Votes |
Rental SFH Rehab for HELOC

Account Closed
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington DC
Posted Dec 1 2020, 06:05

Hello BP Community

I have a rental mid-$500K SFH in suburbs of Washington DC. This a typical suburban community with homes that are 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and 2500 sqft of living space. The house was built in early 90s and has not had any major rehabs or upgrades, except brand new roof and hardwood on first floor. I am considering a small upgrade project to increase the value of the house by hopefully $30K and my budget is around $5-10K to get a HELOC. I do have access to contractors that work with investors and from labor standpoint I can beat market average.

Here are some of the upgrades I'm considering but recognizing that I can't do all given the limited budget. Which high value high ROI low cost items would you pick to get as close as possible to a $30K valuation jump? It can even be one or two items out of all.

I must note that the current tenant utilizes the apartment heavily with 4 kids and are on the messier side. I'd like to balance the immediate ROI out the investment with durability if possible. I'm also open to considering other items you may suggest.

Btw- the last two appraisals rated the overall condition of the house as C3 and C4

1. New Clopay Garage door

2. Pressure wash around the house

3. Paint front door Cherry Red

4. Paint exterior door and windows trims

5. Paint the deck

6. Stainless steel Washer/Dryer + Dishwasher

7. Granite or Quartz countertop

8. Replace old tile with modern backsplash

9. Repaint Kitchen cabinet + get new knobs

10. New carpet or LVP upstairs bedrooms

11. New vanities in bathrooms

12. New shower sliding doors