Duplex Deal w/ Owner Finance Opportunity

Duplex Deal w/ Owner Finance Opportunity

Property Manager · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes

I am a property manager and I have come across a deal that has easy potential to convert to from single family to a duplex. The property is currently listed both for rent and for sale. The rental listing is asking $1,150 for both floors rented as one unit. 

However, in the current layout, the two floors have their own front doors, and are only accessible to each other by exterior stairs, and both floors currently have full bathrooms. The upstairs unit also has a full kitchen and bedroom, while the downstairs unit has only a living room and bathroom. The property is on pier and beam foundation so I can fairly easily install a kitchen and plumbing myself in the downstairs unit converting it to a studio, while leaving the upstairs as a 1x1. The property is also inside the HOA community that I currently reside in, making it convenient to self-manage as a rental.

I estimate the property to need about $10k-$15k in repairs including adding the downstairs kitchen, and I can afford about a 5% down payment. With today's interest rates and my inability to afford a down payment more than 5%, I can't make the deal pencil out with positive cashflow using conventional financing. But the owner has indicated that they'd be willing to do seller financing. I have no experience negotiating a seller financed deal. What would be a good starting point to negotiate while prioritizing cashflow?

Asking price: $160,000

Potential Rent: $1,600/month ($900 + $700)

0Reply
40 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 170 votes
    1y

    I would suggest you get insurance quotes with the property as-is and if you would convert to a duplex. That 5% DP, seems low, also depending on what negotiated interest rate, to be able to cashflow

  • Member since 2025 · 71 posts · 27 votes
    1y

    Your HOA isn't going to like that lol

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    DM us for advice as too much to type...

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Daniel TanasaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 351 posts · 174 votes
    1y

    Hello Jeff, 

    I would check first with the HOA to make sure they allow converting it in a duplex, in 99% of the cases they don't.

    If the HOA is fine with it, then start negotiating the terms in your favor. I would start with a 5% down if that's all you have and maybe a 2% interest. They will probably counter you, but that is a good starting point.

    Good luck! Let us know how it goes. 

  • Rod HanksBusiness Member
    Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
    1y

    Is it zoned for a duplex? Is the HOA ok with a duplex conversion? Thats your starting point before you do anything else.

    Rod Hanks Insurance4.9153 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.