Commercial Property with 100% Financing but Not Cash-flowing

Commercial Property with 100% Financing but Not Cash-flowing

Realtor · Ventura County, CA · Member since 2012 · 126 posts · 61 votes

I recently had a Letter Of Intent (LOI) accepted by a very motivated seller, who responded to one of my Direct Mail letters, and is willing to finance 100% of the purchase price. We were about to finalize the contract and open escrow until the property's existing income and expense situation changed. I had a primary exit strategy in mind, but due to the change in income, I'm considering changing course and would like some feedback to see which exit strategy works best for me in this situation.

This commercial property is a 10,115 square foot multi-tenant office building in the Los Angeles area, which is positioned in a great location with great exposure. The existing tenants are long-term and consist(ed) of a pharmacy, medical clinic, dentist, law firm, bail bondsman, and 4,000+ of vacant space. Although I noticed some obsolescence, in regards to the reason the vacancies were never filled, it doesn’t have much of a deferred maintenance problem. It was just heavily mismanaged.

At the time of acceptance, the property was barely breaking even:

GOI: $122,400

Expenses: $39,800

NOI: $82,600

Mortgage: $80,400

Cash flow: $2,200/Yr

Although the seller agreed to finance 100% of the purchase price, I suggested that I purchase it “Subject-to” the existing financing and just take over payments, due to the lack of positive cash-flow. But the seller was firm on his price ($1.4M), yet he did agree to let me take over payments of the existing balance ($990K) and he would carry the difference with no interest or payments until I can cash him out.

Upside: The seller purchased the property over 10 years ago for $1.4M and has never increased rents, fill vacancies, or off-set expenses to improve the value and Net Operating Income.

Exit Strategy #1: Buy & Hold. My primary exit strategy is to stabilize the property and raise the value, then refinance to cash out the seller and hold this property for long-term cash flow. My plan is to start raising rents and negotiate with existing tenants on 3 year leases, with extension options and incremental rent increases to catch up with the parity of market lease rates.

I know some may think that I could be scaring the tenants away by raising rents, passing along the expenses, and adding incremental rent increases to the leases, but the good thing about this situation is that the tenants have been there for a long time (30+ years) and have established themselves at this location. It would be more costly to pick up and move to a new location, which may demand more per square foot and maybe need tenant build-out. And, taking into consideration that they've already made a killing throughout the years with low rent costs to their bottom line, I don't think raising rents a little at a time is going to scare them away. I also plan to cure the vacancies by getting them rent ready and marketing the property for new leases. In addition, I want to gradually off-set expenses by putting them into the leases and having the tenants pay for their own utilities, insurance, and maybe even their portion of the taxes over time. Eventually, I will want to have this property as a NNN lease or Absolute Net lease property with practically no or very little management required.

Exit Strategy #2: Stabilize and Flip. My second exit strategy would be to sell the property at a reasonable cap rate of 7.5% after filling vacancies. Filling the 4,000+ sqft of vacancies at $1.50/sqft (market rate: $2.20/sqft) would bring the total NOI to $145,000, which at a 7.5% Cap rate, would increase the value and sales price to about $1,940,000 for a quick sale. I would be able to pay off my seller $1.4M and be left with remaining net proceeds of about $400,000 for the next deal. Estimated timeline for this exit strategy is 12-24 months.

Exit Strategy #3: List For Sale on MLS. My final exit strategy, if I have to sell fast, is to use the Pro forma and list the property on the MLS for a quick sale. This strategy may generate substantially less of a profit, but it can be a quick turnaround.

So these were my three exit strategies prior to finalizing the deal, then I recently got the bad news that the dental office has vacated due to retirement. No heads up during two months of negotiating. I found out during my physical inspection. Good thing that it's only $700/month loss in income, but I think it prevents me from going with strategy 1 or 2, because then I'll have to eat about $600/month until I can fill these vacancies. The bad part about the vacant space from the dentist is that it's suited for a dentist. Otherwise, I'll have to demo and present it in a vanilla box, which can get expensive. I'm using my own capital reserves for these types of issues and "just in case sh*t happens." I was also considering bringing on a JV equity partner in case I ran out of reserves from the costs of tenant improvements, tenant leasing, deferred maintenance, and/or unforeseen expenses. I am heavily considering just listing the property and using the Pro forma and location to market its potential for a quick sale and profit.

So what do you all think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope I was thorough and concise, and not all over the place. Excuse the mixing of past and current tense (is/was) because I'm still undecided. Did I miss anything?

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
12y

Form what you have said it sounds like the "master lease option" is the way to go to limit your risk so you can walk but give you the upside if your plan to turn around and create equity works.

The key even with a MLO is how much TIME you will devote to this property and endeavor versus alternative investments and returns you could be making. Maybe you make 300k in 3 years profit but could you have made even more putting this time into more lucrative deals during that time period??

The seller doesn't sound motivated to take a big haircut in price if they are at 900k and change on the note and want 1.4 mill. Sounds like they want someone to take over day to day but not painful enough where they will accept anything to get rid of the problem.

No legal advice.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Holley, NY · Member since 2011 · 507 posts · 347 votes
    12y

    Here is my view from 10,000 feet - changing income means changing price. When you buy commercial property, you are buying an income stream. The income stream has changed, therefore, so has the value. In my opinion, I would strongly consider renegotiating in order to get either a better price or improved cash flow.

    Secondly, you mentioned that a vacating dentist was the reason for the change. This brings up a major concern that I have very little knowledge of. You also mentioned this tenant has been there over 30 years, which makes this potentially a larger concern. I highly recommend that during your due diligence you speak with an expert with regards to the dentist's occupancy within the space, more specifically, any potential issues due to x-ray's. I once looked at a property (the limit of my experience) that was formerly a dentist office and the presence of and former use of x-ray equipment was a major red flag. This doesn't mean "run away", this only means know what you may have to deal with. If there is an environmental issue, now is the time to know, not after you own it.

    Thirdly, you said many of the tenants have been there over 30 years. The parting of the dentist suggests that the current tenants may be mom-and-pop operations. What happens if/when other tenants retire? You need to look at the quality of the tenant closely, not just the fact that they have been there a long time. If you buy the building and raise the rents, could that be enough for other tenants to simply say, "I'm retiring" too? That will do a lot of bad things to your plans.

    I don't know anything about the deal other than what you have shared, but I strongly suspect the owner knew about the dentist, or minimally he suspected the dentist might be leaving, which is part of his decision to sell. I would check and double-check everything. I am not familiar with going cap rates in your area. Based on the type of tenants you have described, the need for updates, etc. I would assume that best case this is a B-class property or maybe a quality C-class. Research cap rates for other similar properties in the area. Talk with some brokers to get a feel for the market. If I were to take a wild guess not knowing anything about the market, a 7.5 cap is probably too aggressive for your value estimate. You might be surprised to find it is actually in the double digits. Don't talk yourself into a bad deal.

    I really like your plan with multiple exit strategies. Keep thinking that way and keep "the worst" in mind as you look at each one. Ideally, ALL exit strategies should make you money and not end up being an "oh sh... solution".

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Form what you have said it sounds like the "master lease option" is the way to go to limit your risk so you can walk but give you the upside if your plan to turn around and create equity works.

    The key even with a MLO is how much TIME you will devote to this property and endeavor versus alternative investments and returns you could be making. Maybe you make 300k in 3 years profit but could you have made even more putting this time into more lucrative deals during that time period??

    The seller doesn't sound motivated to take a big haircut in price if they are at 900k and change on the note and want 1.4 mill. Sounds like they want someone to take over day to day but not painful enough where they will accept anything to get rid of the problem.

    No legal advice.

  • Realtor · Ventura County, CA · Member since 2012 · 126 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    Thanks for your responses Adam and Joel. You guys made some great points. I will, most likely, list the property for the seller. Sorry for the delay with my response.

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    @Tim Soto

    "But the seller was firm on his price ($1.4M), yet he did agree to let me take over payments of the existing balance ($990K) and he would carry the difference with no interest or payments until I can cash him out. "

    Tim can you explain this part more. I am currently trying to do the same thing on a 12 unit rental. Wouldn't the bank holding the mortgage have to agree to let you take over the payments as the new owner???

  • Realtor · Ventura County, CA · Member since 2012 · 126 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    "But the seller was firm on his price ($1.4M), yet he did agree to let me take over payments of the existing balance ($990K) and he would carry the difference with no interest or payments until I can cash him out. "

    Hi Jarrett,

    Yes, we agreed on a sales price of $1.4M. There is an existing mortgage with a balance of $990K. I purchase the property at the $1.4M price "Subject-to" the existing mortgage (take over payments), in which case, seller Deed's property over to me and I record deed. I know some may be concerned about the "Due on Sales" clause in the mortgages, but I have yet to have a lender exercise that right. We then draft a subordinate note for the remaining balance with no interest or payments, to be due at agreed upon date (notarize and record). With this agreement, after stabilizing the property, I can go to a lender as an owner, as opposed to a buyer and get approve for 75-80% refinance and cash seller out. Of course, you would have to know the ARV ahead of time. Let me know if i missed anything else or if you have any other questions.

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    Thanks that was helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.