To Heloc or Cash out Refi after a potential BRRRR

To Heloc or Cash out Refi after a potential BRRRR

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 31 votes

I have a question for the Biggerpockets community. I’m trying to decide what the best option is for me with the Market and the rising interest rates.

I bought a duplex for 410K June 2021. My goal was to Remodel it and do a cash out refi to get all or most of my capital out. The top unit was a 1/1 but now a 2/1 with central A/C. I redid the kitchen, bathroom, interior paint, and floors. Bottom is a 3/2, but I think I can create another bedroom to make it a 4/2. Redoing the floor, paint, bathrooms, and kitchen. It has a Carport that can fit 2 cars and I’m creating extra space in the backyard to fit an additional 3 cars. The current Zestimate is 579K and I live 4 houses from the intercoastal. I’m hoping it will appreciate to 600k at minimum once everything is finished and if it appreciates more than that then I’ll pocket some cash. I’ll probably have 75K of rehab cost in this Duplex. I wanted to Cash out refi by late may early June, once my rehab is complete. My current interest rate is 3.25%. I can rent the bottom unit for $3,000 as is, hoping to get $3,200-$3,500 for rent once I finish my Rehab.

With the rising interest rate would a Cash out Refi be beneficial? So, I can get all or most of my money back from the initial capital and rehab cost. I’ll have a higher interest rate with this, increasing my monthly mortgage and fees.

Or would a Heloc be better? I'd get to keep my current interest rate and get a credit line from the forced appreciation of the property. I'd use that to pay for my Rehab cost and just pay the monthly fee from using the HELOC until I pay it off. Would saving money on my monthly from a lower interest rate help me out more than refinancing to a higher rate to get cash out to pay off my rehab.

I just want to know if I’m processing everything right, or if I should be thinking about something else.

Chris

0Reply
26 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Rising interest rates is reason enough to not do heloc and rather lock in a rate with a full refi. Unless you think you wont need the cash much from a heloc (so you can save on interest when you aren't using it) i would just go full refi.


    I did a heloc on a rental in December, but mostly I didn't want to pay the full fees of a refi. Plus i liked my interest rate on existing loan. But still wanted access to the equity. In hindsight might have been better to refi. Heloc fees were way higher than normal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Allan Smith That makes sense, I was thinking about the fluctuating rates of a HELOC. If I take out 75K of credit to cover my rehab cost, from credit cards and a private loan, if I would actually save money this way. I'll speak to some mortgage lenders that do both HELOC and Cash out REFI to see if they can give me a better visual on this, the actual numbers. I'm now leaning more towards biting the interest rate jump to be able to lock in that rate. Then get cash out so I can pay back my debt.

    Thanks for sharing your insight 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hey Christopher, I feel like a lot of investors are struggling with the same Refi questions that had original low interest terms or cash purchases on their acquisitions 6 months to a year ago. Make sure you are being informed by your brokers about whatever servicer they are using's actual ability to close loans. As the private money mortgage suppliers are having a tough time offloading these loans to wallstreet, I personally, as well as a few other investor friends struggled to close private money refinances since February, with time tables being around 6 weeks. However, with no-doc DSCR Private money loans being equitable to conventional rates at the moment, definitely make sure to expand the loan types you are shopping with your brokers.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Christopher Sarmiento:

    I have a question for the Biggerpockets community. I’m trying to decide what the best option is for me with the Market and the rising interest rates.

    I bought a duplex for 410K June 2021. My goal was to Remodel it and do a cash out refi to get all or most of my capital out. The top unit was a 1/1 but now a 2/1 with central A/C. I redid the kitchen, bathroom, interior paint, and floors. Bottom is a 3/2, but I think I can create another bedroom to make it a 4/2. Redoing the floor, paint, bathrooms, and kitchen. It has a Carport that can fit 2 cars and I’m creating extra space in the backyard to fit an additional 3 cars. The current Zestimate is 579K and I live 4 houses from the intercoastal. I’m hoping it will appreciate to 600k at minimum once everything is finished and if it appreciates more than that then I’ll pocket some cash. I’ll probably have 75K of rehab cost in this Duplex. I wanted to Cash out refi by late may early June, once my rehab is complete. My current interest rate is 3.25%. I can rent the bottom unit for $3,000 as is, hoping to get $3,200-$3,500 for rent once I finish my Rehab.

    With the rising interest rate would a Cash out Refi be beneficial? So, I can get all or most of my money back from the initial capital and rehab cost. I’ll have a higher interest rate with this, increasing my monthly mortgage and fees.

    Or would a Heloc be better? I'd get to keep my current interest rate and get a credit line from the forced appreciation of the property. I'd use that to pay for my Rehab cost and just pay the monthly fee from using the HELOC until I pay it off. Would saving money on my monthly from a lower interest rate help me out more than refinancing to a higher rate to get cash out to pay off my rehab.

    I just want to know if I’m processing everything right, or if I should be thinking about something else.

    Chris


    I'm in the exact same situation in Nashville - looking to access my equity on a Duplex without compromising my interest rate from 2020. Have you had any luck finding a lender who offers a HELOC on multi-family?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.