Trying to set up a website: namecheap, wix, 1&1. Please help! :)

Trying to set up a website: namecheap, wix, 1&1. Please help! :)

Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 29 votes

After reading lots of posts on setting up a website, reading blogs, etc. I set out to build a website. I've put out a few free ones using Yola, and Synthasite back in the day...but I wanted something better than that. All of my research led me to understand that I could either build the website using code or use a drag and drop template. I chose the later. 

My understanding was also that I need to buy the domain, build the site, and pay for hosting. Maybe I'm going to learn something here, but I chose 3 different options for each of those. I bought a couple domains through namecheap.com, I've built a couple sites on Wix, and I bought hosting through 1&1. In my research, it seemed like each of these options were among the best options I could chose. The only thing I might have done differently would be to use WordPress instead of Wix (since I've heard so many people use WordPress), but after Brandon Turner showed us all how to set up the website on Wix I thought that would be sufficient. 

However, I'm now at an impass!! I can't seem to connect them all together....or hopefully I'm missing the spot where I can do that. I can't find a phone number for customer service on Wix...it directs me to a "live chat" section, but all I seem to find in there are FAQs with no option for a real live chat. Can anyone provide any direction to help me put these pieces together??!! I would be grateful for any help! Thank you!!!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 22 votes
9y
Try squarespace. Easy to set up. Decent SEO. Hosting included. Beautiful sites...much nicer than Wix. Here's an easy analogy... Wordpress is like Windows. It's not forgiving, complicated, and there's learning involved. But it's powerful and has the potential to do more. Squarespace and Wix are like Apple. You turn it on, you figure out how to use it in 10 minutes, and it' gorgeous!
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brett WeaverPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Loretto, TN · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Hi @Chris Bingham

    I'll attempt to help having lots of WordPress experience, but no Wix experience.

    My first question is, which Wix plan have you signed up for?  All the Wix plans seem to have free hosting, which would negate the need for 1&1 hosting.  Sounds like you have at least the "connect domain" Wix plan...is that correct?

    If that's correct, it should be just a matter of changing the "name servers" at Namecheap (which I also use - good choice) to point at your Wix site.

    Let us know a little more about your situation and it should be no problem to get you up and running.

  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    9y

    @Chris Bingham

    The relationship between domains, hosting, and web development is still one of those things that I feel is more complicated than it should be, and I am saying that as a software engineer.

    I would recommend paying somebody for a few hours of help to get over the line. Much like legal advice, it varies so much based on the context and is one of those things a seasoned developer or professional can navigate a bit easier.

    In the process, you'll likely receive a few recommendations to help you save money on this in the long run. 

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    @Chris Bingham
    I have my own webhosting, & would be happy to help you set this up, set it up for you, or answer any questions you have in trade for your experience & knowledge with rentals.  I'm not trying to solicit any services, I'm willing to do at my own cost (domain names are less than $20 & no cost to me for hosting).  Just looking to reach out to experienced individuals.  Feel free to connect with me to discuss, as again I don't want to spam here, or make it seem like I'm trying to sell a service.

    Additionally, I would suggest against using Wix.  A previous web customer that I had, Wix kept their domain when he left their services.  If you are looking to set this up yourself, I would recommend a web hosting company other than Wix.

    Ideally, you pay to own the domain name (like a phone number), & that needs to point to a name server.  Name servers are handled over DNS, & will point the domain name to the server that hosts & serves the files.  Some places like GoDaddy/HostGator are going to sell a package to wrap all of this into one.  

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 142 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    Wix provides the hosting.

    To connect a domain name to Wix from an external site you have to pay for an upgraded plan.

    1) Simple solution (not cost effective) 

    • Cancel 1&1 hosting 
    • Pay for an upgraded Wix plan
    • Transfer domain name to Wix

    This way everything is with Wix and it's less to worry about. And you keep the drag and drop features that Wix provides. The con is that it is very expensive in comparison to other methods. if you simply top using Wix you lose your website and potentially the domain name.

    2) Medium complexity (much cheaper)

    • Drop Wix
    • Keep 1&1 hosting 
    • Keep the domain name on namecheap. You simply point the DNS to 1&1
    • Install WordPress on 1&1 hosting. You should have 1 click install on your cpanel.

    This way you have more control on ownership of everything. It's much cheaper this way. Cons would be you don't get drag and drop but honestly you don't need it, WordPress has tons of templates to use that are very good.

    If you need more in depth help let me know I'd be glad to help.

    Also if you hire it out or get someone to help don't ever put it on someone else's hosting or let them buy the domain name. What happens if they disappear one day, stop paying, or worse try and get you to pay to give back your own content. 

  • Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    I haven't signed up for a wix plan. I've done it all with their free templates so far.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    The steps are

    • buy the domain name
    • buy the hosting site
    • inform them of your domain name
    • (they connect the name->hosting solution)
    • once here, you can open the url to the domain name and at least get something
    • now work out the coding method and you need to ensure your hosting solution supports it.
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Try squarespace. Easy to set up. Decent SEO. Hosting included. Beautiful sites...much nicer than Wix. Here's an easy analogy... Wordpress is like Windows. It's not forgiving, complicated, and there's learning involved. But it's powerful and has the potential to do more. Squarespace and Wix are like Apple. You turn it on, you figure out how to use it in 10 minutes, and it' gorgeous!
  • Brett WeaverPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Loretto, TN · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Chris Bingham The free Wix plans don't allow the site to be accessed via custom domain. 

    I agree with the other advice given. Either pay someone to set the site up or go with Squarespace as @Herman Herrera has suggested.  

    WordPress.com might be an option, but even there you have a learning curve. 

    You'll have to decide what your time is worth. If you want to blog consistently you will use it enough to learn it. If you are going to set up a static site and update every once in a while, I can pretty much assure you you will forget what you learned between updates (with WP). The a big update come out and a plugin breaks and now you have to research how to fix that and on and on. 

    Stick with a hosted solution or hire someone. It doesn't have to be expensive. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I guess it all depends on preference. WIX is kind of the newbie but it's just as good. But WordPress has been in the game longer. From me I can do a lot more SEO with WordPress. WordPress has more sites design in my opinion but I could be wrong.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.