Tenant Bootcamp.

Tenant Bootcamp.

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 25 votes

Good day all,

Found this article for those in San Fransisco, and it looks like other Cali places.

Seems like its mostly against some of the more unscrupulous landlords, but just for awareness.

http://missionlocal.org/2015/05/sfs-hottest-bootca...

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
11y

They call low fault or no fault evictions as these...

"These include for example, restrictions on roommates, airbnb rentals, pets, unauthorized improvements, loud parties and arguing with neighbors."

So from what I understand they are saying landlord's should not enforce rules regarding unauthorized occupants, subletting, work on the property without conscent, noise complaints or general misconduct. 

I take time to educate all my guests and encourage them to ask if they have questions from friends or family or their own lease. They need to follow the rules not because I am a strict landlord but because the rules are their for reasons protecting them, myself and neighbors.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
    11y

    Very interesting read

  • Real Estate Broker · Deland, FL · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    I'll say treat your tenants with respect and always have your properties in working order like you lived there. Apparently these tenants have shady landlords. I don't see anything wrong with these boot camps in teaching/explaining the  tenant/landlord laws. 

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    I do something similar focused on young people entering the rental market through Community Youth Services about 4x/yr.   I go through the process of applications, rental agreements, various notices, evictions, how to be a good tenant, all with a mind to preparing for their dream apartment or future home purchase.  

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Darnell Kramervery interesting. I think there should also be a landlord bootcamp to address the opposite perspective. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Sergio Garcia

    @Curtis Bidwell

    Agreed.  Treat your tennants well, and train them right and both parties will be much happier.  Though there is always the exception!

    @Joe Fairless

    I thought I read somewhere that there was a landlord boot camp.  Seems though from the tone of the article that the people have landlords that are impersonal and/or distant.  The way the article personifies landlords as bad people.  Pest control I think he said. Perhaps though they are just mad their rates were raised, and the landlords did not mitigate the issue.  Its all 'what if' though at this point.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    What this article completely fails to address, is that the reason landlords are behaving this way, for the most part in SF, is because of ridiculous rent control laws there.  These landlords have property that is extremely valuable, yet they can be forced to keep their rent at the same level for 30+ years, and the tenants' kids can "inherit" their rent controlled apartment.  These "abused" tenants are probably paying a fraction of what their apartments are worth, and landlords aren't even allowed to kick these tenants out even if they sell the place, without facing really stringent rules and paying through the nose for the tenants' relocation.  So, who wants to buy a place with a tenant in place who is paying 1970 rent prices?

    You couldn't pay me to own a rental in SF.

    These types of rent control are so un-American, it's hard to believe it can be legal.  It's my opinion that a city needs to build and manage their own subsidized housing.  To force a private landlord to subsidize tenants' rents is just ... I can't think of a strong enough word.

    http://www.safehaven.com/article/31054/rent-contro...

    The above article mentions a tenant who has lived in the same unit for 17 years.  He splits his rent of $1100 with a roommate.  The market rate for that unit is now over $3,000.  But, the landlord can't raise the rent.

    And, if you can find a justified reason to kick out a tenant, like owner moving in, etc., you get to pay them to leave.  Like $5,000. Per tenant.  And an additional $3,000+ if they are seniors or disabled.

    http://www.sfrb.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?docu...

    And if you kick them out because you want to move into it, you have to move in within 3 months and live there for three years:

    http://www.sftu.org/omi/

    It goes on and on.  

    So, boot camp for these "poor" tenants?  What a scam.  

    And this from someone in subsidized senior housing in the North Pole of California lol.  I had to move out of the SF Bay Area because I couldn't afford to retire there.  I'm grateful for my subsidized housing - but I'm in a building that was designed to be subsidized housing.  I'm thoroughly opposed to forcing private landowners to become government housing, and pay the subsidy themselves to private tenants!  It's just so wrong.

    Okay, breathe Sue :-)

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    11y

    They call low fault or no fault evictions as these...

    "These include for example, restrictions on roommates, airbnb rentals, pets, unauthorized improvements, loud parties and arguing with neighbors."

    So from what I understand they are saying landlord's should not enforce rules regarding unauthorized occupants, subletting, work on the property without conscent, noise complaints or general misconduct. 

    I take time to educate all my guests and encourage them to ask if they have questions from friends or family or their own lease. They need to follow the rules not because I am a strict landlord but because the rules are their for reasons protecting them, myself and neighbors.

  • Real Estate Professional · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Theses types of post are just for misguide the people. This is the reason, to overcome misunderstanding leased were signed in between landlords and tenants. Pest control is not a big issues, everyone knows that their services are expensive but if both will share the pest control cost then both can tackle pests problem easier and can live happily.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    So glad I left California 19 years ago....

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Bryan N.:

    So glad I left California 19 years ago....

     LOL.  Well, the entire state is not in rent control.  You couldn't get me to leave the state again.  But, I'm glad you're happy :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.