me.
    Not an advertisement my a**!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Guys -
    I believe that Tanya has good intentions here. She emailed me asking why BiggerPockets is so against NRU, and I explained that we are not against them at all, but our members are not fond of the tactics that their members employ in their recruiting. The reason there is so much negative sentiment is that there are so few people who come here with the intention of being part of our community. I'd love to hear about their success from NR, as I would with anyone else who is making money with real estate thanks to them.

    That said, what most NRU students do when they get here is post a new thread talking about how great the company is (I'm unable to judge either way) or they get involved in one of the few active NRU threads and hype the company. While that's all well and good, rarely, if ever, do they then actively participate on the site and give back to the community OR interact and do business with others on the site. Rarely, if NEVER do they demonstrate their success in real estate thanks to the school.

    If more NR students would come here and prove how good the education is through their actions, then I'm sure the general feelings of the members here would improve drastically.

    Time will tell whether Tanya is here to get involved in BP or to promote NR . . . I hope we'll see her jump in and give us all some perspective on all the various discussions happening here.

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    17y

    The fact that groups like NR, RD PD, LU, etc. charge a huge amount of $ makes me wonder what their main objective is. I know their all a for profit venture, but it sure seems from the amount of evidence, that it's all about the marketing and growing membership. I'm sure there are people who need someone to encourage them and guide them, otherwise they would never get started. So, the question is at what cost?

    I don't know much about NR, but I have some other very tough questions about what you've said in your profile.

    What is lapidary and rockhounding???

    Welcome to BP!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    OK, you've learned a lot, created a corporation, and plunked down $19,500. How much money have you made using the techniques you learned from NR?

    Originally posted by Harrison:
    John's question is very valid!
    Valid, yes but we have all (myself included) prejudged people here before finding out more details just because it "appears" to be the same spam or ad posts as before, not just with NR.
    In all fairness, there is NOTHING wrong with NR education, but everything wrong with the marketers it develops.

    Tanya, speaking for ALL of BP Nation, we apologize for your feelings of un-welcomeness (is that even a word - if not it should be) and hope that you prove to be one of the few who come here to learn and network for RE deals and not the NR marketing that we all are sick of (hence this thread).

    I have studied several NR courses (never gone to the college or paid the outrageous fees) and think the education is very well written and delivered. However, the ONLY way a student of NR or ANY program can succeed is if they have the determination and desire inside to do so. I am sure you and all agree with that.

    That all said, the ball is now in your court to stick around, contribute to the forums, stay active and prove yourself as a valuable member of this community as I have had to do (and enjoyed almost every minute of it) and so may others like me. One of the many great things about BP is the influence levels. You can see who is a regular participant and who is a spammer right of the bat. It is a nice tool for all of us.

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 28 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by nationwidepi:
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    OK, you've learned a lot, created a corporation, and plunked down $19,500. How much money have you made using the techniques you learned from NR?

    Originally posted by Harrison:
    John's question is very valid!
    Valid, yes but we have all (myself included) prejudged people here before finding out more details just because it "appears" to be the same spam or ad posts as before, not just with NR.
    In all fairness, there is NOTHING wrong with NR education, but everything wrong with the marketers it develops.

    Tanya, speaking for ALL of BP Nation, we apologize for your feelings of un-welcomeness (is that even a word - if not it should be) and hope that you prove to be one of the few who come here to learn and network for RE deals and not the NR marketing that we all are sick of (hence this thread).

    I have studied several NR courses (never gone to the college or paid the outrageous fees) and think the education is very well written and delivered. However, the ONLY way a student of NR or ANY program can succeed is if they have the determination and desire inside to do so. I am sure you and all agree with that.

    That all said, the ball is now in your court to stick around, contribute to the forums, stay active and prove yourself as a valuable member of this community as I have had to do (and enjoyed almost every minute of it) and so may others like me. One of the many great things about BP is the influence levels. You can see who is a regular participant and who is a spammer right of the bat. It is a nice tool for all of us.



    Well put Will. :cool: You get my vote.

    un-welcomeness???? I don"t know. :D LOL. But I like it.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Thanks Tony, much appreciated.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Tanya . . . have you left us?

  • Homeowner · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I am currently with NR and used to market but decided to just invest. I never purchased the college but did purchase the first two packages NR offers which I will go into details later.


    First of all one of my business associates introduced me to NR and of course he is a marketing guy and loved this, I smelled MLM all over and blew him off several times and of course he hounded me until he finally broke me down and I went to a meeting. I wasn't really interested in the marketing but wanted to learn how to do REI. I eventually ponied up the $5200 for the seek which teaches you how to start your own company and the home study course which was called R2E2 at the time and for a rookie like myself it has some very good information for a beginner.I really had no intentions of the marketing side but my mentor kept telling me how easy it is to get people in NR. I hesitated at first and decided to market which from the get go I hated it. I tried and could get anyone to come to the meetings and of course NR wanted me to bring in my friends and family, which I never did, no way I was going to let my friends and family see this dog and pony show. I also had split mentors with the top dog in Phoenix area and CH is a very nice man and has made over 1 million on the market side. I did notice something that was kinda strange when I joined that 99% of everyone in NR at least in the Phoenix area doesn't invest they only market, a few guys do both and the so called a team that does lots of short sales BP & TH are jokes at best. I approached TH who is like the funny man at these events he is always telling jokes and trying to keep people awake because the meetings are so boring. speaking of boring I fell asleep when another so called A teamer MG the MC was talking about NR he is one of the worst speakers I have ever heard, I should have him next to my bed when he talks, I can fall asleep, lol. Well when I asked TH for some help, I had 25K I was going to invest and be a hard money lender or help a friend with a SS, I asked if he could teach me how to do that. Just like a typical NR leader he said I will partner up with you and take half your profits but I can't teach you anything because I paid 16k at the school and it is not fair for me to teach you when you haven't gone to the college. Well that really ticked me off and I said eff that and I never gave him any money.




    You are right about NR it is all about marketing and nobody will help you do any deals unless you paid 16k to go to college. I am glad I only paid $5200 I got off cheap. Everyone I know in the Phoenix market that is investing isn't making big bucks, how these guys got rich was selling to people and getting commissions and they all did this in a good economy, A few are doing ok but not raking in the bucks like the past. I forgot to mention after I purchased the first two packages my mentors kept on me about getting the college and told me that they was thinking of raising the price to 19k. After being involved and see first hand about this company they do offer good information on the education but that is if you do not know anything about REI, I am happy with what I purchased but I think I will save my money on the college unless I get two people to pay for my education if I ever decide to market again because they pay you $8k after you get certified at the college level which means you have to sign up 5 people to pay 16k.




    About the leaders of NR the guy they call the General BS he was a big player back in the day with Amway and we know how that works, another thing I have nothing against Mormons but alot of the money guys or so called leaders are Mormon, One guy is even related to the polygamist Warren Jeffs he has the same last name and told someone that is his uncle...




    Well that my story and I am sticking to it, Peace Out........................

  • Homeowner · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Also forgot to mention this husband and wife team that is doing well in the REI game because the husband is a REO agent, this couple DM & PM do a briefing on how they made 20k to 30k this year on REOS. Mrs brags about the SEEK product which teaches you how to do draw up a detailed business plan and that her and her husband plus their team went to a local resort and drew up one of these business plans over a weekend. Well since I purchased the SEEK and they are bragging about it, wouldn't you think they would be more than welcome to help you. So I emailed DM that is the wife and told her I purchased the SEEK product and could you send me your business plan as a example or model so I can do the same, she also knows who I am it not like I am a complete stranger. Well she emailed me back a week later and said, it wouldn't be fair for her and her team to share this information with me because they had done all this work and had this revelation over such in such weekend trip to this fancy resort to draw this up. All these people care about is making money not helping anyone. I do know a few NR students that will help you but they are on the down low because if NR finds out I think they will 86 them from the program and these few also like to market.

    Check this out this lady named TF had such a hissy fit over this one guy who started a mastermind investor group on how to do REI. Well this one guy TF signed up joined this investors group because he is 3 or 4 down on the tape line plus he really only wanted to market NR not purchase any education. TF doesn't know anything about REI, she only wants to market. She contacted a few of the big A TEAMERS, TH, MG plus the Big Dog in this area CH and told these leaders that this guy who started the investor group was stealing one of her so called marketing team members. Well every since that day I have always hung around this group and have been snubbed by several A and B TEAMERS of NR because they don't like this Mastermind Investor group leader.

    Just thought of something else that is very funny this couple that moved from Hawaii CW & SW they are 5 star certified and all they do is market, well you would think if they are 5 stars they are pretty effing good at what they do, to be 5 star what that means is everyone they bring in they get paid $1000, $1750 or $8000 on the products that NR markets. I was just starting to make a name for myself in the marketing game and bringing in a lot of people to these events. I also posted several ads on Craigslist, well this Couple CW & SW stole my effing ad they copied and pasted it in another ad word for word except change the contact information. I called the number to see who it was because if it was a new person I was gonna cut them some slack and say hey it not cool to copy somebody ad word for word, you should change it to more of your personality, I called and they had a generic voice mail so I didn't really know who ad it was so then I emailed them and I couldn't believe who contacted me, Wow a effing so called 5 Star couple that been in the game for close to 5 years. Every time I saw the husband at a meeting he looked very embarrassed. Funny how they contacted me they called me because I hung up on their voicemail and was trying to market NR, both was on the line I said hey this is J and they got really quiet, I told them nice ad because that was my ad. I listened to the silence on the line and waited for a uh um uh and finally told them you think you could have changed it more to fit your personality, they was so effing embarrassed, I was laughing inside so hard, that is how I got a apology and they did change the ad after it ran 1 week. I lost so much respect for this company and this so called 5 star couple. I am done with marketing NR, I joined to make money in REI not sell effing education. That is basically how it works here in Az, plain and simple NR is basically a Marketing Company in the Arizona Market.

  • Real Estate Investor · Horsham, PA · Member since 2009 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Guys -
    I believe that Tanya has good intentions here. She emailed me asking why BiggerPockets is so against NRU, and I explained that we are not against them at all, but our members are not fond of the tactics that their members employ in their recruiting. The reason there is so much negative sentiment is that there are so few people who come here with the intention of being part of our community. I'd love to hear about their success from NR, as I would with anyone else who is making money with real estate thanks to them.

    That said, what most NRU students do when they get here is post a new thread talking about how great the company is (I'm unable to judge either way) or they get involved in one of the few active NRU threads and hype the company. While that's all well and good, rarely, if ever, do they then actively participate on the site and give back to the community OR interact and do business with others on the site. Rarely, if NEVER do they demonstrate their success in real estate thanks to the school.

    If more NR students would come here and prove how good the education is through their actions, then I'm sure the general feelings of the members here would improve drastically.

    Time will tell whether Tanya is here to get involved in BP or to promote NR . . . I hope we'll see her jump in and give us all some perspective on all the various discussions happening here.

    Hello All,

    Sorry I have not logged in for a long time been very busy traveling and such. I noticed I had 89 e-mails from Bigger Pockects so I clicked on the one about Nouveau Riche, since it's strange that last week while in NC on Vacation I meet with a guy I know pretty well who had been involved with Nouveau Riche since the first 6 or 7 months it started.

    We we talking about what deals we had done over the last 4 or 5 years and he mentioned something about what Nouvea Riche calllsd the IC. (Investor Concierge). Where they find the propertys for you.

    He honestly said he had bought only 1 property from them in Atlanta back in 2004 and it had a small cash flow, but with the current market it was worth no more than he paid for it in 2004 and the rents have not gone up. So he really had no equity in it and the cash flow was around $100 a month IF everything went right for the month.

    So I ask him whats the Real Deal on Nouveau Riche?

    He explained a LOT to me...but I will try to break it down to the facts from his experience with them.

    Nouveau Riche itself is a company that markets Real Estate Education that has Home Study and Live Classes out in AZ you can attend a week at a time up to 4 times each year.

    The "Sales Reps" (or whatever they call themselves these days) mostly buy 1 product or 2 products (Ranging From say $1695 to around $20,000) and then sell 2 more to get "Qualified" to make 50% commissioin off the sales.

    So the newbies have to make the sales first in order to have money to do real estate deals, so he says. Some have attended the classes and some have not, but most are in their first year of real estate.

    He said that the Nouveau Rich reps are NOT the people you really go to, if you have questions on how to do "Real Estate" or set up a business using SEEK, unless you know them very well and have a realationship with them and know they know what they are doing in Real Estate or business. These are your "Salespeople" for the most part. Say 80% of the time.

    Nouveau Riche employs expert coaches and teachers who work in the field they teach and have been a huge success to teach the students. These are the people he said he turned to to get help doing deals. They have live calls a couple of times each week to ask specific questions on deals and the live classes and you can e-mail the instructors as well.

    This is where a lot of the negative talk on NRU comes from he says. It is from people being confused that the "Sale Reps" are the Teachers. They are not. Again, he said for the most part 80% or so of them are students just like they are and are not qualifed to help you with anything other than helping you learn how to sale Nouveau Riche Educational programs to others and making money to do more deals that way.

    He said back in 2004, 2005, 2006, he had months in Nouveau Riche where he did make $16,000 a month in commission and some months zero. Of course he do did about 12 -15 deals during that "Boom Time" and made over $450,000.00 in profit from real estate and still now has 5 or so cash flow rentals he has kept that give him a few grand also each month.

    So he said the bottom line is for the folks who buy an educational product and attend all the classes when they are offered and take action, most make 10 to 20 times more back in Real Estate than they paid for the education.

    Then there are those who can't see the forest for the tree in their face, and just try to "out hype the next guy" and sell, sell, sell to make commissions. Just like any commisson sales job.

    The Education helped by friend because he said Surprise!
    He worked his A double SS off and took action, to get where he is at today in Real Estate and business.

    Also Nouveau Riche "Love it or Hate it" is into its 6th year I am told and is growing all the time. He said they are in the works of building an acutal College for Real Estate where you can get a degree. (I will believe it when I see it).

    As Josh said I would also like to hear real llife success stories on the Real Estate Investing side with Nouveau Riche Students.

    Anyway, stop reading this and go put some deal together, thats what I am going to do!

  • Flipper · Torrance, CA · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    16y

    Wow I cant believe I just read this whole thread. I went to a Nouveau Riche University meeting today after seeing an ad on craigslist titled "REAL ESTATE Investors Looking for Entrepreneurs" they put together a 4 min webinar http://www.getyourdreamsback.net and also http://www.createwealthsoon.com. It is the same info, different postings on craigslist.

    Basically the speaker Greg Goodman (who by doing a google search is a member of newwealthadvisors) spoke about deals that people in Nouveau have done. He seemed to be a knowledgeable real estate investor. I came to this conclusion based on the questions that were asked and his responses. Anyways after 2.5 hours of showing us how much money everyone in his company is making, he made a serious sale pitch on a 3 day training they are having this month for $500. I liked how he claimed not to be a salesman but man he did sell us the 3 day classes.

    Anyways Im assuming after the 3 day classes they want you to enroll into this 16,000 program that everyone is talking about.

    I will not be spending $500 when there is soo much great info here. I am very happy to have found this website and have so much learning to do. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable REI here and hope to become one in the future.

  • Astoria, NY · Member since 2009 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Everybody here are most welcome. It's a free site to nourish your interest in the real estate industry. Many expensive courses and books can be easily avoided if you go through article and forum post.
    Your testimonials are a great help to increase forum's member to 50,000 by 2010. Thanks to everyone. Nick Brian.

  • Homeowner · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Nouveau Riche is hurting big time, I have seen several Top Level People jumping off the bandwagon, Just in the last month, CW who was the top income earner since he started 6 or 7 years and he made 7 figures every year at NR, left to join another marketing company that has nothing to do with REI and he took several of his top performers with him. I talked to him personally and he said NR is done and he was way up the food chain, he also mentioned that NR has a good product but is very pricey in today's economy.

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 48 posts · 21 votes
    16y

    NRU is great if you have $16k to invest in education after or before you purchase 10 property deals. The same can be said for every other educational product, ie Russ Whitney, RichDad Education or RDU. I am not knocking any of these offerings. You can make money, as an affiliate. But you damage your reputation in most cases doing so. This site is priceless for the valuable real world education you can get. I developed a simple solution in the beginning. Attend any free training, until you no longer can afford to spend time at a free workshop, web conference, etc. Because if you are doing deals, eventually your time will be worth more than the workshops and NRU can provide. Fear of the unknown, failure, and making mistakes it used to motivate large purchases.

    I stopped buying courses, and started buying property.

    There is private money available, realtors are a great start. Sign up for the free newsletters, and watch the course costs drop with each email.

    The reason RichDad stops marketing to you if you buy. Is because you may see the same free tips, in the paid material, and start wondering why you paid if they eventually give it away.

    There is an easy way to qualify the value of any course: is it sold on eBay? Free markets determine the real world price to value ratio in many cases, maybe not all. Of course asking here is a great way also.

    Please spend your money and time investing in deals before you buy the education materials.

    Libraries, newsletters, and forums are free.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Guys -
    I believe that Tanya has good intentions here. She emailed me asking why BiggerPockets is so against NRU, and I explained that we are not against them at all, but our members are not fond of the tactics that their members employ in their recruiting. The reason there is so much negative sentiment is that there are so few people who come here with the intention of being part of our community. I'd love to hear about their success from NR, as I would with anyone else who is making money with real estate thanks to them.

    That said, what most NRU students do when they get here is post a new thread talking about how great the company is (I'm unable to judge either way) or they get involved in one of the few active NRU threads and hype the company. While that's all well and good, rarely, if ever, do they then actively participate on the site and give back to the community OR interact and do business with others on the site. Rarely, if NEVER do they demonstrate their success in real estate thanks to the school.

    If more NR students would come here and prove how good the education is through their actions, then I'm sure the general feelings of the members here would improve drastically.

    Time will tell whether Tanya is here to get involved in BP or to promote NR . . . I hope we'll see her jump in and give us all some perspective on all the various discussions happening here.


    Six months later, let's see what that amount of time has told us: the aforementioned Tanya has a grand total of 1 (ONE) post. "Enuff said" to use the words of one of our more esteemed members (thanks Rich) :D
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    enuff said! Esteemed member? Just older! I still hate novo rich- It gives my name a bad name!!! The real Rich...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y

    Thats funny Rich, I like that.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I voted for the 'Real Rich'

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    If I was Rich Whitney, I'd be getting an even worse ruputation!! Of course, Whitney is now an alter ego with RICH dad poor dad. Again, My NAME!!!!! Rich

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    If I was Rich Whitney, I'd be getting an even worse ruputation!! Of course, Whitney is now an alter ego with RICH dad poor dad. Again, My NAME!!!!! Rich
    Seems like these Rich guys are not Rich at all! No comparison Rich!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    16y

    I can't believe this thread is still going!
    Hasn't everything that can be said about Nouveau Riche been said?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by James Ward:
    I can't believe this thread is still going!
    Hasn't everything that can be said about Nouveau Riche been said?
    Absolutely and then some James, that is why the attempt to convert it to a "Rich" debate was made. Perhaps a new thread for that is in order. :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · Sherman oaks, CA · Member since 2010 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    16y

    This must be the longest thread on this whole site and it was finished before it even started!..Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.