Realtor Bait & Switch ?

81 Replies

@engelbert I would wait it out, also know your numbers even if you went to 90k would it make sense then wait it out if it only makes sense at the 82k then see what they say if they want you to go higher then walk away. My assumption is that it's a competitive market see what happens the make a logically and numbers decision not emotional decision. Hope it works in your favor and great job finding deal 

@Engelbert Devera

Have your agent get a SPECIFIC time that they will receive the counter offer. When that time hits (or maybe one hour after) reach back out- if they say they are still waiting or they have an offer significantly above, pull the offer if they go into grovel mode saying “no we accept!” Give them the silent treatment until they double message you back, in which you go back to your 80k offer since the other person was obviously false

@Bill Brandt I believe some states are different though. NY is a strange that requires a lawyer and as an agent, we make the offer, negotiate and get acceptance, but it’s not a binding deal unfortunately for either side till the lawyers create the contract and negotiate further should they feel the need. If that transaction were in NY you would not have much of a leg to stand on.

I agree with the sentiments below, if your numbers are where you need them, and are happy, hang in there, don’t adjust up, (negotiating against yourself) and call their bluff. If you don’t get this one, it wasn’t meant to be. Don’t let another agent steal your earned profit for the risk you are taking!

I never get involved with multiple offers. Even if I win, I feel like I lost. 

If their deal falls apart they'll come back to you. Tell them you're at $75k now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here