Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Paul Shepherd
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Refinancing a house after renovation but no permits.

Paul Shepherd
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Jul 8 2020, 17:02

Hi All! Looking to tap into the wisdom and guidance of this tremendous community.

My wife and I have a small rental house that we are moving into and have already sold our house we were living in. We decided to do some renovations to the place prior to moving in. We have a limited timeframe so we started digging into some demo and framing and have decided we would like to add a second bathroom. We originally weren’t going to get permits for the work, but now we’re thinking we should.

My question really is if we don’t pull permits and move forward with completing the renovations, are we going to be screwed when we try to refinance the house if that second bathroom isn’t permitted? Or, will the appraiser and lender just see a renovated two bed and two bath and appraise/lend accordingly? The county auditor’s site will still say 2 bed 1 bath instead of 2 bath. Also will we be sorry when we go to sell?

Is there a way to get the auditor’s site updated to reflect the 2 baths without it being permitted?

We aren’t adding to the structure, just changing some things within the existing structure.

I know pulling the permits is best practice, but with Covid, I’ve heard it’s very slow going through that process and that’s time we felt we didn’t have.

Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Loading replies...