My second $1 million BRRRR!

My second $1 million BRRRR!

Matthew DrouinPro Member
Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 339 votes

Hi BP community! My name is Matt, I have been using the BRRRR strategy for about 15 years, primarily on smaller multifamily 2-4 unit. About 3 years ago, I got contacted by a real estate broker about a commercial property he was going to be listing in an area where I own property. When I asked him the price, my jaw dropped. The price was $1 million dollars! All those zeroes and commas! I have to tell you I ,was intimidated. I knew the property was worth a million but I offered $947,000 because, well, I was more used to 6 figures.

The seller immediately countered at $1,000,000. So I contacted my lender and asked if they could do 80% LTV and a 25 year amortization to make the numbers work better. (We had a required on cash on cash rate of return of 11%, and the only way to conservatively get there was by having the lender do a policy exception. They usually only do 75% LTV, 20 year amort or 80% ltv, 25 year amort.) Due to our relationship, they said "yes" and made a policy exception.

So I was going to need $200k for down payment, and $100k for closing costs, operating capital and some capital for some property improvements.  $300k, which I didn't have...  After getting the property under contract, I quickly got to performing due diligence and putting together my pitch deck to start raising the capital, another thing I never did before.  I was used to presenting opportunities to lenders so I took the same approach to presenting to potential equity investors.  Believe me, I was sweating.  Especially after I put $50k in earnest money down.

Yada yada yada, and so last week, we just closed the cash out refinance and I took home a darling check for $310,000, which was pretty cool to see in my bank account for 2 seconds before I wrote a check for $300k to pay my investors back!  Now that I have your attention, if you want to review the very long winded manner in which we pulled this off, continue to read below.  If you are happy with the yada yada yada version, you can stop here, mask up and give me a virtual (covid friendly) high five!

Raising the $300k was a lot easier than I anticipated.  Why?  The asset was in a great location.  The projected numbers were very conservative; income conservatively low, expenses conservatively high; so the investors knew that I wasn't B.S.ing them with pie in the sky financial projects.  The asset was 100% occupied and had history of strong occupancy.  The business plan was simple: raise rents to market value as leases expired (they were drastically under market based upon our market survey and the fact that it seemed to always be at 100% historical occupancy), and normalize expenses.  The expenses were abnormally high.  Utilities were God awful high and the management company had a maintenance employee stationed there for half the day, every day.  AND they were paying for their snow removal company to salt and shovel the sidewalks to the tune of $10k a year.  These were just a few items of financial waste discovered.

During my due diligence:

1.)  I found that 20 hours a week was not necessary for a maintenance employee on a 20,000 square foot building.  The management company swore that he was needed there and the tenants loved him and he would be sorely missed if he wasn't there everyday.  Through right sizing and only having maintenance there on an as needed basis and proactive trips, we were able to save $20k per year!

2.)  In analyzing the utility bills with my energy consultant, we found that the electric usage was just as high during the winter as it was during the summer.  This didn't make sense.  It was normal to be high during the summer with the usage of air conditioning with the expectation that the usage would taper off in the winter.  The building was heated by steam during the winder.  When we dug into it further, we found that the air handlers for the A/C units were not shut down at the end of each cooling season.  Tenants had thermostats in their office suites that they had set at 68 degrees.  The building wide thermostat for the steam heat was set at 70 degrees!  So imagine that, the A/C and the building steam were fighting with each other the whole winter!  Furthermore, we found out that the management company maintenance person had the pressure for the boiler dialed up so high that the whole steam system was packed with a head of steam, so that the individual tenants had on demand steam.  By the way, this is not way steam heat systems work.  This was not only wasteful from an energy perspective, but it was also putting undue stress on the newer $50k boiler that was installed by the previous owner!  Through a small investment in an energy consultant and having them integrate real time energy management, we were able to save about 30% per year, or $10k per year.

3.)  I put the snow removal out to bid and we found a company to do it all inclusive, unlimited trips, and snow shoveling for $5k per year.  $5k in savings.

4.)  By increasing rents up to market as leases expired, we were able to push the revenue to $225k from $198k.

After executing this plan we were able to squeeze an additional $60k per year in NOI! In order to capitalize on the low interest rates and positive lending environment, we jumped on getting the asset refinanced. The property reappraised at $1.4 million so we were able to refinance and pay our investors back. Now we have an appreciating asset that cashflows over $40k per year, which will fund my daughter's college education! Now we're looking for our next $1,000,000 BRRRR deal in Rochester, NY!

33Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Whitney HuttenPro Member
Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Matthew Drouin Great work! Thank you for sharing. BRRRR really does work!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kitty Hawk OBX NC · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Congratulations on a job well done !

    From the vision, to taking action, to execution!

    I absolutely love that you asked the bank to make an exception of their usual terms and got a YES!!

    Virtual High Five 🙋🏼‍♂️

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 339 votes
    5y

    @Ola Dantis yes I’m trying to get better at creating click bait! Haha

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin

    Great project and what an amazing story to inspire many of us newbies! Thanks for sharing.

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 339 votes
    5y

    @Natalie Schanne 1.) I kept the management company on for a little bit. This property was way outside of their management foot print and it was small. Their specialty was suburban office parks, huge ones. The only reason they managed this particular property was because it was owned by one of their clients who they managed other property for. When I started becoming more actively involved after purchasing it; looking at reducing expenses and increasing revenue, they fired me pretty quickly as a management client, so I created a management company with a partner and took over management.

    2.) In regards to RUBS, we kind of do it. There is only 3 electric meters for the entire building, so we bill back electric on a square footage pro rata basis. We include heat and don't bill back in the same manner. The only reason we didn't change that was because we had a lot of long term tenants who were only used to paying the electric pro rata not heat. How we approached this was, we increased rents to more than cover the cost of the historical heating. Plus the tenants have tax and opex escalators in their leases, meaning, each tenant locks their building expenses (inc. heat) on their first year. This becomes their base year. As expenses increase each year, we bill them back when we do year end reconciliation. That way we can stave off degrading NOI.

    3.) I am primarily working with brokers. However, I do get in front of owners directly sometimes. To be honest, when you approach someone who is not actively interested in selling, they are a little dubious about your intentions. Plus owners of commercial property are more savvy and know to call brokers when they are ready to sell in order to capture the best value and have buffer in negotiating. In regards to finding opportunities, certain brokers have different specialties, like multifamily, industrial, retail, etc. If I find a property that looks interesting and it's industrial, I will call my broker who has that specialization, because they usually have familiarity with that property and have probably have talked to the owner before.

    4.) Yes we plan to go bigger. I won't be done adding to my portfolio until I achieve a $20 million net worth. That office complex seems interesting. I am long term bullish on office. If you review the publications out there, the working from home model is hurting employee productivity pretty badly. Obviously, when office workers return, their foot print will probably be smaller. Your typical 10k sqf user will probably be seeking to downsize to 5k as they convert to a co-work hybrid model. Keep in mind, loss in productivity trumps rent overhead in terms of real cost. Companies are realizing this. Study your office market to see where average occupancy is for similar product and bake that vacancy factor into your underwriting.

  • Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Drouin Thank you so much for sharing. As an investor who is moving from the 2-4 into the 6+ Multifamily market I am so grateful for hearing examples like this. I agree that self limiting beliefs are probably the number one reason that prevent people from taking action in all areas of their lives. Thank you for normalizing this type of deal!! 

  • Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    ......and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.