How to win a bid on property

How to win a bid on property

Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP,

A week ago I found a SFH listed at 55k on the MLS that turned out to be a Fannie Mae foreclosure. 3 bedroom old style house, finished basement and attic, and two car garage. Seemed like a good deal and based on the pictures and talking with my agent decided to put in offer at 40k. Viewed property after bid was in and felt property exceeded expectations as a flip opportunity. Figured about 16k in repairs and property should sell at over 110k. Bank countered at the the list price of 55k so RE agent and I decided to counter again with 55k minus closing costs up to 2500 dollars. A few days later RE agent was informed with a multi-bid letter and that we should submit best offer and the bank would decide. It's been a few days now with no response. My agent tells me this means, 1) bank is taking a while to decide or 2) bank accepted another offer and is waiting for signed docs before informing other bidders. At this point I am wondering if I should have done something different. Perhaps this is a normal occurrence in the RE market? Please advise.

Thanks,

Nathan

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
12y

There is always a bid that state. " Buyer will pay $55,000 for property or $1,000 higher than the highest offer, whichever is greater".

Sometimes I wonder if the sellers agent just doesn't do this to get a higher price for his property even with only dealing with one buyer. Think about that. How many of you have asked to see competing offers? After deal was signed?....

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    Nothing shady or weird about it. Whether it is normal would depend on how hot your market is. I'd say your offer tactics were good, though I don't know how stiff the competition is. I hope you get it.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Ward - When you get into these "multiple offer" things, you can do a few things if you really, really want the property. Here it is: make sure that you have already inspected the property and make your offer with no contingencies, include proof of funds or a pre-approval letter, and a copy of your earnest money check - for at least $5000, maybe $10,000. I have gotten several good deals this way even when somebody else actually made a higher offer.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    I like the way you think but do you really believe the bank will let you make $50K on the deal. The banks know what their property is worth. Good luck there are a lot of investors will bid $7k to $10k over asking price and still make a good profit. Good luck.

    Joe Gore

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hi @Nathan Ward this is pretty normal in a competitive market, which is pretty much the whole country. I have been in similar situation plenty of times, specially in last 3-4 months. I have been on winning and losing sides of these highest and best offers.

    I would suggest that next time to find a good deal, just go in with the best number that you are comfortable with.

    I was asked to put highest and best offers on two deals earlier this month and I went over asking by 20% and lost one and got the other one.

  • Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks all for not just coming out and saying I messed up, cause that's how I feel at the moment. The market here in Pittsburgh does seem to be heating up and opportunities like this are becoming fewer.

    The first bid of 40k was contingent upon a home inspection. All bids that followed were cash, as is, with no contingencies. In hindsight, I should of accepted the counter at 55k in which I would be responsible for closing costs and before the bids of other investors were submitted. Lesson learned, I suppose, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Perhaps the bank is just taking time to decide, here's hoping!

    Nathan

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Ward - Stop waiting on the bank to get back with you and go ahead and make on offer on another one. You will have many more losses than wins in this business.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    When buying from the banks you want to make sure your bids are as is. If there is competition contingent offers are usually ignored.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Ward,

    There are investors who are buying with no contingency, no inspection, no weasel clause, and they are the ones that are getting the deals.


    Joe Gore
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed correct everyone buying at foreclosure auction buys in this manner why would a sale from a bank that just happens to be on MLS be any different.

    the local big players will be tough competition as they can afford a bummer or two

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs I have noticed in my market that even though I make all offers without any contingencies, banks usually come back with an addendum with 5 days inspection period.

    Have you noticed anything similar in your market?

  • Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Bank was considering first bids to owner occupant for 20 days, which I was willing to abide by. That's why I thought there would be less competition as it seems, at least in Pittsburgh, the cash investors have to wait.

    @Jay Hinrichs Not aware of banks doing this. Would this be through a loan or cash?

  • Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    There is always a bid that state. " Buyer will pay $55,000 for property or $1,000 higher than the highest offer, whichever is greater".

    Sometimes I wonder if the sellers agent just doesn't do this to get a higher price for his property even with only dealing with one buyer. Think about that. How many of you have asked to see competing offers? After deal was signed?....

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Martin Zawarski I tried putting a bid something along those lines "Buyer to pay $100 over the highest competing offer upto maximum of $xx,xxx" but I was told that we couldn't do that.

    I wonder if they would ever show the competing offer. Curious if anyone has had any luck with that.

  • Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sharad M.:
    @Martin Zawarski I tried putting a bid something along those lines "Buyer to pay $100 over the highest competing offer upto maximum of $xx,xxx" but I was told that we couldn't do that.

    so do you believe them? Or are they just getting their numbers up so they get more fed listings. If it isn't this it's they want to be the agent representing you the buyer even though you have your own license.

    Dude be serious -$100 make it a tad better , at least $1000 on properties above 50,000

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Martin Zawarski:
    Originally posted by @Sharad M.:
    @Martin Zawarski I tried putting a bid something along those lines "Buyer to pay $100 over the highest competing offer upto maximum of $xx,xxx" but I was told that we couldn't do that.

    so do you believe them? Or are they just getting their numbers up so they get more fed listings. If it isn't this it's they want to be the agent representing you the buyer even though you have your own license.

    Dude be serious -$100 make it a tad better , at least $1000 on properties above 50,000

    Doesn't matter whether I believe them or not. I tried and I was told that the seller wouldn't accept the offer with those wording regardless of the amount. I am not a real estate agent, I have one agent that I work with for most of my deals. I buy a lot of REOs and a lot of the agents are the same agents representing them so they know who I am.

    I am never more serious than when I am writing an offer. $100 is the number I felt comfortable with and that's the number I went with. I don't think $100 or $1,000 would have really made a difference. I was willing to pay higher than anyone else, whether it's $100 or $1,000, it wouldn't have mattered if they had accepted the wording on my deal, because it would have been the highest deal. Does it matter whether my offer is higher by $1 or $1,000?'

    To go back to my original question, has anyone had any luck getting an offer accepted this way?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y
  • Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M. I know this type of offer exists and is similar to the way bids are processed on eBay. But that some banks will not accept this type of offer. It was the case for the above property mentioned.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    That's fair.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Ward:
    @Sharad M. I know this type of offer exists and is similar to the way bids are processed on eBay. But that some banks will not accept this type of offer. It was the case for the above property mentioned.

    I have only tried it once on a property that I really liked, but the seller wouldn't accept that offer, so I just went with my best number. This property was Fannie Mae.

    Interesting that some banks will offer similar offers.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    Fwiw I have been ridiculously busy the past 6 days but I literally just set down my iPad and got out of bed to respond to this post.

    This topic of highest and best has been brought up many times, and I'm seriously considering writing a blog post about it, because most people are imho, looking at this the wrong way, especially people new to REI.

    Please bare with me this might get long.

    Let me start by saying that when you are faced with a highest and best response from a seller, if you don't already know what your highest and best offer is instantly, then your doing your due diligence the wrong way.

    And to @Nathan Ward when you said you made an offer and then viewed the house, I knew right then there where problems. I will never write an offer without viewing a property. There are many reasons for this that I won't go into right now.

    Ok lets get into the meat of this.

    There are 3 key numbers to look at when buying a property for flips and buy and holds.

    1. ARV - After Repaired Value, or Market Value

    It doesn't matter if you plan on selling or holding the property you still need to know this, unless of course your paying cash and have no intention of getting it financed later.

    2. Rehab Cost - The amount of $ it will take to make the property Sellable/Rentable.

    3. Purchase Price - The maximum amount you can profitably purchase the property for. This has nothing what so ever to do with Asking Price. We and investors should not care what anyone is asking, our only concern is if we can buy the property for a price that makes us a profit.

    (other factors such as location, and financing will also be considered, but not in this post)

    The only number of the 3 listed above that is in our control is #3 - Purchase price. The rehab is a number we can not control much, sure you can cut corners or skimp on certain repairs, but in general rehab cost are what they are. And ARV is also a fairly static number, the majority of the time a 3/2 is only going to sell for $x based on the comps, over rehabbing with granite counters and Hwood floors doesn't always pay off.

    Follow me here Im getting to the good stuff

    Ok now you have done you due diligence, and you know that you can sell that house for $100,000 and you also calculated your rehab cost and you are confident that you will have this house turn key for a total rehab cost of $22,000.

    Now is when you ask yourself how much is the minimum amount of profit you are willing to make. Some of us will be content making 15% on a flip, so $15k is the minimum acceptable profit ( each person will have their own min profit margin) . In that case we calculate our max PP like this

    $100k Sales price

    -$ 22k Rehab cost

    -$15k profit

    This results in $63k max purchase price

    This doesn't mean your offer should be $63k, start off where you feel comfortable. People in Austin are going to have more competition then people in Hobokin.

    Sometimes my first offer on this property might be $45k, and other times it might actually be $59k. It depends on many factors, but it all comes down to how much competition I expect on this property. And how bad I need the work.

    I have actually made initial offers over asking price, because asking price doesn't matter !

    Lets say this same house was listed at $25k, and we have the same max PP of 63k, would we be upset if we paid $50k, 2x's asking price ? Heck no, because we still bought the house $13k under our max PP.

    Too many times I see people chase the shiny ball trying to get the house for a ridiculously low price only to loose the deal and they end up making 0$, not to mention the time lost in due diligence.

    At the same time, when you loose a deal, but you submitted your max PP, you can be confident you went after the deal the right way. If your loosing too many deals, double check yourself and make sure your estimating is correct.

    The best advice I ever received was from a good friend/mentor of mine in Philly.

    Loosing a good deal never hurts as bad a buying a bad deal

    @Joshua D. feel free to tweet that =)

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    Also, all of the advice about large earnest money deposits and strong non contingent cash offers is absolutely correct.

    I have bought properties that I was not the highest offer on because I was cash with no contingencies, and also being first in doesn't hurt.

  • Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Chris Adams Chris, thanks for the detailed reply. I am somewhat new to RE investing, but the numbers you came up with in your post were quite similar to what I crunched while in the process of bidding. As to the matter of bidding before viewing the property, I must disagree. A low ball offer like 40k gets you in the mix and the attention of the bank and of course did have a housing inspection contingency. The mistake I believe was in not accepting the counter by the bank at 55k. Countering the counter allowed other offers to come into the mix. All my final offers thus far have been cash, as is, no contingencies.

    Cheers,

    Nathan

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    Nathan what if you had under bid on a property that needed very little rehab, and in the mean time another stronger bid had came in. You would loose the property and never know it since you wouldn't get countered.

    I am a full time investor, I look at as many as 20 properties a week. Some within an hour of them coming on the market. I know my neighborhoods very well. And I am a general contractor, I can put together a solid estimate extremely fast.

    With all of that I still make mistakes and miss out on houses. I agree you get in front of the sellers with a fast offer. But bidding sight unseen is like buying a used car without a test drive.

    If you have a full time job and a family, I can imagine its hard to get free to meet the realtor and get in a property. But good deals can be lost by underbidding.

  • Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Chris Adams You are right, I do work full time and in most cases out in the field. But I do my due diligence.

    Scrutinize the MLS listing

    Go on the county website to see last purchase price and in what year

    Use Google Maps and look at the street/area

    Buy where I am familiar

    See similar comps on Trulia and again on county website

    I do see there is the inherent risk bidding on a property not seen, and normally I would do a drive by at least. Bad timing in this case.

  • IT Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Chris Adams

    New to investing and I get your outline. How do you get your rehab estimate close to the right number with speed ... especially when you are beginner? I can always use some online web to study but working with contractors are a different.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.