Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Rich Dad "Advanced Training" seminars?

Real Estate Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Has anyone taken the plunge and attended any of the "Advanced Training" courses put on by the Rich Dad Education company? Last fall I attended a three day seminar put on by Rich Dad Education, but because of the steep price (and some mental red flags that went up during the seminar), I declined to sign up for any of them.

The first warnings started sounding as things got underway the first day when we were forbidden to network with anyone during or outside of the classroom, we weren't to challenge any of the ideas of the instructor, nor were we to conduct "research" on our own by using the Internet. They also wanted to protect their "proprietary" information, so they wouldn't allow you to record any of the sessions. Note taking, it seems, doesn't seem to threaten that.

I later came to find out that the Rich Dad Education seminars were essentially repackaged Russ Whitney products, and many people feel scammed by the whole process.

I understand that the basic training seminar is mostly motivational in nature and is designed essentially to upsell the attendee into purchasing one of the "advanced training" seminars that deal with a specific area of investing, anywhere from wholesaling to large development deals.

The basic training courses are $495, and if you can withstand/ignore the high pressure sales tactics, I felt that I did actually receive my money's worth in terms of knowledge and useful information. But the advanced courses range anywhere from $7,000 all the way up to $45,000, if memory serves. That seems like a ton of money, but if it's something that returns your "investment" back to you in increased profits from doing better RE deals, then I would assume most would feel the high cost would be worth it.

My question is, has anyone attended any of these courses, and if so, do yo feel that you got your money's worth by attending? I see precious little information anywhere on the Web regarding reviews of these more expensive training courses.

Perhaps attendees sign contracts forbidding them from talking about their experiences? I figured this would be the place to find out.

Todd

2Reply
567 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
18y

Understand that the Rich Dad Seminars is a marketing company. They give you a “free†seminar so that you’ll buy the $495 class, the $495 course is used to sell you $7,000 advanced course. The advanced course is designed to sell you the mentoring program. It’s all about upselling, they want you to believe that you will find out the success “secret†at the next class. The reality is that you learn by doing, did you learn how to ride a bike by going to a seminar? No, you learned by falling down and skinning your knees, then you got up and did it again. Education classes are your training wheels but until you actually get out there and do it you will not learn how to really be successful.

:cool:

See this reply in the discussion

202 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · LA Area, CA · Member since 2009 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Ok, so Looks like Mike is testing me a little. That's ok. I'll play along.

    Here is to Mike and Will. I've posted 4 of my properties numbers and answered some of your questions. Lets see some numbers on 4 of your properties and answer the same questions I have answered so far. Once I get the reply from both of you, I'll answer the question on capital expenses as long as the both of you agree to do the same. Sound fair?

    Will you seem like a stand up guy. Not sure about Mike yet. If Mike doesn't play along, we can always talk offline with our answers.

    BTW Mike. Read my post on numbers again. I didn't say $400 per unit per month. That is on a triplex. Are you telling me you can't find a triplex that cash flows $400 a month?

  • Real Estate Investor · LA Area, CA · Member since 2009 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    Nice try! And now we see exactly what you didn't learn in the expensive guru courses you have taken!


    So what are you saying Mike. I shouldn't have a good screening process or a good property manager? I've had rentals since 2004. Took classes last year. Haven't had a tenant destroy a property of mine yet. Only the usual paint and carpet was needed between tenants.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Irwin,

    I've already posted tons of my deals (as they happened). You can go back through my posts and review them if you like. As for your answer - too late, you already answered and your answer was wrong! I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but it's clear to those of use that actually understand the business that you simply...DON'T! If you want to actually learn something, then go read the sticky threads on the 50% Rule and you'll understand where you're going wrong. This is important if your new business is going to succeed, but you do what you want.

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    16y

    Mike,

    Cast all the pearls you wish. This guy is grandstanding for Russ Whitney and crew.

    What are the addresses?

  • Real Estate Investor · LA Area, CA · Member since 2009 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Irwin,

    I've already posted tons of my deals (as they happened). You can go back through my posts and review them if you like. As for your answer - too late, you already answered and your answer was wrong! I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but it's clear to those of use that actually understand the business that you simply...DON'T! If you want to actually learn something, then go read the sticky threads on the 50% Rule and you'll understand where you're going wrong. This is important if your new business is going to succeed, but you do what you want.



    You do realize the 50% rule is a guideline right. Just like cap rate and grm are also guidelines. Pffft! I'm done with you!
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Hi Jeff,

    No pearls, just trying to ensure than any new investors realize what's really going on. Here is his post from yesterday:



    So, the reality is that he's been in business for almost 6 years and he's up to a whopping 2 rentals and doesn't have a clue about operating expenses. I think that speaks VOLUMES!

    Mike
  • Real Estate Investor · LA Area, CA · Member since 2009 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Will, if you want to talk more pm me. I'm done with the rest of the naysayers.

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 22 votes
    16y

    I have been investing since 2005 and I do not even know the meaning of ROI or NOI.

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Michael Perry:
    I have been investing since 2005 and I do not even know the meaning of ROI or NOI.


    Your from Ga though
  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 22 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    Originally posted by Michael Perry:
    I have been investing since 2005 and I do not even know the meaning of ROI or NOI.


    Your from Ga though

    That may have something to do with it!

    LOL!

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Irwin DeVries:
    Will, if you want to talk more pm me. I'm done with the rest of the naysayers.



    You should go into politics. If anyone has a difference with you, they are naysyers and should be shunned. You should see if Michael Moore needs an apprentice.

    Your posts in defense of RD appear to be canned. I have seen the same type posts, with the same vague ROI and NOI references.

    Most of the types who work at these "enterprises" were students once. The Guru's have no problem with eating their own chum and they also feast from their own bait bucket as well.

    Sooner or later these types spiral in, landing in flames without much noise but with plenty of stench to go around.

    They generally push colon cleansing "miracles' just before they implode in an odorous heap of their own ethics and finally become obvious to every human sense what they were full of from the start.

    Thank god I will be shunned..............

    Tell the guys in Cape Coral I said Hi!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Please tell me I have been shunned! I think everyone tried to be polite in describing why they dont like the course or gurus in general...but somehow they are considered naysayers. So I will be very blunt about it...I think it is a flaming, smelling, pile of BS, meant to take advantage of people. If that makes me a naysayer then I guess I am one.

    I may not have much credibility, being new to investing but I have put many hours into education, including my license, reading, and talking with investors and could not be happier. I think paying for the courses is like paying for a Harvard degree and then getting a 1st grade class.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2008 · 390 posts · 72 votes
    16y

    What did investors do before there were gurus to pay loads of money to, for the secrets of investing?
    I'm going to guess networking.

    And what is it that's worth 20k for an education that I can't find here on BP and through networking?

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 22 votes
    16y

    I'm so happy that there is so much overall anti-guru sentiment on BP and that Josh does much to keep them on the sidelines on this blog. Obviously, with this site being monetized to some degree by ad revenue, the gurus and their lemmings are a bit of a necessary evil. After all, it is the lemmings and newbies who click on those guru ads.

    I have noticed that on some industry related blogs, they are losing visitors, and thus, ad revenue, due to the proliferation of scammers and other con men in their ranks. One blog that I have been visiting for ten years is about to close because the ratio of scammers/legit is so high forcing many to abandon the site altogether.

    Scammers will always be prevalent in the world of big tickets sales; there will always be vultures and bottom feeders.
    But hopefully, if we legitimate business people continue to represent a united front and to offer to disseminate good information to interested people, the influence of the gurus will continue to wane clearing the way for us to do more good, clean business and to help others in a more benevolent fashion.

    It's nice to see someone like Josh running a site that is ever mindful of its reputation and taking the steps to keep gurus in their places - which benefits all of us in myriad ways.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Hey Josh,

    Where's your vote for Michael Perry's last post? :D

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks Michael. Got it, Steve!

  • Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Hi... I'm a 19 year old student of the Rich Dad Education program.

    I went to the free seminar when my boyfriend convinced me to go. I didn't believe in all of this either. But for some reason, I signed up anyway.

    The 3 day training was amazing. The only way I can see it not being amazing, is if you hadn't previously educated yourself with the FREE reference package you get at the FREE seminar.

    I would pay $500 any day to go to it again. The mentors there literally pour their heart out. There is so much passion, so much truth in everything they say. I will tell you, out of a class of 28 students, only 6 of us went on. The six that did advance also were the ONLY 6 that talked to the mentors on personal levels.

    By the end of the third day, I was actually disappointed it was over. When the entire group left that didn't decide to advance, we had about another 2 hours in addition with the mentors after... You get tons of access to additional mentors, lawyers, help lines and even the mentor running the 3 day class for advice.

    You get the software the cash flow game and books and more...

    Trust me, your $500 is covered and then some.

    THIS CLASS IS ONLY MEANT FOR THE BRILLIANT. If you can't think outside the box, and you can't step out of your comfort zone, then don't even bother with any Rich Dad negativity. Any one who does their homework and advances to the next class succeeds. They're all around us, so stopping being so naive.

    Robert Kiyosaki is a great man with a remarkable mission. A mission everyone should follow. If you stopped looking for the negativity maybe you would see. But no one can't help the people that CHOOSE not to see.

    I work 14 hours a week and still manage to live on my own. I don't even have a credit card. This is all thanks to a great man. Listen, and make the changes... and you will see...

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jen Jeffery:
    Hi... I'm a 19 year old student of the Rich Dad Education program.

    I went to the free seminar when my boyfriend convinced me to go. I didn't believe in all of this either. But for some reason, I signed up anyway.

    The 3 day training was amazing. The only way I can see it not being amazing, is if you hadn't previously educated yourself with the FREE reference package you get at the FREE seminar.

    I would pay $500 any day to go to it again. The mentors there literally pour their heart out. There is so much passion, so much truth in everything they say. I will tell you, out of a class of 28 students, only 6 of us went on. The six that did advance also were the ONLY 6 that talked to the mentors on personal levels.

    By the end of the third day, I was actually disappointed it was over. When the entire group left that didn't decide to advance, we had about another 2 hours in addition with the mentors after... You get tons of access to additional mentors, lawyers, help lines and even the mentor running the 3 day class for advice.

    You get the software the cash flow game and books and more...

    Trust me, your $500 is covered and then some.

    THIS CLASS IS ONLY MEANT FOR THE BRILLIANT. If you can't think outside the box, and you can't step out of your comfort zone, then don't even bother with any Rich Dad negativity. Any one who does their homework and advances to the next class succeeds. They're all around us, so stopping being so naive.

    Robert Kiyosaki is a great man with a remarkable mission. A mission everyone should follow. If you stopped looking for the negativity maybe you would see. But no one can't help the people that CHOOSE not to see.

    I work 14 hours a week and still manage to live on my own. I don't even have a credit card. This is all thanks to a great man. Listen, and make the changes... and you will see...



    After reading this I needed some Kaopectate.
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y

    These posts always crack me up. As if we can not see what is going on here. First and only post and it is just a blatant sales pitch for the guru program.

  • Real Estate Investor · Franklin Park, NJ · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Hi, I am a student of RD and I found it to be very intense and good. From the first day we were told this is not for everyone. It takes hard work, hard work and you will not get rich over night and do not believe what the other gurus say. It takes time and diligence to reap the benefits.

    Before I signed up for his courses, I got his books read them thoroughly and realized this was the way I wanted to live. Get out of the rat race. I finished his course a year ago. My mentors were excellent and we still talk and they give me pointers. One of my mentors came to my city to mentor me for 3 days. He took us out looked at properties giving us neg and pos feedback. We stayed a whole day in Home Depot going over what not and what to use for rehabbing. I now know enough from that tour where I can tell if a contractor is trying to cheat me. I give them a monthly report on my progress, they encourage me and hold me accountable for being successful.

    However, I would never take any gurus' coaching course. Every person that I have spoken to that paid for a RE coach they all agree it was a waste of money.

    After taking RD's courses, I have learned how to make money in any type of business. I learned how to not just do RE, but how to set up a business and treat it like a business. This year my tax return paid for my RD education. I have rental properties with excellent tenants that have a positive cash flow.

    I work with my REIA group and get all my coaching from the seasoned investors. I don't regret taking RD courses. It's an investment in my Education and I am worth it. It's the same as if I was going to college - RE College. There are hundreds of people that pay thousands of dollars for college, and never get the job they attended college for. Also, do they get back enough tax money to pay for their college..... However, you must work really hard in this business to make it work. Once you have set up your business structure, then you can relax and let your workers do the hard work. When I first got my properties, I did everything pertaining to being a Landlord. Now, I have a manager that does it all. I no longer have to be at the properties all the time. I can now concentrate on other RE investments.

    Investing is like anything in life, you get what you put into it. I am thankful I made the change for a better life.

    I think this website is a great place to get good information and feedback. :lol:

  • Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
    16y

    I started my REI investing with the 3 day RDPD seminar almost 2 years ago which I thought was very good. I then spent $6200 on their coaching program which was not very productive for me. My coach wanted to be my friend more than he wanted to guide me to my 1st deal in REI. I do not recommend RDPD Advanced training. What I do recommend is getting the training through this terrific forum that is full of very helpful people who share all the techniques necessary to be successful and the tons of FREE informaton. Also read all the great books out there. However the best "teacher" is getting the courage to go out there and DO DEALS. Use this forum to post topics/questions about the process you are going through. I am always amazed at the fast and very helpful advice provided by the members of this forum who have no vested interest other than being of assistance. All the "guru" programs like RDPD are fronts for spending more and more money on training. It's the actual activity of REI that's the real way to learn how to be successful. I was one of those people who thought I could buy my way to success by just getting another course and that would do the trick. I have spent a considerable amount of money on training but now I spend my time in "sweat equity" going out looking for deals and getting excellent advice from the great people in this forum.

  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX, TX · Member since 2010 · 388 posts · 138 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jen Jeffery:
    Hi... I'm a 19 year old student of the Rich Dad Education program.

    I went to the free seminar when my boyfriend convinced me to go. I didn't believe in all of this either. But for some reason, I signed up anyway.

    The 3 day training was amazing. The only way I can see it not being amazing, is if you hadn't previously educated yourself with the FREE reference package you get at the FREE seminar.

    I would pay $500 any day to go to it again. The mentors there literally pour their heart out. There is so much passion, so much truth in everything they say. I will tell you, out of a class of 28 students, only 6 of us went on. The six that did advance also were the ONLY 6 that talked to the mentors on personal levels.

    By the end of the third day, I was actually disappointed it was over. When the entire group left that didn't decide to advance, we had about another 2 hours in addition with the mentors after... You get tons of access to additional mentors, lawyers, help lines and even the mentor running the 3 day class for advice.

    You get the software the cash flow game and books and more...

    Trust me, your $500 is covered and then some.

    THIS CLASS IS ONLY MEANT FOR THE BRILLIANT. If you can't think outside the box, and you can't step out of your comfort zone, then don't even bother with any Rich Dad negativity. Any one who does their homework and advances to the next class succeeds. They're all around us, so stopping being so naive.

    Robert Kiyosaki is a great man with a remarkable mission. A mission everyone should follow. If you stopped looking for the negativity maybe you would see. But no one can't help the people that CHOOSE not to see.

    I work 14 hours a week and still manage to live on my own. I don't even have a credit card. This is all thanks to a great man. Listen, and make the changes... and you will see...



    Jen, First welcome to BP, I see it is your first post and I won't assume that you are affiliated with the seminar program, though that is what it looks like.

    As for the seminar being for "Brilliant People", hang around BP for a little while and you will meet (virtually) some brilliant people. I have learned more from spending a few hours on BP than I have after reading almost every Kiyosaki Book. He tells you he doesn't give you the specifics, all he does give you is a bunch of rah rah about how it is good to be "rich". Also, I have a good friend (and mentor) who is a doctor who attended these advanced training and did get into the mentoring program. He already had some rentals and was very disappointed in the whole program. I believe he is very smart, but was sold a bad bag of goods.

    I am not sure of your statement about Kiyosaki being a great man. To me, MLK, FDR, Mother Theresa and many others are great. They have sacrificed so much for humanity, not charged 20k to give you the same canned information available elsewhere free. The point is not that you received some useful information for your thousands of dollars invested, the point is that you could have gotten the same information for free elsewhere without spending any money. All you have to do is seek.

    Here is a link that you might find useful:

    http://johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

    He pokes some good holes in the information that Kiyosaki has provided.

    Lastly, as for working 14 hours, you didn't mention what exactly it is that you do. There are many poeple that only work 14 hours a week and make good money.
  • Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    To be clear, 14 hours of work selling bathing suits.
    Making minimum wage.

    Like I said, I'm 19.

    And for the rest of the population my age, soon getting degrees, already with degrees etc... isn't funny how you were pushed for so long to go to University, got the degree... and are still working at Blockbuster.

    But I'll let you know how my success works out. Because I know it will, and that's the difference between you and I.

  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX, TX · Member since 2010 · 388 posts · 138 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jen Jeffery:
    To be clear, 14 hours of work selling bathing suits.
    Making minimum wage.

    Like I said, I'm 19.

    And for the rest of the population my age, soon getting degrees, already with degrees etc... isn't funny how you were pushed for so long to go to University, got the degree... and are still working at Blockbuster.

    But I'll let you know how my success works out. Because I know it will, and that's the difference between you and I.


    Jen, Thanks for the reply. There is nothing wrong with getting a degree or any formal education in any subject matter. One of my favorite authors Jim Rohn says "Formal education will make you a living, but self education will make you a fortune". It is also important to make a living while you work on building your fortune. The only time where formal education can be negative is when people stop educating themselves right after receiving a diploma.

    I am a proud member of blockbuster (Yes I do rent movies), though I am not sure how you thought I work there?

    As for your last comment about reaching success. I am pulling for you, if you might have a question or a situation where I can assist you, I will try my best. I believe that both of us can reach success with plenty of self education and hard work.

    Though my point does stand that all of the information that was shared at the seminar could have been received here, for free.

  • Appraiser · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 1 post · 1 vote
    16y

    Greetings everyone.

    I just stumbled on this site, as I am currently taking a 3-day RDPD real estate seminar as a guest, and admit to having a healthy sense of skeptism with signing up for the "advanced training."

    I will say this about the 2 days so far; I never thought of mobile homes as an opportunity before! So far, the two days have been informative to see other opportunities, like the mobile homes, and it does give you just enough information to wet your appetite. It's to be expected when you can come in "free" as a guest. I mean, I know they will attempt to sell you something. I'm used to this type of selling, as I used to be a sales person (obviously not good at it, as I am no longer in sales, professionally), and they do a decent job to get you interested. But unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that is too skeptical, and want to thoroughly do the research. I pretty much do that everyday as an appraiser.

    With that said, I'd rather obtain as much "free" information as possible, then go from there. One person did get me really interested in investing; he was the owner of a property that I appraised, and he did it (and I assume still does) the old fashion way: earned a little $, invested in a duplex, rehabbed it, and refi'd it. Last time I checked, about 3 years ago, he had 5 properties. But I saw what he did, and of course, thought I could do it too. Well, for me, it comes down to "saving" enough for the down payment. And I don't have to tell everyone what happened in October 2008....

    With that, I will say the 3-day seminar is interesting enough to give you ideas, but again, I'd rather do my research via this site, or through "networking," rather than "dumping" a decent sum of money on info that can be obtained through research.

    For $5,600 +- for the basic level class, I could get a "mobile home" that can cash flow....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.