Should I use a Heloc to secure financing for a new construction deal?

Should I use a Heloc to secure financing for a new construction deal?

Andre GuiebPro Member
Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes

I am new to real estate investing and was looking into taking a heloc on my primary to purchase land and do a construction loan. Current value of my primary is $1,200,000 and I owe $380,000 on the loan. Reason I do not want to do a cash out refi on my primary is because my rate is locked at 2.7%. With rates currently where they are I do not want to touch mine. My strategy is to use the heloc as the down payment to purchase the land and secure financing for a construction loan. After construction is complete I would do a cash out refinance to pay off the heloc and then rent the home with hopes of it cash flowing and appreciating in value. Having trouble analyzing this deal as there are so many variables and I do not have the experiencing analyzing deals to make me feel comfortable taking the risk.

Purchase price of the land would be $250,000 not including closing cost or fees, and construction for a new 3/2 home with an attached 1/1 ADU is estimated to cost around $300,000 - $400,000 finished. So looking to be in for $550,000 - $650,000 and the estimated value after construction is $800,000 - $900,000. Average rent in my area for a 3/2 is $4,000 - $5,000 a month and with the attached 1/1 ADU could rent from $1,800 - $2,500 a month. Bringing the gross rental income to $5,800 - $7,500 a month before expenses and cap x.

Does this strategy make since and is it worth the risk? Open to advice and other investment strategies as well.

2Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Saddle Brook, NJ · Member since 2023 · 431 posts · 231 votes
    2y

    Leveraging a HELOC to purchase/finance investments is a risky, but very lucrative way to use your equity. If you are comfortable, have the experience, and have accurately run the numbers, I'd say this could be a solid deal.

    My one concern is the experience. Lots can be said, but can you execute? Have you done ground-up construction before?

  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    2y

    How long will the project take? HELOC can be great but usually it's used for short term because of higher interest rate. You could also look to the route of a construction loan if you have experience

  • Investor · Madison WI · Member since 2021 · 140 posts · 103 votes
    2y

    Pull a 2nd mortgage instead of a HELOC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.