BRRRR no cashflow

BRRRR no cashflow

None · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Good evening,

I have come across a "discounted" property that needs relatively little work to be rented but there is no cashflow.

My market has very high property taxes and it is "impossible" to cashflow with todays rates and still tight with a lower rate in the future.

Purchase 140k

ARV 200k average

150k loan with 10k rehab included

Holding costs, closing costs, origination, 4 months (hard money) : 10,250

Refinance to 150k loan at 75% of 200k. 

Refinance closing costs 6k

Overall I would have to leave 24k in if it appraises at 200k and 16k at 210k . I am OK with that as I could do this a couple times with the money I have saved.

This property barely breaks even but the numbers are far better than anything else I have found. It would create immediate equity and eventually rents would catch up but that could be a few years.

With the new seasoning rules you have to wait 12 months from creation of your last mortgage to refinance and pull cash out. Has anyone found a way around this?

Am I looking at this from a wrong angle?

How do I combat high property taxes that kill every deal? (Besides out of state investing)

Is it worth it to leave 25k in to sell and receive 50k after selling costs more or less in 1-2 years and avoid "flip taxes"? If I put 25k into stocks and pulled out 50k 1-2 years later I would be more than happy.

This is my first deal and I am just trying to get over the initial hurdle of the first property.

*Edit*

Property taxes take almost 33% of the rent.

0Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
3y

If the property has no cash flow it is difficult to maintain the momentum of BRRRR. Basically, if you have good saving you better search great markets with rent/P.Price is great (about >1% of the purchase price). saying "My Market" would not be fruitful as the opportunity for BRRRR is dynamic.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I have a couple of thoughts:

    1. By it not cash flowing, are you limiting your ability to scale? 

    2. How long do you plan on keeping the property? Does it make sense to buy down the interest rate?

    3. What are your other options for buying?

    4. Can you do any more value adds? For example adding another unit (garage conversion or other). That might push it over the edge into cash flowing territory.

    It sounds like it would be a better deal to flip than to keep. Roll the proceeds (minus income taxes) into a new property that will cash flow better.

    Don't feel rushed into it, but be willing to take some level of risks. In this market with the new interest rates, deals aren't found, they are made.

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Franklin D. The way around the 12 month Fannie/Freddie seasoning guidelines is DSCR lending. We do 30 year fixed DSCR loans with as little as 3 months title seasoning at which point we can refi based on the NEW appraised value regardless of purchase cost.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    Be sure you are watching your DSCR closely.

    Many people got into BRRRs thinking they can refi but with interest rates increasing, DSCR is usually the bottleneck on how much you'll be able to pull out.

    Most lenders hover around a 1.25 but some go as low as 1.0. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.