Should I purchase this apartment in Bay Area preium location

Should I purchase this apartment in Bay Area preium location

Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 24 votes

Currently, I get one off market listing in preium location in Bay Area like Sunnyvale 94087. Here are financial statistics:

Annual Scheduled Income: $240,000

NOI: $180,000

Sale Price: $3,000,000

Cap Rate: 6%

Value add potential:

5 bedrooms can be remodeled to increase rent by $5000 monthly and total rehab budget is about $450,000.

Some background about myself:

I am W2 worker in Bay Area and like real estate. To save time and reduce management cost, currently I only invest local apartments at preium location to accumulate positive cash flow. I am satisfied when rent increases and tenant profile improves after rehab.

This purchase is my last bullet. If I pull the trigger, I am worry about the impact of possible stock market burst. Meanwhile, this deal is the best deal I can find and I don't want to miss it. As you know, 6% cap in preium location is a good cap rate in Bay Area and value add potential is the safe margin.

Question: Do you recommend to purchase it under current stock market? Any suggestion is welcome.

0Reply
100 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2023 · 182 posts · 104 votes
    2mo

    6% cap does seem like a great deal for Sunnyvale. I have been seeing 3-4% in that neighborhood. Does the building have lots of deferred maintenance? What is the unit mix look like? 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    2mo

    Hey @Zhenyang Jin, stress test the numbers. What happens if rents take longer to increase, rehab costs run 20% over budget, or you have higher vacancies for a year? If the deal still produces acceptable returns under those scenarios, I'd be much more comfortable.

    • Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 24 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @G. Brian Davis:

      Hey @Zhenyang Jin, stress test the numbers. What happens if rents take longer to increase, rehab costs run 20% over budget, or you have higher vacancies for a year? If the deal still produces acceptable returns under those scenarios, I'd be much more comfortable.

       Thank you for the useful suggestion. Yes, rehab costs is easy over budget and mortgage rate is also hard to estimate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.