My second $1 million BRRRR!

My second $1 million BRRRR!

Matthew DrouinPro Member
Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes

Hi BP community! My name is Matt, I have been using the BRRRR strategy for about 15 years, primarily on smaller multifamily 2-4 unit. About 3 years ago, I got contacted by a real estate broker about a commercial property he was going to be listing in an area where I own property. When I asked him the price, my jaw dropped. The price was $1 million dollars! All those zeroes and commas! I have to tell you I ,was intimidated. I knew the property was worth a million but I offered $947,000 because, well, I was more used to 6 figures.

The seller immediately countered at $1,000,000. So I contacted my lender and asked if they could do 80% LTV and a 25 year amortization to make the numbers work better. (We had a required on cash on cash rate of return of 11%, and the only way to conservatively get there was by having the lender do a policy exception. They usually only do 75% LTV, 20 year amort or 80% ltv, 25 year amort.) Due to our relationship, they said "yes" and made a policy exception.

So I was going to need $200k for down payment, and $100k for closing costs, operating capital and some capital for some property improvements.  $300k, which I didn't have...  After getting the property under contract, I quickly got to performing due diligence and putting together my pitch deck to start raising the capital, another thing I never did before.  I was used to presenting opportunities to lenders so I took the same approach to presenting to potential equity investors.  Believe me, I was sweating.  Especially after I put $50k in earnest money down.

Yada yada yada, and so last week, we just closed the cash out refinance and I took home a darling check for $310,000, which was pretty cool to see in my bank account for 2 seconds before I wrote a check for $300k to pay my investors back!  Now that I have your attention, if you want to review the very long winded manner in which we pulled this off, continue to read below.  If you are happy with the yada yada yada version, you can stop here, mask up and give me a virtual (covid friendly) high five!

Raising the $300k was a lot easier than I anticipated.  Why?  The asset was in a great location.  The projected numbers were very conservative; income conservatively low, expenses conservatively high; so the investors knew that I wasn't B.S.ing them with pie in the sky financial projects.  The asset was 100% occupied and had history of strong occupancy.  The business plan was simple: raise rents to market value as leases expired (they were drastically under market based upon our market survey and the fact that it seemed to always be at 100% historical occupancy), and normalize expenses.  The expenses were abnormally high.  Utilities were God awful high and the management company had a maintenance employee stationed there for half the day, every day.  AND they were paying for their snow removal company to salt and shovel the sidewalks to the tune of $10k a year.  These were just a few items of financial waste discovered.

During my due diligence:

1.)  I found that 20 hours a week was not necessary for a maintenance employee on a 20,000 square foot building.  The management company swore that he was needed there and the tenants loved him and he would be sorely missed if he wasn't there everyday.  Through right sizing and only having maintenance there on an as needed basis and proactive trips, we were able to save $20k per year!

2.)  In analyzing the utility bills with my energy consultant, we found that the electric usage was just as high during the winter as it was during the summer.  This didn't make sense.  It was normal to be high during the summer with the usage of air conditioning with the expectation that the usage would taper off in the winter.  The building was heated by steam during the winder.  When we dug into it further, we found that the air handlers for the A/C units were not shut down at the end of each cooling season.  Tenants had thermostats in their office suites that they had set at 68 degrees.  The building wide thermostat for the steam heat was set at 70 degrees!  So imagine that, the A/C and the building steam were fighting with each other the whole winter!  Furthermore, we found out that the management company maintenance person had the pressure for the boiler dialed up so high that the whole steam system was packed with a head of steam, so that the individual tenants had on demand steam.  By the way, this is not way steam heat systems work.  This was not only wasteful from an energy perspective, but it was also putting undue stress on the newer $50k boiler that was installed by the previous owner!  Through a small investment in an energy consultant and having them integrate real time energy management, we were able to save about 30% per year, or $10k per year.

3.)  I put the snow removal out to bid and we found a company to do it all inclusive, unlimited trips, and snow shoveling for $5k per year.  $5k in savings.

4.)  By increasing rents up to market as leases expired, we were able to push the revenue to $225k from $198k.

After executing this plan we were able to squeeze an additional $60k per year in NOI! In order to capitalize on the low interest rates and positive lending environment, we jumped on getting the asset refinanced. The property reappraised at $1.4 million so we were able to refinance and pay our investors back. Now we have an appreciating asset that cashflows over $40k per year, which will fund my daughter's college education! Now we're looking for our next $1,000,000 BRRRR deal in Rochester, NY!

33Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Whitney HuttenPro Member
Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Matthew Drouin Great work! Thank you for sharing. BRRRR really does work!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Very inspiring story!   Congratulations and thanks for sharing!  

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing @Matthew Drouin! Awesome project!

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Brian Buxton Thank you for the kind words sir!!!  I miss you buddy!

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Marissa Parker thank you, I hope you got something out of it!

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin - Inspirational story! I love how you tackled every unknown with a go-getter and get it done attitude. Great work and I hope to see a lot more success stories like this from you in the future. 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Wow! Thank you for sharing this! It's inspiring for sure!

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Freed thank you. I hope you got something out of it!

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Ugo Eze thank you for the kind words! I hope this story shakes things up for people who have limiting beliefs around doing larger deals!

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    Good stuff!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hugo, MN · Member since 2014 · 283 posts · 257 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin nicely done, sir! Very impressive! 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    Very inspiring, thanks for sharing! I like how to went into depth about how you minimized operating expenses. Definitely a lot of useful information to take away from here.

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Marissa Parker thank you I hope you got something out of it!

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin loved your details. Took notes and just wow. Thank you for sharing.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    Such an inspiration. So excited to be at that level one day!

  • Rental Property Investor · Croghan, NY · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin Great deal! It is very helpful to hear concrete examples with numbers attached of how you found potential in this property. Being new to this, the concepts are easier to grasp than the real world application. Thanks for sharing your insights.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Droui congratulations. Can you provide more details how you found investors and on what terms?

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin - Thank you so much for sharing these details. It’s amazing how much financial waste is in many buildings and nobody is looking at it with a close eye.

    Did you replace the management company too or not? Why not? It didn’t seem like they had your best interests at heart. Did they change their tune?

    Are you able to do RUBS or some other billing to charge through the actual utility costs to the tenants? (Or all leases are utilities included?) would you write any leases going forward not including all utilities?

    What’s your strategy on finding the next deal? Do you contact any owners or are you primarily working with brokers? Some people say they approach their commercial broker and say I want to buy x building like 123 Main Street, and that broker tries to see if it’s available.

    Do you have plans to go bigger? There was a 100,000sf 3 building office complex foreclosure for sale for like $5m in my town in a really decent spot next to the grocery store. Average rents were like $20psf gross. This was back in 2014 or so when suburban office was getting killed by urban office Obviously a lot of offices are hurting now that people dont come to work.

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 403 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    @Hardik Patel yes absolutely. The investors were private money lenders who financed mortgages on some investment properties I had bought throughout the years. I had a history of paying them back, so my track record spoke volumes in making them comfortable giving a promissory note of $300k at 7% interest, interest only, for a five year term. Please keep in mind. Don’t expect to find private lenders who will only charge 7% interest. That is low. However when you find people who are not professional hard money lenders, they are essentially benefiting from the opportunity to earn much higher than they would in the bank and backed by something tangible and by an operator they know and trust. Hope this helps!

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin Great work! Thank you for sharing. BRRRR really does work!

  • Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Good job, awesome! 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    You got me, Matt. That clickbait of the $310k got me lol!! 😂 

    Nevertheless, you did a fantastic pulling everything together and going full cycle on the deal! 

    Kudos to you!!! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    These kind of projects are beautiful! 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin inspiring and very encouraging for people like me who is starting their journey in real estate!!

  • Lender · Member since 2018 · 617 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    Congrats Matthew! I admire your courage and willingness to start playing at higher levels.

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin that’s $3,333 a month average! Look at those angel numbers 😍 🤍✨

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.