Troy, NY is the new Brooklyn!

Troy, NY is the new Brooklyn!

Rental Property Investor · Ramapo, NY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 108 votes

Did that subject title get your attention? Good! :) I saw this super-hype phrase used in a property listing yesterday. It also said Troy is the "new Saratoga Springs". The question I pose to our august Upstate New York contributors is - is this all hype, is there something to it, or a mix of both? Is Troy really "up and coming" or has there just been a slow improvement in certain areas?

Looking forward to everyone's input.

1Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 388 posts · 563 votes
9y

Hi @Moshe H. @Brian Rosher 

I'm so glad to see this post and the feedback about Troy. I've been a Manhattanite since '93, and started investing in Troy in '04. I acquired multifamily buildings there between '04 and early '06, then again from '09 to end of '14, and haven't yet sold any. Troy continues to be the epicenter of my operations, and I've leveraged my team to expand into Waterford and Mechanicville(I'm in Albany and other areas too, but Troy contains a very high percentage of my stuff.)

It's come a long way since I started there, and the rent growth has been pretty decent. I wouldn't compare it to Brooklyn just yet, and I don't think the Capital District has been sufficiently magnetic to compel the influx of hipsters and yuppies required to make it feel like the chic parts of Brooklyn. Absent proper job growth in Albany and Troy, I'm concerned that Troy's upward trajectory will not continue as it has in the recent past. But if local job growth is good, I suspect(and hope) that Troy's renaissance will continue. 

It's a fun place to be, and cost of living is quite reasonable. There's abundant industrial space for those looking to start companies, as well as reasonably priced office space, and government is generally friendly towards investors, though I've had some dust-ups with them of late. Finding well-priced real estate(relative to rent) seems to be a fool's errand nowadays- five or six years ago, I could buy a poorly-functioning two family for what a shell or gut-rehab costs today. And well-functioning two family buildings are priced such that creating substantial cash flow is challenging(although I've moved on from this type of product, it is a decent barometer.) Landlord-tenant court is very favorable for investors in Troy. I have to admit, I have a landlord-crush on a certain judge. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Schenectady has repelled many investors since I've operated in the Capital District(I won't elaborate on the reasons, that's for another thread,) and I doubt a casino will change their fortunes. If gambling were such a panacea, Atlantic City would be smoking hot by now! But even a savvy businessman like Donald Trump couldn't keep his casinos open there(I thought the house never loses? OK, that's it for politics today, sorry about that.) I also have avoided Cohoes for investments for Schenectady-like reasons. Waterford has proven rather decent, even though their local government seems to go out of their way to be difficult sometimes.  

Brian, I picked up a building in Mechanicville in '13, and I told my closing attorney(who lives in Stillwater) about the development that was going to increase values. He laughed at me, and said it'll never happen. Unfortunately, he's winning that bet! I'm still hopeful, however my hopes are fading on that point.

If anyone has Troy questions, please feel free to DM me, I could chat about Troy all day(as evidenced from the above 200 page post.)

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Troy, NY · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Owen Halloran thanks for the real world example.  These are the kinds of numbers I was looking for to put in as a rough estimate on my cash flow spreadsheet.  

  • Troy, NY · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Could you elaborate on what they're trying to do to revitalize the city?  Are there certain industries that are being promoted?  I'm excited to begin investing in Troy with what I'm hearing about the downtown area and of course there will always be RPI.   

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 388 posts · 563 votes
    9y

    Most of Troy isn't in a flood zone(I say that because most of my properties there have mortgages, and only a few require flood insurance.)

    If you want to avoid flood insurance(on a property in a flood zone) you can buy the property in cash. There's no law stating that an owner must have flood insurance, though in my experience, lenders require it when a property is in a flood zone(with mortgages, I believe there are laws regarding this.)

  • Real Estate Agent · Albany, NY · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 26 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brett Pirie:

    Could you elaborate on what they're trying to do to revitalize the city?  Are there certain industries that are being promoted?  I'm excited to begin investing in Troy with what I'm hearing about the downtown area and of course there will always be RPI.   

    There are a lot of new local businesses downtown. (Bars and restaurants). It seems the city is trying to turn around. 

  • Investor · Ballston Lake, NY · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    In regards to Troy, NY there is a lot Development taking place there, besides RPI, you have Samaritan Hospital which is currently undergoing a 99 Million dollar renovation, the Rensslaer tech has 70 small businesses as well as GE has a manufacturing operation,manufacturing Mammography units in North Greenbush, GE invested a 165 million into that project. Vicarious Visions has there corporate office in Menands, as well as the Nano tech park in Albany. All of these businesses is what is driving a lot of growth in Albany, Troy. Schenectady is seeing a partial turn around on Lower State street, there are some multifam development projects being developed as well, problem with Schenectady are the property taxes are outrageous. 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Anyone have input on North Central Troy? I've heard a few whispers that this area is up and coming. I visited the area back in the winter and saw a few homes that were vacant with a red x's on them along 6th and 7th avenues.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Watervliet, NY · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Kadeem Howell, North Central Troy, better known as Lansingburgh, has been performing decent over the past 2 years. Right now, average sale prices are around $115,000 for single family, and there are a lot of multi-family (mostly 2-Fam) homes as well. The Burgh is actually a big geographic area, and has had it's ups and downs over the past decade with a generational swing and uptick in crime. Overall through, they had a solid 2016 campaign, and this year is performing average to good as well.

  • Kew Gardens, NY · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    My general feel for Troy is that it is income depressed and dependent upon Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The new Bklyn thing is just hype to overprice dilapidated houses. Yeah, there are some locals who are die hard Troy lovers, but it seems to me a majority of the population is low, low income. 

    I live in NYC, and spent a few months looking a properties, visiting, connecting with a Realtor, and researching Troy. I also did direct mailing, which put me in touch with a number of local landlords and homeowners. The locals I spoke to were not hyped on Troy.

    Long story short, it's not a gold mine imo. I stayed away. Plus the last I heard there were plans to build numerous rental units by the water.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 198 votes
    9y

    Well I lived in Troy 30+ years ago. I rented a "7" bedroom house along with 6 other guys for $840 mo in 1985. We had a weird driveway with only "easement" access to Congress St. Our raging alcoholic neighbor used to regularly and loudly berate us for parking there until he passed out around 10 am. There was easy walking (aka staggering) access to downtown and RPI as well as nearby bars and grocery as long as you didn't mind the gray slush and muggers. The muggers left us alone because we had less money than them and they never knew when some dirtbag RPI student (like us) would be carrying a knife or unlicensed gun. I'm glad to hear it's "gentrifying". If I hadn't moved to Texas 25 years ago, I might be inclined to invest there. ;-) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    If Troy is the new Brooklyn, is Rensselaer the new Queens? :)

    Seriously though, I'm looking to invest in a multi family in Rensselaer. Would love to hear your opinions!

  • Engineer · RENSSELAER, NY · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    I'm just up the hill from Rensselaer and I've been thinking about it as well. Seems logical as it's just a stop or two up from Hudson on the Amtrak from the city. Crime rates are low and prices as well. Convenient to (and sometimes good views of) downtown Albany. Would like to hear from anyone else who is investing in downtown Rensselaer!

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    8y

    Troy is over heated.  We just flipped a house we got in Troy a year ago for 90k to almost 145k.  Troy is not Brooklyn.  Even if it was, Brooklyn fell too in the recession.  Be careful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.