Househacking in Tacoma Wa

Househacking in Tacoma Wa

Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone, My name is Andrew Stephens I am 19 and by the time I turn 20 next year I am hopeful I will have my first house-hack property.

I am running into the issue of price. Tacoma seems to be a bit too pricy for duplex, triplex and even single family homes are out of the budget.

If anyone has advice to house-hacking in Tacoma I’d love to talk to you. I want to get my foot in the door early.

Also looking for an agent or someone who is interested in selling a cheaper property In this area.

-Andrew

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael HaasBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
5y

Congrats @Andrew Stephens on getting started early! My wife and I bought our first Househack at 21 years old; real estate is a game of persistence and patience, and there's nothing better than getting started early!

Are you willing to throw some sweat equity into this property? Real Estate investors need Money, Time, and Expertise. If you don't have Money or Expertise, you can use your time to add value to the property and find an experienced house-hacking agent to contribute their expertise. Happy to grab a coffee or chat on the phone about strategies in more detail if you're interested. Cheers!

HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Andrew Stephens, you are right, Tacoma is pretty overpriced with multiple offers on most of its deals. 

    One of the good things about Tacoma is that it allows non-owner occupied Accessory Dwell Unit (ADU).

    The next property may be your first house hack. You can buy something with ADU (or unfinished basement, finish the basement, and get the ADU permit), live in one-half, and rent the other half. In about two years, if you are ready to move to your next house hack, you are good to rent this house to two separate families, or two separate young professionals.

    I have an ADU, and I went through the process.

    Feel free to reach out over the phone and we can either chat over the phone or have coffee to discuss more.

    Best of luck, thanks

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Congrats @Andrew Stephens on getting started early! My wife and I bought our first Househack at 21 years old; real estate is a game of persistence and patience, and there's nothing better than getting started early!

    Are you willing to throw some sweat equity into this property? Real Estate investors need Money, Time, and Expertise. If you don't have Money or Expertise, you can use your time to add value to the property and find an experienced house-hacking agent to contribute their expertise. Happy to grab a coffee or chat on the phone about strategies in more detail if you're interested. Cheers!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    It may help to expand your search radius. I don't live in WA, but I did my first house hack in the Chicago area because I couldn't afford an actual residence in Chicago at the time. I would check out cheaper, up and coming suburbs in your area. It may mean a longer commute, but the equity from house hacking is worth it in my opinion. I bought my first one for 55k (it was a foreclosed townhouse) in an up and coming suburb and was worth 100k when I sold it 5 years ago. Now, houses in that neighborhood for for 140k. That doesn't do me any good, but does show the power of appreciation. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Forrest Williams

    This is a good idea. While a commute would suck the growth on the house would be worth it. The problem with Tacoma is the surrounding areas and just as bad price wise.

    I'm hopeful I will find one eventually and because Tacoma has an ADU law where I can build an ADU and live in it, the house doesn't need to be huge.

    I’ll definitely look outside of the limits however. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.