NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 0 votes

I found this on another site and was given permission by the author to post it here. I am neutral, have no experience with Nouveau, but found the review extremely interesting.

NOUVEAU RICHE - New Bootcamp/guru - Dolf

There's a new kid on the block in the world of RE Guru's known as Nouveau Riche. This group sells exclusively products from Dolf de Roos (one of Robert Kiyosaki's "Mentors"). They are springing up a lot in Utah and Arizona, as well as several other countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and England primarily). If you haven't heard about them yet, I imagine that you will in the future. I wanted to share my experience with them with anyone that might be contemplating joining their organization.

Disclaimers
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED, SELLING, PROMOTING, OR REPRESENTING NOUVEAU RICHE! (Read on and you'll Believe me!) My experiences were in March of 2003. The company was started in November 2002. Perhaps the company is more mature and efficient now. That said, some of my information might be out of date. Additionally, I'm going to boil this down so that you can read it in one sitting. I could write a lot more. Let me know if you want me to expand on any particular point. I appologize for the length of this post, but hope that it provides someone with information they're looking for.

My Experience
I've enjoyed going to some of the 3 Hour "Free RE" seminars that pop up at hotels where they get you there and wet your appetite and try to sell their seminars (after you go to 3 or 4 you start to laugh at how much alike they all are). It opens my eyes to what other guru's & groups are all about. I meet people and learn a thing or two. With Nouveau Riche I was initially impressed. I was an unemployed RE Investor in the making. I though it could be a good thing to get involved with so I could continue learning about RE, network, teach others about RE, and make some money in the process while I was trying to invest. I went to multiple meetings (3 I think), went to lunch with about 14 of them, went to one of their houses and met with 3 of them, and spent many hours on the phone and after meetings chatting with various members of the organization. Additionally, I knew a couple of them from other connections. I bought the lowest package deal (and returned it), and I seriously considered joining the group, but did not. Here are my reasons.

Overview
There are 3 packages that you can pay for and join in with. The first is about $3500, the second is around $6,000, and the third is $7,000 (these are the prices if you buy them all together. I believe they're more expensive if you buy them separately. These are estimates, but the total cost is $16,000 for all three). Any time you buy any one of these, your "Friend" who sold it to you keeps 70% of the COST of the product (which is negotiable, but they won't tell you that) Note: I've heard that they've rearranged their pricing so the lowest one is cheaper, but they're all still about $16K. If you join and sell NR, your "sponsor" makes a profit on your purchase and your next two. Their motto is "Buy one, Sell two".

-Package #1. $3500. Includes: REMS (Real Estate Management Software)
If you've never used anything else, you'll think it's great. If you've used ANYTHING else, you'll hate it. I found it cumbersome, non-conforming, and counterintuitive (not to mention very expensive compared to other things out there).

REPS (Real Estate Purchase Software
(see REMS). I had about the same feeling. You can get spreadsheets from realtors that do the same thing. Heck, I made my own. It's not rocket science; it's a few equations (only mine does more!). If you know how to do a dozen or so equations in Excel you can do it yourself (BTW, I didn't know anything about excel when I started to make mine).

CD's
You get 12 audio CD's of Dolf giving one of his seminars. After I listened to the CD's I didn't think it was worth paying to go to hear him speak (more on that later).

Books
They tossed in a few de Roos's books that you can get at any bookstore as fillers. $30 worth or so.

Seminar
Included was a 2 day seminar (You have to pay all expenses,travel, air, etc) that was 6 months away. (but only a 3 day return policy)

Package #2. $6,000. Includes:
3 Day Seminar
(see above)

Package #3. $7000. Includes:
5 Day Seminar
(See Above).

With all of the products you receive a weekly newsletter from Dolf (kind of what you would read from Carleton Sheets). There are also world wide teleconferences where everyone could participate, and local groups. The worldwide teleconferences were interesting. Everyone was from Utah, Phoenix, or Australia. (Keep in mind, this was when the company was still fairly small and new). One of two things would happen. We'd end up talking about specific neighborhoods in phoenix (that's great if you're in phoenix, but what if you're in New York,..or Mexico) or the moderator would say "You need to ask your lawyer/accountant that question" because the info was way too generic. Most questions were given about one minute of consideration. I can only imagine how they'll be once they've got people on their from 10 countries and all over the USA. As for the local groups, I already told you who was running them. I asked when they met, for how long, where at, what they discussed, etc. Everything was answered like "we haven't exactly decided..". bottom line, there hadn't been any local RE educational meetings, only recruiting meetings (which they'd had a ton of).

Seminars
In two days they claimed that they would teach you all about real estate so you could run out and do it. Additionally they were going to teach you how to do it many different ways and many different techniques. The most useful thing he teaches is "look at 100 properties". If you do that with ANYTHING you'll learn the market (cars, boats, houses, multi's etc). They must cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e., stupidest person in the audience) and speak in generalities because after all they have everyone from high school dropouts who put the $16K on a credit card to doctors and MBA's. Fluffy stories that tell you to make your money when you buy, buy properties and then change them (rent them, divide them, etc), look at 100 properties, etc. Additionally they talk about how to take advantage of global RE fluctuations and buy properties in China, Argentina, and Mexico. If you can't afford to leave your job, travel to china, hire others to do it for you, you don't know how to invest in your back yard, and you don't know Chinese, then Chinese Real Estate is not for you...At least not yet. There are great opportunities outside of the USA, but you've got more things to learn and over come as you get into international real estate.

High Pressure Sales
During that time, I was negotiating two real estate deals that would have taken up most of the capital I had in closing costs, appraisals, inspections, deferred maintenance, etc. Across the board I was encouraged by the Nouveau Riche reps to spend ALL of my savings on the seminars and products (that I would not gone to for about 7 months) rather than use it to secure 2 profitable real estate projects. Interesting attitude from a company that encourages you to buy real estate. One of those was a 24 unit apartment building which I now own.

Selling To Others
They encouraged me to make a list of 200 people who I could contact and invite them to explore the product. I did this. After I had looked across the list of names of 200 friends and family, there were only 3 of them that I felt like I could sell this to without feeling like a weasel, draining their pocketbooks, encouraging them to take on debt, deceiving them, and hoping that they wouldn't resent me for talking them into something that is $16,000 when most of the same information is available for cheap or free. Bottom line, I didn't believe it was worth that. Additionally I knew that $11,000 of that $16K would be going into my pocket. I know that other people have margins to make, but other products are not that expensive, nor do they have those margins.

Experience
Most of the people in NR had very little RE experience. Those who did, had it before they became involved. They would say that they were going to host the meetings and teach you about RE. Most of the ones that DID have RE had it because they'd made a killing selling NR to others and they bought RE conventionally with that money, often times paying cash for the properties. Most have no idea how to buy properties creatively.

Pyramid
It is NOT a Pyramid scheme by definition. It is Legal. That said, it looks and feels a lot like one. I've heard them tell people "you'll make so much money selling this that you can buy all the RE you want". There's something seriously wrong with this picture. I won't go into the definition of a pyramid scheme, but it does feel like it. Legally, there has to be an inexpensive way to get into any MLM (which they claim they're not, but they are. Just a shallow one). It's usually between $45 and $100. For NR it's $75. When I finally decided that I'd be interested in joining to see how it goes, they wouldn't let me join for $75. I told them they had to by law. They retaliated by saying that they'd let me, but that there would be NO support for me at all until I paid at least the $3500 to "show my commitment". I responded by saying "What motivation do you have to help and support me if you've already been paid" to which they had no good response other than "I wasn't committed". The bottom line is that they're more interested in recruiting (and forcing their recruits to buy product) than actually selling their product.

Learning Curve
Now that you've paid your $16K, you STILL have to figure out how to buy RE. You're not trading money for knowledge. Ron LeGrand will have seminars that are several days long where he teaches short sales, and ONLY short sales. I know many people, who have paid a lot for their education, but they walk out, and they pocket $20K on their first deal. He gives them the forms, the strategies, the equations, the words to use, etc. He trains you very specifically how to do a very narrowly-focused, very profitable transaction. NR does no such thing. NR students will still be found on TCI, libraries, and bookstores trying to figure it out.

Opportunity Costs
By now you know that I don't think their product is worth what they ask. What is the opportunity cost (what you could have done) with the $16,000. Look at it this way. If you were to open a separate checking account, how long would it take you to stash away an extra $16K. Most people (with say a $32K/year income) would be doing really well if they could stash away an extra $5K a year after all expenses, taxes, contributions, retirement, etc. That's 3 years of discretionary income. Or they could quit their job, move in with mom and dad, and do nothing but read library books, RE websites, and talk with people and begin to learn the business.

Sharing
One of the biggest turn-offs was the attitude towards sharing information with other investors. They treat RE techniques like they're responsible for protecting the ancient secrets (such as buy low, sell high, rehab, buy distressed properties, lease options, etc) that are theirs to protect and hand down only to chosen individuals. (Chosen = "paid thousands of dollars). If you ask them a question, they're response is something like "You ought to come to one of our meetings to find out more about our organization." Interestingly enough, they can be found at other meetings asking questions and trying to learn from others. One-way vacuum. It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

Insiders
They claim to provide strategic partnerships. I've personally spoken with two of their "partners". Both receive referrals and commissions of some sort from the NR members/organization when they work with them. Both are extremely knowledgeable about RE. Neither one is impressed with NR. One helps them find properties. They have a waiting list of several hundred buyers (NR students) for their name to get to the top of a list so that they can spring onto an opportunity (often a SFR in an area most investors run from at about 85% LTV). (I also know one of the guys that provides them with properties. ANYONE can go to him and get the same deal any time, and without waiting on a list! In any case, they only have half a dozen properties per month come up. That list is only getting longer.

Other Opinions
I'll put it this way. 100% of the investors that I know, respect, and trust their opinions don't like NR. They'll roll their eyes or laugh hysterically at best or get angry and disgusted at worst. The only people who I've heard say good things about them were those who were involved and those who were new to RE.

In their Defense
I do have a handful of good things that I can say about them. In recent months I've talked to a few people who are NR students say some good things about NR. This could be to save their ego or it could be because they genuinely feel that way. I thought the people involved were fun to be with and associate with. Additionally I think that there are people who NEED to pay $16K to get a fire under their pants and get going in RE. If they start buying one SFR per year at 95% LTV and do so for the rest of their life, but wouldn't have without NR, then I suppose that it was money well spent. For if they hadn't made the financial commitment, nothing would have happened. Additionally, from a business standpoint, I guess I've got to have a bit of respect for someone who can talk people into paying $16K (putting $11K in their pocket) for 10 days of seminars, 12 CD's, a couple of books, and some mediocre software.

Conclusion
Recently our local RE group received a letter from an individual who was about to join NR when she found our group. She indicated that ours was much more informative when it came to learning about real estate (as opposed to recruiting).

As for the boot camps, I am very opposed to bad RE "boot camps, or the ones that you pay $3000 for and half of the time is spent explaining to you why you need to spend $10,000 for the next one. Many are simply motivational hype, but no training. That said, there are some great ones out there that will help you stagger through your first deal, do better on your second, and have it down pat by your third (more or less anyways). I do not feel that this is one of them. Your time and money are extremely valuable. Spend them both wisely. $16K is a new car, a down payment on a house, 4 nice, exotic vacations, consumer debt elimination. Most people think long and hard about spending that kind of money on any one of those things listed. Do the same with the RE packages that you are considering.

Added: January 12th 2004
Reviewer: hibby76
Score:
Hits: 16711

0Reply
382 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 48 posts · 21 votes
16y

NRU is great if you have $16k to invest in education after or before you purchase 10 property deals. The same can be said for every other educational product, ie Russ Whitney, RichDad Education or RDU. I am not knocking any of these offerings. You can make money, as an affiliate. But you damage your reputation in most cases doing so. This site is priceless for the valuable real world education you can get. I developed a simple solution in the beginning. Attend any free training, until you no longer can afford to spend time at a free workshop, web conference, etc. Because if you are doing deals, eventually your time will be worth more than the workshops and NRU can provide. Fear of the unknown, failure, and making mistakes it used to motivate large purchases.

I stopped buying courses, and started buying property.

There is private money available, realtors are a great start. Sign up for the free newsletters, and watch the course costs drop with each email.

The reason RichDad stops marketing to you if you buy. Is because you may see the same free tips, in the paid material, and start wondering why you paid if they eventually give it away.

There is an easy way to qualify the value of any course: is it sold on eBay? Free markets determine the real world price to value ratio in many cases, maybe not all. Of course asking here is a great way also.

Please spend your money and time investing in deals before you buy the education materials.

Libraries, newsletters, and forums are free.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Wow. I have never heard of Nouveau Riche University until reading this thread - glad we have such a great community here at BP! :D

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Will, the difference between NR and other gurus/bootcamps is the sleazy way they operate, especially on the internet. It seems like every time a new class of NR attendees graduate, forums are hit with their dog and pony show. One NR salesman comes on the forum pretending to ask a question about NR. Then, the wingman arrives to answer those questions. It's so common that it has become a big joke! NR is looked down upon by members of every forum that I've seen as a result of this behavior.

    The other thing I find to be particularly sleazy are the ads for an "apprentice" that appears to offer the apprentice $10K to $20K per month, when in reality they're trying to sign the "apprentice" up for their $16K training. Here's a link:
    http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/nouveauriche/nouveau_riche02.shtml

    Finally, another thing that stands out with NR is that you almost never hear of one of their "graduates" that is successful in real estate. In fact, they don't ever seem to want to talk about real estate. Almost all the folks that come to the forum are here trying to sell their $16K training, not to talk about real estate.

    They say that you can judge a tree by its fruits. In NR's case, I see a lot of marketing for training and very little real estate.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    -They check me out and find out I went to NR and discredit me. (that hasn't happened... but if it did you get my point..what's a true, honest, hardworking NR student to do?)

    They find out because you direct link to it on your blog under "my education".

    Way to keep real estate investing real.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Ryan ODonnell:
    Honest questions-

    So you think NR is so bad I should hide it so people don't know what my experience really is?

    How would that be real?


    Ryan, may I make a suggestion. Instead of going on and on and on about NR, go into the other forum topics here and be a contributing member.

    The more you fight and drag on anything NR, your really not contributing anything and it's already getting old. I think David brought a good point, if your not wanting the bad rap that comes with NR then stop linking it within your blogs and quit dragging this topic on.

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2008 · 114 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    Does NR represent your experience or your education? I've never heard of someone doing a deal that asked about someone's real estate education. Why does it matter?

    If this place gets such a bad rap, and it is clear that you are concerned about it, why even tell people? If you're truly no longer affiliated, why promote them? They got your $30 grand, right?

    Move on, stop telling people, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

    Unless you are still a part of the organization :idea:

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    I don't have any opinion about NR so I wouldn't care if you hid it or note.

    However, I wouldn't label something that makes me "feel sleazy" (your words, not mine) , as "my education".

    If it were me, I might include it in an "about me" section as a very small point of note. However, in my humble opinion, it now looks to me as if you are sponsoring/affiliating with NR.

    That's all I was trying to say.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Indeed. It would be one thing to mention it in a list of "my education". Its quite another thing to have "my education" on your page actually be a link to NR. That sure looks like an endorsement.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    With all due respect - you've done ELEVEN DEALS! That hardly qualifies you as someone that has made it and needs to give back (which is guru nonsense anyway). If you really want to "give back", then answer questions in the forums for free.

    One of the members here, Jeff, says something very profound: THOSE THAT CAN - DO. THOSE THAT CAN'T - MENTOR!



    It's not important because with REI you don't have an employer. Education is important if you're going to look for a job, it is not important if you own your own company. In business, we keep score with a profit and loss statement, not by looking at your education. Having done REI for a few months and having done a whopping 11 deals doesn't add a lot to your scoresheet. If you really want to "give back", at least get out there and run a serious business for a few years.



    I hate to break this to you, but operating a business is about MAKING A PROFIT! If you want to be part of a charity, go feed the druggies at a soup kitchen.

    Mike
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    The funny thing about Real Estate. It is pretty much 3rd Grade math. That is it.

  • Member since 2009 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    OMG. I have been pitched the NR scheme by so many NR salespeople who pretend to be investors. The only thing they really invest in is pulling others into falling for the pitch. That is how the NR grads make their $$.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    MikeOh,

    This is probably the most I have ever disagreed with you. I feel that educations is even MORE important for a person who will be running their own company. Why not grab as many success tools as possible for your investment war chest?

    Jeff,

    I do not know any 3rd graders that understand the functions of an HP10bII. :lol:

    For that matter, even the most seasoned investor has trouble understanding CFPT and CFAT.

    This is the kind of attitude that gets many investors in trouble.

    Ryan,

    Congratulations on your 11 deals! That is 99.9% more than the average American will even come close to doing! So you are well on your way to real estate success, and I am glad to hear that you are willing to help others make it happen as well. Keep up the great work!

    If you feel that NR has helped define who you are, then you have no choice but to be honest about it. I bought the Carlton Sheets course when I was starting out, and that experience has defined part of who I am, I sure hope that doesn't make me a loser? LOL

    Everyone,

    We all know that many of these guru courses, seminars, and coaches are full of malarkey, but there are many good people that have taken these course, and to lump them all in some kind of generic category is ridiculous.

    Most of these courses have some solid basic information, but the marketing and pressure sales tactics they use are dreadful.

    That said, their are many people who have fallen prey to their expensive trappings, but have still been able to come out the other side and succeed.

    What makes our community so fantastic is the diversity, and number of pathways that people can take to make profits happen in the investment world!!!

    Just my two cents! :mrgreen:

    Have a Profitable Day Everyone!

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 122 posts · 46 votes
    17y

    NR seems like a joke and I'm all for learning, mentoring, and education. I'm fairly confident they can't teach me something I don't already know.

    While we're on the subject of education, I hear wonderful things about CCIM. I cannot personally vouch for it because I've never done, but I hear it has a solid curriculum. Has anyone here gone through the CCIM training?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Please use this ccim thread for ccim discussion.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    MikeOH - In response to your posts about the sleazy NR salepeople, I don't disagree with you and saw many of them here trying to promote as you stated. What I was simply pointing out is not the saleperson crap but the actual education. Most people will attend and get all pumped up and then never really take action, expecting cashg to just fall from the sky with little to no effort on their part. That is just not REAL life as you and I both know. There is a small percentage, however, that are self motivated and smart enough to apply what they have learned and become a success. I am one, my partner is another, and I know of a few more on this site who have taken or had exposure to the NR education and have utilized and applied what they learned. Could they have gotten a similar education for less? Possibly or even probably, but that is not the point to my post.

    Simple as this really: Those who have the determination and brain power will apply what they have learned in the real world while a VAST majority will not. This could be said about any educational or guru program.

    I also disagree with this 100%. Education is important in anything and everything you do. From things as simple as riding a bike, education in how to ride, safety, etc is important. For those who start riding without education could easily crash and kill themselves, or get hit by a car.

    RE investing is not 3rd grade math. My daughter is in 7th grade algebra, but would not know how to read a HUD 1, analize the financials of an aprtment complex or negotiate contracts with a seller or service provider. That statement is just plain RIDICULOUS!
    While it is not rocket science, a certain amount of education compiled with experience is necessary to become successful.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    this topic is so long and drawn out............very boring after 7 pages. I'm surprised it hasn't been locked up.

    Is this the never ending NR thread?

    I noticed Ryan had deleted his post's, whats up with that?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    I agree Nick.
    I made an attempt to end it with my psot on page 6 and it has now progressed on and on and on . . . . . . .

    Not sure why Ryan deleted all his posts from this thread, but I can guess.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by nationwidepi:
    MikeOH - In response to your posts about the sleazy NR salepeople, I don't disagree with you and saw many of them here trying to promote as you stated. What I was simply pointing out is not the saleperson crap but the actual education. Most people will attend and get all pumped up and then never really take action, expecting cashg to just fall from the sky with little to no effort on their part. That is just not REAL life as you and I both know. There is a small percentage, however, that are self motivated and smart enough to apply what they have learned and become a success. I am one, my partner is another, and I know of a few more on this site who have taken or had exposure to the NR education and have utilized and applied what they learned. Could they have gotten a similar education for less? Possibly or even probably, but that is not the point to my post.

    Simple as this really: Those who have the determination and brain power will apply what they have learned in the real world while a VAST majority will not. This could be said about any educational or guru program.

    I also disagree with this 100%. Education is important in anything and everything you do. From things as simple as riding a bike, education in how to ride, safety, etc is important. For those who start riding without education could easily crash and kill themselves, or get hit by a car.

    RE investing is not 3rd grade math. My daughter is in 7th grade algebra, but would not know how to read a HUD 1, analize the financials of an aprtment complex or negotiate contracts with a seller or service provider. That statement is just plain RIDICULOUS!
    While it is not rocket science, a certain amount of education compiled with experience is necessary to become successful.


    The thing about NR Will it's nothing but an MLM sham. If it inspired you and others to get into real estate cool but you can get inspired for a lot less than $16,000 in fact you can get inspired just by reading on this site.

    That's why I can't stand NR they sucker you into suckering others it's a vicious cycle.

    I agree with you though people need to apply what they learn from anything as long as what they learn is viable to their goals.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    I don't disagree that the marketing of it is just another MLM hard sell forced down people's throats and even uses some underhanded marketing tecniques to get the job done. Just to set the record straight though, NR is not my inspiration, first educational series, nor did I pay $16k and attend the college. I was an investor long before it was shown to me and I had the privalege of seeing some of the education and meeting some of the educators. These connections turned out to be great for me and I still use them.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Nick, there is no reason for it to be locked up. In fact, I think that the issues surrounding many of these potential sleazy "education" schemes and scams that exist and how they are presented are very important. If anyone is bored by it or otherwise doesn't want to participate in this thread, they certainly don't have to. Discussing these issues here just might help a new investor hang onto their hard earned money.

    Will and Harrison, my comment about education was certainly not intended to imply that a person doesn't need to acquire knowledge about the business. I certainly agree that this isn't brain surgery, but you do need to understand the basics of the business (I think that's what Jeff and I were both saying).

    What I meant is that no-one cares if you have a NR education or a Carleton Sheets education or a BiggerPockets education or a Harvard education when you run your own business. The ONLY thing that matters is that you get educated in the basics of the business, not WHERE you get that education and certainly not how much you spend on the education. I would be absolutely no better off in my rental business if I had a NR education or for that matter even if I had a Harvard education.

    Mike

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    Harrison,

    My 5th grader can recite and do Fibonacci math in both sequences and ratios. This summer he will learn to apply those ratios. Probably start with flowers then move to the madness of crowds. He learned it at the kitchen table.

    IMHO, the more complex a formula. The more room for error. Some errors are by mistake, some errors are by choice. I see a lot of commercial types that sprinkle "pixie dust" over a spread sheet. Future values, future rent increases. Most "business" is made to be complicated, the victims go quieter that way.

    I promise I can get a 3rd grader to do simple cash flow. I would not charge the 17K to do it.

    one day the world will again understand that knowledge withheld is education wasted on the greedy. If this stuff had value as more than a part of what one should know to see what's coming, it might be "marketable" in some form. As it is, the info just points the way, while the future makes liars of the students with some frightening regularity.

    The "Rules" don't hold in all circumstances, but they give warning signals to those who like such alarms going off in their head. All alarms are NOT real alarms, but the general rules hold through most

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Ain't that the truth!!! In addition, many newbies are scammed with a bunch of silly talk about cap rate, IRR, and other gibberish numbers, when what's really pertinent is whether a property will cash flow TODAY! Could you imagine the people who made all these silly calculations in 2005 and 2006 during the peak of the real estate boom. I can still recall so many people that were claiming that we were in a new world and that prices and rents always go up. Oops! Not to worry, we still get to see these "investors" - EVERY TIME WE GO TO MCDONALDS! They're working register number 1.

    I remember one guy on here that was from Canada. He claimed that housing prices were increasing at a rate of 50% per year in his area and INSISTED that this rate of appreciation would continue. LOL!

    What do they say in the computer industry? Garbage in, garbage out!

    Mike

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    I don't disagree with your statements above Mike but I would add that in the commercial world, the deal can not ALWAYS be judged and determined by current cash flow.
    For instance, lets say you find a 100 unit apartment complex that is bank owned for the last 6 months or so and only 40 of the 100 units have tenants. Obviously it has negative cash flow, but can be purchased with the net result being a large profit from the upside.

  • Real Estate Investor · Santaquin, UT · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    Hi everyone... I am a PROUD member of the Nouveau Riche community. I am not here to spam anyone or try to talk any of you into joining. In fact I don't care if any of you do.

    I just joined this website today. I did a quick search on Nouveau Riche to see how many fellow community member I have here... And unfortunately, all I see is a ton negative remarks from people who don't know what they are talking about.

    My husband & I had wanted to become investors for yrs. We had no idea how. Nouveau Riche was our answer & in my opinion the best company in the world to learn what & how to invest. Over 40 customized courses all taught by practitioners. (just a fact - not recruiting here)

    I get so frustrated seeing the marketing aspect of Nouveau Riche making it sound like it's a scam or a bad thing. The marketing is completely optional - not a requirement! Some people do the marketing only, Some do the Educational side of things only & some do both. I do both - although I really stink at marketing and my focus is on Real Estate! The two parts of Nouveau Riche actually compliment each other very nicely. People can make amazing money on both sides of it...

    I admit it has a MLM feeling what with the hotel meetings & such. But they are working on changing how things are done and there are many improvements on that end of things... Just like anything else, there are good things and bad... But it's much much more good then bad. It's not perfect! But there are no companies or programs out there that are...

    I joined here because I wanted to network with others - I wanted good information! I didn't expect to see a Nouveau Riche Slam Fest going on. I'm not feeling very welcomed here because it seems like all Nouveau Riche members are banned... Maybe I'll get banned too for being part of Nouveau Riche. I hope not though.

    The education is Amazing! The community is an unbelievable resource and I personally consider it to be the best option for real estate investing education. My guess is that the people here slamming NR, have no idea what they are talking about (obviously!), they see Nouveau Riche as too much compitition or they don't have what it takes to make it no matter what info and benefits they have access too. With any Company!

    This is very disheartning to me! I love Nouveau Riche!!!!

    David & I were barely living check to check and it took a lot of gutts to put everything on the line to pay the $19,500 for the complete system. It was money we didn't have & we had to put ourselves in a very bad financial situation to do it. But now (just a yr later) we are the owners of a successful incorporated Real Estate company. We have so much going on right now that I can barely keep up. We are working on several short sales. Another one about to close early next week. We have offers in for a few REOs, We are looking at a few options to build our long term portfolio and a few other exciting things... Just a year ago we had no idea how we could do it! Now our lives will NEVER be the same!

    Just a year & a bit ago, I didn't even know what REO was & I had to ask an agent friend of mine what a short sale was. Now I'm educating him on how they work. He's blown away by what we know now & what we are doing...

    This is not to try and recruit any of you - That is not what I'm about! I just want you all to know that I find it very sad that there is so much negativity toward the company that is completely responsible for my success! There are always different opinions about things, but it seems that anything good about Nouveau Riche gets banned around here... If you want to really know how great it is, seriously look into it... Spend some time with the NR community... And no matter what, - do not call or message me for information because I'm not here promoting it... Only voicing my opinion because I actually know what I'm talking about.

    I hope anyone reading this will see that there is more to this then all the negative comments you read here. This site should be good information & networking. Not trash talking

    Good luck to anyone trying to find the right system for themselves.

    Wishing you all success
    Tanya

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    OK, you've learned a lot, created a corporation, and plunked down $19,500. How much money have you made using the techniques you learned from NR?

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 624 posts · 559 votes
    17y

    John...

    OUCH...

    Kinda like... "the emperor isn't wearing any clothes"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.