Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
3y
Hello Mary,
I recommend contacting the City Assessor and asking them what the new taxes will be at a specific purchase price. They can calculate the exact taxes for you. I find this especially helpful when a property has not been bold in a very long time.
Hey! I'm just learning how to analyze deals and I'm confused about how to estimate property taxes.
option 1: someone told me that property taxes are about 1.25% of a property's purchase price
option 2: the mortgage estimation on the MLS + property tax estimator on the MLS
Which of these 2 options would be more accurate?
Thank you!!
Hi Mary!
Hope you're having a great Monday! Great question by the way. We use the 1.25% as a good rule of thumb when preapproving our clients as we do not know where our buyer's property will be.
With that said, if you're just estimating what a properties taxes will end up being then the 1.25% figure will work just fine. Most cases that rate may be a bit high, making your overall taxes for the year a bit cheaper. Thats a win for you.
Here is a link that I think can bring you great value. San Diego Taxes
Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
3y
@Mary Ainsworth You can call the city assessor to get that info! This is a better option to me than the generic because its exact, however if you use general % try and go a little high to play it safe.
Hey! I'm just learning how to analyze deals and I'm confused about how to estimate property taxes.
option 1: someone told me that property taxes are about 1.25% of a property's purchase price
option 2: the mortgage estimation on the MLS + property tax estimator on the MLS
Which of these 2 options would be more accurate?
Thank you!!
Hi Mary!
Hope you're having a great Monday! Great question by the way. We use the 1.25% as a good rule of thumb when preapproving our clients as we do not know where our buyer's property will be.
With that said, if you're just estimating what a properties taxes will end up being then the 1.25% figure will work just fine. Most cases that rate may be a bit high, making your overall taxes for the year a bit cheaper. Thats a win for you.
Here is a link that I think can bring you great value. San Diego Taxes
Hope that helps!
Thanks Dan! Very good to know I'm using a fairly accurate number at least in these initial analyses :)
I recommend contacting the City Assessor and asking them what the new taxes will be at a specific purchase price. They can calculate the exact taxes for you. I find this especially helpful when a property has not been bold in a very long time.
Thanks Chris! I will look into calling them. So as long as the properties I'm looking at are in the same city, the property taxes only change depending on the property's purchase price?
@Mary Ainsworth You can call the city assessor to get that info! This is a better option to me than the generic because its exact, however if you use general % try and go a little high to play it safe.
You should have access to a local assessors website that you can pull actual 2022 numbers from. Its better to use actuals than estimates to improve the accuracy of your pro-forma.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Property tax rates will vary considerably from market to market.
Also be very cautious about using the current owner's property tax bill from public records. In some areas where owner occupants have a homestead exemption and/or an annual cap on tax increases, there can be a huge spread between what the current owner pays, compared to what a buyer will pay after the property is reassessed at the new sale price.
Many county property appraiser's/assessor's offices will have an online calculator where you can plug in a purchase price and get a tax estimate. Here is one example from Florida: https://pcpao.org/taxEst.php
Hey! I'm just learning how to analyze deals and I'm confused about how to estimate property taxes.
option 1: someone told me that property taxes are about 1.25% of a property's purchase price
option 2: the mortgage estimation on the MLS + property tax estimator on the MLS
Which of these 2 options would be more accurate?
Thank you!!
Hi Mary!
Hope you're having a great Monday! Great question by the way. We use the 1.25% as a good rule of thumb when preapproving our clients as we do not know where our buyer's property will be.
With that said, if you're just estimating what a properties taxes will end up being then the 1.25% figure will work just fine. Most cases that rate may be a bit high, making your overall taxes for the year a bit cheaper. Thats a win for you.
Here is a link that I think can bring you great value. San Diego Taxes
Hope that helps!
Thanks Dan! Very good to know I'm using a fairly accurate number at least in these initial analyses :)
Mary that link will bring you to a PDF with all the current tax rates in SD. just scroll all the way to the bottom to find the market that you are looking for to get the most accurate figures.
Hey! I'm just learning how to analyze deals and I'm confused about how to estimate property taxes.
option 1: someone told me that property taxes are about 1.25% of a property's purchase price
option 2: the mortgage estimation on the MLS + property tax estimator on the MLS
Which of these 2 options would be more accurate?
Thank you!!
Hi Mary!
Hope you're having a great Monday! Great question by the way. We use the 1.25% as a good rule of thumb when preapproving our clients as we do not know where our buyer's property will be.
With that said, if you're just estimating what a properties taxes will end up being then the 1.25% figure will work just fine. Most cases that rate may be a bit high, making your overall taxes for the year a bit cheaper. Thats a win for you.
Here is a link that I think can bring you great value. San Diego Taxes
Hope that helps!
Thanks Dan! Very good to know I'm using a fairly accurate number at least in these initial analyses :)
Mary that link will bring you to a PDF with all the current tax rates in SD. just scroll all the way to the bottom to find the market that you are looking for to get the most accurate figures.
Hey! I'm just learning how to analyze deals and I'm confused about how to estimate property taxes.
option 1: someone told me that property taxes are about 1.25% of a property's purchase price
option 2: the mortgage estimation on the MLS + property tax estimator on the MLS
Which of these 2 options would be more accurate?
Thank you!!
Hi Mary!
Hope you're having a great Monday! Great question by the way. We use the 1.25% as a good rule of thumb when preapproving our clients as we do not know where our buyer's property will be.
With that said, if you're just estimating what a properties taxes will end up being then the 1.25% figure will work just fine. Most cases that rate may be a bit high, making your overall taxes for the year a bit cheaper. Thats a win for you.
Here is a link that I think can bring you great value. San Diego Taxes
Hope that helps!
Thanks Dan! Very good to know I'm using a fairly accurate number at least in these initial analyses :)
Mary that link will bring you to a PDF with all the current tax rates in SD. just scroll all the way to the bottom to find the market that you are looking for to get the most accurate figures.
I recommend contacting the City Assessor and asking them what the new taxes will be at a specific purchase price. They can calculate the exact taxes for you. I find this especially helpful when a property has not been bold in a very long time.
Thanks Chris! I will look into calling them. So as long as the properties I'm looking at are in the same city, the property taxes only change depending on the property's purchase price?
Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
3y
Hello Mary, you must let the assessor know that this will be an investment property. In Michigan you can only homestead one property which minimizes the increase. On non-owner occupied investment properties, you are unable to homestead the property and so you can expect the taxes to increase by almost double of a homesteaded property.
Use 1.1%-1.25% of the purchase price and that should give you a pretty good idea what your annual property tax expense will be. Also, don't forget to add in the Mello-Roos if there are any.