How long does deal analysis actually take you?

How long does deal analysis actually take you?

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 5 votes

I am beginning my real estate Investment and I just spent 3-4 hours analyzing a property in Excel, and even then, I am not sure about my calculation. Is this normal, or am I overthinking and overanalyzing?

For those who done this for a while:
How long does it typically take you to fully analyze a deal?
What tools are you utilizing? (BP Calculator, Excel, Something else?)
What metrics do you use to determine if it is a good deal or not?

Also, have you ever missed out on any opportunities because your analysis took too long to finish? Are there any tools that could perform this analysis and give you a verdict (Good, Maybe, Bad deal), and how much would the tool cost?

Thank you

5Reply
346 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Griwan Shrestha:

I am beginning my real estate Investment and I just spent 3-4 hours analyzing a property in Excel, and even then, I am not sure about my calculation. Is this normal, or am I overthinking and overanalyzing?

For those who done this for a while:
How long does it typically take you to fully analyze a deal?
What tools are you utilizing? (BP Calculator, Excel, Something else?)
What metrics do you use to determine if it is a good deal or not?

Also, have you ever missed out on any opportunities because your analysis took too long to finish? Are there any tools that could perform this analysis and give you a verdict (Good, Maybe, Bad deal), and how much would the tool cost?

Thank you

You have what others call "analysis paralysis". I'll bet you're an engineer, I'm not. I'm a opportunist, in a good sense. I can see an opportunity because of experience and take advantage of it. It sounds like you need time & experience or someone who can help you avoid the mistakes from "analysis paralysis". 
See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Central New York · Member since 2023 · 207 posts · 96 votes
    8mo
    I just run a quick (and by quick I mean 1-2 minute) pro forma on an excel sheet for clients. That gives me NOI, cash flow, and cash on cash within seconds and some basic plug and play. While not exhaustive, it gives the initial “yes or no” if a property is worth further exploring
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Griwan Shrestha:

    I am beginning my real estate Investment and I just spent 3-4 hours analyzing a property in Excel, and even then, I am not sure about my calculation. Is this normal, or am I overthinking and overanalyzing?

    For those who done this for a while:
    How long does it typically take you to fully analyze a deal?
    What tools are you utilizing? (BP Calculator, Excel, Something else?)
    What metrics do you use to determine if it is a good deal or not?

    Also, have you ever missed out on any opportunities because your analysis took too long to finish? Are there any tools that could perform this analysis and give you a verdict (Good, Maybe, Bad deal), and how much would the tool cost?

    Thank you

    You have what others call "analysis paralysis". I'll bet you're an engineer, I'm not. I'm a opportunist, in a good sense. I can see an opportunity because of experience and take advantage of it. It sounds like you need time & experience or someone who can help you avoid the mistakes from "analysis paralysis". 
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Griwan Shrestha

    I created an excel sheet. The best solution is to pick a few neighborhoods you want to invest in. Analyze things that come on the market. Look at what improvements to the property you could do and at what cost. Compare that to other properties.

    This is how I started a couple years after the 2008 crash. There were tons of distressed properties and you could see what the property looked like and then it would reappear as a flip 4-6 months later. Even though I was mostly a BRRRR investor I learned my markets. I still use that same method today when Looking at new neighborhoods.

  • Remote | Operations & Deal Support · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    Early on, spending a few hours per deal is common. With repetition, that usually drops to minutes for a first-pass analysis and more time only on deals that survive the initial screen.
    The key shift is separating “quick filter” analysis from deeper underwriting.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    8mo

    Hi @Griwan Shrestha. What you’re experiencing is completely normal, real estate analysis takes time until you build muscle memory with the numbers. Most experienced investors can run a thorough analysis in 30–60 minutes once they’re familiar with the process. Many use a mix of Excel for custom modeling and tools like the BiggerPockets calculators to speed things up. Key metrics usually include cash-on-cash return, cap rate, cash flow, and total return over your hold period. It’s easy to miss opportunities if you overanalyze, so a good approach is to do a quick first-pass screen to rule deals out, then dive deeper into the ones that make the cut. There isn’t a fully automated “good/bad deal” tool that replaces judgment, but calculators and templates. My partner and I have a document we work through to analyze deals.

    A structured Excel template for real estate deals which includes: basic property info like address, type, size, purchase price, and closing costs. Track income with rent, other revenue, and vacancy rates, and calculate effective gross income. Include expenses such as taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance, management fees, and CapEx reserves. Add financing details like loan amount, interest rate, term, and monthly debt service. Calculate cash flow before and after debt, cash-on-cash return, cap rate, and potential total return at sale. Include scenario analysis for best/base/worst cases and a notes section for risks or follow-up questions.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    8mo

    Hey Griwan,

    Analyzing a property shouldn't take 3-4 hours. You need a checklist, excel sheet, or some tool that you can use to quickly determine whether a property is worth visiting. If you are unsure of accuracy of your data points, you can reach out to professionals to confirm your findings (contractors for renovation estimates, realtors for arv and rents, lender for PITI, etc). Real estate investors are problem solvers. They fix other people's problems to profit!

  • Member since 2025 · 316 posts · 119 votes
    8mo

    I have a comprehensive sheet that I spent 10 hours to build. After that, everything is pretty straightforward and automatically generated with 2-3 inputs, and each property takes about 5 minutes.

  • Ben FernandezBusiness Member
    Realtor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2025 · 169 posts · 97 votes
    8mo

    - SFR - 5 minutes

    - MFR (2-4 units) - 10 minutes

    - MFR (5 unit+) - 15-20 minutes

    How long does it typically take you to fully analyze a deal?

    - <10 minutes average

    What tools are you utilizing? (BP Calculator, Excel, Something else?)

    - Excel - I created my own

    What metrics do you use to determine if it is a good deal or not?

    - ARV - all line item costs = Profit

    - NOI - Debt Service = Cash Flow

    - ROI, Cash flow per door, and cap rate

    - Residential uses comps (PPSF) and commercial uses cap rate (comps).

    Also, have you ever missed out on any opportunities because your analysis took too long to finish? 

    - No

    Are there any tools that could perform this analysis and give you a verdict (Good, Maybe, Bad deal), and how much would the tool cost?

    - Several. Feel free to connect. If you don't have experience with how much renovations will cost, this could be your primary pain point.

  • Member since 2026 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Hi Griwa

    Great question — and yes, spending 3–4 hours on early deals is completely normal.


    In the beginning, analysis takes longer because you’re building pattern recognition. Over time, you’ll recognize quickly whether something is worth deeper underwriting.


    Personally, I break it into two stages:


    Stage 1 – Quick Filter (10–15 minutes, many times much less):

    • Purchase price vs realistic rent

    • Rough PITI at today's rates
    • Taxes and insurance (especially important in Texas)
    • Is there an option for creative finance?
    If it doesn’t work at a high level, I stop there.


    Stage 2 – Full Underwrite (60–90 minutes):
    • Vacancy and reserves
    • Rehab assumptions
    • Financing sensitivity (what happens if rates are higher than expected?)
    • Exit assumptions that don’t rely on optimism


    In DFW right now, the biggest mistake I see is people modeling deals at numbers that only work under perfect conditions. If the deal needs rates to fall or rents to jump to work, it’s fragile.


    As for tools — spreadsheets are great. The real skill isn’t the calculator, it’s the assumptions.


    If you’re analyzing in Arlington, feel free to share general numbers — happy to sanity check.


  • Developer · West Dover VT · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6mo

    Hi Griwan,

    That’s completely normal — most people underestimate how much goes into properly analyzing a deal.

    Early on, it can easily take a few hours because you’re building the framework and second-guessing assumptions. Over time, that compresses significantly.

    For me, a quick initial pass on a deal is usually 10–20 minutes just to see if it’s even worth digging into. A more detailed review can take longer depending on complexity.

    A few things that help simplify it:

    • Focus on a few key drivers first — purchase price, realistic rent, renovation costs, and exit assumptions
    • Small changes in those assumptions can have a big impact on returns
    • Most “good-looking” deals fall apart when you stress test those variables

    Tools can help (Excel, BP calculators, etc.), but they don’t replace judgment — they just organize the numbers.

    I’ve definitely seen people miss deals from overanalyzing, but I’ve also seen more people lose money by moving forward without properly understanding the assumptions.

    The key is having a quick filter to decide:
    “Is this worth deeper analysis or not?”

    Happy to take a look at one of your deals if you want another perspective — sometimes a second set of eyes can speed that process up a lot.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Griwan Shrestha:

    I am beginning my real estate Investment and I just spent 3-4 hours analyzing a property in Excel, and even then, I am not sure about my calculation. Is this normal, or am I overthinking and overanalyzing?

    For those who done this for a while:
    How long does it typically take you to fully analyze a deal?
    What tools are you utilizing? (BP Calculator, Excel, Something else?)
    What metrics do you use to determine if it is a good deal or not?

    Also, have you ever missed out on any opportunities because your analysis took too long to finish? Are there any tools that could perform this analysis and give you a verdict (Good, Maybe, Bad deal), and how much would the tool cost?

    Thank you

    Early on, spending a few hours on analysis is pretty common. I’d rather over-analyze than jump in blind. Over time, you’ll develop a quicker workflow and learn which numbers truly matter. I use a combination of Excel and the BiggerPockets calculator, and some other software depending on deal complexity, but nothing replaces knowing your markets, costs, and exit strategy cold. My core metrics are cash-on-cash return, cap rate, etc. If you get stuck trying to make the numbers perfect, you risk missing out on deals. That said, a quick, solid analysis beats no analysis. There are tools that automate this, but they’re only as good as the inputs you provide. Focus on building your muscle for realistic assumptions and decision speed.

    And as someone else mentioned, analysis paralysis is a thing. In this business, there are a few psychological principles that it helps to understand, and that's a good one to be aware of.
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    The main things that I look at are location and comps. Since I know my market very well, I know whether a location is good or not immediately, and usually know most of the comps already too but usually run them quickly anyway, it takes a few minutes. I just need to know if I’m buying in a good location and what price I need to pay to capture instant equity. I don’t bother with spreadsheets or analysis tools at all anymore. The three golden rules of real estate are location, location, and location. If you don’t know your market well enough to distinguish between a good location or not, and a good price or not, your best bet will be to work closely with a professional and learn your market until you do. Spreadsheets are a waste of time and often mislead people into bad locations because worse locations often have better spreadsheet results but worse actual results in reality when it comes to operating the property due to things you can’t predict like higher turnover, tenant defaults, property damage and theft, lack of rent and price appreciation compared to good locations, etc. Most people underwrite properties like good locations and bad locations will perform the same when they definitely don’t. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    @Steve K.

    yep.

    2 questions for me.

    1. do I want to own in this area? 2. could I get most or all of my capital back on a BRRRR?

    that's it.

  • Specialist · Greeley, CO · Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    6mo

    Griwan, 3-4 hours on your first few deals is completely normal — you're not overthinking it. You're learning what matters, and that takes time upfront. The speed comes with reps.

    Here's what to expect as you keep going:

    Your first 10 deals will take 2-4 hours each because you're building your spreadsheet, second-guessing formulas, and figuring out which assumptions actually move the needle. After 10-20 deals, you'll be down to 45-90 minutes because your template is dialed in and you stop modeling things that don't matter. After 50+ deals, you'll do a 15-minute quick screen and only go deep on the ones worth it.

    On your Excel concern — the fact that you're not sure about your calculations is actually a good sign. It means you're thinking critically instead of just trusting a formula you copied from YouTube. One thing that helped me early on was back-testing my model against a deal with known numbers (like a listing that shows actual income/expenses). If your model spits out roughly the same NOI and cash flow as the listing shows, your formulas are probably fine.

    For the metrics question, here's what I'd focus on at your stage:

    Cash-on-cash return — this is your real return on the cash you actually put in. I use this as my primary filter. Below 8% and I need a really good reason to keep looking at it.

    DSCR — can the property pay its debt from income alone? Lenders want 1.2x minimum, I want 1.3x+ so there's a cushion for vacancies or surprise repairs.

    Cap rate — useful for comparing similar properties in the same market, but don't compare a Philly cap rate to a Kansas City cap rate. They're different markets with different risk profiles.

    Expense ratio — if operating expenses are eating more than 45-50% of gross income, figure out why before you go further.

    To answer your question about missing deals because analysis was too slow — yes, early on. But the fix wasn't finding a faster tool. It was learning to screen faster. Before I open any spreadsheet now, I spend 5 minutes looking at price, realistic rent potential, and property condition. That alone filters out 80% of listings and saves hours.

    Keep grinding through the deals. 20 more from now and you'll be twice as fast without even realizing it.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    An experienced investor can do "napkin math" in a couple of minutes and make a decision shortly after

    Experienced investors know what works and what doesn't. 3-4 hours on a property is likely overthinking it, but can make sense if you're very new just trying to understand and study how it works. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Cody WY, USA · Member since 2020 · 50 posts · 31 votes
    6mo

    3–4 hours is pretty normal starting out, especially in Excel. Thats also kind of the problem with excel. you can spend hours building something and still not feel confident in the answer or just waste a lot of time fixing equations.

    At this point I try to get to a “yes / no / maybe” as fast as possible. Most deals don’t need perfect precision, they just need to be directionally right. If I can’t tell within a few minutes whether something is even close to working, I usually move on. If it passes that quick filter, I’ll spend more time dialing it in and stress testing it.

    Tools definitely help with this. Being able to plug in numbers quickly and test different scenarios side by side makes a big difference.

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6mo

    Completely normal starting out... honestly I’d rather see someone spend a few hours understanding a deal than rush into something they don’t fully get.

    What I’ve seen over time is it really breaks into two speeds:

    – Quick filter (5–10 min): Does this even have a chance to work?
    – Deep dive: Only if it passes that first screen

    The biggest shift isn’t the tool (Excel vs calculators), it’s getting better at your assumptions, rents, expenses, and exit. That’s what actually drives the deal.

    Early on it takes longer because you’re building that muscle. Eventually you’ll be able to tell pretty quickly what’s worth your time and what isn’t.

    If anything, the bigger risk isn’t taking too long — it’s getting comfortable with bad assumptions.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6mo

    If you come across any deals you’re considering, buy & hold, flip, whatever. I’d be happy to take a look and give you a clear idea of what I think the deal is actually worth and any red flags I see. I specialize in real estate underwriting and would be happy to take a deeper look at any properties you have.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.