NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 0 votes

I found this on another site and was given permission by the author to post it here. I am neutral, have no experience with Nouveau, but found the review extremely interesting.

NOUVEAU RICHE - New Bootcamp/guru - Dolf

There's a new kid on the block in the world of RE Guru's known as Nouveau Riche. This group sells exclusively products from Dolf de Roos (one of Robert Kiyosaki's "Mentors"). They are springing up a lot in Utah and Arizona, as well as several other countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and England primarily). If you haven't heard about them yet, I imagine that you will in the future. I wanted to share my experience with them with anyone that might be contemplating joining their organization.

Disclaimers
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED, SELLING, PROMOTING, OR REPRESENTING NOUVEAU RICHE! (Read on and you'll Believe me!) My experiences were in March of 2003. The company was started in November 2002. Perhaps the company is more mature and efficient now. That said, some of my information might be out of date. Additionally, I'm going to boil this down so that you can read it in one sitting. I could write a lot more. Let me know if you want me to expand on any particular point. I appologize for the length of this post, but hope that it provides someone with information they're looking for.

My Experience
I've enjoyed going to some of the 3 Hour "Free RE" seminars that pop up at hotels where they get you there and wet your appetite and try to sell their seminars (after you go to 3 or 4 you start to laugh at how much alike they all are). It opens my eyes to what other guru's & groups are all about. I meet people and learn a thing or two. With Nouveau Riche I was initially impressed. I was an unemployed RE Investor in the making. I though it could be a good thing to get involved with so I could continue learning about RE, network, teach others about RE, and make some money in the process while I was trying to invest. I went to multiple meetings (3 I think), went to lunch with about 14 of them, went to one of their houses and met with 3 of them, and spent many hours on the phone and after meetings chatting with various members of the organization. Additionally, I knew a couple of them from other connections. I bought the lowest package deal (and returned it), and I seriously considered joining the group, but did not. Here are my reasons.

Overview
There are 3 packages that you can pay for and join in with. The first is about $3500, the second is around $6,000, and the third is $7,000 (these are the prices if you buy them all together. I believe they're more expensive if you buy them separately. These are estimates, but the total cost is $16,000 for all three). Any time you buy any one of these, your "Friend" who sold it to you keeps 70% of the COST of the product (which is negotiable, but they won't tell you that) Note: I've heard that they've rearranged their pricing so the lowest one is cheaper, but they're all still about $16K. If you join and sell NR, your "sponsor" makes a profit on your purchase and your next two. Their motto is "Buy one, Sell two".

-Package #1. $3500. Includes: REMS (Real Estate Management Software)
If you've never used anything else, you'll think it's great. If you've used ANYTHING else, you'll hate it. I found it cumbersome, non-conforming, and counterintuitive (not to mention very expensive compared to other things out there).

REPS (Real Estate Purchase Software
(see REMS). I had about the same feeling. You can get spreadsheets from realtors that do the same thing. Heck, I made my own. It's not rocket science; it's a few equations (only mine does more!). If you know how to do a dozen or so equations in Excel you can do it yourself (BTW, I didn't know anything about excel when I started to make mine).

CD's
You get 12 audio CD's of Dolf giving one of his seminars. After I listened to the CD's I didn't think it was worth paying to go to hear him speak (more on that later).

Books
They tossed in a few de Roos's books that you can get at any bookstore as fillers. $30 worth or so.

Seminar
Included was a 2 day seminar (You have to pay all expenses,travel, air, etc) that was 6 months away. (but only a 3 day return policy)

Package #2. $6,000. Includes:
3 Day Seminar
(see above)

Package #3. $7000. Includes:
5 Day Seminar
(See Above).

With all of the products you receive a weekly newsletter from Dolf (kind of what you would read from Carleton Sheets). There are also world wide teleconferences where everyone could participate, and local groups. The worldwide teleconferences were interesting. Everyone was from Utah, Phoenix, or Australia. (Keep in mind, this was when the company was still fairly small and new). One of two things would happen. We'd end up talking about specific neighborhoods in phoenix (that's great if you're in phoenix, but what if you're in New York,..or Mexico) or the moderator would say "You need to ask your lawyer/accountant that question" because the info was way too generic. Most questions were given about one minute of consideration. I can only imagine how they'll be once they've got people on their from 10 countries and all over the USA. As for the local groups, I already told you who was running them. I asked when they met, for how long, where at, what they discussed, etc. Everything was answered like "we haven't exactly decided..". bottom line, there hadn't been any local RE educational meetings, only recruiting meetings (which they'd had a ton of).

Seminars
In two days they claimed that they would teach you all about real estate so you could run out and do it. Additionally they were going to teach you how to do it many different ways and many different techniques. The most useful thing he teaches is "look at 100 properties". If you do that with ANYTHING you'll learn the market (cars, boats, houses, multi's etc). They must cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e., stupidest person in the audience) and speak in generalities because after all they have everyone from high school dropouts who put the $16K on a credit card to doctors and MBA's. Fluffy stories that tell you to make your money when you buy, buy properties and then change them (rent them, divide them, etc), look at 100 properties, etc. Additionally they talk about how to take advantage of global RE fluctuations and buy properties in China, Argentina, and Mexico. If you can't afford to leave your job, travel to china, hire others to do it for you, you don't know how to invest in your back yard, and you don't know Chinese, then Chinese Real Estate is not for you...At least not yet. There are great opportunities outside of the USA, but you've got more things to learn and over come as you get into international real estate.

High Pressure Sales
During that time, I was negotiating two real estate deals that would have taken up most of the capital I had in closing costs, appraisals, inspections, deferred maintenance, etc. Across the board I was encouraged by the Nouveau Riche reps to spend ALL of my savings on the seminars and products (that I would not gone to for about 7 months) rather than use it to secure 2 profitable real estate projects. Interesting attitude from a company that encourages you to buy real estate. One of those was a 24 unit apartment building which I now own.

Selling To Others
They encouraged me to make a list of 200 people who I could contact and invite them to explore the product. I did this. After I had looked across the list of names of 200 friends and family, there were only 3 of them that I felt like I could sell this to without feeling like a weasel, draining their pocketbooks, encouraging them to take on debt, deceiving them, and hoping that they wouldn't resent me for talking them into something that is $16,000 when most of the same information is available for cheap or free. Bottom line, I didn't believe it was worth that. Additionally I knew that $11,000 of that $16K would be going into my pocket. I know that other people have margins to make, but other products are not that expensive, nor do they have those margins.

Experience
Most of the people in NR had very little RE experience. Those who did, had it before they became involved. They would say that they were going to host the meetings and teach you about RE. Most of the ones that DID have RE had it because they'd made a killing selling NR to others and they bought RE conventionally with that money, often times paying cash for the properties. Most have no idea how to buy properties creatively.

Pyramid
It is NOT a Pyramid scheme by definition. It is Legal. That said, it looks and feels a lot like one. I've heard them tell people "you'll make so much money selling this that you can buy all the RE you want". There's something seriously wrong with this picture. I won't go into the definition of a pyramid scheme, but it does feel like it. Legally, there has to be an inexpensive way to get into any MLM (which they claim they're not, but they are. Just a shallow one). It's usually between $45 and $100. For NR it's $75. When I finally decided that I'd be interested in joining to see how it goes, they wouldn't let me join for $75. I told them they had to by law. They retaliated by saying that they'd let me, but that there would be NO support for me at all until I paid at least the $3500 to "show my commitment". I responded by saying "What motivation do you have to help and support me if you've already been paid" to which they had no good response other than "I wasn't committed". The bottom line is that they're more interested in recruiting (and forcing their recruits to buy product) than actually selling their product.

Learning Curve
Now that you've paid your $16K, you STILL have to figure out how to buy RE. You're not trading money for knowledge. Ron LeGrand will have seminars that are several days long where he teaches short sales, and ONLY short sales. I know many people, who have paid a lot for their education, but they walk out, and they pocket $20K on their first deal. He gives them the forms, the strategies, the equations, the words to use, etc. He trains you very specifically how to do a very narrowly-focused, very profitable transaction. NR does no such thing. NR students will still be found on TCI, libraries, and bookstores trying to figure it out.

Opportunity Costs
By now you know that I don't think their product is worth what they ask. What is the opportunity cost (what you could have done) with the $16,000. Look at it this way. If you were to open a separate checking account, how long would it take you to stash away an extra $16K. Most people (with say a $32K/year income) would be doing really well if they could stash away an extra $5K a year after all expenses, taxes, contributions, retirement, etc. That's 3 years of discretionary income. Or they could quit their job, move in with mom and dad, and do nothing but read library books, RE websites, and talk with people and begin to learn the business.

Sharing
One of the biggest turn-offs was the attitude towards sharing information with other investors. They treat RE techniques like they're responsible for protecting the ancient secrets (such as buy low, sell high, rehab, buy distressed properties, lease options, etc) that are theirs to protect and hand down only to chosen individuals. (Chosen = "paid thousands of dollars). If you ask them a question, they're response is something like "You ought to come to one of our meetings to find out more about our organization." Interestingly enough, they can be found at other meetings asking questions and trying to learn from others. One-way vacuum. It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

Insiders
They claim to provide strategic partnerships. I've personally spoken with two of their "partners". Both receive referrals and commissions of some sort from the NR members/organization when they work with them. Both are extremely knowledgeable about RE. Neither one is impressed with NR. One helps them find properties. They have a waiting list of several hundred buyers (NR students) for their name to get to the top of a list so that they can spring onto an opportunity (often a SFR in an area most investors run from at about 85% LTV). (I also know one of the guys that provides them with properties. ANYONE can go to him and get the same deal any time, and without waiting on a list! In any case, they only have half a dozen properties per month come up. That list is only getting longer.

Other Opinions
I'll put it this way. 100% of the investors that I know, respect, and trust their opinions don't like NR. They'll roll their eyes or laugh hysterically at best or get angry and disgusted at worst. The only people who I've heard say good things about them were those who were involved and those who were new to RE.

In their Defense
I do have a handful of good things that I can say about them. In recent months I've talked to a few people who are NR students say some good things about NR. This could be to save their ego or it could be because they genuinely feel that way. I thought the people involved were fun to be with and associate with. Additionally I think that there are people who NEED to pay $16K to get a fire under their pants and get going in RE. If they start buying one SFR per year at 95% LTV and do so for the rest of their life, but wouldn't have without NR, then I suppose that it was money well spent. For if they hadn't made the financial commitment, nothing would have happened. Additionally, from a business standpoint, I guess I've got to have a bit of respect for someone who can talk people into paying $16K (putting $11K in their pocket) for 10 days of seminars, 12 CD's, a couple of books, and some mediocre software.

Conclusion
Recently our local RE group received a letter from an individual who was about to join NR when she found our group. She indicated that ours was much more informative when it came to learning about real estate (as opposed to recruiting).

As for the boot camps, I am very opposed to bad RE "boot camps, or the ones that you pay $3000 for and half of the time is spent explaining to you why you need to spend $10,000 for the next one. Many are simply motivational hype, but no training. That said, there are some great ones out there that will help you stagger through your first deal, do better on your second, and have it down pat by your third (more or less anyways). I do not feel that this is one of them. Your time and money are extremely valuable. Spend them both wisely. $16K is a new car, a down payment on a house, 4 nice, exotic vacations, consumer debt elimination. Most people think long and hard about spending that kind of money on any one of those things listed. Do the same with the RE packages that you are considering.

Added: January 12th 2004
Reviewer: hibby76
Score:
Hits: 16711

0Reply
408 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 48 posts · 21 votes
16y

NRU is great if you have $16k to invest in education after or before you purchase 10 property deals. The same can be said for every other educational product, ie Russ Whitney, RichDad Education or RDU. I am not knocking any of these offerings. You can make money, as an affiliate. But you damage your reputation in most cases doing so. This site is priceless for the valuable real world education you can get. I developed a simple solution in the beginning. Attend any free training, until you no longer can afford to spend time at a free workshop, web conference, etc. Because if you are doing deals, eventually your time will be worth more than the workshops and NRU can provide. Fear of the unknown, failure, and making mistakes it used to motivate large purchases.

I stopped buying courses, and started buying property.

There is private money available, realtors are a great start. Sign up for the free newsletters, and watch the course costs drop with each email.

The reason RichDad stops marketing to you if you buy. Is because you may see the same free tips, in the paid material, and start wondering why you paid if they eventually give it away.

There is an easy way to qualify the value of any course: is it sold on eBay? Free markets determine the real world price to value ratio in many cases, maybe not all. Of course asking here is a great way also.

Please spend your money and time investing in deals before you buy the education materials.

Libraries, newsletters, and forums are free.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    One follow up to previous post. I attended as auditor a Robert Allen seminar in Las vegas. At lunch, we had 12 attendees at our table and 11 had NEVER bought an investment, but all 11 had purchased other seminars, or package deals. Some had spent as high as $38,000 and now only had one option left. Buy property with no money down!! They'd spent their investment money, or cranked up credit card debt and now couldn't qualify.

  • Monarch Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Cheri Tree? Whoa! Whats up with that guy???

    Yes, I have met Cheri Tree. She is no longer with Nouveau Riche University. She was kicked out (so they say) about the same time I had lost interest on marketing the education. About 4-5 months ago.

    Yes, she did extremely well. She lives in Hawaii now and I believe she is involved with another Network Marketing company called MaxGXL or something.

    My opinion is that the combination of Network Marketing and Real Estate is about the smartest thing you can do to build wealth for yourself. If you don't think so, go pick up a copy of Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Robert Kiyosaki says it right there.

    You just don't have the same job security that you used to have in the early days so you have to take matters in your own hands.

    My .02

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Sean- your comment of network marketing and real estate is the best combination for creating wealth.
    Real estate and ROBBING BANKS would be fairly comparable in my mind.

  • Monarch Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Rich - Nice advice.. I'll tell you what, you go rob banks and I'll take advice from people like this...

    "If I had to do it all over again, rather
    than build an old style type of business,
    I would have started building a
    network marketing business."

    Quote by Robert T. Kiyosaki

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Nouveau Riche MLM at its worst.

  • Monarch Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Nouveau Riche MLM at its worst.


    Trust me Mr. Investor... Although it "seems" like a decent model and thats why they attract a decent amount of customers, their mission is to get you to market. Period. It does not benefit them if you get educated then become a multimillionaire off real estate investing. It only benefits them if you market and bring them more students. I got sucked in for a while until I found out the true vision of the key people.
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Sean- your last post was exactly why I compared them to bank robbers. NR will hammer you and hammer you until you have no money left to buy RE. I've heard too many stories. I like win-win, not mLm's that prey on those lacking education and discipline and sold on getting rich schemes. Not very good odds in any MLM. Better odds just buying ANY piece of real estate and learning from school of hard knocks. It'll cost you less, imo.

  • Monarch Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    Sean- your last post was exactly why I compared them to bank robbers. NR will hammer you and hammer you until you have no money left to buy RE. I've heard too many stories. I like win-win, not mLm's that prey on those lacking education and discipline and sold on getting rich schemes. Not very good odds in any MLM. Better odds just buying ANY piece of real estate and learning from school of hard knocks. It'll cost you less, imo.

    Ahh...

    Understood.. :wink:

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    If you need the network marketing part, you must not be very good at Real Estate.........

    Pick one thing and do it well.

  • Investor · Kern county Riverside County, CA · Member since 2008 · 494 posts · 261 votes
    17y

    I can't believe I just read this ENTIRE thread! What's wrong with me?

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartwell, GA · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    17y

    NR is just another MLM cult.

    I agree with Jeff Tumbarello - do one thing and do it well.

    Let's keep these MLM nuts out of real estate and let them get back to peddling cosmetics and detergent.

  • Real Estate Investor · Wauseon, OH · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    had someone on another website request to be a contact with me and found out they were with this company and after looking at one of their websites I seen that this was nothing but a network marketing company or MLM. I was in a network marketing company for 3 years and and am sorry it took me that long to see that it was a bunch of crock.

    They paint this picture of how you run your own business fron home and your your own boss and so on and how much money you can make. And its bull yeah theres people making money if you get in at the right time but most don't. You still work for a company that can fire you any time they want and change your compensation or pay any time they want. I call that a job.

    So I would stay away from this company and stick with real real estate training from your local REIA or this website or books and so on. Just my opinion.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Ron -
    The day that NRU members come to our site, help educate our members, and choose not to recruit for the company is the day that I will believe that the purpose is to help teach and educate, and not recruit. I don't doubt that there is teaching going on, and I cannot attest to the quality or worthyness of it, but there does seem to be a focus on recruitment, as that is the only aspect of NRU that we've witnessed here on the site.

    I appreciate your interest in defending the organization that you're presumably profiting from, and have likely spent a LOT of money attending the classes of, and I do hope that you earn a true real estate education there. I do also hope that you choose to share that wisdom with the rest of us by participating here on the forums. Jump in and answer some real estate questions when you get the time!

    I've got some other questions . . .

    How long have you been there?
    Are you ready to make your first deal?
    What are your goals and do you have a plan yet?

    Maybe you can introduce yourself in the New Member introductions and tell us more about YOU and your progress/timeline in your investing career? (please make it about you and not your school)

    Thanks, Josh


    Hey Josh!
    Love your site, This is the first night on here and I already like it more than other sites. I am a member of NRU, I had invested prior to NRU but I'm not mad I spent the 16k. I agree with all of you about their marketing techniques and I have actually never or will I ever sign or recruit anyone into NRU. It's just not my thing, I'm more into real estate. For someone reason it's easier to convince someone to sign over the deed to their home than it is to convince someone to pay 16k...... Anyways I'm not here to praise or defend NRU, it is what it is, I've enjoyed it and some of the friendships I've created from it. I just wanted to let you know publicly that you'll never see a recruitment on this site or any other site from me and I truly look foward to helping any of the current forum members. Also I welcome any questions you might have directed toward me, I don't mind I enjoy open discussions as long as they're productive and informative for everyone :mrgreen:

    Invest successfully,

  • Real Estate Investor · Kahuku, HI · Member since 2009 · 148 posts · 25 votes
    17y

    We have a few "NR" people in my market. To me it seems they are more focused on Network Marketing than they are about doing Real Estate deals.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Island House Buyer:
    We have a few "NR" people in my market. To me it seems they are more focused on Network Marketing than they are about doing Real Estate deals.

    Nah they are more focused on drinking Kool-aid :mrgreen:

  • Plumbing Contractor · rutherfordton, NC · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    they found me on here (bp). i HATE multi level marketing!!! there are 2 things NR is good at...false advertising, and filling up your email with JUNK!!! im so glad they didnt get money out of this rookie. i love this site and you higher ups do a great job of keeping us little people informed...thanks!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Chevis Duncan:
    they found me on here (bp). i HATE multi level marketing!!! there are 2 things NR is good at...false advertising, and filling up your email with JUNK!!! im so glad they didnt get money out of this rookie. i love this site and you higher ups do a great job of keeping us little people informed...thanks!

    Chevis - What do you mean "they found me here (bp)"?

    Did someone from NRU try to recruit you here on site? I haven't seen anything on the forums, so I'm assuming it happened by PM or email. Please let me know who it is so we can follow up with appropriate action.

    We will not put up with anyone harassing members.

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    I've read the article that started this thread, and I say its pretty much spot on. Now, you all ready for this? I confess. I am a Nouveau Riche member.... dun-dun-DUN!! So, any die-hard Nouveau Riche member that says "but you haven't attended, you don't really know." Guess what? I have, and I do know.
    Anyways, I didn't pay $16,000... I paid closer to $24,000 after all was said and done to actually attend some of the classes down in Arizona. I tried all the tricks they told me to make money to pay for the student loan I got to pay for the "college". None of the tricks worked. You wanna know what their response was? Not in these exact words, but effectively, "You need to work harder (at the marketing)". @#$%ers! My "mentor" eventually told me that he was not my real-estate coach, but my marketing coach. W-T-F-!-!-!-! Can any of you imagine the things in real-estate that could have been done if I would have spent $16,000 on real marketing? My "mentor" will still call my wife from time to time to try and sucker her into doing his recruiting for him. He won't call me since I told two of his potential recruits the whole truth about Nouveau Riche and they never signed up because of what I said. I won't be renewing this year even though its only $75 yearly membership fee. Of course, you'll never hear about the people that were members, but left. Nouveau Riche will never publish those stats. It'll be interesting to see if they try to re-recruit us. I did make sure to download all the class audios. Those do have value, although, not worth $16,000, 1+ year of time spent, plus long-term damage to my marriage. The typical marketing minion at a Nouveau Riche hang-out will talk all day long about selling more Nouveau Riche, but they have little to say about investing in real-estate, much less any of their own. Don't expect to find good real-estate deals from them - they all want to sell at retail and above. Don't expect to find any buyers for your real-estate - they all want to buy at less than 50%. There are a handful of people at Nouveau Riche convections that actually do (or have) invested in real-estate. I never could really understand why they were hanging out at Nouveau Riche, though, instead of out working more real-estate.

    Watch out. The typical members will never ever stop not ever incessantly never ending non-stop without a pause bug you over and over and over again and never stop bugging you about how your "real-estate business" is going. What they really mean is how much Nouveau Riche did you sell that week or month. I've actually had typical members warn me to not invest in real-estate because it is too dangerous. They advised me to just market more Nouveau Riche. That's the safe "strategy". And this from the company that has the sales-pitch slogan of "We create real-estate investors".
    However, if you're lazy, and just want someone to spoon feed you everything, then Nouveau Riche is perfect. And its expensive. I do have to say that I am quite impressed with the instructors of Nouveau Riche, though. They have taught me many things that I know I would have probably not gone out and gotten myself. Again, it was expensive. Now that I've looked around a lot more, I've come to discover that I probably learned 40% - 50% of what I know about real-estate investing from the Nouveau Riche instructors (but not from the typical Nouveau Riche member), 35% - 40% from this real-estate investing websites, and everything else from everywhere else.
    Looking back on everything, I'm not sure if I would have done it differently. I do wish that I wouldn't have racked up so much debt to "get on board", "move forward", or all the other sales-pitch catch phrases Nouveau Riche will use to sucker you into forking over your money to fill the wallet of your sales and marketing mentor. Now that I've been on the inside, I've come to realize that the majority of everything Nouveau Riche is a lot of sales and marketing static and little meat and potatoes real-estate investing. I guess my overall feelings for it are disappointment; in both Nouveau Riche and myself. Disappointment in that it wasn't what I was led to believe that it was going to be. Disappointment in myself that I jumped when I really wasn't prepared to make it what I wanted it to be.
    One thing that I'm really torn about is that I have been focusing on short-sales. I was finally able to complete my first one after two failed attempts and no, I'm not fluffing numbers when I say this, I made 100% net return on every dollar that I invested into it. Where did I learn how to do that short-sale? From what I learned from the instructors of Nouveau Riche. I can't deny that. I seriously question whether I would have been able to complete that short-sale without what I learned from their short-sale audio class. But it cost my $16,000 and about 1 year part-time learning and studying. $16,000, though? At this point in my real-estate investing career, that's expensive.
    So, anyways, Nouveau Riche. If you want to be spoon fed, fork over the $16,000. And the additional thousands of dollars for travel and lodging at the college. Oh, and the additional hundreds of dollars for the repeat presentations they have from time to time. Or, if you are truly ready and prepared to succeed at real-estate investing, you are already that way whether or not you are a Nouveau Riche member or not. Thus, just get out there and start investing in real-estate with those tens of thousands of dollars. And become a regular here and at your local real-estate investing club. Or start one of your own. You'll learn about real-estate investing just fine and probably have several thousands dollars left over for more investing in actual real-estate as opposed to hanging out at what is technically an encyclopedia sales and marketing club.

    Now, this could probably be the biggest killer of Nouveau Riche. To actually get everything Nouveau Riche offers, you have to pay the $16,000 (not to mention all the side costs for travel, meetings, conventions, yearly membership renewal, etc.). However, everything that you do get with that initial $16,000, it all expires after 1 year. Granted, you can repeat any classes taken within that first year, but you only have 1 more year to repeat attend. At the end of those 2 years, you get nothing. To get anything else from Nouveau Riche, you have to buy another "tuition" package. How fun!
    So, if someone does decide to buy the $16,000 training, be sure to hang onto everything you get with it, and make backup copies, because it will cost $16,000 to replace.

    Like I said, I'm a member.... well, not technically. I haven't renewed for this year. Don't plan on doing it, either. My membership was supposed to expire on January 31, but, they extended it to February 28th. Then, they extended it again to March 15th. Haha! How cute. I have to wonder how long they will keep extending the renewal dates.

    Now, don't nobody (nice double-negative, huh?) worry about me trying to spam you about Nouveau Riche. I decided long ago that I'm a real-estate investor, not a marketing recruiter. That's where I still stand today, and I'm excited as all get-out everytime I get involved with a new real-estate project. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    This is a very old article and almost completely wrong.
    Get the updated facts and don't rely on so many uninformed opinions.
    It seems like so many people are eager to bash NR, yet very few know anything about them. The ones that do don't bash NR, at least not with the fervor of some 'less informed'. It is what it is.
    Also, I've seen many other educational tracts that are almost as expensive and some that are more expensive.
    Is it just the marketing that irritates these people?
    I saw one suggestion to 'just go out and invest those tens of thousands of dollars..." WHAT??? Without education?!? Well, a fool and his money are soon parted.
    The other suggestion would be to keep doing what you're doing, join a REIA and learn the ropes. When you are ready, then invest. That's ok, of course; if you care to wait that long.
    Obviously, I'm a (past) NR student. I value the education that I received there. I see many in my two REIA groups that don't know nearly as much as I do, but what does that matter, as long as my education serves me. It does.
    Lastly, I don't market for NR. That's not my bag. I happen to think it's the 'uglier' side of the business, yet it's a legitamate way to get students into the school.
    Bottom line - I think the education and materials was worth it. Your mileage may vary.
    I own multi-family and it's cash flowing fine.
    Happy investing! :)

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    We were cleaning out a foreclosure today. They Left their NR Cd's. LOL

  • Real Estate Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    We were cleaning out a foreclosure today. They Left their NR Cd's. LOL


    LOL! Good one!
    :lol:
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Pete Cantele:


    I saw one suggestion to 'just go out and invest those tens of thousands of dollars..." WHAT??? Without education?!?

    You are spinning, all you need is a good
    CPA
    Realtor
    Lawyer

    Not a bunch of slick talking con artists

    95 percent of the people who claim to be guru's are real good salesman, bad business people.

  • Real Estate Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    Originally posted by Pete Cantele:


    I saw one suggestion to 'just go out and invest those tens of thousands of dollars..." WHAT??? Without education?!?


    You are spinning, all you need is a good
    CPA
    Realtor
    Lawyer

    Not a bunch of slick talking con artists

    95 percent of the people who claim to be guru's are real good salesman, bad business people.



    Jeff,
    I'm sure you're a great guy. I'm not going to sink into a pissing contest with you; it's not worth it for either of us.
    Did you get to be a CPA, lawyer, or Realtor without education? I doubt it. Why would you want to be an uneducated investor?
    I was only quoting what I read in the original post. You are making assumptions about 'slick talking con artists'
    Don't be so bitter.
    Happy investing! :)
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    You do not have to be a CPA, Laywer or Realtor. You can hire them.

    I make no assumptions about the "slick talking con artists" I have plenty of confirmations

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    This bashing center has now gone on for way to long and for 6 pages now.
    Point made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Confirmations Jeff? Not sure what that means, but I will assume third party opinion/info. I too will not get into a pissing contest with you for the same reasons. I do howvere know first hand that they are not all con artists. In fact, one of them is one of our attorneys and I respect his knowledge and advice. I too have cooincidnetally met several people who have attened NR.

    Here is my take on not just NR, but any guru course or bootcamp:
    Some are good, some are bad, some are a complete waste and scam of your cash. The ones that do provide good education, it is them up to each individual to follow through. Most attendees of good educational programs still fail because they have no drive, no determination, and think that deals and cash will magically fall into their laps. Let me tell you, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN that way.
    I am sure you agree with that Jeff. :lol:
    Happy Investing all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.