Ideas on being a non-guru guru

Ideas on being a non-guru guru

Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes

Ok, so I have a deep interest in helping people understand how to be successful in real estate. I'm an entrepreneur at heart and I would prefer to make money giving the time, knowledge, and experience I have to other people.

I've "mentored" many people for FREE and unfortunately 95% of the time its a complete waste of MY time. They give up, fall off, don't follow through, get distracted, etc. within a couple weeks or months and they're done. It can be a little frustrating. I make a respectable income with my real estate, but I've put in years of my life and hundreds of thousands of dollars into figuring out how to do what I do. I still have to work many parts of my business to keep it growing, so when I take time to give to others in business I'm taking away from my own business.

I've kicked around the whole guru thing for years and personally I HATE most guru's. I hate their slick sales pitches and empty promises. I hate how most of them are just out there for a dollar. I hate the whole idea of over-promising and under-delivering.

I truly want to help people, I want to make money doing it, and I don't want to have to sell my soul or convince someone else to sell me theirs. :D

So my issue or question to the group is do you have any suggestions on how to balance the 3 factors here - my desire to truly help people, my desire to not just be another "guru", and my desire to make it profitable for the time I would put into it?

2Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2009 · 73 posts · 18 votes
17y

Ryan,
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this idea...
Have you thought about partnering with or becoming an instructor at a local college? So many more colleges and universities have entrepreneurship departments/degrees. You could not only have curricula focused on REI, but how to run and manage a business, etc.
There are a lot of adjunct opportunities all over the country and online. You may not get a percentage of your students' deals, but you would get to help others, make a little money, and show your expertise. Good luck with whatever you decide!
-Valerie

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
    17y

    Give away free useful information. Later on sell your products and/or services to the people who open your emails and appreciate what you have given them for free in the past.

    I think that its best to give before you expect to receive anyway. But this reciprocity typically is what makes the most gurus successful in the first place.

    It sounds like your heart is in the right place. So if you truly are interested in how to do it, without turning people off you should probably learn how people have done that in the past.

    That being said, there is no way you will do it without someone whining about you, making fun of you, or saying you are a scammer or something.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    I've been referring people to you for years now, Ryan. Can't you go the mentor route and take a piece of the action based on completed deals? Then, you're not the overpriced guru, but the hands on guy who gets it done.

    What do you think?

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2009 · 271 posts · 52 votes
    17y

    ryan i dont know you personally but just the time i have been here on bp i've learned alot by goin to your profile and reading your posts,i mean man if the opportunity is their for you to make the money make it,anyway that you can help me or give me guidance then im more than thankful for it

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Don't lie, don't cheat, don't over-promise, don't bust out the big wad of cash and state that "everyone should hang out with you next weekend at your bootcamp" because you obviously are rolling in the cash from all yoru easy investment strategies.

    But to be serious, your time IS money and therefore you are more than entitled to be compensated. The problem with Josh's recommendation (as I have tried this as well) is that you end up with the same outcome - the newbie does not follow your instructions, does not follow through, expects cash to fall from the sky and you spent your time instructing them on what and how to do things.
    On the flip side, if you charge upfront fro services, you are called a guru and are taking advantage of newbies. I disagree. Skin in the game does increase the chances of the investor completing the tasks and getting a deal done.

    All that said, the best thing you can do is to teach in a group format, using your real strategies that actaully work in specific markets, and offering this education at affordable rates all the while reducing the amount of time you actually spend doing the teaching, therefore making it worth your time and worth the money to the ones wanting the education.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    17y

    I agree with Will on this but perhaps you can do a combo of the two payments strategies.

    1. Setup a hourly, weekly or classroom fee.
    2. State you split the first deal with them minus the fees they've already paid.

    That way you get paid if they flake, and if they are successful you still get your 50% split on the first deal.

    The newbie is happy because he splits his first deal with you but most of the cost of hiring a mentor is not paid directly out of his pocket.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    People are weird. They fall for the slick guru pitches and throw away their money but when you try to help them for free or just a little cash they don’t want it. Case in point: I tried, along with another investor, to set up a class through my REI club. We saw so many people throwing their money away because they wanted to learn. We set up a class that was designed as an all day seminar. We priced it at $99 (including lunch) and figured we would get about 20 people. We aren’t slick but we are two of the most successful investors in the club and both us are regular speakers at the meetings. We needed 15 people to break even, so if we had 20 we would have split a whopping $500. We obviously weren’t doing it for the money, but to help. We had 2 people sign up and we had to cancel it. At the next REI meeting a dozen people signed up for the Guru du Jour’s boot camp at $1,000. I just don’t understand people, we should have charged $2k!

    :cool:

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 75 votes
    17y

    I agree with Mr. Dorkin about the mentoring.
    I would recommend, running an ad in the paper that states that you are looking for property locators. Train them and split the profit.
    Or, become a broker and train your realtors to do it for you.
    The good thing is that you don't charge them up front for a whole bunch of money and promise them the sky! You help them make money and you split the profits.
    I'll send you some detailed info on what I've seen work.

    Also, writing a book that actually has the answers instead of a motivational sales pitch to buy more stuff seems like an original concept when it comes to REI. The good thing about a book is that the reader will get out of it what they put into it so that you don't end up wasting your time. You have the possibility of reaching and helping millions of people without actually being there.

    When considering these two possibilities it is clear that writing a book (compiling all of your posts....lol) is the most effective way to help people without wasting your time or their money.

    Lastly, I'm actually kind of impressed with Charles Parrish's approach to the whole thing. Create a curriculum and start your own university!

    The way to stay away from the Guru status is by allowing people to earn money using your program, even if they just use the money to pay for your program. The guru's who say "pay me $2,000 up front and I guarantee you will make 200 times that amount in 10 days" are the same guys who will not let you work it off. If these gurus guarantee that the student will make that money back in a short amount of time then why wouldn't they just let them earn it using their system and then allow the student to pay them from their earnings?

    Also, don't sell seminars. If you are a great public speaker and someone wants to hire you to give a lecture or speech, that's one thing, but when you sell tax-deductible cruise ship seminars to Somalia then you become a guru-pirate!

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    17y

    Chris, the Charles Parrish idea is extremely fascinating. That peaks my interest probably more than anything. I don't have the time to allocate to a project like that right now, but I'll definitely keep that one on the shelf for future use.

    One of the main strengths of their program seems to be that there is a natural follow up program because you go to class every week. Let's say you put in an hour a week into teaching a 15 week class. Its not as efficient for the teacher as a 2 day seminar but its a similar amount of time invested and it gives the student time to grow and become comfortable with the investment process over the 15 weeks. The students get plenty of opportunities to ask questions and get guidance over the months, so it allows them to grow at their own pace. I would imagine that they have a very high success rate with that type of format.

    Of course then you're only dealing with local students unless you go the webinar or online course component to it also.

    That's probably the most interesting concept I've run across so far. I like the personal mentor aspect that allows someone to grow at their own pace while at the same time you are investing roughly the same amount of time into the teaching.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Ryan,

    The problem with trying to become an honest "guru" and yet utilizing the guru system of seminars, bootcamps, and mentoring is that you will NOT make money. The ignorant masses want INSTANT RICHES WITHOUT WORK! They don't want to work to build their credit rating or build up some cash. They don't want to work 12 hour days while they're getting their business started.

    So, when you, the honest guru, tell the truth which is that "I make a respectable income with my real estate, but I've put in years of my life and hundreds of thousands of dollars into figuring out how to do what I do. I still have to work many parts of my business to keep it growing", which newbie is going to pay big bucks to go to that seminar? Your competition is going to be saying that he got filthy rich working 5 minutes a month with his "system" that requires no cash, no credit, no brains, and absolutely no effort! That same competition is going to say that he has "THE SECRET" to fabulous riches and wealth; and that secret will be revealed if you go to his seminar. If you're going to tell the truth, you'll be saying that there is no secret and that a little common knowledge, hard work, and persistence are the keys to success! Your potential students will be thinking YUK! Why would I go to Ryan's seminar to hear about working hard when I could go to the Guru's seminar and get THE SECRET?

    Not gonna happen Ryan!

    Mike

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    You are trying to save the lemmings from the cliff or the osprey, Let them go.....Thats where they want to be.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    17y

    Well Mike I have to disagree with some of what you said. The knowledge required to be successful in real estate is not common, which is one of the reasons that many investors are not successful. The other main reason being laziness.

    Now I have personally spent a tremendous amount of time and a good chunk of money on learning how to do what I do. From my own personal experience and from watching the countless mistakes of new investors, I have to say that there is some very essential knowledge that needs to be understood to be successful in this business. Is it "secret" knowledge? No. Any investor will inevitably figure it out if they become successful in this business, but the question is how long and how much money will it take to figure it out.

    I personally spent about 2 years and lost $30,000 to learn the basics of how to be successful in this business or rather how NOT to be successful in this business. Would it have been more time and cost effective for me to pay an experienced guru $2,000 to teach me the pitfalls before I made them? I think so.

    Again looking at the university method of Charles Parrish, I don't see the instant riches claim. The school seems genuinely interested in providing a solid education to its students so that they can become real investors. Its a very fresh perspective on the whole investor education racket.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Hi Ryan,

    It is kind of a dilemma. I've helped people in the past just by taking calls and answering questions. I've had people offer to bird dog and/or partner on deals - that route becomes more management intensive. I've done it and it takes a lot of time training people. I've even had people offer $ to be a private lender - I haven't looked into that route either.

    The problem becomes just how much time you want to spend working with people. With the right person and the right attitude, a mentorship, bird dogs and/or partnerships can work. At one time, I had 30 bird dogs working for me - it was a nightmare and most of my time was spent training people.

    Now, I just keep people in mind and on the shelf in case I want to pursue these types of things in the future - i.e. partnerships, private lending, etc. But, the majority of my time is still spent finding deals. What helps me is sharing my experiences and knowledge on sites here and my blog. This way, I can leverage my time and help more people.

    There's a lot of good feedback here from everyone. Hope this helps!

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    Ryan, I too like the university type "course" setting. But would think that an investor who has the kowledge and time already invested in investing would know the different types of people who will be successful from the "lazy/easily quit people" from just a few questions or their conversations.

    This would lead me into the first investing 101 course which would be designed in such a way that their interaction is required (test maybe) and by their results you would know if they are going to be a waste of your time and theirs. This course could be free and followed up by the paid courses available only to those that pass the test of your knowledge.

    How does "Professor Ryan" sound?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    If you mean that the vast majority of newbies don't have the knowledge - you're right. However, the knowledge certainly is readily available. In fact, I would go so far as to say that all the information a person needs to be successful is available for free right here on BiggerPockets.

    I agree. Unfortunately for the gurus, the information needed to be successful is available right here for free. Since you've been in this business for a while, you realize that the gurus aren't selling education, they're selling dreams and fantasies to people who want to get rich quick and without any work! Again, if you tell the truth to prospective students, you'll be saying that it takes a lot of hard work, persistence, some money, and good credit to be successful. Your competition will be saying that a newbie can get rich with no money, no credit, no brains, and no work! The masses are dumb enough to believe that and you can't compete with that! You'll have to sell your soul and your integrity to be a successful guru! It's not worth the price!

    As Jeff says: "Those that can do...Those that can't GURU!" I know that you are someone that can do! Don't go over to the dark side!

    Mike

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I have to agree with Mike. About two years ago, I tried selling a true mentoring program teaching people the simple act of buying cheap houses and renting them out.

    First I had a hell of a time convincing people that real estate investing really isn't that f---ing complicated (That was my tagline for a while, "Becoming a landlord is not that f---ing complicated!"). They wouldn't pay unless they thought they were buying some new "secret" or learning some secret of creative financing. My "secret" was buy it cheap enough and you don't need financing. I also recommended against (and still do) leaving a good paying job to be a bird dog or wholesaler. 95% of people who heard me didn't believe me.

    Beyond this, my former circle of real estate friends were get rich quick junkies and halfass gurus. When they found out I went off the plantation and started teaching people the truth about real estate, I was immediately targeted for ridicule and assault. I was even targeted by one here on BP who I used to pay to "learn" from. Luckily I was a teacher before and knew the impact I would feel of truly helping a few - like Kim, a young girl with learning disabilities who I taught to read. That memory was worth the disrespect of all the teenagers I endured. Get ready for that. Get ready for teenager level disrespect from those who profit from shoveling more bullsh-- down seminar junkies' throats. Also get ready to look at a very small group of people who's lives you've truly impacted and have truly helped and learn to value that above pure profit. Don't plan on it but I've found that monetarily, chances are something will occur within that small group that will help you in some way though. Someone will get a windfall at some point when you need private funds or something like that.

    Personally I don't do any "guru" stuff anymore since the insurance business picked up. I did hang out with another forum member last weekend who knew my market and kind of showed him around my market and pointed him in the right direction. I usually don't do that, but he was already looking in my market and had the right attitude so I figured I'd show him a couple things to help him get a better start.

    Tim

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 75 votes
    17y

    The way you market the product will determine what type of people are going to be interested in your product.

    If you come across as a nice person who wants to help people then people will think, "There's got to be a catch, it sounds to good to be true!"

    If you say, "I have a secret that will make you rich" then you will get suckers!

    If you promote an opportunity for people to educate themselves by attending a university that has a 15 week curriculum then you are going to get intelligent, hard working, analytical people who are ready to make a serious commitment.

    It's true that this site has plenty to offer but it is really convoluted and not very time efficient if you are just trying to get to the bare bones of real estate investing, as compared to say a book for instance.

    It also may behoove you to separate your teachings from yourself to avoid negative propaganda. Instead of naming it Ryan Webber University you could name it something else and avoid being targeted as a Guru.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    17y

    The Dark Side is tempting me, so bear with me Mike :cool:

    Ok, my initial goal is to teach on wholesaling, which forgive me if I already sound too guruish, but you do NOT need much money or credit to get paid. Now hard work, ABSOLUTELY, brains, somewhat, but I can supply most of the needed brain power to someone who is willing to work at it.

    Now to be successful in this business with most other investment strategies you will need the money and the credit or at least it greatly helps to have the money and the credit, but wholesaling is unique in that regard that IF you are willing to put in the time and learn the strategies of it, you can do it with no credit and little money.

    Which in and of itself is an honest Guru's dream sales pitch.

    I do agree that most of the info you need to be successful you can get right here on Bigger Pockets, and a good part of it for Wholesaling I've personally supplied. :D

    But I'm still coming across a large quantity of people that are wanting some type of formal "how to" guide or who are looking for direct one on one mentoring.

    So seeing this demand and not tapping into it as an entrepreneur (legally, morally, and ethically) frustrates me. I refuse to be a sell out, I refuse to not be honest, and I refuse to sell a product or teach in a way that won't genuinely help people, but even with those constraints there still seems to be an incredible opportunity.

    But of course maybe its just the dark side tempting me.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Tim touched on another point. If you tell people the truth, you will have no (zero) chance of getting on the guru circuit. The scammers absolutely will not tolerate someone telling the truth and driving off their suckers (sorry - I mean students).

    Mike

  • Lender · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 166 posts · 46 votes
    17y

    Ryan, the mentoring business is in need of a genuine investor who's first priority is the success of the students.

    Here are my suggestions:
    1. Offer 1 program-simplify the process
    2. Do not upsell into the latest and greatest "gold package" nonsense
    3. Please do not go on the guru bandwagon, and become an affiliate of the latest launch of get rich quick materials. You know the emails.....they all startsomething like "Who the heck is this guy"?
    4.Be as real as you are here on BP

    I read most all your posts, and learned a tremendous amount of information. I will buy your stuff, or subscribe to it, and when people see your genuiness, they will too.

  • Real Estate Investor · dc, Washington D.C. · Member since 2008 · 392 posts · 89 votes
    17y

    Different approaches work for different people.

    Another approach that might work for you is to take a consultant's approach to the material. First, help the mentee to identify a specific problem when it comes to investing in real-estate. Second, help him/her to frame that issue. Third, help him/her to create a plan to resolve that issue, and help him/her to implement that plan. Fourth, help him/her to be able to identify similar or related issues. Finally, help him/her to automate this process.

    Although that might be enough for that mentee, another mentee might want to learn more.

    If I were you, I'd not worry about the comments of a few skeptical trolls and otherwise misguides souls. You know that what you're saying is true, and anyone who applies your techniques correctly will be able to verify for themselves that you told the truth.

    In time, a few of the skeptics will get tired of banging their heads against the wall, and they'll eventually check you out. How do I know this? I used to be one of them. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out how to profit from investing in real-estate; however, I can attest that it will take some time for them to accept your message. In engineering, we have saying that the numbers speak for themselves, and the same thing applies to investing (hence why I'm here).

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 837 votes
    17y

    Ryan,

    I applaud your enthusiasm and your intentions.

    Just one question. How do you avoid the "guru" label if you charge for your services. Doesn't charging a fee stigmatize you as a guru?

  • Virtual Real Estate Investor · Santa Rosa Beach , FL · Member since 2008 · 76 posts · 77 votes
    17y

    Richard, Ryan and Will are 100% right.

    What you have here is the definition of a paradox.

    Until the advent of the Internet, the only place investors had to turn for real world information was "the gurus". There was no medium to train investors on real world deals. So, yesterday's experts became today's "gurus" through the proliferation of books and the seminar circuit.

    God Bless'em.

    I have personally learned countless strategies that I implement in one way or another every day from Robert Allen, Donald Trump, Robert Kyosaki, Carleton Sheets, Dolf de Roos, etc. Without them and so many more, I wouldn’t even be in real estate or believe that someone with my background could succeed in real estate investment.

    Saying that there is something dishonest or ethically wrong with a "guru" monetizing and marketing their expertise to the largest base possible is akin to saying that investors are morally and ethically wrong for taking advantage of the ignorance of others and making money on real estate deals. This is hypocrisy at its finest.

    Shame on you!

    Monetizing your talent and presenting it to the largest base possible is the epitome of enlightened entrepreneurship.

    At the end of the day, isn't this the purpose of the Bigger Pockets web presence, to reach the largest possible base and monetize it?

    Otherwise, let’s be honest, it would be a non-read newsletter at best.

    If you want to define us as today's "experts", you must realize that we have all gained our expert status through tons of education (books, course work, gurus and real world), tons of money (spent, invested and lost) and countless hours of work and persistence.

    Unfortunately, due to the myriad of nuances involved in every real estate transaction, you learn by putting your hand on the stove only to realize that it is hot and you just got burned. These experiences cost time, money and deals but lay the educational foundation so you are better prepared for the next deal.

    I have often said that getting a real estate deal to closing can be like fighting a seven headed dragon and the closing table is where the dragon lives. You have to keep swinging your sword each time the next head comes by to take a bite out of your hide. Title issues, appraisal issues, underwriting issues, mortgage issues, ego issues, funding issues, etc., etc.

    So, if you are fortunate enough to persevere and have monetary success, you get deemed as the authority or expert by your colleagues, friends, the general public and so on. And they start to lean on you and take up your time, often times to never actually take your “expert†advice they appear to so desperately seek.

    For those with a soul, with the “authority†or “expert†moniker comes a responsibility to help others attain financial independence and avoid unnecessary pitfalls. Giving back and paying it forward.

    I have felt this and spent tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of time investing in the success of others, all at no cost to them.

    Here's the rub, unfortunately, no amount of internal desire to help and want to give back can overcome human nature.

    As is well known, as a general rule, people do not appreciate anything that is given away for free.

    Case in point, as is covered in the national media headlines daily; many people involved in the real estate industry have hit on very hard times. It's no secret that many investors, Realtors, builders, appraisers and attorneys have had to seek alternative methods of generating income.

    What has happened to them was clearly defined in the book, "Who Moved My Cheese?â€. If you have never read it, buy it and read it because it will permanently ensure your flexibility and ability to see new opportunities and avoid disaster.

    One would think that people forced out of their profession would clamor and kill for an opportunity to make significant income in their industry rather than go wait tables or work as a receptionist to make ends meet.

    Though never intended to be what it turned into, one of our investment programs gained tremendous popularity with buyers, sellers, investors and new construction builders and the evolution of the market and unsolicited demand forced us to create a retail platform to support them.

    This retail platform generates 1000s of buyers with cash and 1000s of sellers with property they want to sell via our program every month. It also generates daily unsolicited requests from other investors, Realtors, builders, property managers and clients who see what we are doing and want to work with us.

    In an effort to give back and help my friends and colleagues who were struggling, as well as the inordinate amount of other investors contacting me, we created a program with which they could work with us in our system as Independent Investor Partners (this was done to allow them to remain independent, maintain their egos, desired schedules and hours). This program was designed to take entrepreneurs who didn't want to be employees and provide them a JV partner who handled everything so they didn't have to, so they could retain pride, ego, etc., and work independently and NOT as an employee (and just do deals).

    We have multiple websites and an army of IT and support staff setup. I setup a Virtual PBX and Automated Call Distribution System (ACD) that they could log in to from anywhere and take live HOT inbound phone calls who had cash (that I paid for), setup email systems, auto responders, provided access to personal assistants, full IT support and plugged them into a system where they could work from anywhere at whatever time they wanted. We provided all of the leads, paid for every expense, support staff, overhead, etc.
    I provided personal daily training where they got to listen to me do deals live on the phone, provided scripts, training, WebExs, you name it. Expenses to the tune of thousands of dollars per month. In short, I could not have provided more for free to a base of people struggling who understood the business.

    The cost to the Independent Investor Partners was absolutely NOTHING.

    Our average revenue per deal on these transactions is more than $8,000 with many deals being closed in less than 24 hours start to finish.

    The end result was what Richard speaks of which is the 99/1 rule.

    Though I am not a negative person and have no desire for this to be a "negative" post, the truth remains that 99% of the people will take up your time, suck the life out of you and never do anything with the wealth of knowledge that you freely give away, or, in his case, nominally give away. When it is free or cheap, they will allow you to incur ridiculous time and expense on their part and never produce anything.This results in personal time with family, professional time doing deals and inordinate amounts of money, totally wasted.

    Due to the expense and time drain training and supporting others who had no intention of success, I made more money by myself than with more than 2 dozen dedicated “sales†people working with me as Independent Investor Partners who got the same exact leads that I got and had access to my personal support and IT staff. Several of these people had previously been millionaires.

    It is important to understand that my objective with the program was to truly help other people who were struggling by providing them with the over abundance that I have been given and have no means to take advantage of. (I am one person with two young sons with only so many hours per day to work deals and thousands upon thousands of leads monthly that I cannot personally talk to or take advantage of…………these were given away for free and were the same leads I support my family and lifestyle on).

    So, if you decide to criticize someone making money by monetizing their efforts and making people ante up (skin in the game), who also doesn't want or need to babysit other people, ask yourself this question (which we ask anyone now before we waste our time), "If we show you how to make money, will you do it and be accountable for your promise every week?".

    When faced with that sort of commitment, 99% of people will confess the truth and never do it.

    Only through this process can you find the 1% who are the diamonds in the rough and the next generation who actually deserve your time and effort.

    So, be cautious to criticize a “guru†until you have walked in their shoes as an enlightened “expert†and understand why they have chosen to monetize their efforts. It isn’t always lust for the almighty dollar.

    In many cases, it is disillusionment and the true understanding of of the outcome of entrepreneurial philanthropy.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Dave T:
    Ryan,

    Doesn't charging a fee stigmatize you as a guru?

    On this website it clearly does - but not in the real world. There are plenty of great teachers / mentors out there who charge for their services and are just that - great teachers and mentors.

    Unfortunately Ryan many on this board will whisper behind your back "guru" and some to your face - but that just comes with the territory.

    Being a good teacher and mentor doesn't mean guru and getting paid for your time / efforts / knowledge doesn't' either.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Scott - There are plenty of great teachers/mentors out there, and BiggerPockets certainly encourages our members to seek out and find those that are reputable and knowledgeable.

    That said, there is certainly a distinction made by the members and in reality between a quality teacher/mentor and a guru. The topic has been covered many times before. Many in the real world and any other site will also whisper "guru," Scott, but if you're not doing the guru thing, then it won't matter.

    Read the threads about many of the gurus . . . their students often come to defend these people and often times can't even explain anything that they learned. The people "teaching" them aren't doing them a service, are they? They are just getting them thirsty to make millions and often times leaving them broke, and angry.

    The real teachers and mentors are the ones who ensure that their students receive a real education and help them to actually succeed.

    You can't really do that with hundreds or thousands of students at a time like the gurus "do."

    In conclusion . . . charging a fee does not stigmatize you as a guru on this site; maybe for some members, but try not to generalize.

    The stigma comes from being a "guru," not from charging fees.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    I have a new program I just started where I am teaching a very small select group of students (some from BP) how to do exactly what I am doing - buying REO's at steep disocunts, rehabbing them, and reselling them to end users (retaiing) in markets that are condusive to such a strategy.
    They are paying me (not the ridiculous guru fees at bootcamps) and they are receiving real education, hands on, from start to finish. I feel I provide a valuable service and am confident that each of our students will have success stories to share with all of you.
    Does that make me a guru because I charged them? NO it does not. While a few may disagree, go ahead. The important thing to me is that my students are happy and even more important, successful!!!

    After all, Josh has a Pro Account membership right here on BP. Does that make him a guru? Of course not. He has to monetize his efforts just as an educator does. Speaking on that topic, why are not all of you "Pro Account Members"? If you feel this site is so valuable (which it is), why not give a little back to help make it even better!

    I think the key difference is the description of the educator and the background of him/her.
    There is another thread about guru or expert. The word guru is no synonomous with a lier/cheat/fraud/etc. in the RE investing world beacause there are so many out there who promise the dream and deliver the nightmare, the nightmare being the realization that money does not magically fall in your lap from the "secrets" disclosed, but quite the opposite, money has left their pockets and arrived in the guru's.

    Hope I didn't get too far off track from the topic (it's late) but I will say to Ryan that sinc eyou are a successful wholesaler and want to monetize some of your time teaching, do it, just do it honestly and give a real value for the charge.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.