Hello Philly! New Investor Focused on BRRRR & Section 8

Hello Philly! New Investor Focused on BRRRR & Section 8

Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes

I’m new to the investing side of real estate and excited to be diving into the Philadelphia market. I'm currently working toward my first BRRRR deal, with a focus on value-add rental properties that align with the Section 8 HCV Program.

I’ve been learning from experienced operators who specialize in affordable housing, and I’m looking to build a long-term portfolio of cash-flowing properties across key zip codes in the city. My goal is to buy right, renovate smart, and hold for lasting equity and income.

I’m here to connect with investors, agents, wholesalers, lenders, contractors, and property managers who are doing good business in the area. If you’re open to working with new but committed investors — or just want to connect and trade insights — I’d love to hear from you. Happy to add value wherever I can!

Looking forward to learning, networking, and making deals happen

10Reply
258 views

Most Popular Reply

James LucentiBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Endicott, NY · Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 19 votes
1y

I am currently in the Souther-Tier of NYS, about 3 hours from Philly. I am interested in expanding to the Philly market as an investor and CRE advisor. I would love to connect. Here is my linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-lucenti/

I work with several investors who utalize the BRRR method. It is a solid model for rapid growth with limited capital and allows for risk management.

SVN Innovative Commercial Advisors526 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 479 posts · 362 votes
    1y

    @Ben Elashvili You're taking a smart approach in value-add rentals in Philly. I started investing in Philly for almost 10 years with some section 8 mixed in that does really well -- but keep an eye on the HUD policy shifts being discussed, going all-in on HCV can leave you exposed if things tighten up. Currently, if you know how things work, you can get top dollar. Of course it is not a secret so many investors have pivoted to that space and at PHA housing events, you often see more landlords than tenants. I use diversification to mitigate everything from climate impact to government regulation to local economies. I highly recommend getting to know the city and its nuances well. I run a local landlord group on FB and have some Philly focused resources that I put together. Feel free to reach out. Good luck with your investing!

    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sheryl Sitman:

      @Ben Elashvili You're taking a smart approach in value-add rentals in Philly. I started investing in Philly for almost 10 years with some section 8 mixed in that does really well -- but keep an eye on the HUD policy shifts being discussed, going all-in on HCV can leave you exposed if things tighten up. Currently, if you know how things work, you can get top dollar. Of course it is not a secret so many investors have pivoted to that space and at PHA housing events, you often see more landlords than tenants. I use diversification to mitigate everything from climate impact to government regulation to local economies. I highly recommend getting to know the city and its nuances well. I run a local landlord group on FB and have some Philly focused resources that I put together. Feel free to reach out. Good luck with your investing!


      Hi Sheryl! Thank you for sharing your insights and experience, great tips! Definitely will be diversifying in the near future after getting the hang of the HCV program into multiple asset classes. I did some fb group research and requested to join the community! Looking forward to joining and connecting.

      All the best!

  • James LucentiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Endicott, NY · Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 19 votes
    1y

    I am currently in the Souther-Tier of NYS, about 3 hours from Philly. I am interested in expanding to the Philly market as an investor and CRE advisor. I would love to connect. Here is my linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-lucenti/

    I work with several investors who utalize the BRRR method. It is a solid model for rapid growth with limited capital and allows for risk management.

    SVN Innovative Commercial Advisors526 Reviews
    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Lucenti:

      I am currently in the Souther-Tier of NYS, about 3 hours from Philly. I am interested in expanding to the Philly market as an investor and CRE advisor. I would love to connect. Here is my linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-lucenti/

      I work with several investors who utalize the BRRR method. It is a solid model for rapid growth with limited capital and allows for risk management.


      Hey James! Thanks for the introduction, great to connect with you!

      Sent you a connection request on LinkedIN, excited to chat more. 

      All the best!

  • James LucentiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Endicott, NY · Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 19 votes
    1y

    Ben. Sound good. I just accepted your Linkedin invite

    SVN Innovative Commercial Advisors526 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia · Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Hey Ben — welcome to the Philly market! You're off to a great start with the Section 8 + BRRRR strategy — it's one of the most reliable ways to build long-term cash flow here, especially in areas where market rent can be hit or miss.

    I work with investors weekly on value-add deals that fit that exact model — mostly off-market inventory in most pockets of Philly. If you’re still shaping your buy box or want to compare rent comps and rehab costs, happy to share what I’m seeing on the ground.

    Let’s connect — always good to meet committed investors looking to play the long game.

    – Mohamed Sylla

    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mohamed Sylla:

      Hey Ben — welcome to the Philly market! You're off to a great start with the Section 8 + BRRRR strategy — it's one of the most reliable ways to build long-term cash flow here, especially in areas where market rent can be hit or miss.

      I work with investors weekly on value-add deals that fit that exact model — mostly off-market inventory in most pockets of Philly. If you’re still shaping your buy box or want to compare rent comps and rehab costs, happy to share what I’m seeing on the ground.

      Let’s connect — always good to meet committed investors looking to play the long game.

      – Mohamed Sylla


       Hey Mohammed! Thanks for the introduction, very excited to connect with you and discuss a bit more in depth on strategy and how we can work together! Will reach out to you directly.

      Best

  • Investor · Conshohocken · Member since 2025 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hey Ben,

    Very exciting! I'm a wholesaler in the Philly area (and surrounding counties) that sources off market properties to investors. Anywhere from shells/full gut flips to turnkey rentals. Just sent you a message!

    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alex Broder:

      Hey Ben,

      Very exciting! I'm a wholesaler in the Philly area (and surrounding counties) that sources off market properties to investors. Anywhere from shells/full gut flips to turnkey rentals. Just sent you a message!


       Hey Alex! Thank you for the intro, looking forward to connecting with you directly! All the best

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alex Broder:

      Hey Ben,

      Very exciting! I'm a wholesaler in the Philly area (and surrounding counties) that sources off market properties to investors. Anywhere from shells/full gut flips to turnkey rentals. Just sent you a message!


       Alex can you get me on your list of deals please?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 501 votes
    1y

    @Ben Elashvili - I invest in the Philadelaphia suburbs both in residential and multifamily. It would be great to connect and see if we have any mutual interests!

    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Greg Kasmer:

      @Ben Elashvili - I invest in the Philadelaphia suburbs both in residential and multifamily. It would be great to connect and see if we have any mutual interests!

      Hey Greg! Thank you for the intro! Excellent, absolutely happy to connect with a fellow investor in the area, looking forward to speaking. Will message you directly.

      All the best
    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Greg Kasmer:

      @Ben Elashvili - I invest in the Philadelaphia suburbs both in residential and multifamily. It would be great to connect and see if we have any mutual interests!


       Hi Greg, Im looking to invest in the suburbs. Would love to chat and see if there is anything we can figure out. 

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 2 votes
    1y

    Hi @Greg Kasmer and@Ben Elashvili! I'd love to connect. I'm a new investor looking in the Philly suburbs as well. Greg, I'd love to learn more from your experience investing in the area!

    • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rina Patel:

      Hi @Greg Kasmer and@Ben Elashvili! I'd love to connect. I'm a new investor looking in the Philly suburbs as well. Greg, I'd love to learn more from your experience investing in the area!

       Hey thanks for reaching out! Looking forward to connecting

  • Bridget BrickBusiness Member
    Lender · Direct-to-Wholesale DSCR Loans | BRRRR & No-Seasoning Refi | 46 States · Member since 2025 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Ben my client @newttheentrepreneur on has used this exact method to biuld a $30mil RE portfolio in 5 years. He started by finding a SFR property in Philly for $80-100k.

    With the right lender, a newbie can get a renovation loan for 15% down payment on the purchase price - in this case $15k (Of $100k purchase) - so the remainder $85k + the entire renovation budget of $80k was financed. He already had his GC license, but you don't need one to do your own renovations, you just need to know what you're doing.
    Before buying he made sure that area was zoned for multifamily, he converted into a duplex. The ARV was $300k, in part because we were also able to sign up his preferred appraiser to the AMC panel in the refinance process.

    Investors can cash-out 75-80% LTV of the new ARV. That gave him a loan of $225k, minus the $180k outstanding loans and credit. He was left with about $40k to roll into the next projects. Again, 5 years later he has a portfolio of $30mil in RE. check out his IG page, I think he still does his mentee cohorts where he teaches all of this.

    We can help with both the renovation loans and the BRRRR cash-out refi once complete. No Seasoning required.

    You just have to purchase at the right price with the ARV already in mind. An example you should keep in mind, for someone with no experience you can't borrow more than 65% LTV of the ARV. For example if the ARV is $300k, you can't borrow more than 65% of that, or $195k to fund both the purchase and renovations. There are only a few markets where values are still low enough to make sense, Philly is one of them. Where there's a will there's a way, but the right team around you is paramount.

  • Member since 2025 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    @Rudy Klots

    Sent you an direct message!

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    11mo

    Welcome to Philly investing. Lock your buy box first, then build a Section 8‑savvy team: interview two property managers who actively lease HCV units in your target zips, ask for their approved rent ranges and inspection timelines, and have them pre‑screen neighborhoods and contractors. Pair that with one investor‑friendly agent who brings you 3 comps, rent estimates, and a light‑rehab scope per deal. Start with clean, code‑compliant value‑adds that pass HCV inspections, budget for reinspection delays, and underwrite at conservative voucher rents with full expenses and reserves. Next step: write a one‑page buy box and send it to three PMs and two agents this week to see who brings you a deal that pencils.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.