Property Manager · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 115 votes
Working in a busy property management company, I'm often asked for advice on camera and alarm systems, and in rougher neighborhoods sometimes it can be a toss-up on whether to keep a property boarded-up between showings. I'd love to hear what other people are doing and recommend; tips and tricks for guarding a vacant property.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
My area is relatively low crime, but had one place that someone broke a window to get in.... probably a homeless guy looking for a place to sleep....got scared when neighbor turned light on.
I put in a SimpliSafe unit... portable, easy to set up, multiple options- you can use a webcam and get alerts on your phone and future tenant can pay for full service if they want.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y
Investing in a low-crime area.
I'm not being facetious. I live in a community where half the people never lock their doors. In 15 years of management and 20 years of investing, I've never had a break-in on a vacant or occupied unit. Construction crews leave their tools and materials on job sites with doors unlocked and theft is extremely rare.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
My area is relatively low crime, but had one place that someone broke a window to get in.... probably a homeless guy looking for a place to sleep....got scared when neighbor turned light on.
I put in a SimpliSafe unit... portable, easy to set up, multiple options- you can use a webcam and get alerts on your phone and future tenant can pay for full service if they want.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y
@Brett K. we manage in Class C areas, so have to deal with this a lot.
Options:
1) Boardup - pretty useless as easy to rip the off and advertises the property as vacant.
2) Armor Guard door frame reinforcement with temp double-key deadbolts. Really hard to kick in a door and then even if they go thru a window, can't open door from inside.
3) Remove mechanicals, store, reinstall upon MoveIn
4) VPS or DAWGS - metal window screens and doors. Best, but expensive and can still be defeated.
5) Cameras & alarms - sorry, we're not paid enough to confront a thief in the middle of the night! So, only effective if police will quickly respond and stop them in the act. Owners do NOT understand this:(
Property Manager · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 115 votes
1y
Love your process. We have an area of town where AC unit theft is common but I don't think anyone is pulling them out in-between occupancy. That's serious work. Do you have a favorite camera system?