Has anyone signed up for Sean Terry's Flip2freedom academy? A BPer suggested I take a look and like what I see. It sounds like much of the same stuff I've read. I just want to make sure it's not a scam.
Also, I like the fact that the program has video, how-to modules. I learn very well that way.
So, anyone follow his course? Any success with it?
Thanks.
Hey Todd,
I have a lot of great free training with my Flip2Freedom podcast in iTunes and the 129 page book I wrote. As of writing this post there's 60 free episodes which are about an hour each and cover every aspect of wholesaling.
The goal is clear and concise:
1. Get your first check ASAP.
2. Get one years worth of income in the bank as fast as possible so you can quit your job.
3. Build a successful business producing monthly cash flow using the 4 hour work week methods.
In the free podcast and book you'll learn:
-Many ways to find buyers for wholesale and retail deals.
-How to analyze a market for high cash transaction areas.
-How to find the perfect closing agent.
-How to set a strategic marketing plan for motivated sellers which includes direct mail secrets, internet marketing and bandit sign marketing.
-How the numbers really work.
-How to sort leads and determine motivation.
-How to make a "soft pass" offer.
-What to do on your first appointment with a seller.
-How to negotiate the wholesale deal or a seller financed deal leaving the existing loan in place.
-How to get the contact signed.
-How to open escrow.
-How to market the property for a quick sale.
-How to negotiate with the buyer to get the highest price possible.
-How to close the deal and get your first check.
-How to scale your business.
-How to wholesale house using the 4 hour work week methodology.
The book is your guide and the podcast episodes are your how to and motivation.
Start there FIRST and if you like what you hear and read then you'll love the Flip2Freedom Academy. With now hundred's of members all over the US and thousands of meaty comments it's really a tight nit community and we'd love to have you.
If you want to see what others have done, go to YouTube and search Flip2Freedom and you'll see a ton of REAL success stories.
@Joe C. Thanks for the nice comments.
If you need anything please let me know!
Cheers :)
Sean
I have not heard of that one. Have you invested in other programs? I see we are both from Louisiana, how far are you in the wholesale process?
Shayla - Lets try and keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Feel free to network with Todd or other members via other threads, or other parts of the site. Thanks!
I can only give a partial answer to this. I initially signed up when this program first started so I am not sure how its done now. I did not sign up for the whole thing, but for a smaller fee, got access to the messageboards, videos and other materials.
I would say the messageboard is pretty bare. BP is 100x better. The videos are pretty good though. They are thorough, step by step, and cover a lot of things. Sean Terry focuses on wholesaling and subject-to from private sellers. He is all about finding motivated sellers, negotiating with them, and finding buyers. There is nothing about REOs, buy/hold, or other methods.
I'd say the biggest benefit would be the fact that you can call him and he will help you through a deal. I don't know if he partners with you or what but he appears to be very hands on with his core group of members. He is also a nice guy.
Its definitely not a scam but like most training, much of the info has been posted elsewhere for free and its not cheap. Sean's hands on approach may be worth though if you can afford it. I'd love the hand-holding through a deal but I don't have the cash.
Also, he is a member here but I don't think he posts much.
Thanks, Jon. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm leaning towards signing up for the lifetime membership. Like you, the how-to vids are appealing. In addition, knowing I have someone to call through my first deal is worth it.
Between his set up and BP, both are ongoing resources and the people involved are wonderful.
Hey Todd,
I have a lot of great free training with my Flip2Freedom podcast in iTunes and the 129 page book I wrote. As of writing this post there's 60 free episodes which are about an hour each and cover every aspect of wholesaling.
The goal is clear and concise:
1. Get your first check ASAP.
2. Get one years worth of income in the bank as fast as possible so you can quit your job.
3. Build a successful business producing monthly cash flow using the 4 hour work week methods.
In the free podcast and book you'll learn:
-Many ways to find buyers for wholesale and retail deals.
-How to analyze a market for high cash transaction areas.
-How to find the perfect closing agent.
-How to set a strategic marketing plan for motivated sellers which includes direct mail secrets, internet marketing and bandit sign marketing.
-How the numbers really work.
-How to sort leads and determine motivation.
-How to make a "soft pass" offer.
-What to do on your first appointment with a seller.
-How to negotiate the wholesale deal or a seller financed deal leaving the existing loan in place.
-How to get the contact signed.
-How to open escrow.
-How to market the property for a quick sale.
-How to negotiate with the buyer to get the highest price possible.
-How to close the deal and get your first check.
-How to scale your business.
-How to wholesale house using the 4 hour work week methodology.
The book is your guide and the podcast episodes are your how to and motivation.
Start there FIRST and if you like what you hear and read then you'll love the Flip2Freedom Academy. With now hundred's of members all over the US and thousands of meaty comments it's really a tight nit community and we'd love to have you.
If you want to see what others have done, go to YouTube and search Flip2Freedom and you'll see a ton of REAL success stories.
@Joe C. Thanks for the nice comments.
If you need anything please let me know!
Cheers :)
Sean
Hi Sean,
I'm about 2/3 into your ebook but haven't accessed the podcasts. I'll look into it.
Chances are in favor that I will be joining your group shortly. I think you've done a fine job of providing quality content.
Thank you for taking the time to respond and see you soon!
I know this is beginning to be a cliche, but there is probably nothing that you will learn from that course that you can't learn on this forum for free. Most courses a really only designed for people who have zero education or experience in real estate.
I have found that once you have a firm grasp of the basics, the only way you are going to become an expert is to get out there and do it.
Joey
I have to disagree. One cannot compare a forum site with a seasoned investor who answers questions and teaches. Yes some people here show boat and preach... I haven’t noticed that about Sean.
Too many times I have asked him loaded questions which he had the answer for which fit today’s market. I know he is an active investor because he orders my yellow letters. Most trainers haven’t bought in a long while. He does.
What is more powerful is that too many of my customers have raved about Sean’s program. When I interview his followers about what they are getting I hear overwhelming satisfaction and gratefulness. Raving fans. And they are on the right track without a bunch of bull crap
The reality is that as good as BP is some people answer questions with no idea of the real answer which leaves new investors thinking they are getting great advice...
Then there is the issue of styles and types.
One can ask the same question of a several successful investors and get a different answer from each, all good answers. All you will come away with is an uncertainly...
Without a leader one will fail... Sean's program is a great grass roots program.
"One can ask the same question of a several successful investors and get a different answer from each, all good answers. All you will come away with is an uncertainly..."
This has been the case for me personally. Not just from this website but other sites and programs I've purchased in the past. And I think the major hurdle from learning curve to action to results is a different experience for everyone. In my case, an ignorant real estate deal got me in trouble when I was younger. It complicates things but at some point I'll have to go for it and put the past aside. Websites like BP have brought me closer to that goal.
I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. It it a tremendous help!
I know nothing about this company. That said, while I think a great mentor is extremely valuable, Michael, we have hundreds to thousands of members on the site who came here because the quality of education that they got from a crappy mentor or guru wasn't worth a pack of gum.
BiggerPockets isn't the answer for everyone. But there are plenty of real estate "instructors" out there giving very bad advice to their students. The nice thing about this place is when someone gives out that bad advice, they are typically called out by those people with more experience and better answers.
I'll take the collective any day over the advice of one individual.
Though, even better would be having a great mentor combined with the BiggerPockets collective knowledge . . . that's pretty powerful!
Joshua,
Congrats on your happy little girl...
I personally think this site has great content and some outstanding contributors... The point to my comment is that when comparing equally a quality trainer and a quality forum IMHO the trainer will trump the forum.
The knowledge base of the forum is so vast that without specific direction from a quality trainer an investor will be a little lost and may take the wrong direction to accomplish their personal goals. And although this site is a great resource for new and seasoned investors one cant hear it, mastermind with it or have it guide them in-depth.
With that said it certainly is an outstanding contributor.
I am certain I am not alone with my thanks to you for building a place we can come visit and learn.
Michael, I think the key phrase in your post is "quality trainer". A quality trainer would be great in any field or endeavor and certainly is helpful in a capital intensive business like real estate investing. Many years ago I had the opportunity to have a mentor who appeared to be not only quite successful but was willing to put deals together and 'partner' on projects... seemed ideal for a novice. The good thing for me was that I had already done a dozen or so deals and knew a little already. My instincts told me something was not quite right and after consulting with another RE investor, I decided to respectfully decline to do business with the guy. That was 2003 and he is long gone, along with his companies, properties, partners, etc., via stop work orders, demolition orders, foreclosures, etc. Marginal business practices, bending rules, short cuts... all caught up with him and those (generally) who were not a "quality mentor" or a "quality trainer". I've seen it a few times under differing scenarios but with the same consequence.
I've never used a trainer or mentor, but seems like someone who uses one needs a manual for how to select one.
I'm the BP'er that recommended Flip2Freedom to Todd (yes Sean, I do take checks hehe)so I'll chime in.
While I have not yet completed a wholesale deal, I know without a doubt that it will happen soon and I also know without a doubt that I will have Sean Terry to thank for it. (along with people like Ryan W,Michael Q,Eric M,J Scott,Jon H, etc from BP you guys rule)
First, I will say that I'm 100% satisfied with Flip2Freedom. Yes, it was a small expense, but I have no problem investing in my education.
Second, I will agree with Jon C and say that the private forums within the academy are underutilized. BUT, that's not Sean's fault. For those of us who use the forums and post questions....Sean always responds. That being said I'd like to see more forum activity.
The videos are AWESOME (especially that shirt!) But the best part about the academy in my opinion is the bi-weekly coaching calls. We can e-mail, post, or ask ANYTHING and Sean will spend as much time as needed explaining it.
Now....could I succeed with websites and books alone? Maybe..but I wouldn't have a fraction of the confidence I have now having joined Flip2Freedom. As Sean said....if the academy isn't for you, just the podcasts alone are incredible (my words)
I've read through every wholesaling post on BP, and aside from a handful of quality discussions that are very very good, most of the 105 pages can't touch the material that Sean provides for free in his podcasts.
As someone who's starting brand new, I felt that getting either a home study course like Eric M's, or joining a coaching program would be a perfect compliment to all the information from the interwebz. Sean provided me TONS of great content already, so I chose him and I'm happy I did. He's a great motivator and very likeable.
Sean, I'm sure you'll read this so let me say Thank You for everything. Someday when I'm as Baller as you, I hope to meet you and buy you a drink.
-Dave
I just voted up Joshua's post because the bottom line is that "I'll take the collective any day over the advice of one individual" rings loud for me. I've taken RE classes (and RE marketing, e.g. NC State, Monk RE, and Wake Tech Community College) from long time brokers, lawyers, investors and accountants. Take a foreclosure class from a trustee who's processed 4,000+ foreclosures... you can't get much better than that. In my book, the real "gurus" aren't those selling anything. They are sharing their experiences at places like community colleges where people like me can take their classes and learn without all the hype.
But then again, I'm not a "new" investor. So I'm not the "gurus" target market of complete novices. And that trustee who taught the class I took? He does almost all of my closings now (not just courthouse foreclosures) and I've closed a deal with him about every 7 to 8 weeks or so on average over the past couple years... so everyone wins. And without hype, books, or tapes!
As long as you are getting a "return" or "value" on your investment (time and money), then all is well. It's when the quality of education that you got from a crappy mentor or guru wasn't worth a pack of gum... whan you catch on... that's when it's time to rethink your guru investment. David, I'm glad for your "...roughly $648,000 to $1,200,000 in instant equity.. type investments with your guy. It's not my speed... but it's clear you have passion and that's critical for anyone's success in this business.
I've been reading BP forums off and on for awhile now. It is a remarkable tool. I've listened to audio courses and read books by different gurus and learned something each time. Here is the bottom line in my opinion:
There is enough info online where a new investor DO NOT need a coach.
However, some do better and benefit having one. My personality would probably benefit having someone walk me through a few deals. In summary, having a coach is another resource just as BP or books and audio seminars. Pick your posion; it's all good! No need to defend either is how I see it.
great discussion.
prediction for bp: joshua will select, or, bp members will vote to have one bp online mentor monitor specific forums, and then that mentor will share his/her expert opinion, which will bring topics to a knowledgeable finish.
i say this because often enough a topic will be introduced, and someone will respond with what seems to be good, sound advice/insight. but then, another member will respond, and then that member's advice/insight may contradict the information of the original poster. then, ongoing discussion entails, and either the most persuasive responders share their knowledge or the whole discussion fades. sometimes you're left with asking yourself who's right, and what is the accurate answer to the original post or question?
Hey Todd,
I am currently a member of the F2F academy. I am VERY satisfied with what he offers. Sean has a passion for teaching and you can see that in every video and every post in the academy. I do love this site and it offers A LOT of value, BUT in my opinion the fastest way to learn is to have a mentor that is currently doing deals. Forums and other real estate investing sites have an overwhelming amount of information which ceases you from taking action. There is many different strategies that you can use as a wholesaler, and by the time you learn all these different techniques a lot of valuable time has passed with no action. Sean is huge on taking action! He lays out a step by step plan that shows you on what action you need to take, to get a check ASAP! I am here locally in phoenix with Sean and he is an absolute genius when it comes to wholesaling. He knows the in's and out's of the business. Anytime you get a new job they have training but majority of your questions will come up when you are actually doing the job and that is why Seans F2F Academy has been so valuable to me. He is ALWAYS there when I have a question. Once you understand the solid core of wholesaling, you can implement your own strategies. Hope this helps Todd.
Take Care,
Cory Smith
Thanks for the input, Cory. Much appreciated.
To everyone following this thread, I agree that some gurus are out for a buck more than good training, always attempting to upsell. I've seen it and know people who have attended seminars where this was exploited to its fullest. "Max out your credit crad and buy our timeshare in the Bahamas". So, I commend the BPers for looking out for new members. It shows they care.
So far, from the material I've read and what others are saying, Sean Terry's group seems legit. I'll join for my own reasons and that's how it should be. I'm interested because of the motivational and inspirational factor. And he does have a solid step by step plan. Each investor should choose courses and mentors that suit his or her goals.
I have also invested in a program such as this. They pretty much help you out in the beginning and keep in touch with you but after a while they stop calling but you can always call them anytime for answers. With the program I receive daily FSBO listings in my area and a program that showd foreclosed or preforeclosure homes anywhere in the country.
Let me just throw in my 2 cents about Sean. I know Sean & he is a good friend of mine. He really does have his student's best interest at heart. And he is a guy that is actually doing 5+ deals every month in his market - Phoenix. Just check out his podcasts and his free ebook. He doesn't hold anything back - seriously. His academy just dives into a ton more detail and gives lots of real live examples. I highly recommend his course. It's very affordable. I've been through it and still refer to it from time to time.
Joe,
It seems strange that you posted about how great Sean's coarse is and it was just seconds after Sean posted the same "I've personally been through his entire course" on your thread. Do you guys work with one another?
Joe McCall's Wholesale Lease Options Course?
When marketing for sellers you'll get a lot of different types of deals that come across your desk. High equity deals, low equity deals, no equity deals and upside down deals.
For properties that have little to no equity (which are the majority) Joes program is by far the best out there to learn how to structure little to no equity deals and turn them into profits.
His lead generation method are unique and works. I've personally been through his entire course and give it my highest recommendation.
Good luck with your investing!!
Sean :D
It seems strange that you posted about how great Sean's coarse is and it was just seconds after Sean posted the same "I've personally been through his entire course" on your thread. Do you guys work with one another?
Joe McCall's Wholesale Lease Options Course?
When marketing for sellers you'll get a lot of different types of deals that come across your desk. High equity deals, low equity deals, no equity deals and upside down deals.
For properties that have little to no equity (which are the majority) Joes program is by far the best out there to learn how to structure little to no equity deals and turn them into profits.
His lead generation method are unique and works. I've personally been through his entire course and give it my highest recommendation.
Good luck with your investing!!
Sean :D
I think it would raise a red flag if Sean came on and claimed to be the final and best authority on all things wholesaling, what's wrong with recommending someone else's material?
Sean's material "mostly" focuses on the standard, high equity, wholesale deals. He doesn't talk much about REOs because those aren't his focus. He doesn't do virtual wholesaling either. If Joe's course has more info regarding lease option, or no-equity wholesale deals, what's wrong with Sean recommending it?
Sean is not affraid to admit, based on someone's passion or focus that maybe he's "not your guy". If you want to learn rentals, he'll recommend Jason Hartman. I hope you don't think He and Jason are in cahoots too.
Hi Todd,
I have not heard of that one yet, but I like the term flip to freedom! The problem I have with the "Guru" is that everything is a feaking up sell! You pay them hundreds if not thousands to have a jumbled mess of info that you cant do anything with and at the end they tell you if you wanna make the real money, come to their 5,000 dollar boot camp! LOL!
I personally almost became one of those guys, but I decided I wanted to sleep at night. So instead I put together an inexpensive mentoring program where my students have direct one on one access to me weekly. I felt that what was needed to really teach someone.
So in closing, I would go to him and see what one on one time they can give you. I am sure they have something, but just do not advertise it. Good luck!!! Flipping is a great way to make some cash without using any of your own credit or coin! :mrgreen:
P.S. This is not me pitching you, I am just sharing my thoughts on how most of the real estate classes are. I was the past president of a real estate club, so I booked a lotta of these guys.
Hi Rob...
I was one of those guys... After buying hundreds of houses I guess one learns a couple things..
I was in San Diego California on a 2 hour "how buy real estate chat" and when done I over heard the real estate club owner say "I will never have him back"
He said that becasue I wasnt selling anything, just giving knowledge about our business.
What I found really funny is that he called me a few months later and asked me how to market for certain types of deals...
BTW I was invited back... I love sharing what I know... We should all share..
Do I have something to sell... ABSOLUTELY..
This was a great discussion! I actually found it when I was researching Flip2Freedom Academy because I just read the e-book - which I loved...and by the way learned more from than seminars I have gone to for real estate and paid money for. I was considering trying the Real Estate Mogul course, which is cheap compared to anything else out there and and a very humble price. I have just been learning the past few months and everything has had my head spinning because there are so many ways a person can go and what I Like about Sean so far is that he targets one area in particular - wholesaling - that seems to be not so overwhelming and a great way for a person just starting out to get going. And I consider myself a fairly smart person but just trying to run in several directions at once and not going anywhere. I now feel like I have a straight line and can finally move forward. Because of all the other 'guru's out there that tend to be more concerned about taking the last of people's money it's hard at times to know what's real and what's a scam. I think Sean is the real deal.... But as has been said already, the forum's on here are incredible and a great addition to other ways we each choose to educate ourselves.