​Guest House - Before and After

​Guest House - Before and After

Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a quick post showing some before and after pics of a 1b/1b guest house that I rehabbed over the weekend. For the last 5 years the tenant was a retired man in his 60s who smoked 2 packs a day inside of the unit and totally destroyed it with filth and stink. He died after Christmas so I was debating what to do with the place, either rip out the walls or try to clean and paint to see if that works. It was so nasty inside. At one point I was debating actually tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding but it doesn't bring much rent so it wasn't worth the cost.

I wish words could describe how disgusting the place was. It was not just dirty but it had to verge on being a health hazard. The air was hard to breathe and it made people who were in there for more than 15 mins sick so they would leave. It gave me a headache but rental income is a great motivator so I sucked it up and marched ahead.

As you can see in the pics the walls were covered in nicotine. The week prior a friend tried to TSP the walls but all it did was smear and make a mess. You can see where pictures were hung on the walls leaving original paint surrounded by yellow nicotine. There was carpet on top of old carpet that had never been vacuumed, it reeked.

I bought some Zinsser BIN, a disposable respirator, some brushes and went to work. For anybody that is debating between Kilz or BIN I highly recommend BIN. After I was done there was no hint of smoke smell, in fact all I could smell was the new carpet. It also leaves a little bit of a shine on the primer so it looks like paint if you decide to just leave the primer (which is what I did). The new tenant can paint if they want to.

The Goods:

Here is a close up of the old wall and the primer. It really seals the nicotine in. This is what 5 years of smoke will do to a wall. In fact this is the kitchen wall in the next room, not even the main room.

I said this would be short and rambled on but dang it was a lot of work, new appliances, doors painted, new fan, etc. Got a new tenant moving in today! She doesn't smoke. I hope. Here are the afters that I am quite proud of!

Kitchen

Thanks for following along. Cheers!

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael ClantonPro Member
Contractor · Monroe, NC · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 22 votes
10y

Hi @Jason Clark, sorry to hear about your tenant's passing. 

The guest house looks great though, nice job! 

And I agree with you on the Zinsser BIN, that stuff works wonders! I've used their shellac based product on some old plywood paneling in a garage on a rehab we did that must have been previously stained with some type of oily substance like linseed oil. Nothing else would cover it but that!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael ClantonPro Member
    Contractor · Monroe, NC · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jason Clark, sorry to hear about your tenant's passing. 

    The guest house looks great though, nice job! 

    And I agree with you on the Zinsser BIN, that stuff works wonders! I've used their shellac based product on some old plywood paneling in a garage on a rehab we did that must have been previously stained with some type of oily substance like linseed oil. Nothing else would cover it but that!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I don't like white walls,  looks like an apartment.  the carpet is terrible too,  the fridge is blocking cabinets and there is a giant hole between the fridge and oven. 

    but as long as you got a tenant that likes it,  noone cares what I think. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    When you have 390 sq-ft of space to work with you make due with whatcha got. The fridge is big but the new tenant loves the place. I'll take white over nicotine stained walls any day. 

    Also the reason I did not paint is because if the smoke odor seeps through the primer I don't want to have to primer again over nicely painted walls. Considering that it should have been condemned by the health dept I'd say it's a nice improvement even if it does look like a hospital.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Michael Clanton. Originally I planned to use Kilz but when I went to Home Depot they had BIN also. I did a quick search on my phone for "Kilz vs BIN" (gotta love technology these days) and many of the reviews from painting pros all said that Kilz would probably work on nicotine but BIN would definitely work. So I bought the BIN. It was a little more expensive but it did the job and saved me from having to tear out walls to the studs. It's really watery which made it roll on easy making quick work of the job. It dried fast as well so I did two coats just to be safe. 

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 58 votes
    10y

    Looks much better! Good work, glad to hear you were able to get it taken care of and a new tenant moved in so quickly. Minimum income is better than no income!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.