I am looking for a contractor in the Indianapolis area. Looking to hook up with out of state investors to see what contractors you recommend. Hoping you can share experiences good and bad to help me make a good choice.
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y
@Tyler Livingstone I see you have a response already but you should absolutely be leaning on other, local real estate investors on who they use. None of this going on the internet stuff...that will lead to a disaster. Use contractors that other investors have already worked with. It's not foolproof but it will help limit the risk here. If those contractors above work out, great. If you want to continue to search, then join some Indiana/Indianapolis real estate investor group pages on facebook and ask other investors there. You'll probably have some contractors say "use me" type of thing. I appreciate people trying to earn business but you need to work through references if you are following me. Thanks!
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y
@Tyler Livingstone I see you have a response already but you should absolutely be leaning on other, local real estate investors on who they use. None of this going on the internet stuff...that will lead to a disaster. Use contractors that other investors have already worked with. It's not foolproof but it will help limit the risk here. If those contractors above work out, great. If you want to continue to search, then join some Indiana/Indianapolis real estate investor group pages on facebook and ask other investors there. You'll probably have some contractors say "use me" type of thing. I appreciate people trying to earn business but you need to work through references if you are following me. Thanks!
@Tyler Livingstone I see you have a response already but you should absolutely be leaning on other, local real estate investors on who they use. None of this going on the internet stuff...that will lead to a disaster. Use contractors that other investors have already worked with. It's not foolproof but it will help limit the risk here. If those contractors above work out, great. If you want to continue to search, then join some Indiana/Indianapolis real estate investor group pages on facebook and ask other investors there. You'll probably have some contractors say "use me" type of thing. I appreciate people trying to earn business but you need to work through references if you are following me. Thanks!
@Tyler Livingstone I see you have a response already but you should absolutely be leaning on other, local real estate investors on who they use. None of this going on the internet stuff...that will lead to a disaster. Use contractors that other investors have already worked with. It's not foolproof but it will help limit the risk here. If those contractors above work out, great. If you want to continue to search, then join some Indiana/Indianapolis real estate investor group pages on facebook and ask other investors there. You'll probably have some contractors say "use me" type of thing. I appreciate people trying to earn business but you need to work through references if you are following me. Thanks!
I recommend asking other investors for contractors they have worked with either several times or for someone who did the work over 12 months ago. Many times the poor quality doesn't show up right away. We are dealing with a client who now has major electrical issues and concrete poured into the basement drain after the contractor patched the basement walls. Plumbing issues also may not show up for several months. Pex for instance, if not installed correctly can leak at the connection joints. Also, make sure you have a Certificate of Insurance including not only liability but work Comp Insurance. Anyone injured on the job be it a 1099 or an employee can go after the owner of the property if whoever hired them does not have a Work Comp policy and nothing can be put in writing to avoid this.
Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 8 votes
3y
100% agree on contacting investor friendly realtors who have had good experiences Generally someone who has been in the business for at least 10 years +
I have a handful of contractors I have had success with in the past.
Feel free to text me individually and I'll send over some information.
317-771-2228
Hi John, do you mind if I reach out regarding this same concern? I’m in seek of a general contractor for multiple projects and would like someone who comes highly recommended.