Failed BRRR with a scam artist called Mid South Turnkey (Kenny Shaw). https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-the-90000-nightmare-at-2028-amity/
I'm working with a group now to liquidate some properties they purchased from Kenny. I'm happy to connect you guys if needed. Awful stories coming out of this entire thing and I hate when investors get caught up with the wrong people.
I'm assisting these investors to liquidate these problem houses. I'm happy to try and help any of you guys as well. I'm discounting commissions and trying to waive all the fee's I can to help you guys get out this the best way possible.
I hate this is happening to investors but it sounds like things are catching up to him.
Failed BRRR with a scam artist called Mid South Turnkey (Kenny Shaw). https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-the-90000-nightmare-at-2028-amity/
My wife and I were scammed by Kenneth Shaw and a group called Memphis Mid South Turnkey Homes. They took our money, promised to rehab a single family home, and then went radio silent now for about 7 months. We are now seeking legal action against the charlatans. I documented what happened here: https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-t...
Failed BRRR with a scam artist called Mid South Turnkey (Kenny Shaw). https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-the-90000-nightmare-at-2028-amity/
@Sean Dempsey First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience.
How did you first come in contact with MMSTH? Did they approach you? Did you approach them? Or were you referred to them by someone that had a good experience?
As for the property, I see MMSTH acted as a wholesaler and bought the property for $13k and then sold it to you for $56,250 the same day. Did that purchase price include funds to compete a portion of the rehab? And then how did you get to the $90k figure?
Was there any financing put in place, or did you make the investment in all cash?
From the image on Google Maps from 3 months ago, it doesn't look like anything has been done (compared to the image from Jan 2022).
Is there a reason you haven't pursued legal action yet?
Failed BRRR with a scam artist called Mid South Turnkey (Kenny Shaw). https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-the-90000-nightmare-at-2028-amity/
@Sean Dempsey First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience.
How did you first come in contact with MMSTH? Did they approach you? Did you approach them? Or were you referred to them by someone that had a good experience?
As for the property, I see MMSTH acted as a wholesaler and bought the property for $13k and then sold it to you for $56,250 the same day. Did that purchase price include funds to compete a portion of the rehab? And then how did you get to the $90k figure?
Was there any financing put in place, or did you make the investment in all cash?
From the image on Google Maps from 3 months ago, it doesn't look like anything has been done (compared to the image from Jan 2022).
Is there a reason you haven't pursued legal action yet?
It was 56k to purchase plus 30k to rehab. Plus closing costs, insurance etc to get to 90k. I am giving them 24 hours to buy the property back from us otherwise I am going to involve attorneys. Do you have a local attorney you’d recommend?
Failed BRRR with a scam artist called Mid South Turnkey (Kenny Shaw). https://the-opposition.com/2025/06/mid-south-turnkey-homes-the-90000-nightmare-at-2028-amity/
@Sean Dempsey First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience.
How did you first come in contact with MMSTH? Did they approach you? Did you approach them? Or were you referred to them by someone that had a good experience?
As for the property, I see MMSTH acted as a wholesaler and bought the property for $13k and then sold it to you for $56,250 the same day. Did that purchase price include funds to compete a portion of the rehab? And then how did you get to the $90k figure?
Was there any financing put in place, or did you make the investment in all cash?
From the image on Google Maps from 3 months ago, it doesn't look like anything has been done (compared to the image from Jan 2022).
Is there a reason you haven't pursued legal action yet?
It was 56k to purchase plus 30k to rehab. Plus closing costs, insurance etc to get to 90k. I am giving them 24 hours to buy the property back from us otherwise I am going to involve attorneys. Do you have a local attorney you’d recommend?
@Sean Dempsey I don't, but my "Memphis-guy", @Jamie Parker, might know a local attorney. Good luck to you.
Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Sean, sorry this happened to you, and a little advice for the future. Even if a property is marketed as "turnkey" always get you own inspection and appraisal. Never trust someone else's numbers. Unfortunately, these sort of scams are not uncommon when buying turnkey, which is always marketed as somehow being a safer way to start investing.....
I am dealing with these guys as well. They will just ghost you for weeks at a time, make a promise then fail to follow thru. They at least finished my rehab and got the refinance done, but they place went untouched for 4 months after I purchased it, when they had explicitly told me that the rehab was underway. They owe me about $5000 in late fees that is part of their "guranatee", but If they never respond to my calls or emails then all I can do is fly to memphis and approach them in person.
Do you have any idea if the address listed on their website is their legit office space?
Would hate to waste a whole day flying to memphis just to visit a mailbox...
Mid South Turnkey Homes 5865 Ridgeway Center Parkway, Suite 300 Memphis, TN 38120
I am dealing with these guys as well. They will just ghost you for weeks at a time, make a promise then fail to follow thru. They at least finished my rehab and got the refinance done, but they place went untouched for 4 months after I purchased it, when they had explicitly told me that the rehab was underway. They owe me about $5000 in late fees that is part of their "guranatee", but If they never respond to my calls or emails then all I can do is fly to memphis and approach them in person.
Do you have any idea if the address listed on their website is their legit office space?
Would hate to waste a whole day flying to memphis just to visit a mailbox...
Mid South Turnkey Homes 5865 Ridgeway Center Parkway, Suite 300 Memphis, TN 38120
Unfortunately I do not know if their address is legitimate (I sincerely doubt it). I had a local person drop by a few weeks ago to the address listed but it was a very sketchy interaction and nothing came of it. I wouldn’t expect anything to amount from an in person encounter. I think involving attorneys is the only language Kenny speaks. He is a con man who makes a ton of promises and talks smooth on the phone but never follows through with any of his guarantees
Realtor · Port St Lucie, FL · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 12 votes
1y
I had the same bad experience with them. I was fortunate that my flip was about 90% complete when things unraveled, and it did appraise close to the original estimate. I’ve since brought in a new property management company to help stabilize things and move forward. It’s been a slow rebuild, but I’m staying proactive.
Let me know if someone on this thread speaks with a Lawyer and thinks we have a case against him/them.
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
This is really unfortunate. We’re getting calls almost every week to clean up his mess. In some cases, we’re able to help, but many of the homes were either poorly renovated or never renovated at all. As a result, investors are stuck with the option of spend far more than expected to make the property rent-ready and being "all in" at 2x what they though or facing the alternative of selling at a massive loss. Here is some advice as someone who works with a lot of out of state investors over the past 15 years.
1) Google their name. Kenny's name came up on page 1 of Google as being convicted of real estate fraud in 2002.
2) Get an appraisal and inspection. If the seller has done this for you, talk to both.
3) If the seller is attached to a Property Management company, check out not only the review score, but how many. I say the # of reviews b/c quantity shows longevity. Experience matters in this business.
4) Do a thorough background check on the company owner. I once presented at the same event as Kenny and 1 other turnkey providers. Every other presenter came prepared with a professional presentation, clear data, and a strong operational story. Kenny, on the other hand, had no presentation and relied on exaggerated, too-good-to-be-true claims and still walked away with sales because people focused on the numbers instead of the substance.
On the surface, buying, renovating, and renting out investment properties sounds simple. But once you scale beyond one or two homes a month, success depends entirely on having a solid foundation of accounting, project management, property management, and a reliable support team. Without that structure, the whole operation eventually collapses.
All of what I provided if done will avoid getting conned.
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Just today, we got this email. Looks like he is trying to collect November rent from his tenants after his management company has been shut down and AppFolio account cancelled. What a crook.
3) Please provide the following wording to each of the tenants. If the tenants pay November's rent, I won't be seeing the money with Kenny's money problems. We need to stop those payments from happening.
Just today, we got this email. Looks like he is trying to collect November rent from his tenants after his management company has been shut down and AppFolio account cancelled. What a crook.
3) Please provide the following wording to each of the tenants. If the tenants pay November's rent, I won't be seeing the money with Kenny's money problems. We need to stop those payments from happening.
Kenny is human garbage. What a DISPICABLE human being!
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo
@Sean Dempsey I agree. It’s people like him who fuel skepticism in the real estate investing space and make it harder for legitimate operators to earn trust. If you need help, send me a DM. we have been able to help some people with the Kenny Shaw fallout.
@Sean Dempsey I agree. It’s people like him who fuel skepticism in the real estate investing space and make it harder for legitimate operators to earn trust. If you need help, send me a DM. we have been able to help some people with the Kenny Shaw fallout.
Hey alex, I am a wholesaler local to memphis looking to connect with others from BP
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9mo
It’s too late this time. But next time you buy a “turnkey” property, it should be “turnkey”. That means already rehabbed, it’s literally the definition of turnkey. Usually it already has a rent paying tenant either installed or at least with a signed lease. Worst case you would; have had a fully rehabbed home you could rent out with no real risk of being ghosted. Good luck.
It’s too late this time. But next time you buy a “turnkey” property, it should be “turnkey”. That means already rehabbed, it’s literally the definition of turnkey. Usually it already has a rent paying tenant either installed or at least with a signed lease. Worst case you would; have had a fully rehabbed home you could rent out with no real risk of being ghosted. Good luck.
There are other companies in memphis that offer "Turnkey" REI nation, Memphis investment properties particularly. While I have never done business with them, they handle the situation differently. With Memphis Investment Properties, the investor doesnt close on the property until after the repairs are done. Probably because of this very reason. However there should be something that can be done as remedy to investors that have, not simply lost an investment, but victims of possible malpractice, misrepresentation or fraud. I get what you mean tho
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo
I noticed an affiliate was involved in helping Kenny sell his homes. Affiliates rarely perform real due diligence on the providers they promote they’re typically focused on earning a commission. In theory, their role should be to add safeguards and prevent situations like this, but most end up chasing whoever advertises the best numbers because those deals are easier to sell. Instead, they should be partnering with established turnkey providers who have real operations, staffed departments, and proven processes. But because many affiliates prioritize flashy numbers over substance, they often align themselves with the Kenny Shaw types.
I’d skip the affiliate route entirely. Identify a few companies you’re interested in, fly out to their markets, and meet their teams in person. And just to be clear a real team is more than an operator and a project manager. Choose the company that best aligns with your goals and the one you feel you can build the strongest working relationship with.
@Jamie Parker thanks for sharing. It is a shame what this guy has done to so many people.
I'm working with a group now to liquidate some properties they purchased from Kenny. I'm happy to connect you guys if needed. Awful stories coming out of this entire thing and I hate when investors get caught up with the wrong people.
I'm assisting these investors to liquidate these problem houses. I'm happy to try and help any of you guys as well. I'm discounting commissions and trying to waive all the fee's I can to help you guys get out this the best way possible.
I hate this is happening to investors but it sounds like things are catching up to him.
We also fell victim to this group. We are considered "lucky" as we said we'd only do 1 at first to see how things go. That said, we still are are set to lose $20k-$30k. Currently saying prayers for a strong rental market in the next couple months as we are currently doing repairs that were never done. We are now a fully year into this nightmare and are only seeing an end once we took it into our own hands.
For anyone involved also following the thread, we heard that Kenny has now filed for bankruptcy. We haven't heard if all of his companies have filed, but we won't be surprised to see a domino effect here. Good luck to anyone still involved with this, and hopefully we can all make it out.