Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Real Estate Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Has anyone taken the plunge and attended any of the "Advanced Training" courses put on by the Rich Dad Education company? Last fall I attended a three day seminar put on by Rich Dad Education, but because of the steep price (and some mental red flags that went up during the seminar), I declined to sign up for any of them.

The first warnings started sounding as things got underway the first day when we were forbidden to network with anyone during or outside of the classroom, we weren't to challenge any of the ideas of the instructor, nor were we to conduct "research" on our own by using the Internet. They also wanted to protect their "proprietary" information, so they wouldn't allow you to record any of the sessions. Note taking, it seems, doesn't seem to threaten that.

I later came to find out that the Rich Dad Education seminars were essentially repackaged Russ Whitney products, and many people feel scammed by the whole process.

I understand that the basic training seminar is mostly motivational in nature and is designed essentially to upsell the attendee into purchasing one of the "advanced training" seminars that deal with a specific area of investing, anywhere from wholesaling to large development deals.

The basic training courses are $495, and if you can withstand/ignore the high pressure sales tactics, I felt that I did actually receive my money's worth in terms of knowledge and useful information. But the advanced courses range anywhere from $7,000 all the way up to $45,000, if memory serves. That seems like a ton of money, but if it's something that returns your "investment" back to you in increased profits from doing better RE deals, then I would assume most would feel the high cost would be worth it.

My question is, has anyone attended any of these courses, and if so, do yo feel that you got your money's worth by attending? I see precious little information anywhere on the Web regarding reviews of these more expensive training courses.

Perhaps attendees sign contracts forbidding them from talking about their experiences? I figured this would be the place to find out.

Todd

2Reply
554 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
18y

Understand that the Rich Dad Seminars is a marketing company. They give you a “free†seminar so that you’ll buy the $495 class, the $495 course is used to sell you $7,000 advanced course. The advanced course is designed to sell you the mentoring program. It’s all about upselling, they want you to believe that you will find out the success “secret†at the next class. The reality is that you learn by doing, did you learn how to ride a bike by going to a seminar? No, you learned by falling down and skinning your knees, then you got up and did it again. Education classes are your training wheels but until you actually get out there and do it you will not learn how to really be successful.

:cool:

See this reply in the discussion

202 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    The core "lesson" of the RDPD is quite evident in the first book. This was read, for free, at a New York City Barnes & Nobles.

    The information posits that one can become "free" only if they do a few things;

    (1) conquer fear
    (2) unhinge from the "wage" mentality
    (3) delegate, delegate, delegate

    (3) cross-references item (1) b/c any successful person builds an ongoing "cycle." . Ex. Robert's cycle; selling a compelling story of going "bust," living in a car and triumphing over adversity and attending "lessons."

    We discuss that often as "building a team. Robert posits it more bluntly as "don't waste time doing the work that doesn't match your (a) skill set and (b) position as "Captain."

    Oftentimes, folks speak about running an investment business but they are posting signs, developing all their own marketing, etc, etc.

    Get down off the ladder, figure out how much it's costing and pay someone less than your time (usually beyond a living wage).

    Those who are "wage earners," regardless of whether they learn strategies and etc, are incompatible with his message.

  • Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Hi... 19 year old student of Rich Dad/Tigrent Learning here again...

    So, I completed the Lease Option Advanced Training back in May, and recently took the refresher because of all the information they give you...

    And I would have to say this has changed my life. I now have my own real estate investment business, and I've been out doing MANY "No money down" Lease Option deals...

    They give you everything you need.
    Thank God for Robert Kiyosaki and all his followers.
    They changed my life.

    NOTE: You must be driven and you must never be skeptical. You must have 100% faith, and you will succeed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2010 · 1 post · 0 votes
    15y

    I am a 27 year old Real Estate investor out of Honolulu, HI. I've been in the business since I was 20 years old. I started after having taken an A.D Kessler course on Lease Options.

    I had many doors slammed in my face before I got my first deal under contract but the experience taught me a lot about perseverance and so forth.

    I've had lots of friends who took the RDPD courses, some made money, others never took action. I would say that ALL, and I do mean ALL of the successful investors I know have gotten their education from one guru or another. I agree that those whom would say not to do it are typically going nowhere, fast! As for me, I've done some RDPD courses, A.D. Kessler, Russ Whitney and others...

  • Real Estate Investor · Burke, VA · Member since 2008 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    Great posting forum on this topic and I think it goes for any seminar training company not just Rich Dad training.

    I believe in helping or working with and investor and making monies in the deal or transaction and yes training is important thing to budget but putting one in financial straits on training is not IMHO the way to go.

    If investors or training is confident yes pay a reasonable fee and the monies should be make to pay back the training in the actual deal you do and make monies and maybe do a split 50/50 so really you earn when you learn literally..

    I have made my share of mistakes and agree knowledge is needed and as one poster stated networking is the key in this business..

    I use a specific system of investing and if I work with somebody who can help me I train them as part of the deal so they are knowledgeable as well.

    Good investing to all..

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Keala Kanae:
    I am a 27 year old Real Estate investor out of Honolulu, HI. I've been in the business since I was 20 years old. I started after having taken an A.D Kessler course on Lease Options.

    I had many doors slammed in my face before I got my first deal under contract but the experience taught me a lot about perseverance and so forth.

    I've had lots of friends who took the RDPD courses, some made money, others never took action. I would say that ALL, and I do mean ALL of the successful investors I know have gotten their education from one guru or another. I agree that those whom would say not to do it are typically going nowhere, fast! As for me, I've done some RDPD courses, A.D. Kessler, Russ Whitney and others...



    I beg to diiffer. All of the seminar junkies I know have lost their tail. 99 percent of the "info crowd" do not really do deals. They peddle dreams
  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Today I am taking a Stocks & Options course through my favorite author Robert Kiyosaki and hsi Rich Dad Education series. I attended the "free" seminar where I got a USB storage drive gift for attending. After listening to pitch I did sign up for the 3 day training at a cost of $199. I know from attending this type of program in the past, a bigger program was in the wings waiting to be pitched. I arrived at the seminar and the instructor from the first program was not there. Hmmm. OK. Martijn Guliker was the presenter for this program. OK. He had 4 associates helping him out and maybe better if they were not there. One guy (Eric) looks like a head shaven skin head with a beer belly. He could have been a tow truck driver that knew how to speak in public. Just throw him into a wrinkled suit and voila! Instant staff member. The other guy (Beau) had terrible dark circles under his eyes and I just had to look him up and down to get more clues. Hmmm, beat up scuffed shoes. Not my idea of a success. Then there's Dennis, an older guy who tells you about all the money he has lost over his 30 years investing. Hmmm. And Kathy, the only woman, spoke well and then was gone. She helped with registration. All these clues just made me decide to GOOGLE Martijn Guliker and get some more info. They are already pitching the $5,000 per class fee for advanced training and you will need 4-6 classes. I'm going back to get my $199 of training but I don't feel like I am going to learn much. Maybe I'm too critical too early on as this is the end of Day 1. The class was supposed to be 9am to 7 pm and we got out at 5:30 pm and that's after a 1 1/2 hr lunch so 3 hrs no instruction.

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Today was Part 2 of the 3 day training in stocks and options. If Day 1 seemed boring, like I wasn't going to learn anything, today made up for it to a point. I was following along nicely and then suddenly the information gradient turned exponential and I felt like a deer in the headlights, especially when he talked about "Call Options on Steroids". Martijn seemed to suddenly speed up the info and once I was lost my head felt a little woozy trying to keep up and I know that most of the 100 people in the class probably felt the same way. He kept referring back to the "advanced" seminar classes, going through the booklet saying, "You'll need this class and this one too" each for a tuition of $5,000.00. It seems a bit much and at the end he wanted a show of hands to see how many people were going to continue. Then he had them get up so the rest of us could applaud them. Hmmm. Why not just take the 5 grand and go apply what they taught us in the market since the only way to really learn is by doing. Or better yet, go play on a virtual stock market game and see how you do. Even though I may sound cynical, the jury is still out because I still have a 3rd day of class to attend tomorrow.

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Okay, so today was Day 3 of the training on Stocks and Options. I have to say that I think the instructor, Martijn Guliker, definitely knows his stuff and it would be a great opportunity to study under him. I'm just not sure that he would be my mentor under this program. The 3rd day covered more material and overall it was just a preview of all the more advanced training they offer. A good introduction to what else awaits with just enough information to make you dangerous which is why they say "Don't go out and start trading this stuff for real, do some virtual trading first" which was my plan all along. In fact they had you sign a waiver in the very beginning of the class to that effect. I still feel that $5,000 a course is too expensive. If you were working towards a "degree" of some kind, it would be a different story, so I didn't sign up.
    I'd like to see some video testimonials of people who did sign up for the class, good or bad, which they never offered.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hamilton, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I went to the first day of the 199.00 3 day Seminar. We were told that the prices in Anaheim were rising and at 440.00, Going to the site where he pulled the information.says that Anaheim is at 323.00 and down 7.5% from the same period of last year. Lies!!!!! Even Zillow has this information.

    Watch these videos from CBC in Canada,
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MadasHellatKiyo#p/a/u/2/HE6nT0oyPt8

  • Real Estate Investor · Hamilton, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    sorry, meant to say the median home price was 323,000, and the GURU said they were 440,000. SCAM, I'm considering writing up 50 sheets with all the pertinent information, and taking the drive to the hotel and passing them out after today s class, saving people from signing up to this scam tomorrow.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    Do u man to tell us that a guru gave out invalid information? I am shocked! :-/

  • Member since 2011 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    you can usually pick up a few good tips from most of these seminars, but they are not the easy blue prints to getting rich they would like you to believe.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Robert Ebeling:
    Today I am taking a Stocks & Options course through my favorite author Robert Kiyosaki and hsi Rich Dad Education series. I attended the "free" seminar where I got a USB storage drive gift for attending. After listening to pitch I did sign up for the 3 day training at a cost of $199.

    To learn Stocks and Options, I'd go to Morningstar.com Better info and they have a great "Options Training" type course.

  • Investor · Beaufort SC · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 85 votes
    15y

    OK, first post ever on this forum, and I'm posting in this thread for a reason.

    My wife heard about the RDPD circus coming to town for "free training", and we decided to go expecting to hear a slick sales pitch, which is what we got. Since it was only $200, my wife and I agreed to give it shot and figured that in the grand scheme of things, $200 isn't that big of a loss. We're brand new to REI; literally don't know a thing about it, but want to get involved.

    So before attending the seminar, I happen to do a Google search for the training to see what the word on the street is. That's how I found BiggerPockets, and the threads on RDPD. I wasn't surprised at what I read: at best, the courses are long on concepts, hype, and upselling to the "advanced training". It was deflating to read that, but I wasn't surprised.

    So yesterday was the first day of training, and I sat through the whole day. It was exactly what I thought it would be: long on concepts, hype, and upselling, but little to nothing on the "how". Lee Escobar was the instructor, and does the slick salesman routine pretty well. When I got home, I explained to my wife that I figured there would be little point to going to the rest of the seminar, so I've skipped out on the rest of the training. I'm sure as I write this that the class is getting pressured pretty heavily to sign up for the advanced training. My guess is that Lee probably makes one or two thousand for every person that signs up. I'm sure that for a rare couple of people, RDPD works out very well for them, but they are the exception, not the norm. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the RDPD staff picks out those few candidates that look promising and spend what ever time necessary to ensure they are successful, just so the company can claim that their students are successful.

    So, there you go. My wife and I are still very motivated to get into REI: we have several different people we know in the Phoenix area that we are going to approach over the next few weeks to ask for some coaching/mentoring to get our start.

    And I'll continue to view this site as a part of my education.

  • Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
    15y

    I went to the RDPD 3 day seminar a while back and must say I got very interested. One of the flags the 1st day was when the instructor asked each of us to call our credit card companies and ask for the highest credit limit they would give us. Duh?
    The next 2 days was a blitzkrieg of information designed to "blow you mind" with visions of massive wealth. Well it worked on me and I signed up for $10,000 of advanced classes.
    When I got home I reviewed what I had signed up for and realized it was grossly overpriced so I exercised the 3 day cancellation clause.
    I was later successfully hustled by their coaching salesman and signed up for a 1 year coaching program for $6,500. It was nearly worthless in that the coach was very weak and only wanted to be my psychologist.
    Anyway the only good thing is that this experience made me stay in REI and I am now making some money in various areas. The best way to learn is the take advantage of the incredible amount of FREE information like you find here on BP, forums, YouTube, etc. and then get out there and take action.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    I went to the free day, figured Mobile Home Park Ownership was the way to go.
    My roommate at the Mobile Home Park Seminar went to the paid Rich Dad seminar and told me he learned he needed to go the MHP seminar.
    I guess what mattered to each of us is we got in a certain direction not how much we spent getting there.

  • Wholesaler · garden grove · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    Todd, If you want to learn, you can seek out the people in your back yard doing deals. Those guys/gals don't have anything to sell and they probably been doing it for years be4 Robert K is even doing deals.

    Taking advance classes is only telling your more information that you don't need at this point, and basically selling your information. You can dig those information out on the internet, local investors clubs, cashflowdepot.com,...etc.

    You can also learn from guys like John Schaub, Jack miller, Peter Fortunato, or Jimmy Napier. Those guys have been around for years, and they're not going to be around much longer. They teach you for a meager price of $300 for 3 days that worth basically the cost of renting the room.
    Did I mention that Jack Miller and John Schuab taught Robert Allen his real Estate stuffs, where Robert packaged and resell the seminar for somewhere in the $35k to the masses?

    Good Luck!!!!

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 97 votes
    15y

    Partner with the best in your area by finding great deals and splitting with them. They put up the money, you do the leg work, volunteer for everything...even to pick up their dry cleaning. You can't fly like an Eagle if your pecking with the chickens! On the job traing. Take an inexpensive course on finding deals...People who can find deals shouldn't have much problem finding mentors of the highest caliber.

    --Mitch Stephen--

  • Member since 2011 · 1 post · 1 vote
    15y

    I went for Rich Dad workshop in Montreal just yesterday and sure, the speech person for 2 and half hours was selling the course for real estate investing. I am a real estate broker and want to learn what I don’t know, though I work in real estate for 10 years and have investment properties but any way I hoped I can learn something new may be.
    What I learned right from the beginning the person who gave a speech knows little or nothing about real estate in Quebec and real estate law. That was upsetting. You want to pay 495 $ for the courses where they will teach you that the banks repossess properties here in Quebec and by law do not have a right to rent them? Not true. No such a law in Quebec. Banks just don’t have resources to manage rental properties; they make money by selling mortgages. I sold 2plexes, 3plexes, 4plexes -repossessions and they were fully or partly rented and the banks were collecting rents according the law. Sure if the bank repossesses a single family house they wouldn’t rent it because they don’t have management for that. They do not need to rent the properties; they need to make money from mortgages.
    The speech person then gave little hints how to find opportunities to get good deals. Just a few, because more you can get only when you pay 496 and attend courses.
    But those few are also very unsupported and misleading. Buy a wholesale property to renovate and flip, and sign a deed of sale not on your name but on the construction company name and then after the renovation you sell and make tax free profit. What? No company will agree to do that and no law exists here in Quebec to do that! And what is it wholesale property? We don’t have such properties in Quebec!
    You want to learn how to buy pre foreclosures here in Quebec? Pay 495$ and learn! There are no such sales here! Only bank repossessed already!
    FSBO- for sale by owners! They offer to use this opportunity to get a good deal! We have statistics in Greater Montreal Real estate board- 85 % properties of FSBO end up selling with real estate brokers. Initially they overpriced or the same market priced as listed with brokers. Cases what I know and my colleagues see every day in our practice when people buy directly from owners, of course exist. Most of the time people overpay or pay exact market price and owners just make more money. How can you know prices for similar properties in those locations, the same size and conditions what were sold recently? The sold prices are confidential for public. We are- real estate professionals have access to that info. The guy also mentioned that we don’t have in Quebec on internet a full system where to find properties. We have! In Quebec we are almost 18,000 brokers use a system tool Matrix where all the listed for sale properties published with all the info. And we pay to use this tool. We use other sites only for real estate licensed professionals to order all the info for deeds of sale for any property. This info is confidential for public too. You have to be a licensed real estate broker to access the info!
    The speech guy then gave another hint- find a bargain deal, analyze. You save 6% commissions. How? Pay 495$ to find out! How do you know then it is a bargain? How can you know prices- comparables what were selling in the area if you don’t recommend to work with real estate brokers? May be at seminar they will offer crystal ball? Very risky investment then!
    Other things what I learned from the guy who also said he is a real estate investor. Buy a property with hard money loan, simply- loan sharks. What and amazing advice! You are not qualified by bank to get mortgage with2,25% interest rate because you don’t have enough income and your credit cards are maxed out and from loan shark you get a mortgage with 12% interest. How on Earth you can pay it back with 12% interest if you cannot pay 2,25%? Ooo, you can make a lot of money just for flipping the house? Again back to finding a bargain.
    The speech guy’s other brilliant idea – you want to buy a house but you don’t have money for down payment– let the owner to pay you together with a bank- we say the name for that transaction here in Quebec- balance of sale. To get a balance of sale from the seller to the buyer if they don’t know each other or the seller can sell to another buyer without dragging himself into this is very little to impossible. Forget about single family houses at all! The sellers will wait for the buyer with money then! Yes, we do some deals with balance of sale- most of the time rental properties with prices over a million when you are required to put 20% down payment minimum by law. Then for sure, you have 200,000 and 50,000 is just missing, we can negotiate for a year or 2 to repay. The guy gave an example as himself. He bought a property with 12% interest and 5 years of balance of sale, and 3 years later got a call from the lender asking to repay his money. The speech guy said – now he was in control and hung up the phone. He wants to use this money. Common! 12% interest? Be serious? You want to repay as fast as possible the balance of sale just do not pay such an interest!
    The speech guy gave a wrong terminology what I found very wrong, people will mix up then what is what- buy commercial properties, for example. It took for me a while to understand that he is talking about residential rental properties after he showed a picture of his 6plex. Commercial property is a property with commercial purposes only- restaurants, stores, salons, etc. Can be mixed with residential though. First floor of multiplex is a store and other floors are residential rentals. Again he didn’t know that for only commercial property you have to put down minimum 40%. Why? Because the banks know that this is very risky investment. What if the restaurant has a 10 years lease with the land lord and then goes bankrupt for example? You lose 3-5 thousand dollars each month. If you are not experienced in real estate just to do that I found this advice very wrong.
    Buy a multiplex and convert in condos! Those guys should check first with city of Montreal. We have here in Montreal ban for the last 5 years for conversion multiplexes to condos! Just a very few areas are still allowed and you have to check with the city very thoroughly.
    Pay 495$ and find out that if you don’t have time to manage you rental property by yourself you can hire a landlord. No, you are the landlord and you can hire a janitor, but by law here in Québec if you have more than 8 apartments you need to have a janitor. But if you hire a janitor for your 5-6 plex then what profit will you have in your pocket?
    So, in conclusion, that was a waste of my time and people from Rich Dad workshop who came to Montreal to teach real estate investment do not know anything about our market, our law, our taxation, our mortgages- they are different for American mortgages, -our refinancing of the houses and use a wrong terminology for Quebec housing and real estate.

  • Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
    15y

    Mitch,

    Thanks for the detailed summary of your exposure the RDPD presentation. It confirms what many of us already know. RDPD real estate training is mostly a "money making" operation with little true substance.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Robert Burns:
    Mitch,

    Thanks for the detailed summary of your exposure the RDPD presentation. It confirms what many of us already know. RDPD real estate training is mostly a "money making" operation with little true substance.

    QFT Robert!!!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    I took them in 2007 and they were hands down the best info given in a classroom setting to date (next to Dave Lindhal's multi-family). I didn't follow through and that's on me, but they were so thorough that I have learned very little new in the classes I took outside.

  • Wholesaler · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Im sure there is a newer post somewhere here. This is my first post on BP and Im a beginner to REI. I got interested in REI through the RD,PD series books and I still its a great book. Well I paid for the 3 day seminar, i don't remember if it was $199.00 or 299.99 but i do remember paying $150.00 for the stock options class too (it was a special deal only for the day of course). Today is day two of the seminar and I did not go however my wife did. After the first day I decide to do some research on BP and started reading about these 3 day seminars and their up selling techniques. I don't feel the 15K-44K for advanced training is worth it. No one will put money in your hands and their is no secret method of being successful at REI. I dont think any beginner should pay that amount of money for any "education". If you have the money to do it go ahead, why not, I'm sure their is some insight in it but again I really feel like between google and Biggerpockets you will have everything you need but the courage,motivation, and the characteristics to be successful at REI

  • Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I took RDPD advanced training by splitting it with someone who I met at our table at the 3 day seminar.  We were strangers at the time, but she is now my partner and have bought a multi family together, and going to buy more in the future.

    Split the trainings so it wasnt THAT expensive,  It is a lot but I thought the info they give is very good. Got our mentor for a weekend, he introduced me to my realtor who gave me the idea of what i could do - buy a multi with an fha loan, rent out the units and live in one for cashflow.  I dove in and never looked back. I did a wholesale deal, and bought another multi family with a different partner and have lots of interest from renters to live there.

    Its all about how you personally go out and apply the knowledge and find deals.  I talked to people that have taken the classes and havent done a single thing and dont understand how or why.  I think its all about what you make of the education.

  • El Cajon, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    10/3/2016 I just signed up for rich dad poor dad coaching, yes it did cost a lot almost 6K, but it's got to be better then the DIY. with all that I have read on bigger pockets and many more online courses I have completed, I have education overload and don't know where to start. even bigger pockets advises to get a mentor/coach. which is mostly what I'm paying for. I know that sometimes these things can be a mistake, lets hope not for my sake. lol, but I would enjoy keeping bigger pockets informed about it. "this is not the advanced seminar" but a coaching course that can be done in 6 mo. but I signed up for the 1 year course.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.