I need to make a Website, but don't know how.

I need to make a Website, but don't know how.

Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 224 posts · 40 votes

I currently have freedomsoft so I have a buyer and a seller website, but they don't generate any traffic unless I have links to them.

I want to get a seller website that is SEO for my area. I'm terrible at this. I don't understand websites, keywords (well I get keywords, but don't know which ones to use), or web hosting. I can do a simple template website, but again it comes down to SEO.

I'd also like to start a wholesaler blog with wordpress or something, but don't know how to use wordpress or uploading stuff to the host site with web disks and FTPs confuse the heck out of me.

Does anyone have any resources or tips for this?

1Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2012 · 34 posts · 6 votes
14y

Hi Michael,

In "real life" (opposed to my secret investor identity) I am a web developer and run Ally Web Solutions, LLC, on a daily basis. I'd be happy to help you get some knowledge under your belt.

"SEO" is an acronym for Search Engine Optimizer/ation/ed. (The suffix changes depending on who you talk to). The entire point of the acronym involves an individual using programming techniques and content placement to structure the semantic "flow" of your web site's data. By doing so search engines will be able to determine, in their computer logic, what your web site is all about. Keywords play a good part in this, but equally important is the placement and "mark up" of those keywords. Social linking, as I call it, plays the next largest role. This is the one that not everyone has control over because it is the "street cred" your web site has in a given subject. For example: if BiggerPockets.com linked to your site and called it "The Best Wholesale Real Estate Web Site Ever" then a search engine (say, Google) might determine that BiggerPockets is "voting" for your web site as a web site dealing with wholesale real estate. Enough votes like this and your web site stars to ascend higher in the search results.

Template web sites can be great because they offer a fast, inexpensive deployment solution. When clients work on a tight budget, I advise them to reduce their design costs by utilizing a template.

Wordpress is a content management system (CMS). There are HUNDREDS of such systems on the internet, but something about Wordpress made it hugely popular. It grew from a tiny CMS into a very popular CMS in the span of six months, I'd guess. It "blew up." CMSs help folks who do not know how to write web page code by offering them a rich-text editor (akin to Wordpad for Windows) to author their web site's content. So, while you might not know the code to create a hyperlink, you can click a button, fill in some details, and the CMS inserts the necessary code for you.

Uploading is a word that means "sending" data to another place. When my clients ask the difference between uploading and downloading, I use an analogy involving cabinet shelves. Imagine you wake up late at night and simply must have an Oreo cookie. You stride into the kitchen and open the cabinet to retrieve the cookie pack. It's on a high shelf so you must bring it "down" in order to get your Oreo. You "download" it to your hands in order to have access.
Having eaten the last Oreo, it is time to restock. You come back from the grocery with a new package. Open the cabinet and place the new package "up" on the shelves. So, you have "uploaded" your package to the shelf.

Do you see the difference and understand its analogic meaning? In the web world, when you download a file, that means you are bringing a file from somewhere else to your computer. When you are uploading, you are sending a file to somewhere else.

FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol. The entire purpose of FTP is to upload and download files from a specific place. Many programs are available for download (for free) which facilitate this process. Here is an example of what FTP might be used for: a web developer (me, maybe?) creates your web site on his personal computer. Once it is finished, he has to upload the web site (all the files which compose the site) to a computer that is specially configured to host the web site for the entire Internet. He would use an FTP program to do this.

I hope this has helped. If you have more questions, please let me know.

// Rob

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2012 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents,

    I just watched the video @Brandon Turner made about the Wix website and easily put one together. I think it is a very inexpensive way to go as you can get a domain for fairly cheap. I do however have a question on the technical side since I am not very SEO savvy:

    If using a website made with Wix, if I link my Wordpress blog to it via icons on the bottom of each page, will it help both sites SEO the more I continually update or post new information on them?

    I don't want to hi-jack the thread but since I am just starting out with a web-presence as well I want to make sure any money spent is going to be the most beneficial.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Stephen Turner - SEO used to be all about links. Today it is about links, social shares and countless other inputs. Google and others continue to make their algorithms more and more sophisticated and less and less people actually know how best to do SEO. That said, SEO shouldn't be your concern, IMO. You should be concerned with conversions.

    If you get tons of visitors who are irrelevant, it is useless. Ranking for certain keywords can be valuable, but if you can't convert those to leads or customers, what's the point. So, ultimately, you want a site that converts, and if it does, then SEO or paid traffic will both yield you the same results.

    Hope that helps....

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2012 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    That definitely does help, thanks for the advice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.